View Poll Results: How do you locate businesses in your area?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yellowpages

4 36.36%
  • Online Directories (411.com,yahoo yellowpages, etc)

4 36.36%
  • Search Engines (yahoo, Google, MSN)

4 36.36%
  • Newspapers

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    TOOBAD is offline Associate Member

How do you find phone numbers

Just curious to see what is the most effective for a small business to get exposure without draining the bank account. So I was wondering how do you find or locate businesses in your area? In otherwords, how do you connect buyers with sellers?

Yellowpages
    Online Directories (411.com, yahoo yellowpages, etc)
    Search Engines
    Newspapers
    TV
    Radio

Emilio_Rebenga is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ebay, craigslist

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    online is the best route. 411.com and search engines. print is expensive and dead. My company just cut our adds from phone books and put all that money into more online advertising

N*E*R*D is offline Banned
    adultfriendfinder.com j/k j/k

Just curious, what kind of business do you own and who is the blonde in your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    online is the best route. 411.com and search engines. print is expensive and dead. My company just cut our adds from phone books and put all that money into more online advertising

Quote Originally Posted by TOOBAD View Post
    Just curious, what kind of business do you own and who is the blonde in your avatar?
    I own a very reputable long standing ebay business with a feedback score of 7, the blonde is my gf, sorry gixxer but she is.lol

I manage a fitness retail company

and thats my wife

I manage a fitness retail company

and thats my wife
    wow gixxer she's one hottie

Quote Originally Posted by jokers99 View Post
    wow gixxer she's one hottie
    thanks bro., im sorry i stole your gf

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Advertising depends on your business.

People tell you not to put all your eggs in one basket, and that's true to an extent. But you can put them all in one basket if you watch them carefully.

The best business' do what others do, but do it better.

thanks bro., im sorry i stole your gf
    If that was my gf, you'd need to kill me to steal her off me.lol

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    no matter what number im looking for i text google to find out

text googl leave the e out and for example

dukkis whore house
    whore town usa, 44444

and about 5 seconds later it will come back with addy and phone number, its free

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    It depends completely on what you're selling. I'm hardcore sales and advertising + psychology.
    #1 route is ALWAYS referalls. You didn't even list that.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    i hate when people call me trying to sell me supplys

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Online, usually on my cell. Not sure what database it logs into though.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I just had the white/yellow pages delivered to my door. It was in the trash an hour later.

G4R
    G4R is offline Anabolic Voice of Reason
    If I am at home, it's just easier to look up the number in the phone book, rather than set down, power up the computer, then search for the business, look for my local one and it's number.

If I am on the road, then I have time to use the net.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I just had the white/yellow pages delivered to my door. It was in the trash an hour later.
    I Second that. I dont understand why so much effort and money are dumped into those books. Though this might be my opinion, I believe the majority find it a hassle searching through the yellow pages (proper) than the yellow pages online and/or search engines.

I google for things.

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    local papers and the bbb are the best bro go out in weekly paper and advertise the bbb logo for trust, old people love that and get into the are chamber of commerce alot of people go there for business and noone realizes how many people go there, if you do the yellow pages just have a small ada just to make a presence and start to create an identity so people remember you but they are a waiste mostly i dropped $1000 a month last year i didnt renew them this year. local papers are the way to go people pick them up and look for local people

I hear a lot of people say that the yellowpages is a "dying breed" but statisitcs still show that a large percent of consumers still use them??? I was flipping through the yellowpages today and there were a lot of full page color ads that have to cost a fortune!

With that said, I am thinking a presence in all of the above versus putting my eggs in one basket would be the way to go. I think tv and radio is a waste because more and more people use satellite radio (commercial free) and DVR's to skip tv ads. And on top of all that it costs too much!

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    i would have to agree all the above choices would be best...you know for sure your name will get out there

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    what kind of business are you planning to open or are you currently running. I developed & ran retail environments, and now I currently own a business in the construction industry.

Marketing is different depending on you client base.

radio, tv, movie theater, and some magazine marketing is a waste IMO. Direct sales is probably the best bet. Selling yourself to the customer with your product to ride is probably your best bet.

Try meeting up with your chamber of commerce & networking with them.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

I hear a lot of people say that the yellowpages is a "dying breed" but statisitcs still show that a large percent of consumers still use them??? I was flipping through the yellowpages today and there were a lot of full page color ads that have to cost a fortune!

With that said, I am thinking a presence in all of the above versus putting my eggs in one basket would be the way to go. I think tv and radio is a waste because more and more people use satellite radio (commercial free) and DVR's to skip tv ads. And on top of all that it costs too much!
    My company spends alot on marketing. And also consults with a large marketing firm. From my experience and also listening to a marketing agency. PRINT IS DEAD

See that is where I get confused. IMO, tv is not a good choice because so many people now use Tivo's so they never see tv commercials. Radio is in the same boat, look at how many people use satellite radio which is commercial free! I am thinking directional is the way to go. At least in the yellowpages or yellowpages.com I can get my name out there and not charge an arm and a leg.

As far as what type of business, it will be a tanning bed salon but I also want to sale nutritional supplements. Chicks are always looking for a nice tan and a magic pill that makes them skinny! And I have both!

See that is where I get confused. IMO, tv is not a good choice because so many people now use Tivo's so they never see tv commercials. Radio is in the same boat, look at how many people use satellite radio which is commercial free! I am thinking directional is the way to go. At least in the yellowpages or yellowpages.com I can get my name out there and not charge an arm and a leg.

As far as what type of business, it will be a tanning bed salon but I also want to sale nutritional supplements. Chicks are always looking for a nice tan and a magic pill that makes them skinny! And I have both!
    now that you put what type of business your doing. The demographic would be a younger age group. I would stick more online stuff. Who in there teens-30's picks up a yellow-pages book? My parent still do but younger people go directly online. I would agree on tv. Radio has worked well for a friend of mine tanning salon. She now has 5 and the largest in her state. you can pm i'll give you some detail on what she did. Also a direct mail piece would be a good idea

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Tanning salons. I would first do some market research in your area. Such as how many other salons are in the same area, what makes top salon successful, demographics, where are you going to place you salon, what kind of traffic is it going to get, etc..

I am sure you have thought of all this. Having your ad in the yellow pages would just be an extra. I wouldnt count on it for advertising.

If there are tons of salons in the area, and only "X" amount of people, the you could be competing for the same customers. Is your area a place of new growth or continuous growth? Will you be able to capture a lot of new customers to support your business or will you be attractive enough to steal your competitors business who might have developed a membership base?

I would do some direct networking with local business that do not offer the same service as your business, but yet is in the relative same industry. Offer to build their business, by helping you build yours.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Thread Information