anyone here worked for ups?

I keep hearing how good it is to work here. ive been there 1 and a half years, started right when i turned 17. perfect attendance for the past 11 months, no lates, sick days or no calls.

They told me there was a supervisor position and that i should fill out the letter of interest because they said i would probably get the job.... well thats not the case.

well here i am, still only getting 4 hours a day went from 9.50/hrly to 10.50/hrly(big fvcking woop). best benefits out there but thats all im there for.

seeings as im only 18 i still have about 3 years before i could even apply for a driver position.

any success stories from fellow ups'ers or peeps you know? the drivers got it made, so easy and they get PAID! retiring when there 45 and shiiit because they started when they were 17 like i did.

also id like to mention i get off at 9am, yet i have NO energy because i sweat balls even in the winter. but im juggling between that and hosting at a local restaurant from 9:30 till 3pm. it pays the bills and i know itll be worth it in the end but damn, wouldnt it just be easier to get a full time 9 to 5'er. what would ya'll do? i dont wanna be switching careers 10 years down the road when its too late

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    i worked for UPS... i loaded the trucks for while, but i must admit, i hated it...i worked for fedex too and that was even worse.......the dad of a friend is a driver for UPS....he started out the same way u are...theres another man who lives up the street from me who drives a truck as well-they both seem to be living comfortably- and just think, how stressful of a job is it to drive a truck?....

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Go get a skill.. like HVAC, electrician, painter or something like that..

10 grand for the schooling it lasts 1 year i think and u're done.. and u're young so u can build up experience n stuff..

UPS prolly would tuition reimburst a chunk of the 10 grand,, if u can pull off both at the same time.

I think thats probably better than getting a 2 year degree in a college..

and a 4 year degree, would be a big investment.. both money and time.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    we have some drivers pulling 80-90g's.... why would you pick hvac or electrician over that? maybe if you were going to be in business for yourself doing those things....at times it becomes habitual to recommend a degree, but it can be overhyped unless you want to do something that you don't know and you need formal education to do it/learn it....my 2 cents.

dirtball, it really dep ends on what you want to do with your career and your future.... you haven't said enough about goals, skills, etc., to really give you any advice on your current situation... If you are waiting for something to be handed to you... it will probably never happen.

well i would like to move out in atleast a year or 2 but these two jobs arent enouph to pay rent and car payment which is 300/car 200/insurance monthly. damnit shoulda stuck with my beater f150 FULLY PAYED FOR. hindsight...

hinders my workout as well because i do alot of heavy lifting at ups as it is. not to mention at the end of the day im spent, coming down from my adderall/caffiene that helps wake me up at 3am.

i have an interview next teusday for verizon.... climbing cell phone towers, adding and removing equipment. entry level 18 an hour starting. sounds interesting. but there goes my chance of being a ups driver! ugh... decisions decisions...

jchopper1 is offline Banned
    man ur so young. time is on ur side. im not one for college. most my friends who didnt go make way more money then the guys that went. find something you like.if you want to drive try getting ur cdl or try a place u could get experience driving...basically try finding what ur into but odds r it will change as you get older.check into what i pmd u a few weeks ago

oh and no skills. at 16yrs i dropped out and got my good enouph diploma(GED) so i could take care of my mom who had two strokes from chemotherapy, immobilizing her due to a mis-diagnoses.

worked at a nursery part time for a year so landscaping and plant knowlege but if i got in that industry id need to know spanish. screw that.

and working at ups, well no skill needed. just show them you have a pulse and some work boots then your in.

jchopper1 is offline Banned
    now that i thinnk of it i know a few guys i went to hs with and they started there after hs now they are drivers

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball_619 View Post
    well i would like to move out in atleast a year or 2 but these two jobs arent enouph to pay rent and car payment which is 300/car 200/insurance monthly. damnit shoulda stuck with my beater f150 FULLY PAYED FOR. hindsight...

hinders my workout as well because i do alot of heavy lifting at ups as it is. not to mention at the end of the day im spent, coming down from my adderall/caffiene that helps wake me up at 3am.

i have an interview next teusday for verizon.... climbing cell phone towers, adding and removing equipment. entry level 18 an hour starting. sounds interesting. but there goes my chance of being a ups driver! ugh... decisions decisions...
    I can only comment on the bold area because I never climbed cell towers or anything like that.... as far as moving packages, that is not a hinderance or really hard work... there are many,many harder jobs then that and at a young age it is good for you to do... also, unless you were the next Mr. USA I wouldn't put lifting before work... work first and then play... basic rule...

You need to be patient and work hard, diligent and things get easier as you get a little older and keep a hard work ethic... that applies for the gym too.

Quote Originally Posted by jchopper1 View Post
    now that i thinnk of it i know a few guys i went to hs with and they started there after hs now they are drivers
    yea, it sounds like you want something and you want it now...kinda like your car... the hasty decisions will work out the same in the long run too,(analogy) "you will say damn this job sucks (payment is high), should've have been more patient and kept the other job (should've kep ford f150)...now I would be reaping the rewards (no payment)"....

true, patience is a must but i hate just getting by! though i know most guys my age dont have 1.5 years with a reputable company and a new v8 mustang haha. well there i have it, i just need to be patient. thanks for the input bro's

/thread

Thread Information