Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DNoMac is offline Senior Member

First time rider - 1000cc bike?

Personally, I would be content with a nice 600, but I found a great deal on a Yamaha R1. I consider myself somewhat prudent so my concern isn't about me pushing the bike to it's limits and being reckless. My main concern is whether or not I would be able to learn on a bike with that size and power. Do you guys think 1000cc is too much for a beginner?

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

Depends on your personality, if you have some sense, you can ride a 1000 without getting hurt. I started out on a 750 and I wish I would of went with the 1000. I would go with the R1 and just be careful and use your good sense!

jbm

jbm

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I have some R1's, not a good learner bike for most people. As stated, those with great self control could probably learn on one, but BE CAREFUL!!! Many recommend a 600, but if you aren't careful that's still a lot of power.

WilliamCutting is offline New Member
    If your definition of "riding" is merely getting on the bike and making it down the road without falling over, you can probably learn on a 1000 cc bike. However, the curve to actually learn how to ride properly will be much, much greater. It doesn't take much experience to get a bike to stay up or hammer the throttle in a straight line. Where your inexperience will hurt you will be in a turn and in situations where you must brake rapidly.

Any sportbike will do exactly what you tell it to, when you tell it to do it. If the input you're giving it is flawed, then so will the outcome. This is more apparant on larger bikes.

If you're riding just for the "look" the 1000 is fine. You'll be able to sit on it, learn how to take off and in time get comfortable cruising around.

In my opinion, if you want to really learn how to ride a sportbike properly, start on a 600, preferably an older one. That way if you drop it, lose interest or any of the many things that occur to beginners it won't hurt too much.

You will learn all the fundamentals of riding much quicker.

When you get to the point that you can be tucked in at full throttle on that 600, approach a turn, slam on the brakes, downshift, lean the bike to where your knee is nearly touching the ground, bang the throttle fully open, ride through the turn, come out, upshift and hit it wipe open again and it gets boring, then go buy the 1000.

Remember, it's your first bike, not your last...

Dancer is offline Anabolic Member
    My first bike was a R1... I wrecked on a R1... I wrecked again on a R1. I have a 50th annv 06

What year r1? How old are you, If you are young I say stay away... it is a bike that will kill you if you don't respect it.

the 98-01 is about the same power as the 09 R6 specials...

The 04-06 was the intro of the ram air ducks and the 180 HP motor...

Just ask any question you want. I have prob rebuilt more than I can count... My winter hobby for 5 years was buying them from the insurance pools and working on them.

CBGB is offline Senior Member
    My first bike was a 1000cc'er. But it was an 89 ZX10 so I don't think it counts

Thanks for the advice. It's a 2003..Here is the specs

2003 Yamaha YZF-R YZF-R1.
    It has low mileage (7450) and is like new in every way.
    Extras:
    Carbon-fiber rear lower fender
    Smoked Windscreen
    Graves Racing Exhaust
    Rear Fender Eliminator
    Pit Bull Rear Stand with required spindles already installed
    LP Racing Front Stand
    Yamaha Service Manual
    Targa Top in place of Rear Seat (Factory Rear Seat included)

CHAP is offline Anabolic Member
    Looks like i'll be learning on a 600.

I'll give you guys a bit more info it helps. I'm 25 and didn't plan on getting a bike for more than some riding pleasure and quick/easy transportation. My goal is to stay in the 3-4k price range and I don't care about getting anything fancy. I was looking at a 02 Yamaha YZF 600, but the forks were bent. I don't care to impress anybody with speed or even looks, and I'm definitely not gonna race it or do wheelies. I'd imagine I will avoid the freeway as much as possible.

