MotoXracer is offline Associate Member

Any one in pharmaceutical sales?

I just met a couple people this weekend in pharmaceutical sales and I was surprised at how much they all made. Not a single one made less then 100k and they were all in their late 20's. I know allot of sales jobs can be lucrative, but any one in medical sales? After talking to them, i feel like I need to get out of engineering and into sales lol

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoXracer View Post
    I just met a couple people this weekend in pharmaceutical sales and I was surprised at how much they all made. Not a single one made less then 100k and they were all in their late 20's. I know allot of sales jobs can be lucrative, but any one in medical sales? After talking to them, i feel like I need to get out of engineering and into sales lol
    i dropped engineering like a hot potato last semester

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    They usually get great perks as well like some companies give them cars, pay for their gas and meals...it's not such a bad gig.

Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    They usually get great perks as well like some companies give them cars, pay for their gas and meals...it's not such a bad gig.
    except for the whole contributing to the downfall of society thing.....and putting people on drugs they don't need

SVTmuscle is offline Gsxxr's Bitch
    Thats exactly the field i wanna get into to

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Get into medical supplies sales before pharm sales. I have a friend that's trying to get me into his company and as a med rep for only 4 years now he makes over 200k with car, gas, cell phone, laptop and great insurance all paid for.

CeeLo is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a good deal to me. But not everyone is cut out for that sales, it can be a beast sometimes.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I have a few friends in pharma sales, you need to have the right personality for it #1, and #2 they almost exclusively hire hot chicks, cause the docs will actually give them appointments. It pays ok, but it's not a very fun job, involves mucho brown nosing, and you'll feel very unappreciated by the doctors you do countless favors for, spend a lot of time driving, carry trays of food to offices cause you're buying the whole office lunch that day, get blown off for appointments, treated like a used car salesman wherever you go, stuff like that.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I have a few friends in pharma sales, you need to have the right personality for it #1, and #2 they almost exclusively hire hot chicks, cause the docs will actually give them appointments. It pays ok, but it's not a very fun job, involves mucho brown nosing, and you'll feel very unappreciated by the doctors you do countless favors for, spend a lot of time driving, carry trays of food to offices cause you're buying the whole office lunch that day, get blown off for appointments, treated like a used car salesman wherever you go, stuff like that.

All is very true for pharma sales that's why I suggested medical supplies sales. The appointments you go on are for stuff they need and so you don't get blown off as much.

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    All so very accurate. I have quite a few friends that are in Pharm sales and what you said matches EXACTLY to what they say. Definitely have to kiss a lot of ass to be in that field.

I've looked into it in the past but it just didnt seem for me. There is a potential to make a lot of money but as already stated earlier, sales can be a real beast.

ravanA is offline Junior Member
    what are pharmaceutical sales? selling prescription drugs? isnt that illegal?

Emilio_Rebenga is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    legal pharmaceutical sales?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Does being a buyer count for anything ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    yea it does..you contribute to the 100k a year earnings

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio_Rebenga View Post
    yea it does..you contribute to the 100k a year earnings
    hollaaaaaaa

Blog Entries
    hollaaaaaaa
    I can so hear u saying that...lol

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    my mom was offered a job doing pharm sales, she turned it down, but what they were offering was a sweet package... $200k/yr base salary + Commission.... Choice of 5 company cars which would be paid for, gas paid for, and all travel paid for. The catch was she would be flying 5 days a week all over the NE. The company that was courting her almost exclusively hired doctors and medical professionals however, as opposed to some companys which will hire someone with a marketing degree.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    My dad is a CFO for a pharmaceutical company and has been in the business for 30+ years and most sales people make more then he does, and he has a very good salary.

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    Yeah, thats right...pharmaceutical sales...nice way of saying drug dealer.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    no..

Quote Originally Posted by MotoXracer View Post
    what type of engineering do you do? engineering sales can amke more than pharm sales rep.

ravanA is offline Junior Member
    can someone explain how and what pharmaceutical sales are??

they go to dr offices and explain the features and benifits of threi lines to the dr's so the dr's perscribe their drugs to patients.

SVTmuscle is offline Gsxxr's Bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by VedranMolestove View Post
    Depending on exactly how big of a salesmen you are....in a nutshell you go to different hospitals, doctors offices, pharmacies, etc and try to get those places to buy your product and have that product be the first thing doctors prescribe or pharmacists give out

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    It’s not a drug dealer, but IMO it’s a position that does just as much harm to the world.
    It’s a job that should not exist at all. Your job is basicly to persuade a doctor to use your companies drug, to sweet talk them, whether you are a hot chick or buying the whole office lunch.
    IMO prescription drugs should not be something that require a sales person or fancy packaging to make them appeal….they are something people need.

