Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    peteroy01 is offline Senior Member
    if i were you i would go with a Springfield XD. i just got out of a pistol class where we took apart a bunch of pistols and the XD is by far the best for reliability and quality. i know its usually your a glock or and xd person. but if you think about it, springfield had 15yrs to produce a better similar type pistol. so.......

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Actually that gun design was a $200 price range gun for another company then springfield bought the blue prints.......but I could be wrong but not that likely since it came from a good source.......but they did make it into a great gun better shooter to me than the glock and the xdm is awesome.....got 9 and 40 absolute dream to shoot for box gun.....plus you dont have to pull trigger to disassemble

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DOM6 View Post
    You need to fix that problem, the gun wont, go get your permit you will learn alot in there, its not really a class to learn how to shoot but more on how to get away with it, best thing to do also, is the first round in your gun use a simulation round "Rubber bullet" so if you shoot whoever it wont kill them, they will probaly take off running but if they still pursue you, plug them till they drop. I usally carry a 380 with the 1st bullet rubber so if i end up in front of a jury i didnt mean to kill the guy, and get a good safe and remember when you go to carry your gun, take the gun out your safe and put your ego in the safe, act as if isnt there
    Solid advice thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post
    I think it gets reported to the police office if you have any type of record. I say this because I knew a guy who tried to buy a gun on probation and instead got his friend to buy it and the cops found out and arrested him I guess.

IDK another reason could be they might what to have that information in your records so when a cop gets called to the house or something they know when they check on their computer you have a firearm for safety reasons. I am just guessing have no idea about Florida's gun law...
    Well, I'm on Bond, and ROR to be more specific. My case is federal, and non-violent. They said there's no restrictions against firearms. Who knows I am still gonna try.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Well, there's a gun shop like 20 minutes away from me, so I'll head over there tomorrow and take a look at what they got. Let you know what I decide on, aiming for either a S&W or a Springfield.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

thats my main gun...i have a cheap S&W carry piece...but that gets it done...im not a fan of polymers personally, but if you are going to buy a polymer weapon, go H&K..

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    You can never go wrong with a glock.

I find they seem to fit the best in my hand, way more comfortable to hold than most other handguns. When I gte my permit, I'll be getting a glock 17.

And yes a safe is a great investment, gun safe that is. You never want someone to find your gun and use it. Especially if it's someone who just broke into your home, or a child who wants to play with it. You definately want to keep your gun locked up at all times, unless you are going to imediately use it.

In Canada my province requires all firearms to be in a locked cabinet with a trigger lock on the firearm. You will want to check with your state law about firearm storage, and what is needed.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    id say S&W .357 so u can shoot cheap .38's out of it for practice. this gun will never misfire or jam.

or .357 9mm or .40caliber Sig Sauer awesome reliable gun if u want an auto

or

Beretta 9mm. acurate realible and awesome.

Personally id go with my 1st choice

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    where in florida do you live... i might can help you out depending on where you live. I know alot of gun stores that are legit and work with first time buyers on getting the right thing without ****ing them over

DOM6 is offline Member
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php
    You can buy it there and have it transfered to a dealer down here

you can get them new, used or even trade them on there, there GTG

thai-lan is offline Member

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    Bring me the gun of Rambo.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    if you call it a gat then know you should definately not be concealing or carrying a firearm

DOM6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thai-lan View Post
    cant believe thats only $526 new

this is actually my favorite gun, i got mine in 05... same model and everything.. i love it.

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    this is actually my favorite gun, i got mine in 05... same model and everything.. i love it.
    agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    if you call it a gat then know you should definately not be concealing or carrying a firearm

+1

I agree!
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by DOM6 View Post
    cant believe thats only $526 new
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/defa...35_13105_13341

peteroy01 is offline Senior Member
    grab a few pistols when you go to the store. double hand grip the pistol and look at something for a target, then throw the gun up. if the sights dont line up close then go to the next and so on and so forth until you find one that just fits you. the good thing with the xdm is that you can change the back grips depending on your hand size and this will contribute to your natural alignment. for me the the glocks felt like someone made a gun cut out of a 2x4 in shop class. my natural aim point was always low. but with the xd it was tits on. also if your into the 1911's, you can look at the browning high power. designed by the same guy 30yrs later.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What is your experience with firearms? People shouldn't be carrying guns until they reach a certain effeciency with one. You should be at least a B level USPSA shooter before you even think of carrying a gun. You need to be safe, responsible, and have great gun handling skills. I meet people everyday that carry guns and they can't handle a gun if their life depended on it. That creates a false sense of security.

