Chode Logan is offline AR's Ravishing Maestro of Anabolic Tastyness

Anyone here work at a gym?

Yeah so I'm wondering if anyone else on here is employed in any kind of gym. I had visions of being surrounding by educated iron freaks and people who knew their stuff. I soon realized that I'm pretty much the only employee here that follows a strict schedule and knows anything bout what they put in their mouth.

I do sales and sweet mercy some of the people I deal with are sad. The typical is the fat older woman who comes here just to feel better and say she atleast looked into a gym, then just complains bout something ridiculous to justify not joining.

So any other poor saps endure anything similar?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chode Logan View Post
    Yeah so I'm wondering if anyone else on here is employed in any kind of gym. I had visions of being surrounding by educated iron freaks and people who knew their stuff. I soon realized that I'm pretty much the only employee here that follows a strict schedule and knows anything bout what they put in their mouth.

I do sales and sweet mercy some of the people I deal with are sad. The typical is the fat older woman who comes here just to feel better and say she atleast looked into a gym, then just complains bout something ridiculous to justify not joining.

What do i put in my mouth ?

Ha

Haha oh god how did I not see that one coming. Damnit you can probably work with that too...uhhmm...

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

used to. A gym is a business. I would rather have good sales people then a guy that knew everything about fitness and nutrition and fitness and couldnt sell. 90% of the clients arent really into fitness that much. you dont need to be an expert.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Chode... lol.... your username is KILLING ME!

BadBarbie is offline Banned
    I just got hired today at a gym =)

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    i don't work at my gyms, but i train the trainers that work there

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned

Remind her the money she spends on the membership is money not being spent on food, its a win-win even if she doesnt go.

bigt10 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    Remind her the money she spends on the membership is money not being spent on food, its a win-win even if she doesnt go.
    haha i love that line.

" Money she is spending on the gym is money she isnt spending in the IceCream isle."

ray0414 is offline Member
    the gym i go to has an old lady (the ownder) and some out of shape kid that dont know anything about working out and im assuming diet either, its actually quiet pathetic when a gym doesnt have real fitness people working there.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    I worked at a gym thinking it would be a great learning tool for fitness & business. I learned nothing in both catagories. They pay sucked, hours sucked, and owners sucked. I did get my memebership for free though. They tried to rationalize the low pay by saying that the free $40 membership would equal it out.

sorel_C is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lifts-a-lot View Post
    I worked at a gym thinking it would be a great learning tool for fitness & business. I learned nothing in both catagories. They pay sucked, hours sucked, and owners sucked. I did get my memebership for free though. They tried to rationalize the low pay by saying that the free $40 membership would equal it out.
    Same boat, some employes acually had some of the worst unhealthy habbits

Yeah exactly. I agree with the comment about it being a business, I'm a salesperson and that's why I got hired here, but I figured that some sort of interest in fitness would be floating through the place. And yeah the pay sucks. No one cares bout health, people order pizza to their office, no one's trained in their respective positions and it's pretty much silly.

BuffBuffalo is offline Senior Member
    I've never worked at a gym, but in contrast to most of the places you guys have worked the staff at my gym is pretty impressive. At least half are in great shape. It's kinda suprising because it's a hospital based gym.

D-Unit 39 is offline Member
    I hate walking into a gym and feeling like I'm being attacked by a douchebag salesman.... that would actually make me not join. That's just me though. (And not saying you're a douchebag either, for the record)

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Unit 39 View Post
    I hate walking into a gym and feeling like I'm being attacked by a douchebag salesman.... that would actually make me not join. That's just me though. (And not saying you're a douchebag either, for the record)
    lets face it the members who are into fitness join a gym because of the gym itself. the location and what equipment it has. The potential members who arent into fitness dont care or know if the people working there know what they are talking about.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Thats weird, I never had to be convinced to join a gym.

I'd be a terrible trainer, "wait.. you're not sure if you want to join? ok, go home and eat a thousand brownies, vomit on yourself, and enjoy the rest of your fat life".

..id be fired in like 3 seconds.

wukillabee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Thats weird, I never had to be convinced to join a gym.

I'd be a terrible trainer, "wait.. you're not sure if you want to join? ok, go home and eat a thousand brownies, vomit on yourself, and enjoy the rest of your fat life".

..id be fired in like 3 seconds.
    Haha, yep! If u want t bs people for a living then be a car saleman. MAke more money then at the gym if ur a good bull sh*tter.

BlInDsIdE is offline "ARs Most Dangerous Member"
    i used 2 work at one 4 like a yr- it was pretty nice actually, ireally enjoyed the atmosphere.

Yeah I have no interest in pursueing the art of sleezy sales much longer, I just work here cause, well, training is a huge part of my life (like all of us) and I only work part time being that I'm a full time musician. So this is just for spending cash while I do my thing.

I agree with the statement that if people want to join or not has nothing to do with the sales crew, but the management put extreme pressure on us to pressure others. And it actually drives people away. We don't even offer anything but 1 and 2 year contracts. They even expect us to do cold calls, getting prospects from anywhere we can (it was even suggested we get names from the recent divorces in the paper and other crap like that). It's also sweet cause we have no air conditioning so people get sweaty just taking a tour through the place, that pretty much scares them away right there ha.

Chitown Raider is offline Anabolic Member

Depends on where U work at. There's a few old school gym's out there but they are falling quickly to the scene of soccer mom's and starbucks and day care at the gym.

Yeah we definitely have a day care. Unfortunately this is the most "hardcore" gym in my area. Being that it's the only gym with dumbells over 100 lbs and an abundace of plates. Huge amount of machines and free weights, couple sets of cables. But they treat the place like it's ritsy even though it's pretty mangy.

I forgot to say there is some other positives to working in a gym, like the overwhelming amount of good looking women who either work with me, or work out here. There's only 2 guys who work in the whole place, and I'm one of them. Mmmmmm

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    i worked at a gym years ago. could not take it, eveyone was a dummy. the only plus was that it was a meatmarket.

Chitown Raider is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson9d View Post
    i worked at a gym years ago. could not take it, eveyone was a dummy. the only plus was that it was a meatmarket.
    A meat market is good at the gym. U see everyone sober, and know what Ur dealing v.s. waking up with a big mistake U made from the night before.

Thread Information