Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avatar

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I just watched it today in 3D Imax and holy $hit ! One of, if not the best movie i have ever seen. The graphics alone blew me away.

Tesla is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I just watched it today in 3D Imax and holy $hit ! One of, if not the best movie i have ever seen. The graphics alone blew me away.
    I'll agree with your assessment of the graphics. The movie is worth seeing just for that but the story is nothing special.

The astute Avatar watcher will notice that the very reason the marines are there changes throughout the movie. It's not consistent. It starts off being all about mining the uber-expensive ore that's worth a bazillion dollars an ounce. Towards the end of the movie they switch gears. The ore is totally forgotton about. It becomes all about man destroying the "green" on earth and needing to come to another planet.

KnowHope is offline Junior Member
    Definitely the attraction is the introduction of the new 3D technology they utilized within the movie that will transcend through the years.

As a storyteller, James Cameron is never really THAT great at bringing these things to life. He is mainly a glorified Michael Bay. However, he does know how to utilize his gargantuan budget a lot more effectively.

The animations and graphic quality was a once-in-a-lifetime experience with mind-blowing visuals. Take those away, and the movie would become a burning piece of shit, a poor mans Pochahontas.

(TLF) CHAMPION54 is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up

Yup watched in 3D last night, And it was pretty amazing animation quality!
    I have never seen a movie with such extreme detail.

Go see it everybody.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowHope View Post
    James Cameron is mainly a glorified Michael Bay.
    Glorified Michael Bay?

Bay is a HACK compared to Cameron. Bay doesn't write his own movies. He's never written ANYTHING. He directs big action sequences and lets the 2nd unit do everything else. Cameron writes, directs, lights, shoots, edits, etc.

Him and Michael Bay do not belong in the same sentence together - it's like comparing a five course dinner to a piece of shit. Name one character driven Michael bay film.

That said I don't think this was Cameron's crowning achievement. In terms of story it was just okay. Cameron is an average storyteller but he really does shine when it comes to the third act. I was bored throughout most of the movie but I have to admit the final action sequence was awesome. And the visual and stereoscopic effects were top notch. The man is a damn PIONEER in that area
    Last edited by Polska; 12-28-2009 at 11:10 PM.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    It must be good, I have to reserve an I MAX seat at least 5 days in advance (checked 3 theatres).

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Going to see tommorow morning, and champion54 I LOVE your avatar.

Last time I dressed up for halloween I was actually ladimer, did the face paint the same exact way too. Classic movie indeed.

(TLF) CHAMPION54 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Going to see tommorow morning, and champion54 I LOVE your avatar.

Last time I dressed up for halloween I was actually ladimer, did the face paint the same exact way too. Classic movie indeed.
    Lattimer is my idol.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was awesome.

Special effects were blown away!

Took my kids Christmas day.

Best

T

KnowHope is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Glorified Michael Bay?

Bay is a HACK compared to Cameron. Bay doesn't write his own movies. He's never written ANYTHING. He directs big action sequences and lets the 2nd unit do everything else. Cameron writes, directs, lights, shoots, edits, etc.

Him and Michael Bay do not belong in the same sentence together - it's like comparing a five course dinner to a piece of shit. Name one character driven Michael bay film.

That said I don't think this was Cameron's crowning achievement. In terms of story it was just okay. Cameron is an average storyteller but he really does shine when it comes to the third act. I was bored throughout most of the movie but I have to admit the final action sequence was awesome. And the visual and stereoscopic effects were top notch. The man is a damn PIONEER in that area
    I agree with the fact he is a trailblazer and a pioneer when it comes to the movies he makes. Terminator 2 for instance, still blows me away with it's visual effects.

What I mean by glorified Michael Bay, is that in the graphics and animation component. This being said in the fact that, Michael Bay relies on his movies to heavily rely on graphics, explosions, and a heavy green screen inclination. The only difference is that Cameron's budget is triple [if not quadruple] as large as Bay.