That being said, what will you be doing mostly with this gun? If you're new to shooting I recommend something that is a good range gun. Meaning, you should get a full size gun prob. in 9mm because of the low recoil. I recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm full size. It's a great gun for $500 and it has a ton of great features. I recommended this gun to another member here and he LOVES it.

You shouldn't call it a gat either. Refer to firearms as guns or firearms and not weapons or gats. One of the biggest problems we face with the media is brought on by ourselves.

Buy yourself a safe for sure! You can get something small like a GunVault which has a quick access in case the SHTF!!!

sizerp is offline Banned
    Ok so I decided to go with the Glock 26.

I put a deposit down today and hopefully next week I'll find out if I am eligable for pick-up. (I should be).

It comes with 2 mags, 1 extended to 10 rounds.

Any recommendations on what type of cartridges to get? Also, should I get a box of snap caps (the rubber bullets)? I can get a box of 5 cartridges for about $20.

Worth it if I really DO ever need to fire on someone (first shot is a warning, second hurts a bit more, heh heh).

does it even fit in your hands??it seems to me that it would be way too small for my hands. but you know , whatever you like ..

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sizerp View Post

I put a deposit down today and hopefully next week I'll find out if I am eligable for pick-up. (I should be).

Any recommendations on what type of cartridges to get? Also, should I get a box of snap caps (the rubber bullets)? I can get a box of 5 cartridges for about $20.

Worth it if I really DO ever need to fire on someone (first shot is a warning, second hurts a bit more, heh heh).
    Conceal laws pretty much say the same thing...you fire you fire center mass. Precision shots to the head, leg, arm, shoulder are not only NOT LIKELY but if you did pull if off you'd end up with a law suit or civil charge because it was not your only option because of the time you had. It's retarded...but that's how it is

Federal HST 147grain +P for the summer time..

Federal Tactical Bonded 135 grain +P for the winter time...

Conceal laws pretty much say the same thing...you fire you fire center mass. Precision shots to the head, leg, arm, shoulder are not only NOT LIKELY but if you did pull if off you'd end up with a law suit or civil charge because it was not your only option because of the time you had. It's retarded...but that's how it is
    Thats impossible to prove...It's very easy to strike someone in the limbs or the head when you are rapid firing at close ranges. It would be very hard to prove a 'precision shot' and easy to claim it was a lucky shot, or that you were instinct shooting and thats where the rounds ended up. It is very unlikely that you will ever take aim in a gun battle, since 90% of gun fights happen within 3-5 feet of the person you are shooting at. Highly unlikely that you would ever engage someone farther than 7-10 yards out.

However, one REAL danger is to not use reloads/hand loads in your self defense weapon. There are a myriad of reasons for this, an overzealous prosecutor can paint you as a nut who wanted to kill people by making his ammunition more lethal. There was also a case of a man who's wife killed herself with one of his weapons which had hand loads. Because the ballistics of each round had variations that could not be measured, it was difficult to tell whether she had actually shot herself or someone else had. The husband ended up doing several years in prison because of this. Plus, factory match grade ammo is so good there is no reason to reload/hand load except to save money on target practice. DO NOT USE RELOADS IN YOUR SELF DEFENSE WEAPON!!

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Thats impossible to prove...It's very easy to strike someone in the limbs or the head when you are rapid firing at close ranges. It would be very hard to prove a 'precision shot' and easy to claim it was a lucky shot, or that you were instinct shooting and thats where the rounds ended up. It is very unlikely that you will ever take aim in a gun battle, since 90% of gun fights happen within 3-5 feet of the person you are shooting at. Highly unlikely that you would ever engage someone farther than 7-10 yards out.

