Dinosaur is offline Member

cloned meat...would u buy it?

UT professor doubts cloned meat will sell soon in stores

"The risk assessment concludes the meat and milk from cattle, swine and goat clones are as safe to eat as the food we eat every day," said FDA Deputy Commissioner Dr. Randall Lutter in a press conference.

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- In the future, the meat and milk you buy at the grocery store may come from cloned animals. But a UT professor doubts that will happen soon.

The Food and Drug Administration gave cloned food its stamp of approval on Tuesday.

"The risk assessment concludes the meat and milk from cattle, swine and goat clones are as safe to eat as the food we eat every day," said FDA Deputy Commissioner Dr. Randall Lutter in a press conference.

Dr. Dwight Loveday, an associate professor of meat science at the University of Tennessee, says he's not surprised by what the FDA said.

But Loveday says he'll be surprised if we see cloned meat in the stores anytime soon. "I think the science is better, but I don't think we are going to see it in our food supply to any great extent and the reason why is the cost."

Dr. Loveday says cloning animals is downright expensive.

But that's not the only reason why he thinks you won't be able to buy cloned meat anytime soon. "It's new science, something we are not familiar with, comfortable with."

Loveday also doesn't think the day will come when everyone will be willing to fill a bun with a cloned burger or hotdog.

"I think there will always be some skepticism with it. We've seen this with other new technologies like the radiation of foods. Obviously it works from a food safety standpoint, but it's not a generally accepted technology."

While Dr. Loveday doesn't see cloned meat replacing cold cuts, he does see it as a way to make them better. "It would be a more rapid way of getting to that ideal meat animal or ideal food product down the line."

Loveday says he can imagine cloning the animals with the best meat and milk and putting their offspring into the food market.

There are about 600 cloned animals currently in the U.S. Most are expected to be used for breeding so it could be years before meat and milk from their offspring gets on store shelves.

But when it does, it won't be labeled as having come from a cloned animal and that's not sitting well with consumers.

People who spoke to 6 News Tuesday at Doan's Market and Deli say they're wary about the technology.

"When you are messing with genetics and everything like that, it's kind of scary to me right off the bat. It would just have to be proven for me to eat it," Joe Doan says.

"I would never eat it because we are not God and I am tired of scientists playing with things that they have no idea what they are doing in the long run," Mary Ellis says.

Some worry about the safety of the meat because cloned animals tend to be sicker and have shorter life spans.

Several large food companies have already said they won't sell meat from cloned animals because of consumer anxiety about the technology.

But the FDA says after years of studies, it hasn't' found any safety concerns because the cloned animals are virtually indistinguishable from their naturally-bred counterparts.

ok, this is me i will never consume or buy or try cloned meat, i don't care if all the scientist and doctors on earth say its ok to eat i don't care if everybody eats, i don't care if they make it so cheap to buy so later they can raise the price.

why? i just don't think its right its unnatural or u can call it unanimal.

what do u guys think about eating cloned meat? would dare to try it? do you think they ganna label it as cloned?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    noooooooo

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    I agree, i will never touch the stuff...

Jakspro is offline Member
    Just doesn't seem right...

GusInc is offline Junior Member
    Man go take some biochemistry and Microbiology courses at a university and animals no longer seem alive but just chemical reactions keeping a larger machine in functioning order.

I'd eat it

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    i would be their guinea pig if i got the meat for free LOL

seriousmass is offline Banned
    I would definitely eat it. The science behind cloning (although relatively new) is sound.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, hopefully meat will be cheaper although I don't know if cost of cloning would make that possible.

seriousmass is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfew44 View Post
    Yes, hopefully meat will be cheaper although I don't know if cost of cloning would make that possible.
    Actually, many have speculated that the production of cloned animals will have a higher return of profit for meat producers, and therefore prices will undoubtedly plummet. (all cloning takes realistically is a petrie-dish, a lab tech, and some animal cells... the rest is "natural" ha!... in a way) Nevertheless, we must wait until mass-cloning is readily available. (which is much less expensive then individual cloning)

I have a great link on this I'll see if I can find it.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    as long as it tastes okay and is cheap.

WOLFCRAFT is offline Senior Member
    Nope. But I won't eat normal meat either.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    haha

Katt Williams does a hilarious ass skit on cloned meat on his pimpin is pimpin DVD.... retarded ass meat I dont think i will eat it, I mean think about it people wont even eat alot of meat because of "steroids " and shit they feed the cow .. imagine a cloned one ... all kinds of possible mutation, and this is gonna be CHEAP cloning so ... not too many regulations im sure. Maybe in 10 years

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Meat is meat. I'd eat it. I don't think your body will know a difference. We're already eating genetically mutated animals. Turkeys have been mutated to have round bills and no spurs so they don't fight. I know a turkey farmer who says they grow so fast, if you don't get them harvested in time their legs will break because they can't handle the weight from growing so fast from genetic mutation.
    Last edited by Bossman; 01-18-2009 at 08:14 AM.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ agreed ..id eat it...

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    I dont think so. Their is just NO way to know without extensive testing. On one hand i would say it would "probably be fine" key word probably.

But you could never know without extensive testing whether or not the cloned animal would be prone to mutations and just bad things happening with DNA and replication cancer etc etc. But i would think in theory it should be fine.

I mean, when i had my intro to bios course several years ago, at that point in time, the success rate for cloning was ****ing low anyhow dont know what its like now.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't today but 10 -15 years from now sure.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    i'd eat it

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    yah, I'd eat it too.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    This cloning is getting out of hand. Look what i found today:

but then again....i'd also eat people if i had to with no regrets lol....

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    ^^

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Not to burst your bubbles, but, if someday this is going to be the only food to eat, or if some day they will find it to be the cheapest way, you will buy and eat that shit without even knowing it.

is there any good reason that they can't clone me yet? i want a little prodigy

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ill try it

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    doesn't really bother me. most of the meat we buy now is from a genetic strain that's almost analagous to twins anyways, but one thing i'd be a little wary of is just the propensity toward different kinds of contamination that can occur along the cloning process. overall though it's less alarming to me than how we currently grow meat- fed on shit corn products and artifically matured so the meat contains shit nutritional profiles.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Hell ya i would eat it.

That means i would have twice as much steak.

I wonder if my steaks will all tast the same now?

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    This cloning is getting out of hand. Look what i found today:

You think thats messed up?

higherdesire is offline Banned
    No. This should be a poll!

Thread Information