m16a2 is offline Senior Member

parents and getting big

I finally go home for thanksgiving and see my folks after 2-3 months now. The first thing I hear is, "oh your getting fat, your face looks fat". This is complimented the next day by, "your getting too big, it doesn't look good. are you popping those pills? that protein isn't healthy for you to eat" I was actually kinda shocked since all my friends back home were really impressed and all the gals back home loved the changes and said that I'm looking great and that I lost weight and got taller. I asked some of my boys about it (from AR and not) and it seems that everyone i've talked to has the same responses from their parents? Everyone I've talked to says that their parents criticize them for getting 'fat', and then for eating 'too much protein'.

I mean, this is just ridiculous. Why is it that everyone we know is happy for us other than our own family? Today my mother tells me that I need to be 180 lbs, while I have been trying to gain for weeks now and I'm steady at 198. "Skinny is good, you should be skinny."

Who else gets shit like this at home?

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    you and me both pal! every time I go home all I hear is your getting to big, do u think that looks good? Shit, I look great, I feel great, hell yeah I think it looks good. Everyone complements me of my physique but my parents. they also think that taking all that protein is bad for you just like you said. Everytime I go to family parties or holiday visits I always have sweets and pies and foods of that nature thrown at me and Im just like "no thanks". When I get into the car to go home I get yelled at for being weird. I dont thing they get the concept of dieting. HAHA oh well just though I would get that off my chest!

parents just dont understand!

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    My grandmother hits me and says im starting look like one those freaks . I cant help but smile.
    And of coarse i get the "You better not use those steroids ! "

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    I get it from both my parents and my fiances parents. They really get all over me for taking That damn powder crap as they put it. oh well what are you gonna do???

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    My parents don't really know anything about steroids except for what the general population knows. I actually over heard a conversation between my dad and my aunt yesterday before dinner. She was telling him that it looks like I've gained about 20Lbs since she last saw me and hopefully I'm not into those steroids. My dad replied back "I don't think so, he hasn't had that bloated look in the face, and his temperment has been consistant" If they only knew.
    I just tell them I'm getting big of the diets I design for myself.

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    My parents always hassel my brother and i about weight and how much we have gained. I think if people were even remotly educated about our lifestyle they would accept us more but come to think of it i can't be bothered that much i haven't changed my lifestyle for them and i never will. Btw my girlfriend ( she doesn't know i use AS) always says things like your getting too big i liked the way you looked when you weighed below 200. But she doesn't say anything when her friends compliment me on how i've become bigger.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Actually my Mom yesterday told me I look great and hopefully the way I look will inspire some of my relatives to workout. Both of my parents were athletes before getting married. My father was a boxer so I think she likes the lean muscled look.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Originally posted by Tedmax195
    My parents always hassel my brother and i about weight and how much we have gained. I think if people were even remotly educated about our lifestyle they would accept us more but come to think of it i can't be bothered that much i haven't changed my lifestyle for them and i never will. Btw my girlfriend ( she doesn't know i use AS) always says things like your getting too big i liked the way you looked when you weighed below 200. But she doesn't say anything when her friends compliment me on how i've become bigger.

Very true. My girlfriend tells me that she likes the way I look now, but she liked me more before. She's worried that I'm gonna start looking better and that's gonna mean that she's gonna have to watch out for other gals. I can't say I blame her for the concern, but I'm just happy that she supports me regardless.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    i hear it all the time. Everyones says do you know its bad for you blah blah blah. Sometimes people just don't know when to shut the fuck up.

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro, Same exact boat, but my mom called me out the other day. I havent seen them in over 6 months, and the last time they saw me I was a fat piece of shit on crutches (Fucked my leg up really bad over a year ago). my mom's a nurse and no dummy. I have some acne on my arms, and she says "ya know those zits on your arms are a side effect of "Roids" your not on roids are you?" I was like "What the hell are you talking about?" little did she know I shot a 3ml deca /fina/test shot that morning. That sucked bro, she totally knew. I started 10 weeks ago, an have taken off about 6-8% BF and put on about 15-18lbs of muscle. My shoulders have really come and and that was the first thing they (mom and Dad) noticed when I picked em up at the airport. Moms are not dumb!

My mom has no clue that I'm on any AAS. She probably doesn't have the slightest clue what AAS signs would be. Then again, your changes sound alot bigger than mine! I can't wait until I come back for x-mas now, I should be about 3-5% bf lower than I am now, maybe that will shut them up.

I still can't believe that she said being 'skinny' was the best way to be.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    My mother, she knows I spend a lot of time researching and reading about the topic so she figures it is all good and I know how to keep it safe. Plus she often calls for exercise and nutrition tips.