However, one REAL danger is to not use reloads/hand loads in your self defense weapon. There are a myriad of reasons for this, an overzealous prosecutor can paint you as a nut who wanted to kill people by making his ammunition more lethal. There was also a case of a man who's wife killed herself with one of his weapons which had hand loads. Because the ballistics of each round had variations that could not be measured, it was difficult to tell whether she had actually shot herself or someone else had. The husband ended up doing several years in prison because of this. Plus, factory match grade ammo is so good there is no reason to reload/hand load except to save money on target practice. DO NOT USE RELOADS IN YOUR SELF DEFENSE WEAPON!!
    Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah the debate about headshots etc... I dunno men... If it's my life or theirs I don't give a fvck where I shoot em, as long as they are down.

Also, what exactly are reloads/hand loads? Are they custom cartridges or something? Hand load sounds kinda... sticky. lol.

sizerp is offline Banned
    So if I shot someone who was attacking me in the leg, I would get a lawsuit? lol... WTF?

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Federal HST 147grain +P for the summer time..

Federal Tactical Bonded 135 grain +P for the winter time...
    I live in SW Florida bro, and our winters are like summer, where our summers are like hell.

sizerp is offline Banned
    does it even fit in your hands??it seems to me that it would be way too small for my hands. but you know , whatever you like ..
    Yes, it's very small. Hence being my choice for a concealable weapon. The extended mag which you can see in the picture makes it a perfect grip length. Without the 10th round, my pinky hangs off the grip a bit. Felt good in my hand.

I picked up a Springfield XD, and some Taurus weaps. Decided to go with the Glock even though it was more expensive. Paid like $585 for everything including the background check.

What should I look for in regards to pricing for ammo? I don't want anything crazy just something solid, and not too junky. They usually go for like $1 a cartridge?

reload's are just that, empty shells reloaded for target practice.. but they have a higher rate of mis-fires... I use to teach firearms for the florida department of law enforcement, and reloads are pretty much all we used, and at least one round per firing order would be a mis-fire or squid load..

reloads are only for target practice, buy new high quality rounds to keep in your weapon while carrying...

about the fact on where and how to shot somebody.. just remember, when using any type of deadly force during the attempt to stop a forceable felony you are not shooting to kill, you are shooting to stop. so though killing might be what ends up happening, the law says you use deadly force to stop a crime. not in an atempt to kill....

so IF you ever use a weapon of any kind during a forceable felony, you really need to watch how you word things. if you put in your offical statement you were trying to kill him, though not always, it can end up biting you in the ass.....

any member of this site, that lives or works in the state of florida that wants to learn more about firearms, and simple to read legal case stories, you really need to buy this book... not only is it written buy one of the very best in self defense lawyers, it also is so easy to read and educational on not only your rights but laws.. that alot of law enforcement agendcys in florida give it to recuirts.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/p/...ship-Book.html

anybody in florida that carries a firearm should have that book

The Glock 26 is a good gun but not if you don't have a lot of experience with shooting then it's a bad choice. A subcompact gun is great for concealed carry but if you want to get profecient with shooting a subcompact is the WRONG choice.

Why? Well, start with the fact the gun is lighter so you will feel more of the recoil. Not that bid a deal with a 9mm BUT this added recoil will cause the shooter to flinch more causing you to shoot low and left if you're a righty. The short sight radius makes shooting much more difficult and takes a bit longer for sight alignment. Also, most of the subcompacts don't fit will in your hand so you never establish a proper grip on the firearm. However, they are easier to conceal. But, if you don't have a lot of skill with a firearm you SHOULD NOT BE CARRYING ONE!!! I'm a master level USPSA shooter and feel that if you're not at least a B class you shouldn't be carrying.