That being said, I don't think I would want a 250. I thought a 600 would be MORE than enough, but I stumbled on a great deal. They are asking $3100, and that is perfect for my budget. As I've been looking, I like the GSXR and the R6. I'd honestly rather pay the same price for an r6 just to play things safe, but if you guys think that a beginner would be able to learn on a 1000, I may give it a shot.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    If you can afford the bike you want why get something different? Shit happens regardless of cc's. It just happens a bit quicker as torque goes up at the back wheel. Ever spin a rear tire while leaning in a turn? Fun IF you know what to do. Wreck if you don't. But know that odds are you'll go down. I did... twice. The last time it sunk in, no matter your skill level you cannot prevent 100% of accidents on the street. I have about 15 friends who ride and we all have a story or 3. Think about it. Gravel, Deer, Car pulling out of driveway into your path, car turning into your lane, car driving into you while you're stopped at a red light, cold tires, oil slick.... After 11 years of riding I'm taking a break. To many horror stories in the past 3 years. Take a safety course and invest in good gear.
    Last edited by F4iGuy; 06-18-2009 at 09:01 PM.

CBGB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iGuy View Post
    If you can afford the bike you want why get something different? Shit happens regardless of cc's. It just happens a bit quicker as torque goes up at the back wheel. Ever spin a rear tire while leaning in a turn? Fun IF you know what to do. Wreck if you don't. But know that odds are you'll go down. I did... twice. The last time it sunk in, no matter your skill level you cannot prevent 100% of accidents on the street. I have about 15 friends who ride and we all have a story or 3. Think about it. Gravel, Deer, Car pulling out of driveway into your path, car turning into your lane, car driving into you while you're stopped at a red light, cold tires, oil slick.... After 11 years of riding I'm taking a break. To many horror stories in the past 3 years. Take a safety course and invest in good gear.
    Yep, there are two kinds of riders. One's that have wrecked and one's that will.

Got my stories too.....

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    JBM, you aren't helping. You're just making me want it more by posting those pics, lol. It's a mean looking bike for sure.

Dancer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac View Post
    I'll give you guys a bit more info it helps. I'm 25 and didn't plan on getting a bike for more than some riding pleasure and quick/easy transportation. My goal is to stay in the 3-4k price range and I don't care about getting anything fancy. I was looking at a 02 Yamaha YZF 600, but the forks were bent. I don't care to impress anybody with speed or even looks, and I'm definitely not gonna race it or do wheelies. I'd imagine I will avoid the freeway as much as possible.

That being said, I don't think I would want a 250. I thought a 600 would be MORE than enough, but I stumbled on a great deal. They are asking $3100, and that is perfect for my budget. As I've been looking, I like the GSXR and the R6. I'd honestly rather pay the same price for an r6 just to play things safe, but if you guys think that a beginner would be able to learn on a 1000, I may give it a shot.

$3100 is a good price for that bike... just call in on those things from the PM.

The bike with a slip on and and full system should put out 140-150 horses.

The horse powder to torque ratio is good...

Get frame sliders.

top speed I got an 02 was 170s so its more than enough to F off on...LOL

sizerp is offline Banned
    Get an R6 to start with bro - 1kccers are F-in nuts.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    your going to die... i hope not but

play safe

jbm
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac View Post
    JBM, you aren't helping. You're just making me want it more by posting those pics, lol. It's a mean looking bike for sure.
    If you really want it go get it bro... just be safe!!!

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCutting View Post
    If your definition of "riding" is merely getting on the bike and making it down the road without falling over, you can probably learn on a 1000 cc bike. However, the curve to actually learn how to ride properly will be much, much greater. It doesn't take much experience to get a bike to stay up or hammer the throttle in a straight line. Where your inexperience will hurt you will be in a turn and in situations where you must brake rapidly.

Any sportbike will do exactly what you tell it to, when you tell it to do it. If the input you're giving it is flawed, then so will the outcome. This is more apparant on larger bikes.

If you're riding just for the "look" the 1000 is fine. You'll be able to sit on it, learn how to take off and in time get comfortable cruising around.

In my opinion, if you want to really learn how to ride a sportbike properly, start on a 600, preferably an older one. That way if you drop it, lose interest or any of the many things that occur to beginners it won't hurt too much.

You will learn all the fundamentals of riding much quicker.

When you get to the point that you can be tucked in at full throttle on that 600, approach a turn, slam on the brakes, downshift, lean the bike to where your knee is nearly touching the ground, bang the throttle fully open, ride through the turn, come out, upshift and hit it wipe open again and it gets boring, then go buy the 1000.

