Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer

anyone readin any good books???

Just wonderin if anyone is reading any good books......I'm reading Kushiel's Justice right now......got one more left in this series then i've caught up with the author so i need something to read after that.

anyone read the Sword of Truth series????? i absolutely loved those.....both of my younger brothers have read all of them like 10 times....literally....and the TV show for the first book starts in the fall.

HORSE~ is offline yeah
    I like Steward Wood's, Clive cussler, James Rollins and Dale Brown just to name a few....

Quote Originally Posted by HORSE View Post
    I like Steward Wood's, Clive cussler, James Rollins and Dale Brown just to name a few....
    what kinda stuff do they write? i don't know any of them lol.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    Just wonderin if anyone is reading any good books......I'm reading Kushiel's Justice right now......got one more left in this series then i've caught up with the author so i need something to read after that.

anyone read the Sword of Truth series????? i absolutely loved those.....both of my younger brothers have read all of them like 10 times....literally....and the TV show for the first book starts in the fall.
    I have read the Sword of Truth series beginning to end probably 10 times too. The're so long that as soon as you finish you can go right back to Wizards First Rule and start over. Richard's a f***ing stud.
    If you liked them, you'll probably like R.A. Salvatore's (spelling?) series called legend of Drizzt, the first in the series is called Homeland. They're all pretty damn good i think.

HORSE~ is offline yeah
    Well Dale Brown wrote the davinchie code (spelling) and Clive cussler wrote Sahara, both of those two made it to the big screen and did very well....

I'll add some more tomorrow, I am off to bed for the night homy....

Well Dale Brown wrote the davinchie code (spelling) and Clive cussler wrote Sahara, both of those two made it to the big screen and did very well....

I'll add some more tomorrow, I am off to bed for the night homy....
    ummm i think DAN brown wrote the da vinci code......i read that, loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    I have read the Sword of Truth series beginning to end probably 10 times too. The're so long that as soon as you finish you can go right back to Wizards First Rule and start over. Richard's a f***ing stud.
    If you liked them, you'll probably like R.A. Salvatore's (spelling?) series called legend of Drizzt, the first in the series is called Homeland. They're all pretty damn good i think.
    our copy of wizards first rule is sooooo falling apart now lol.....cover is mostly off and stuff.

I wanna find my own Kahlan lol......she's so awesome.....and her and richard have such an amazing connection.

I hope he writes more of those....i know like the sword of truth thing is over but i hope he writes with those characters more.

I actually have a trilogy by R.A Salvatore right here......the dark elf trilogy? i haven't read it yet.

HORSE~ is offline yeah
    ummm i think DAN brown wrote the da vinci code......i read that, loved it.

Yes you are correct.....My ambian is kicking in and I am off to bed....

Yes you are correct.....My ambian is kicking in and I am off to bed....
    lol....night night................i guess ur about 6 hours ahead or me or so....soooo you should be in bed lol

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Augusten Burroughs - A wolf at the table

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Augusten Burroughs - A wolf at the table
    what's it about??

jsinur7 is offline Member
    Anne Rice... interview with a vampire, the vampire lestat etc.... a very good series... 100 timnes better then the movies

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Its the 5th book of his (biography ) which is about his crazy family/upbring living with his mothers shrink. I would recommend you read his first book before this one. Its a best seller "Running with Scissors." If you saw the movie it SUCKED and doesn't come close to how good the book is.

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member
    Dan Brown is good.... I liked Angels and Demons better than the Da Vinci Code. I have also been reading Robert Ludlum, the author of the Bourne Series. I started from his first book, so I haven't gotten to the Bourne books yet, but so far they are all good.

I read during cardio....

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Agreed :)

Quote Originally Posted by jsinur7 View Post
    Anne Rice... interview with a vampire, the vampire lestat etc.... a very good series... 100 timnes better then the movies
    Rice truly is great with her vampires; if you want to go older, grab "The Razor's Edge" by Somerset Maugham or "The Moon and Sixpence" or "Of Human Bondage"...all Maugham and all insanely good.

Hemingway is always a favorite; maybe start with some short stories if you're not yet familiar: I'd recommend "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" and "The Snows of Kilamanjaro" to begin.

Modern fiction, I'd go with "Bel Canto" for fun and for non-fiction, Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink" is excellent as well as his "Tipping Point".

The Bible is, of course, always fantastic literature. but make sure and get a version that's enjoyable reading. If you're American, I'd recommend the NASB and for Brits, go with the ESV. NIV is fine for second languagers and missionaries but I'm not thrilled with some of the translation choices.

Ahh....reading.....

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yah thats the one Ruhl, there's like 10-12 or so books in the series, i've read about 7, they've all been pretty good. And if i ever have a little girl my wife wants to name her Kalahn, thats funny. I'd do Nicci too, but she's been raped too many times lol

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Where the Red Fern Grows

Tuck Everlasting

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Just finished I Hope They Server Beer in Hell. Funniest book you will ever read, guaranteed. Im about to start Less Than Zero tonight.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Kite Runner
    and
    The Alchemist

RaWRZ0R! is offline Associate Member
    if you want to see motivation and determination just read Ultra Marathon man.. that man ceases to amaze me.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    Just finished I Hope They Server Beer in Hell. Funniest book you will ever read, guaranteed. Im about to start Less Than Zero tonight.
    lol, a tucker max fan i see

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Where the Red Fern Grows

Tuck Everlasting
    LMAO!!!...i remember those books from way back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    Yah thats the one Ruhl, there's like 10-12 or so books in the series, i've read about 7, they've all been pretty good. And if i ever have a little girl my wife wants to name her Kalahn, thats funny. I'd do Nicci too, but she's been raped too many times lol
    rofl not even shitting you i've pretty much vowed that if i ever have a daughter i'm namin her Kahlan too........those books are so powerful i guess lol.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Alexander and the horrible, terrible, no good bad day.

anyone remember that book from your childhood? i cant seem to find it anywhere.

or maniac magee?

but now i read alot of books by James Lee Burke. he writes great descriptive, nitty gritty violent murder novels. really gets down deep into the male psyche and why we are so prone to violent outburst. they also have a bit of humor thrown in.