Good luck with the firearm but if you're a new shooter you should prob. look at a Glock 17 or 34 instead. Get skill with the firearms and then buy a 26. If you're a gunowner you'll have several guns or like many of us several dozen because each gun has a different use. I sometimes carry a Ruger LCP which is one of the smallest pocket pistols out there. It sucks ass to shoot but if I want to carry and I need something that is ultra concealable this is the gun of choice. However, it's only a .380 which is basically a 9mm short so it isn't the best stopper. But it's there as a last resort.

Good luck and more importantly BE SAFE!!!

As for reloads, it's all I shoot because I cater the loads to my guns to make a major powerfactor etc. but I would never carry reloads in a carry gun. I shoot about 35,000 rounds a year (except this year I'm way down) so I'm always reloading and would be able to shoot nearly as much if I didn't reload. I never have squibs or issues with my reloads but I also have a ton of experience with it and have a Dillon 1050 press which is pretty much the best you can get.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Pistol...

C-MaN is offline Senior Member
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm HANDS DOWN !

mho
    mho is offline Member

Eligible to pick up? Which constitution hating yankee state do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by mho View Post
    Eligible to pick up? Which constitution hating yankee state do you live in?
    In florida if you don't have a permitt, you have a three day waiting peroid on handguns so your application to own it is reviewed..

its only on handguns, and only if u don't have a CW permit.. its your back ground check is all

Takes 10 minutes in the wonderful state of Texas !

all you need for target is a 115 grain. Home protection i like the 147 grain hallow point... have to get those bad boys online though.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    reload's are just that, empty shells reloaded for target practice.. but they have a higher rate of mis-fires... I use to teach firearms for the florida department of law enforcement, and reloads are pretty much all we used, and at least one round per firing order would be a mis-fire or squid load..

reloads are only for target practice, buy new high quality rounds to keep in your weapon while carrying...

about the fact on where and how to shot somebody.. just remember, when using any type of deadly force during the attempt to stop a forceable felony you are not shooting to kill, you are shooting to stop. so though killing might be what ends up happening, the law says you use deadly force to stop a crime. not in an atempt to kill....

so IF you ever use a weapon of any kind during a forceable felony, you really need to watch how you word things. if you put in your offical statement you were trying to kill him, though not always, it can end up biting you in the ass.....

any member of this site, that lives or works in the state of florida that wants to learn more about firearms, and simple to read legal case stories, you really need to buy this book... not only is it written buy one of the very best in self defense lawyers, it also is so easy to read and educational on not only your rights but laws.. that alot of law enforcement agendcys in florida give it to recuirts.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/p/...ship-Book.html

anybody in florida that carries a firearm should have that book
    Thanks for that info I will be sure to order the book!

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete33 View Post
    The Glock 26 is a good gun but not if you don't have a lot of experience with shooting then it's a bad choice. A subcompact gun is great for concealed carry but if you want to get profecient with shooting a subcompact is the WRONG choice.

Why? Well, start with the fact the gun is lighter so you will feel more of the recoil. Not that bid a deal with a 9mm BUT this added recoil will cause the shooter to flinch more causing you to shoot low and left if you're a righty. The short sight radius makes shooting much more difficult and takes a bit longer for sight alignment. Also, most of the subcompacts don't fit will in your hand so you never establish a proper grip on the firearm. However, they are easier to conceal. But, if you don't have a lot of skill with a firearm you SHOULD NOT BE CARRYING ONE!!! I'm a master level USPSA shooter and feel that if you're not at least a B class you shouldn't be carrying.

Good luck with the firearm but if you're a new shooter you should prob. look at a Glock 17 or 34 instead. Get skill with the firearms and then buy a 26. If you're a gunowner you'll have several guns or like many of us several dozen because each gun has a different use. I sometimes carry a Ruger LCP which is one of the smallest pocket pistols out there. It sucks ass to shoot but if I want to carry and I need something that is ultra concealable this is the gun of choice. However, it's only a .380 which is basically a 9mm short so it isn't the best stopper. But it's there as a last resort.

Good luck and more importantly BE SAFE!!!