Remember, it's your first bike, not your last...
    Nice post. I fully agree with this. Riding a sport bike isn't just going fast in a straight line. I would personally go with a supermoto, which is easily 10X the amount of fun yet half the power.

TheBerryhillMonster is offline Associate Member
    go ahead and get the 1000, just read, watch info online, and ask veterans, my first bike was a 02 cbr 954rr and ive been fine on it.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    my first bike was a 1000. It just depends on if you have the brains to let your first 300-500 miles be slow and not hit the gas hard. because if you don't know what you are doing a 1000 will throw you off or get you into something you can't get out of.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBerryhillMonster View Post
    go ahead and get the 1000, just read, watch info online, and ask veterans, my first bike was a 02 cbr 954rr and ive been fine on it.
    that was the last bike I had, I sold it right before coming over seas.. I love the 954rr

J431S is offline Banned
    sweet this bikes flies like a bullest but he doesn't realize he was blacklisted.

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by J431S View Post
    sweet this bikes flies like a bullest but he doesn't realize he was blacklisted.
    high five!!!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    It only takes one crash to die. Start low and work your way up. I started on a 600 and outgrew it in 6 months then traded it in and got a 750. If i had the chance to do it all over again i would have still went with the 600, learned a lot on it.

Anyone who tells you to start on a 1000cc is a F***king moron- case closed.

tboz1 is offline New Member
    just respect the bike,
    don't make quick movement with the throttle break exec
    get use to it become one with the bike as the zen master said
    no seriously a 100 is fine for a beginner and a r1 is a awesome bike the suspension is top notch ps i stunt a Honda f4i with a 60 tooth sprocket it has way more power as fare as tork the a stock r1 so I know what I'm talking about

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by tboz1 View Post
    just respect the bike,
    don't make quick movement with the throttle break exec
    get use to it become one with the bike as the zen master said
    no seriously a 100 is fine for a beginner and a r1 is a awesome bike the suspension is top notch ps i stunt a Honda f4i with a 60 tooth sprocket it has way more power as fare as tork the a stock r1 so I know what I'm talking about
    welcome

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Before you ride, take a Motorcycle Safety Rider training class.
    http://www.msf-usa.org/

Also, read the findings in the Hurt Report
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Hurt_Report

Apply some common sense and stay alive.

jbm
    Choose bike or the girl?

J431S is offline Banned
    oh dude, that's one fine lean whore u got here: more!

Choose bike or the girl?

jbm

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    i have changed my mind get the biggest heaviest bike you can

iballin09 is offline New Member
    get a supermoto bro. i sold my gixxer 600 and got a drz400sm and never looked back!

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iballin09 View Post
    get a supermoto bro. i sold my gixxer 600 and got a drz400sm and never looked back!
    Exactly! I had KTM 625SMC and it was easily the most fun I've ever had on two wheels.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I started on a liter bike.
    I don't see 600's as being any safer
    It's all about your personality
    the only added danger with the 1000s for learning is if you get ham fisted, you'll be going for a possible loop.
    Shift low in the rpm band and obey the speed limits while you learn and a 1000 shouldn't give you too much additional trouble.

c-Z
    c-Z is offline Educate B4 You Medicate (RIP T)
    I lost two friends on bikes. Both for stupidity. 1st was drinking hit a car at 150mps right in the back cause his girl pissed him off. 2nd guy was amateur and was wheeling in town. Lost control, hit a stop sign, a pole, then a parked car........

Many will not say get the 1000.... Self control is an extremely large factor. You can find that front wheel off the ground a lot easier then on any 600.... not to mention they are bigger.... A lot depends on your size too.. If your a larger guy then ide say just get the 1000 and be safe bro. take it easy. Many people die on them.

BritishColumbian is offline Senior Member
    My first bike was a cfr 1000, they look different here in canada tho...

I don't think I'm going with the 1000. I really was just interested because it was a good deal, but after the feedback I think it would be wise to go with a 600. I'm thinking either and R6 or gsxr. Thanks for the advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information