Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: marines

importeater91 is offline Member

marines

ever since i was 17 i wanted to join the marines. i was all signed up and almost all through the process and i back out of it at the last min because i met a girl..stupid i know but ever since then ive been regretting it and wondering what it would have been like if i did follow through with it. im 23 and im thinking about joining again. i was gonna do the reserves but u have to sign up for 4 yrs or do full time for 2. i think i might go full time if i decide to. what do you guys think of this? i know there are some people on here that are in or have been in. do you ever regret going in? i just dont want to live the rest of my life regretting that i didnt join.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I signed up and shipping for bt in april (airforce though) I went to college cause was pressured by my parents about my future even though I always wanted to join the military. I finally signed up and will see if I will regret this decision or not. Im still thinking of a way to tell my parents seems stupid but if you where only there when I was 18 and told them I wanted to sign up... gl man

my mom acts like she doesnt care that i go but i can tell that she doesnt want me to. before when i was gonna i had to go to the docs to get my knee checked out and cleared because i had knee surgery when i was young. they were suppose to send a letter to me saying i was all set but my mom said that it never came...i think she threw it out. now when i talk about going in shes just says " your not going in" like she has say weather or not i can go or not. ive talked to my moms bf about it and hes telling me to go for it. if i decide to im not telling her untill everythings official.

how old are you lex? im 23 do you think thats too late to join? you know since every one usually joins at 18-19

Blog Entries
    same here man I know its my decision but I just hate the feeling of making my parents worry. I always had a good relationship with my parents and knowing that they will be disappointed in me hurts me more then anything. But im just going to tell them thats what I want to do and thats that

Blog Entries
    im 23 also

Quote Originally Posted by Lexed View Post
    same here man I know its my decision but I just hate the feeling of making my parents worry. I always had a good relationship with my parents and knowing that they will be disappointed in me hurts me more then anything. But im just going to tell them thats what I want to do and thats that
    i dont think they will be disappointed in you. they just dont want to see anything bad happen to you with all this stuff going on over seas

im 23 also
    good now i dont feel as bad lol

Blog Entries
    they get people who are in there 30's that join your fine

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    we had a guy that joined right after 9/11 and he ws 31. We called him Old Man, he kept gettin himself in trouble because he didn't like taking orders from 19yo Cpls and 20yo Sgts, lol. If you join the Corps, go 03

"chewin tobacco, chewin tobacco, chewin tobacco - spit. If you ain't 03 you ain't SH**"

I love that one...

Or, Join the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman. You (can) get stationed with Marine Infantry and basically get to be a marine without having to deal with all the BS. Hospital Corpsman have been awarded more Medal of Honors than any other MOS in any service, Cuz we are some baaadddd MOFO's

yeah im pretty set on going in the corps. my cousin is thinking about joining also but he wants the army. but he said he will go where ever i go so we can go to boot camp together. whats 03?

Quote Originally Posted by importeater91 View Post
    yeah im pretty set on going in the corps. my cousin is thinking about joining also but he wants the army. but he said he will go where ever i go so we can go to boot camp together. whats 03?
    03 is the first two numbers of an MOS designator. 03' are all infantryman.

0311 - basic ri fleman
    0331 - Machinegunner
    0341 - mortarman
    0351 - Assaultman

this is all the jobs available in the Corps http://www.vma-aw-242.com/moscodes.htm

Some are officers, some you have to be in for a while or go to a special school for like Recon or EOD. Your recruiter should go over all the jobs available as entry level for you

yeah thats what i want to get into..and get int some type of Recon...how long do you have to be in to do Recon...oh and whats EOD?