My father, the most he usually says is "Don't get too big because than finding clothes becomes a real pain in the ass!" Which he was right He was solid back in his youth... I remember him always gettin' into road side rumbles while we watched from the back seat as good ol' Dad taught another person about road side etiquette. A few times he would get out of his car, the other guy would get out of his... take one glance at big ol' Dad - get back into his car and take off!
    Last edited by Warrior; 11-29-2002 at 04:10 PM.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    i've always been too skinny so my family welcomes whatever few pounds i can put on.

when i was in highschool, my mom always bitched about me taking synthetic protein (powders, liquids, etc) and now that i'm almost 23, i must say, she rubbed off on me. i've been completely natural since my reawakened interest in bodybuilding. i get my protein from eggwhites, tuna, chicken, beans, and yogurt. i actually get a decent amount also...like around 150-180 grams a day.

i also joke to my mom about me taking roids (little does she know i'm not exactly joking...) and she just laughs and says i better not...

-- clocky baby

P.S. the fem friends like the way i look now, but >every single one of them< says girls don't like guys to get too big. but we all think i'm genetically incapable of getting "too big" so they say i should keep up the hard work...
    Last edited by clockworks; 11-29-2002 at 03:57 PM.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    well my mom definately knows i do AS now. First parents found needles about 6 months ago, told 'em they were my friends and that they shoot up herorin (spelling) I thought they believed me but one day i made a joke that i was taking drugs, (i was trying to imply recreational drugs like coke etc) but she immediately told me not to go there how she doens't like that fact that "i'm sticking shit in me that i think is good and will make me big" so i think she knows but i also thinik she realizes that i'm not a kid anymore and there is not much she can do about it anymore

Originally posted by Full Intensity
    well my mom definately knows i do AS now. First parents found needles about 6 months ago, told 'em they were my friends and that they shoot up herorin (spelling) I thought they believed me but one day i made a joke that i was taking drugs, (i was trying to imply recreational drugs like coke etc) but she immediately told me not to go there how she doens't like that fact that "i'm sticking shit in me that i think is good and will make me big" so i think she knows but i also thinik she realizes that i'm not a kid anymore and there is not much she can do about it anymore

Just hope that she doesn't get any bright ideas about turning you in for your own good.

'Yes, son, we just want to do what's best for you'

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    I always get the third degree when i come home to see my family, but its usally from my grandma. Everytime she see's me she's like "you've gotten bigger" and then ask's if im on steroids . Im like "Grandma you know im on steroids". She always takes it as a joke not knowing im telling her the truth! Thats why you gotta love your grandmas!

Well, I dunno... I wouldn't bullshit my parents. I'm in my 30's and have too much respect for them to lie to their faces.

In my case the question hasn't been asked, but when it is I'll answer honestly (which will happen eventually as my parents aren't stupid + we live 2 hours away so I only see them 1 or 2 weekends a month, so the change is obvious).

I got comments about "that darn powder" I drink all the time so I just picked up the tub and read off the ingredients to my mom... it seems to have reassured her. (If reading the ingredients off your tub of whey protein doesn't do the trick, read off a bag of Doritos after eeeep!)

Red

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    haha, its funny that this thread was posted...i saw my parents for the first time since august and the changes were obvious...in march i was 190 ish, now i'm 225 ish...my mom and dad both asked me if i was on on steroids and of course i said no way...then i saw alot of my old friends from high school out at the bar and at least 20 people said something to me. It's really funny to see someone that you used to want to be as big as smaller than you now!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Big Rush
    It's really funny to see someone that you used to want to be as big as smaller than you now!

Thats one of the best feelings I've ever had.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    During the summer i was in the high 160's, pretty lean about 8-9% bodyfat. I was so busy in school that i wasn't payin too much attention to the weights and was just trying to get lean anyways. So anyways once school got out, i hit the weights hard core and leaned down. First time i had ever gotten to see my abs. I was practicing posing one day and anyways my dad had asked my bro later if i was on steroids . I thought it was kinda funny. ( i really am all natural)

Since the end of the summer, i'm in college and started bulking like crazy. I went from the high 160's to as much as 215(a lot of water weight though, more like about 207), and of course my BF doubled but i gained tons of muscle so i didn't care that i had some fat hanging around my tummy. Anyways when i went back home and my parents saw me posing, and my dad says " now your butt sticks out like a black woman's butt". Basically i have gained a sort of squatter's ass, so its not pretty and he is kinda right. My bro made fun of my tummy, and just about anyone who doesn't workout made fun of me.

It was worth talking to my old workout buddies, they were absolutely amazed and they understand the process of bulking a bit better then my parents thankfully.

By the way i plan on doing my first BB comp this summer and every single person that told me that i looked like shit when i was back home at around 215, i invited them to my 1st BB show and told them " if u go to the show and actually stay and see me on stage and i don't smell shit in your pants after the show, i will pay u $20"

No one has taken the bet yet.

Thread Information