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson9d View Post
    what type of engineering do you do? engineering sales can amke more than pharm sales rep.
    I'm an electrical engineer but mostly work with software. I've been interested in sales but the problem is that when times are good, it's good to be in sales, but when times are bad, sales is the worse place to be. I just think of the stock brokers and mortgage brokers who were making bank when times were good and now it's really hard to make it. I was just surprised how many people were in medical sales and all were doing so well, i was just wondering what the downside to that industry is? My friend who is in it said that they are starting to crack down on Med sales because some of the reps were getting charged with bribing doctors. I just read this article and was wondering what the sales reps think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080710/...ical_marketing

Quote Originally Posted by MotoXracer;40***12
    I'm an electrical engineer but mostly work with software. I've been interested in sales but the problem is that when times are good, it's good to be in sales, but when times are bad, sales is the worse place to be. I just think of the stock brokers and mortgage brokers who were making bank when times were good and now it's really hard to make it. I was just surprised how many people were in medical sales and all were doing so well, i was just wondering what the downside to that industry is? My friend who is in it said that they are starting to crack down on Med sales because some of the reps were getting charged with bribing doctors. I just read this article and was wondering what the sales reps think?

if any of them manage their money worth shit they're fine right now....regardless of the income in the next 6 months or whatever......

Quote Originally Posted by VedranMolestove View Post
    they're unethical

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Pharma sales is a hot chick job.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoXracer;40***12

If you’re an ee then your golden you can always go into sales and make allot of money. if the market slows go back to engineering. The market in general sucks right now but engineering is hot and will be for the next 10+ years. You can always go to china and make sick money. The down side to pharm sales now is that it is saturated and it is on the decline. Engineering sales is the new hot business. I would look into it. You can sel all kinds of stuff. Look into it.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    except for the whole contributing to the downfall of society thing.....and putting people on drugs they don't need
    What ever happened to each person being accountable for themselves. I would never take a drug that I didn't research first.

It is the dumb, unaccountable people that cause a downfall of society, not the people that make money off of them.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    What ever happened to each person being accountable for themselves. I would never take a drug that I didn't research first.

It is the dumb, unaccountable people that cause a downfall of society, not the people that make money off of them.
    hmm well i do agree with that thinking.......if ur stupid enough to do it then you deserve the outcome lolz

bigt10 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Pharma sales is a hot chick job.
    To be really good in sales you dont need education or brains, well i wont say brains but you need to excellent at talking, communication, and being freindly with everyone.

They are right i have seen people in all kinds of sales, service, and real estate. not much brains, not much education but ill tell you a few things.

they look way better then your average person, and they excel at talking, bullshitting, and doing this kind of job.

It can be fun but annoying. You either have it or you dont, you just need to have that good looking/trustworth official type of appearance and character.

Its the same with insurance sales men, some are just really good at what they do.

Infact alot of sales that sells high priced things on commision you can make killings. Sometimes even they will sell to businesses theyre there freinds and family are tied with so they just drive up the prices.

For engineers get into selling construction contracts. Huge money in there to.

But why not pick something you like and then try to suceed with that instead of chasing green paper.

bigt10 is offline Member
    basically any business that is backed by the gov wont fail.

Pharamaceutical companies spend discusting amounts of money lobying.

Incase yu dont know what that is essentialy they bribe and beg congress men and senators to pass laws and bills to increase thier profits.

These companies wont fail.

The senators have shares in these companies, they dont care about you..

If you think i am talking out my ass then check out www.opensecrets.org or .com

They show all the most popular companies that the House holds shares in. And big pharmas likes pfizer are right up there.

Big business has been in bed with the gov for a while.

SO choosing a business that is in bed with the gov is always a smart safe solution.

The same is true with banking. Banks dont fail if they do they just print the money to pay for it.

Medical companies make discusting amounts of money and they will make more when obama is elected.

As soon as doctors are billing the gov and a 3rd party they will charge the max they can. if they are selling their services and people pay out of their pockets they cant charge what people cant afford. but hell when the gov pays for it with their printign press the doctors wil charge way more.

i say go Pharma!

Thread Information