Blog Entries
    importer why not go for army then and try out for ranger/sf you wouldnt have to wait 2+ years to get into reacon and thats if you get it. unlike in army you can sign contract and go for it right away

Blog Entries
    and plus dosnt you cousin want to join army?

im gonna take a look at both to see what they have to offer...id uoon its something adout the corps that seem more bad ass lol

and plus dosnt you cousin want to join army?
    yeah he does

yeah thats what i want to get into..and get int some type of Recon...how long do you have to be in to do Recon...oh and whats EOD?
    You have to be in a battalion for at least 2 years before you can take the physical test to be accepted for Recon. But, recon isn't all it's hyped up to be. They are just glorified grunts (0311's). Thye get more expensive and a couple schools but nothing crazy. Force Recon is a different story, but Bn Recon are just glorified grunts

EOD = Explosives Ordinance Disposal. A pretty tuff school to get into and pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizz28 View Post

EOD = Explosives Ordinance Disposal. A pretty tuff school to get into and pass.
    are they like the bomb squad? whats force recon, isnt it all the same?

are they like the bomb squad? whats force recon, isnt it all the same?
    EOD, yes they are kinda like a bomb squad. They get called to possible IED's and send out a robot to check them out and possible drop a charge onto and neutralize it.

Battalion Recon aren't even considered special forces, thier primary and really only job is reconnaissance of enemy activities and locations...hence the name. You have to be a grunt (03) for at least 2 years before you can take the test to be initiated into the recon pipeline.

Force Recon are completely seperate, they are considered special forces and are just a step below SEALs in training. These are the hardest of the hard from Bn Recon and they go through some pretty intense schools/training. They are hand selected from Recon Bn

Something else to look into if you want to go the "special forces" route is STA platoon (Surveillance and Target Acquisition) or formally known as Snipers. This is one of the hardest schools to pass in the service, it has a drop out rate that rivals BUDs. Bad MOFO's though
    Last edited by Dizz28; 12-28-2007 at 06:02 PM.

ive always wanted to try and be a sniper , or anything " special forces" but wasnt sure what the name was. i would like to go into anything that would make it easier for me to get into the police force, stateys and anything along those lines when i got out of the corps

ive always wanted to try and be a sniper , or anything " special forces" but wasnt sure what the name was. i would like to go into anything that would make it easier for me to get into the police force, stateys and anything along those lines when i got out of the corps
    Being infantry pretty much guarantees you the chance to take the exam. Soooo many former Marines that I know got out and became State or local cops. This seems to be the easiest transition from Infantry to police force. There is also Military Police in the Marines, this might be the best route if you are planning on gettin out and joining the force

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    ever since i was 17 i wanted to join the marines. i was all signed up and almost all through the process and i back out of it at the last min because i met a girl..stupid i know but ever since then ive been regretting it and wondering what it would have been like if i did follow through with it. im 23 and im thinking about joining again. i was gonna do the reserves but u have to sign up for 4 yrs or do full time for 2. i think i might go full time if i decide to. what do you guys think of this? i know there are some people on here that are in or have been in. do you ever regret going in? i just dont want to live the rest of my life regretting that i didnt join.
    Are you my fvkin clone man? I did the same exact thing, down to leaving at the last minute for a girl (3 days till I was supposed to ship). I tried out college for a year but at this point in time I just want to travel, have money, and have fun. I actually checked out all the branches this time and found the Air Force to suit me the best, particuarly the Security Forces because they have a Special Investigations field within it modeled after the FBI which has always fascinated me. So do your research, if you already have, follow your heart. Nobody else but you knows whats best for you except yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018 View Post
    Are you my fvkin clone man? I did the same exact thing, down to leaving at the last minute for a girl (3 days till I was supposed to ship). I tried out college for a year but at this point in time I just want to travel, have money, and have fun. I actually checked out all the branches this time and found the Air Force to suit me the best, particuarly the Security Forces because they have a Special Investigations field within it modeled after the FBI which has always fascinated me. So do your research, if you already have, follow your heart. Nobody else but you knows whats best for you except yourself...
    The other branches have versions of this also. Very hard to get into and takes extensive background checks. I hope you never stole a piece of candy when you were 5! lol

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018 View Post
    the FBI always fasinated me also...is the air force the only way to get in?