And books by Jeffery Deaver... he wrote the book.. the bone collector that became a movie with denzel washington and angelina jolie. there is a whole series of books about the denzel character. very good books. i would check out the books by him called..the empty chair, coffin dancer. but all of them are great.

i actually just read all 7 of the Narnia series of books... they are so good. The movies are decent. well the second narnia was very good. but the books are great. not to childish. still fun and enjoyable for a 24 year old juice head like me. lol.

also i agree with whoever named... anne rice. none of her new shit cuz she turned into a a religious fanatic. but all her vampire series are awesome. action, mystery, sex humor, all included.

if you like supernatural, suspenseful books. check out dean koontz. im reading a book by him right now called The bad place. its very good. ive read alot of his books, and they are all on the same level.

now from talking to you on the board and getting a feel for ya. i would recommend a book called.. Prodigy by Dave Kalstein. Im not going to bother describing it. But look for it in the library or online. You will enjoy it. Pretty much talks about a school in the near future that actually enrolls kids and provides them growth hormone and steroids , extra vitamins, things to help inhance their brain function, and such, then teaches them advanced martial arts and high levels of academics. these kids are the prodigies of normal schools. like these are the ppl that become presidents and world leaders. but then some alumni start to die off in a seriel killer fashion and thats where the fun begins. check it out.

I'd consider the book of the Heroine in the books i'm reading right now too....but only after we'd used kahlan lol.......her name is Phedre....these books are pretty cool all written by Jaqueline Carey.....i guess they kinda walk the line sometimes with romance as there is alot of sex in them.....based on a kinda 1500-1600 time frame i think....like they have court in the castle and such.....very well written and although she's made up new names and such for most places you can kinda tell on occasion where she's referring to....like Tiberium in her books is obviously rome and such.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    damn i havnt read a book in prob over 5 years, maybe i should lol

AnimalGear is offline Little Monster in the making
    more of a magazine guy until fall semester starts

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    Current reads:

George Santayana: "The Last Puritan"
    Gore Vidal: "Inventing A Nation: Washington, Adams, Jefferson"
    Sinclair Lewis: "Babbitt" & "Main Street"
    Patrick O'Brien: "Master And Commander"

Apropos the last book: a friend named his twins, son and daughter, "Jack" and "Aubrey", after Capt. Jack Aubrey from the series.

Also, Evelyn Waugh's "A Handfull of Dust". NOT funny at all... BLEAK.

I will show you something different from either
    Your shadow at morning striding behind you
    Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-BigLittleTim

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    My favorite series of all time..

The Dark Tower...by Stephen King

If you aren't a King fan, I'd still check this series out. It's totally unlike his other writings and man you will not stop until you get through them all. First book was published in 1982 and the last not until 2004.

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    the monk who sold his ferrari

conversations with god... book1 (non religious)

rogue warrior

some of my fav's

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skully44420 View Post
    LMAO!!!...i remember those books from way back in the day
    hahaha

they are 5th grade classics

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Anything by Cormack McCarthy (dude who wrote, "No Country For Old Men.") He is the greatest American writer of all time. Everyone on this board needs to read, "All the Pretty Horses." One of the finest stories ever told. The entire Border Trilogy is phenomanol. Check it out.

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Anything by Cormack McCarthy (dude who wrote, "No Country For Old Men.") He is the greatest American writer of all time. Everyone on this board needs to read, "All the Pretty Horses." One of the finest stories ever told. The entire Border Trilogy is phenomanol. Check it out.

I am totally not making fun of your reputable titles... but... can you imagine a 250lb+ bodybuilder on the stepper reading "All the Pretty Horses" LOL

Otherwise i'd say i've heard good things from the author...

Quote Originally Posted by majorpecs View Post
    My favorite series of all time..

The Dark Tower...by Stephen King

If you aren't a King fan, I'd still check this series out. It's totally unlike his other writings and man you will not stop until you get through them all. First book was published in 1982 and the last not until 2004.
    this series are some of the very few stephen king books i've not read......just never gotten a hold of them.....maybe i will now.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewade View Post
    I am totally not making fun of your reputable titles... but... can you imagine a 250lb+ bodybuilder on the stepper reading "All the Pretty Horses" LOL

Otherwise i'd say i've heard good things from the author...
    No, I know, I know man, I thought the same thing. But if you saw No Country For Old Men, then you know that the guy is anything but soft. All the Pretty Horses is hardcore, trust me, I would not recommend some foo foo bs to a board of body builders.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you have to read one book in your life, it better be The Gunslinger by Stephen King. The first in a series of 7 books called the Dark Tower. Completely different to anything he has written, or anyone has written for that matter.

Roland, the best character ever created.

Im just glad to know that other guys on here read man! I was startin to feel like a nerd, lol.

this series are some of the very few stephen king books i've not read......just never gotten a hold of them.....maybe i will now.
    If you have read a lot of Kings books, a LOT of them are in some way connected to this series. The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, IT, Salems Lot, Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis...they are in some way connected to this epic series.

first stephen king book i ever read i read in 4th grade and it was the Tommyknockers....amazing book

Yeah the Tommy Knockers was an ace book. The Dead Lights.
    First King book i ever read was IT, when I was about 14. Desperation is the most ****ed up King book i've read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information