Therefore, in my comparison I am just comparing the storytelling ability between the two. However I do agree that Cameron is way superior than Bay in terms of directing.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i loved the special effects and the story line. i thought the story was great. i do have to admit though that it probably wouldnt of been as good if not in 3D
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    I took my daughter on her 13th birthday. We both loved lt!

Epic1 is offline Associate Member
    i dont know why people say the plot sucks? What would have been a better one?

That movie pulls alot of emotions outta ya and was good from beginning to end. I found myself thinking about it alot after i watched it. I cant remember a time a movie did that to me.

running_scared is offline Junior Member
    One of the best films of the decade. The only possible contenders to that are: Batman begins and Pan’s Labyrinth. Folks seem to forget, for Avatar being such a sci-fi, 3-d adventure, you need to have that traditional story. Cameron hit a home run.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic1 View Post

That movie pulls alot of emotions outta ya and was good from beginning to end. I found myself thinking about it alot after i watched it. I cant remember a time a movie did that to me.
    How about instead of an alien and human falling in love, an alien and the easter bunny do?

All though this movie was visually stimulating, it has the most predictable plot and ending ever. At so many points in the movie you can actually predict exactly what the next person is going to say, and that does NOT make a movie good.

The only thing you were "thinking" about was pretty colors, seriously. Throw some paint and lights on a screen and call me a movie producer.. gzzz. I thought the movie was good but only good, and all the rave reviews its getting only shows how easy it is to entertain americans, because most of them are infact morons.
    Last edited by Bojangles69; 01-04-2010 at 12:59 AM.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

agree. i thought the storyline was great. i actually took my 4 year old son and 8 year old niece to see it yesterday and they both loved it. it was my 2nd time seeing it and i enjoyed it just as much
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Epic1 is offline Associate Member
    the ONLY thing i didnt really like about it was the actor that played the A-hole general or whatever he was. He was over-the-top and annoyed me.

Blog Entries

+2 I liked the story as well.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    the ONLY thing i didnt really like about it was the actor that played the A-hole general or whatever he was. He was over-the-top and annoyed me.
    Yeah! Loved him walking around inside the gunship, during battle, with a mug of coffee in his hand ...... lol

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Friend View Post
    Was anyone else totally blown away by this movie?
    Im going tuesday, if its as good as you say al hook you up with the girls in my old avi

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    Quote Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post
    Im going tuesday, if its as good as you say al hook you up with the girls in my old avi
    Done deal bro

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    I had no clue what it was even about before I saw it. But my friend wanted to go see it with her kids so I went and I liked it alot..... Big Rich approved!

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Just got back from seeing it, plot was a bit predictable but overall a fantastic movie.

Jon the Rooster is offline Junior Member
    No Doubt The Best 3D Movie Effects I have ever seen!! I'm so impressed with the clarity of the scenes, like you were there!! All I can say is wow!!!
    Going to see it again soon!!

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Watched it on I max today... very impressed. Half way through I thought, hey I've seen this before.

FERN GULLY! I couldn't believe how bad ass they remade a kids movie.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Wicked movie, it blew me away

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Anybody else find those blue chicks hot?

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    i thought it was visually stunning, but i thought the story was poignant as well. a culture where everyone is truly connected, and they're connected to the land and creatures they subsist with/from... and the a-hole humans coming from the world they've wrecked to plunder this place of balance... if nothing else, it was a reminder to me about how fvcking selfish many humans are and largely miss the point of life. but maybe that's just me :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    With the avatars being so big i wonder how large his penis is.

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post

All over that shit

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor

I agree, saw it with my family on the Imax in 3D. Surely one of the best movies Ive seen. Beyond the incredible effects, it was an awesome movie.

Blog Entries
    Going to see it again next weekend.

PistolStarta is offline Senior Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zaJdq0VUtk

Back from the dead for the Hot blue chick fans!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information