Kibble is offline Anabolic Member

Any military bros in here? Retired or active

I am just wondering what you all do to maintain good cardio shape once you start to top 240lbs. The military forces you to run in a group for 5 miles about once every other week, as well as 3 miles twice a week. I haven't really seen too many dudes over 220lbs... but I know that there have to be some big ones out there. The average size of the guy in the military is about 175lbs.

I remember this guy named Jake Story or something like that. He was a big dude, and he somehow landed a job working at the gym, so he got lucky

Epic1 is offline Associate Member
    will be active in 7 weeks

Cool bro. If that is you in your avatar, then you will be ahead of your peers (in respect to physical conditioning)

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Ship on march 31st (army)

Teufel_Hunden is offline Associate Member
    Marine Corps.
    Active

Epic1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKuntry1984 View Post
    Cool bro. If that is you in your avatar, then you will be ahead of your peers (in respect to physical conditioning)
    Yeah that was thanksgiving. I was about 15lbs over my weight limit. But well within body fat range. But im gonna get lean and light before i go since its mainly running in boot camp.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    USMC retired.

Best

T

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    Army, at about 5'8'' 220 i never had any problems. I mean running was never my fun time. but they don't kill you with running. its just a mental event to be honest ..

marines, army rangers , special forces, and seals, Air force PJs.. now those guys do so much cardio i doubt you could be really muscular. though i will say i have seen some they were huge and still could do it, but they are few and fair between.

you have to remember, nomatter what people tell you 85% of armed services is support units, and they do cardio to keep their body in check not for actual mission ready cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Ship on march 31st (army)
    good luck man, not that i can be a major help but if you have any questions message me.

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    Army, at about 5'8'' 220 i never had any problems. I mean running was never my fun time. but they don't kill you with running. its just a mental event to be honest ..

marines, army rangers , special forces, and seals, Air force PJs.. now those guys do so much cardio i doubt you could be really muscular. though i will say i have seen some they were huge and still could do it, but they are few and fair between.

you have to remember, nomatter what people tell you 85% of armed services is support units, and they do cardio to keep their body in check not for actual mission ready cardio.
    Yeah you are right. I was more hoping for answers pertaining to the COmbat Arms. If I was a medic or a cook, it would be no problem to use AAS. But form the Infantry side, it is quite difficult. You rely on your cardiovascular endurance to do your job

Teufel_Hunden is offline Associate Member

Hell the POGs don't do shit. I can tell a lot of those guys juice cuz they are huge, but they also don't get up at 4am and run 5 miles everyday. IMO there are two Marine Corps., if you aren't in the infantry then you don't live a military lifestyle.

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by Odpierdol_sie!; 11-20-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Marching is fine for me, so long as my legs are conditioned. It is just those damn 5 mile runs. It usually takes me on average 14:10 to run 2 miles. That is with an average weight of 225.

I am seriously thinking of changing my job, just so that I can continue to progress in the gym

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
    Hell the POGs don't do shit. I can tell a lot of those guys juice cuz they are huge, but they also don't get up at 4am and run 5 miles everyday. IMO there are two Marine Corps., if you aren't in the infantry then you don't live a military lifestyle.
    I use to hold a combat MOS, i miss it in alot of times, but i love my family and needed to give it up.. but i agree with you there are two different types of people in the military. and honestly I believe there should be a pay difference for people holding a direct action combat related Job.

and like i said its not impossible to keep gains and get huge while in a combat MOS.. but it will take alot of self decipline on your part with diet and working out.

The problem is not getting huge, it is surviving the hasty lifestyle while you are big. Being 250lbs and trying to clear buildings using a SAW. Doing that for a few hours. Battle drills.... Platoon Attack. Those are nightmares once you top 240 lbs.

I coul;d never leave the combat MOS. Sure I love my family. Sure it is a dangerous job. But the people in the job make it all worth it. It is hard to find a family that matches those found in combat arms

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    I have 14yrs active duty in combat arms and specops...pm me for details if you need more info...

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    USAF retired

we only ran 1x year to prove ability..besides we had trucks and planes, or that's how the joke goes...

To answer your question though military that I know personally is stay lean to accomplish the mission, in the Marines the sgt will be bigger however if they didn't continue the conditioning of slow twitch muscle tissue they'd be even bigger so they sacrifice some size and strength in order to keep mobility.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Good way to put it Spywizard. I am mechanized Infantry, so I am usually able to get a ride to the objective. Once I get to a high enough pay grade then I can sit behind a desk. Once I can do that, I can live it up with the AAS. Guess I will have to wait a few more years

Quote Originally Posted by Misery13 View Post
    I have 14yrs active duty in combat arms and specops...pm me for details if you need more info...
    Special Ops is a whole different animal brother. I, myself, have no desire to face anything related to the SF agenda. Not the rapid deployments, not the Selection process. I prefer big guns and lots of soldiers. Not a few men behind enemy lines.