As for reloads, it's all I shoot because I cater the loads to my guns to make a major powerfactor etc. but I would never carry reloads in a carry gun. I shoot about 35,000 rounds a year (except this year I'm way down) so I'm always reloading and would be able to shoot nearly as much if I didn't reload. I never have squibs or issues with my reloads but I also have a ton of experience with it and have a Dillon 1050 press which is pretty much the best you can get.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Pistol...
    I appreciate the input. Yeah I am not looking to carry right away, just in the future I would like to conceal.

So now you got me thinking about the subcompact. I am debating to cancel the complete purchase of the 26 and go for the 17 or 19. The Glock 19 would be in between the 17 and smaller 26 as you know. Do you think that is is unreasonable to go this route? Or should I just stick with the 17?

I appreciate the input. Yeah I am not looking to carry right away, just in the future I would like to conceal.

So now you got me thinking about the subcompact. I am debating to cancel the complete purchase of the 26 and go for the 17 or 19. The Glock 19 would be in between the 17 and smaller 26 as you know. Do you think that is is unreasonable to go this route? Or should I just stick with the 17?
    The G19 isn't a bad compromise for sure. The 17 will be easier to shoot and if you ever get into competition will be a better choice for many reasons. The 19 is a good gun and is easier to shoot than the 26 for sure and is small enough to still carry. You can carry a 17 without issues as well. I sometimes carry a full size 1911 without issues. My typically carry gun is a Kimber CDP Ultra II compact though. A subcompact .45 can pack a pretty good size punch.

One other benefit of the 17 is that it will almost force you to buy another gun down the road. That's always a good thing in my eyes. HAHA The 17 will be a better choice to learn with than the 19 so if you want to get to a certain skill level that is what I recommend or the M&P 9 full size. I prefer the M&P for many reasons but that is my opinion. I'm not a Glock fan but they are one of the most popular guns on the market for a reason. I don't like the ergonomics of them, the trigger, the grip angle, and the way they fit my hand.

The guy I've been training shoots Glocks and he loves them and does pretty well with them. They are def. reliable and the 4th gens have some minor improvements as well.

Pete

they are easier to conceal. But, if you don't have a lot of skill with a firearm you SHOULD NOT BE CARRYING ONE!!! I'm a master level USPSA shooter and feel that if you're not at least a B class you shouldn't be carrying.
    I dont necessarily agree with that statement. The majority of gun owners and those who CCW will not go through the motions of becoming a B class USPSA shooter. More importantly, that should not really be a criteria for being able to protect yourself from bodily harm. Realistically, most people cannot afford to shoot nearly as many rounds as you do per year, and may have other hobbies or interests. Owning a firearm and having a CCW merely gives them a fighting chance if they are put in a situation which threatens their life. I wouldn't tell anyone not to carry because they haven't achieved X level of proficiency. I'd encourage people to practice as much as possible, and take courses when they are available and it is practical to do so.

sizerp is offline Banned
    The G19 isn't a bad compromise for sure. The 17 will be easier to shoot and if you ever get into competition will be a better choice for many reasons. The 19 is a good gun and is easier to shoot than the 26 for sure and is small enough to still carry. You can carry a 17 without issues as well. I sometimes carry a full size 1911 without issues. My typically carry gun is a Kimber CDP Ultra II compact though. A subcompact .45 can pack a pretty good size punch.

One other benefit of the 17 is that it will almost force you to buy another gun down the road. That's always a good thing in my eyes. HAHA The 17 will be a better choice to learn with than the 19 so if you want to get to a certain skill level that is what I recommend or the M&P 9 full size. I prefer the M&P for many reasons but that is my opinion. I'm not a Glock fan but they are one of the most popular guns on the market for a reason. I don't like the ergonomics of them, the trigger, the grip angle, and the way they fit my hand.

The guy I've been training shoots Glocks and he loves them and does pretty well with them. They are def. reliable and the 4th gens have some minor improvements as well.

Pete
    Ok thank you for the input! I will see the Gun guy next week and see if he has any 17s or 19s available!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information