Thread: cold air intake

youknowit45 is offline Associate Member

cold air intake

I just got my saturn sky and it had a few upgrades like cold air intake but i live in san diego... will it even help with gas mileage living here? I dont know shit about cars ha thanks guys

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by youknowit45 View Post
    I just got my saturn sky and it had a few upgrades like cold air intake but i live in san diego... will it even help with gas mileage living here? I dont know shit about cars ha thanks guys
    It may, but getting a better tune with the CAI will increase fuel economy much better.

CAI? I'm not sure what that is muscle?

Lol nevermind figured that out fast enough

D-Unit 39 is offline Member
    Man that is one ugly cat

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^very disturbing indeed.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by youknowit45 View Post
    Will it help with gas mileage ? I would say no.

Most likely any kind of performance "upgrade" will end up costing you more money. I say this for the simple fact that if you are upgrading something for performance that means you are making the car faster, driving the car faster and in turn burning more fuel then normal. On some cars it can even make the car run worse. The cars air/fuel ratio is set by the manf which is downloaded to your ECU to help your car run at its greatest potential. Now if you install a CAI what you are doing is allowing more air to flow into the car which will throw off the manf set air to fuel ratio. Is it a very minor change (with most CAI)? yes. Will you even notice a difference ? probably not. I believe most newer cars over time will even adjust its air/fuel ratio to compensate for the change but not sure about your car or how reliable it is.

In the end, i say there is one major factor that will help you save on gas and that is your foot. Drive like grandmom and you will notice a difference in your MPG.

VWbug66 is offline Senior Member
    yes it will help to some degree, its not a big performance mod, it helps the engine breath better, so in return, helps fuel mileage. get it, cheap and easy to install

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    Quote Originally Posted by VWbug66 View Post
    yes it will help to some degree, its not a big performance mod, it helps the engine breath better, so in return, helps fuel mileage. get it, cheap and easy to install
    Yup,it takes less pedal to make the car go,thus in theory better mileage.

TatMan is offline Junior Member
    Most cold air intakes actually only help in power allowing more air into the engine. Most intakes actually suck in more hot air because the intake is closer to the engine then the manufactured air intake which usually sucks air from the outside of the car. If you want to increase your mpg you might want to take that off and just drive slower!

D-Unit 39 is offline Member
    Agreed will help power, probably not fuel mileage.

And the point about the hot air (above) is a good point -- I never thought of that before!

Put in a big Turbo and an Intercooler... oh wait you want gas mileage, not power.

get a K&N kit, and yes they do help mileage, but not dramatically.

Blog Entries
    get a K&N kit, and yes they do help mileage, but not dramatically.
    You are 100% WRONG. I wont flame because people are lead to this conclusion from manf trying to sell a product.

Intakes do not, never have and never will increase your mileage unless they are MORE restrictive than stock. More air means more fuel, period, end of story. Any product that claims "more hp and more mpg" is lying to you.

An intake does absolutely NOTHING to make your car more efficient. The mentalitiy that since it is "easier" to pull in air, it is working less.. is horribly thought out. If it can pull in air easier, and get more of it AND it is colder (thus more dense), your ECU adds MORE fuel. That is why they allow for more power (although such a small efffect it is negligible).

from engifineer on one of my car forums.

ok, im not taking it as a flame, I thought that the computer had to be manually adjusted to tell the fuel injectors to add more gas for the gas/air mixture. but who knows if every manufacture's computer adjusts to this, do they? but as u can tell from my avy, im not bout gas mileage, btw me n my pops built that truck ground up, bad mofo

Blog Entries
    ok, im not taking it as a flame, I thought that the computer had to be manually adjusted to tell the fuel injectors to add more gas for the gas/air mixture. but who knows if every manufacture's computer adjusts to this, do they? but as u can tell from my avy, im not bout gas mileage, btw me n my pops built that truck ground up, bad mofo
    Nope, having bigger fuel injectors simple allows for more fuel to be pushed but the computer (ECU) will adjust how much fuel is going to be used depending on a lot of other variables.

Congrats on the truck. Building cars is nice but it can get out right expensive. I know first hand as well.

yeah i know alot bout cars, we put a 99 LS1 in that truck, with bigger injectors 12 bolt posi rearend, shift kit in the tranny, fun fun fun truck, but i just sold it to a buddy and im drivin my vw bug that gets kick ass gas mileage and fun as hell to drive!

Thread Information