the FBI always fasinated me also...is the air force the only way to get in?
    No, read my post right before yours. Navy and Marines have NCIS, Army has CID (criminal investigation division)

oh i didnt see that...i prob wot be able to get in...i have a couple things on my record regarding a bb gun and brass knuckles from when i was 18 lol...its not what u think they were just in my car and i got caught with them when i got puled over for speeding but i had to go to court over them

RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Blog Entries
    Force Recon are completely seperate, they are considered special forces and are just a step below SEALs in training. These are the hardest of the hard from Bn Recon and they go through some pretty intense schools/training. They are hand selected from Recon Bn

Something else to look into if you want to go the "special forces" route is STA platoon (Surveillance and Target Acquisition) or formally known as Snipers. This is one of the hardest schools to pass in the service, it has a drop out rate that rivals BUDs. Bad MOFO's though
    Prior to the SEAL rating that came out this year, most HM's that failed BUD/S went to Force. And STA does not even come close to BUD/S.

Import do what is best for you, nothing worse that when you are 40 years old and say shit WHAT IF. You're still young do what is best for you and to never live with regrets

Quote Originally Posted by rana173 View Post
    Prior to the SEAL rating that came out this year, most HM's that failed BUD/S went to Force. And STA does not even come close to BUD/S.

Import do what is best for you, nothing worse that when you are 40 years old and say shit WHAT IF. You're still young do what is best for you and to never live with regrets
    I was talking about the attrition rate of the scout sniper school. About 40 class up and around 9 graduate (20%) on average. It's a pretty intense school, but still doesn't campare to the intesity of BUDS.

Blog Entries
    I was talking about the attrition rate of the scout sniper school. About 40 class up and around 9 graduate (20%) on average.
    Well those standards are different, your talking about (Sniper school) that requires more skills than muscle. I agree it is a difficult school, it takes time and patiences.

i agree with you...that you should never live with regrets..i think that im gonna join...every one has been saying no..but i think there wrong and just go for it..im on probation for another 6 months so i think im gonna be going to boot camp in the summer

Blog Entries
    i agree with you...that you should never live with regrets..i think that im gonna join...every one has been saying no..but i think there wrong and just go for it..im on probation for another 6 months so i think im gonna be going to boot camp in the summer
    I wish you luck in your journey. Do your homework and find out what MOS would best suit you. Have you taken your ASVAB?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I signed up and shipping for bt in april (airforce though) I went to college cause was pressured by my parents about my future even though I always wanted to join the military. I finally signed up and will see if I will regret this decision or not. Im still thinking of a way to tell my parents seems stupid but if you where only there when I was 18 and told them I wanted to sign up... gl man

I can help you practice before you go, just let me know when you’re ready I’ll get my stick prepped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post

I can help you practice before you go, just let me know when you’re ready I’ll get my stick prepped.

lol omg dsm made my day

I wish you luck in your journey. Do your homework and find out what MOS would best suit you. Have you taken your ASVAB?
    i havent taken the actual one but ive taken the pre test one that you take at the office..but that was 5-6 yrs ago..ill just have to see how i do on the actual one when i take it...how bad is the boot camp in the summer? i hear the sand flees on paris island are a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post

Blog Entries
    i havent taken the actual one but ive taken the pre test one that you take at the office..but that was 5-6 yrs ago..ill just have to see how i do on the actual one when i take it...how bad is the boot camp in the summer? i hear the sand flees on paris island are a bitch
    Go take your ASVAB and see what you qualify for. I am not sure how long the waiting list is to go to boot camp, it can be from 3 months to a year.

im gonna go talk to a recruiter tomorrow and get some more info and take the test. im on probation so i would have to wait till im up with that untill i can be sent to boot camp?

Blog Entries
    im gonna go talk to a recruiter tomorrow and get some more info and take the test. im on probation so i would have to wait till im up with that untill i can be sent to boot camp?
    Hopefully not a felony or and misd. domestic violence charge?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information