I do admire the conditioning of SF soldiers though

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    good luck man, not that i can be a major help but if you have any questions message me.
    Thanks bud. I appreciate that.

cwinson85 is offline New Member
    I just got out of the Army, Spent 5 years at ft bragg NC as and 11b(Infantry) paratrooper. I am currently at 5'7'' 185 and not near as lean as i would like to be. On one of my deployments i got up to around a lean 205. throwin up like 355 on the bench. Best "lifting shape" i have been in. At the time i hadnt run much for about 5 months and when we got back home and were running 5 miles 4 times a week i was SUCKIN'!!! From my point of view and my duty station as a 11B it would have been REALLY hard to keep size and run as much as we did.... Didnt take long for me to drop about 20lbs and get back into running shape again.

The problem is not getting huge, it is surviving the hasty lifestyle while you are big. Being 250lbs and trying to clear buildings using a SAW. Doing that for a few hours. Battle drills.... Platoon Attack. Those are nightmares once you top 240 lbs.

I coul;d never leave the combat MOS. Sure I love my family. Sure it is a dangerous job. But the people in the job make it all worth it. It is hard to find a family that matches those found in combat arms
    well it is true the friends you meet are the best. but any combat MOS soldier that makes it to ten years probably has at lease one ex wife.. and I didn't want that.

I have only been in 8yrs, and have 3 combat tours, and also training tours to el Salvador, Honduras and Germany. . I just knew I couldn't keep my wife and daughters happy. . I was a Sapper, and then went to an SF unit and tried out with them made it well into the school before breaking my ankle and dropping out. thats also when i choose to switch into what I have my civilian education in, and heck I still get attached to infantry companies.

BTW, who the heck clears a building with a SAW? maybe in training, but real world I have never seen that. SAW's are only brought maybe as outside or roof top over watch.. That is some old style training to clear a house with it.. only the joe's caring them, get your rank up if they are doing that to you.

IMO, I think most all people should start out in a combat MOS. you get more of a love and understanding for the big picture of the military.... its not required to have all that. but i do believe most people need it... but thats just my opinion
    Last edited by quarry206; 12-06-2009 at 06:14 PM.

well it is true the friends you meet are the best. but any combat MOS soldier that makes it to ten years probably has at lease one ex wife.. and I didn't want that.

I have only been in 8yrs, and have 3 combat tours, and also training tours to el Salvador, Honduras and Germany. . I just knew I couldn't keep my wife and daughters happy. . I was a Sapper, and then went to an SF unit and tried out with them made it well into the school before breaking my ankle and dropping out. thats also when i choose to switch into what I have my civilian education in, and heck I still get attached to infantry companies.

BTW, who the heck clears a building with a SAW? maybe in training, but real world I have never seen that. SAW's are only brought maybe as outside or roof top over watch.. That is some old style training to clear a house with it.. only the joe's caring them, get your rank up if they are doing that to you.

IMO, I think most all people should start out in a combat MOS. you get more of a love and understanding for the big picture of the military.... its not required to have all that. but i do believe most people need it... but thats just my opinion
    You need to clear a house with a SAW. Well, first man in has a shotgun. Second and third have M4s. Last man (myself) has the SAW. You need the SAW in order to set up a Patrol Base in the buildings. Nothing provides better overwatch than SAW in a 2nd story window. I love the SAW because it is not that heavy. I also carry an additional 400 rounds. And about the rank, I am a SSG lol. The best part of being a squad leader is the ability to mold your squad into what you want it to be. The conventional method of performing battle drills is important.... but it is just the base for combat tactics. The successors are the ones who are creative, and adaptive. I only have two combat tours. One was Ramadi in 2003. The other was Al Asad in 2006. It is about time that I go again lol

SAWs are not used for "Support by Fire". I am Mechanized Infantry. We use a 240B at the bare minimum for the external "Support by Fire". An ideal "Support by Fire" would be a mounted .50 or MK19. Both mounted on an ASV... the most badass combat vehicle lol

You need to clear a house with a SAW. Well, first man in has a shotgun. Second and third have M4s. Last man (myself) has the SAW. You need the SAW in order to set up a Patrol Base in the buildings. Nothing provides better overwatch than SAW in a 2nd story window. I love the SAW because it is not that heavy. I also carry an additional 400 rounds. And about the rank, I am a SSG lol. The best part of being a squad leader is the ability to mold your squad into what you want it to be. The conventional method of performing battle drills is important.... but it is just the base for combat tactics. The successors are the ones who are creative, and adaptive. I only have two combat tours. One was Ramadi in 2003. The other was Al Asad in 2006. It is about time that I go again lol
    ok I understand your point now.. i was thinking you were talking about room to room clearing or something not taking over a building for patrol use.. and my gosh i would never want a SAW in close quarters. I love my M4 though, to be honest though I love having the SAW on my team I hate carrying or using the weapon.

lol yeah I am with you on the SAW for not being used in room clearing. The ricochets would be disasterous! The noise would also fvcking suck. Mobility is not an issue(with the collapseable buttstock and shortened barrel), but what I listed above is an issue. Nothing beats a shotgun for room clearing. Perfect knockdown power

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Special Ops is a whole different animal brother. I, myself, have no desire to face anything related to the SF agenda. Not the rapid deployments, not the Selection process. I prefer big guns and lots of soldiers. Not a few men behind enemy lines.

I do admire the conditioning of SF soldiers though
    Oh I'm 5_6 and i- roll bretween 210 and 220 my goal is 235

Thread Information