Thread: Sleep Apnea

jbran23 is offline Senior Member

Sleep Apnea

Anyone on here have sleep apnea and if so what's your story that goes along with it. How did you get it diagnosed, what route did you go to take care of it, and how did it effect you in your daily life?

Im very interested because I think that I suffer from it as I have many tell tale signs but have been unable to get the sleep study done for a proper diagnoses because I was recently laid off from my job and lost my health insurance.

Tesla is offline Member
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was constantly fatigued during the day. I had the pillar implant procedure done and I'm much, much better. As an added benefit, the pillar implants cured my snoring too.

http://www.restoremedical.com/

How much did the precedure cost? I dont have insurance at the moment unfortunately. I am a very loud snorer. My girlfriend complains about it constantly so curing the snoring and the apnea would be great for both of us.

Bump

buffgator is offline king of mass
    I have got diagnosed 5 years ago. I was falling asleep all day long, and it got to the point where I couldnt even drive. I would wake up in the morning with a headache, swollen eye lids, trembling hands. It was misserable. I was given a cpap machine and now it seems to come and go, but never to the point that it once was.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    1.5 years since I got diagnosed.

You need to have a sleep study done and they are quite expensive.
    My insurance paid.

I wake up every 30 to 40 seconds and never get any rem sleep
    also I hold my breath for up to 2 min in my sleep just to get a little rem.

I have a friend who is an ENT and he says not to go for surgery...the results aren't that great at this point although some do well.

I use a CPAP machine and it works great.

Man, I guess I just need to hope I can land a job with some good insurance so I can get this taken care of. Im EXHUASTED every single day and feel like I could sleep forever. I wake up in the morning after "sleeping" 8 hours and feel like I didnt sleep a wink. Its driving me crazy at this point.

fizler is offline Associate Member
    My friend who was ALWAYS tired just got diagnosed with this. He had to go to a sleep center and got this machine that hes uses every night. I saw him after 5 days of treatment and he was like a new man.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    I have it, had a sleep test done years ago and they said I was waking up every 2 minutes when I was in my deepest sleep. I ended up having maxillofacial jaw surgery, in which they moved my upper and lower jaw forward by 1cm, the idea being that there would be more room in my mouth and throat for air to pass through. My dad has sleep apnea as well and uses a cpap machine for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    I have it, had a sleep test done years ago and they said I was waking up every 2 minutes when I was in my deepest sleep. I ended up having maxillofacial jaw surgery, in which they moved my upper and lower jaw forward by 1cm, the idea being that there would be more room in my mouth and throat for air to pass through. My dad has sleep apnea as well and uses a cpap machine for it.
    And that procedure worked for you? How did you feel after compared to how you felt before?

Also, did most of you guys snore before you got the apnea taken care of? Seems like very loud snoring and sleep apnea go almost hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jbran23 View Post
    And that procedure worked for you? How did you feel after compared to how you felt before?

Also, did most of you guys snore before you got the apnea taken care of? Seems like very loud snoring and sleep apnea go almost hand in hand.
    I've been compared to trying to sleep next to a passenger jet.

basically what I'm told is it gets progressivly louder and louder until I wake myself up in sort of a gasping snort and then it's quiet for about 20 seconds...then it starts again. I guess the lack of harmony to the whole thing makes it even worse for a would be sleeper.

With the cpap it's dead quiet.

Tesla is offline Member
    The pillar implants are $1,800 out of pocket. Insurance doesn't cover it. Honestly though, it's probably the best $1,800 I've ever spent. I no longer need the CPAP machine after the procedure. Oh, and the procedure is super-easy. It's done right in the doctor's office. They inject the roof of your mouth (not as bad as it sounds) to numb it and then use a little device that looks like a toy gun to inject the implants. The first day I was sore but after that....nothing. Can't even feel them in there.

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    A friend of mine had it and would fall a sleep anywhere unfortunately he passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by sigman roid View Post
    A friend of mine had it and would fall a sleep anywhere unfortunately he passed away.
    Sorry to hear about your friend. Was it related to the sleep apnea in any way?

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by jbran23 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your friend. Was it related to the sleep apnea in any way?
    As far as i know its what caused him to pass away

Quote Originally Posted by sigman roid View Post
    As far as i know its what caused him to pass away
    Wow, all the more reason for me to get some insurance and get it taken care of ASAP. I have heard of all the health risks involved with sleep apnea so I guess that should serve as a reminder to anyone who feels they may be suffering from it, dont take it lightly. Sorry again to hear about your friend Sigman.

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    shit im not just saying it bt im always tired

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    1.5 years since I got diagnosed.

You need to have a sleep study done and they are quite expensive.
    My insurance paid.

I wake up every 30 to 40 seconds and never get any rem sleep
    also I hold my breath for up to 2 min in my sleep just to get a little rem.

I have a friend who is an ENT and he says not to go for surgery...the results aren't that great at this point although some do well.

I use a CPAP machine and it works great.
    I would recomend trying the surgery - if you respond well, you can live free of that damn machine, if you don't, it was just a little aggravation and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA View Post
    I would recomend trying the surgery - if you respond well, you can live free of that damn machine, if you don't, it was just a little aggravation and pain.
    I would preferably rather go with the surgery and be done with it. Not sure what the success rate is with it.

Was thinking about this the other day, if you suffer from very bad sleep apnea, you wouldnt ever have dreams due to the fact that you never get into a deep enough sleep to dream. Correct? I had some very vivid dreams the other night that seemed like they lasted all night thats what made me think of it. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by jbran23;5048***
    I would preferably rather go with the surgery and be done with it. Not sure what the success rate is with it.

Was thinking about this the other day, if you suffer from very bad sleep apnea, you wouldnt ever have dreams due to the fact that you never get into a deep enough sleep to dream. Correct? I had some very vivid dreams the other night that seemed like they lasted all night thats what made me think of it. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this assumption.
    I have dreams and I'm on the severe end of apnea. I dream in color and sound too.
    Sometimes I dream I can't breathe...true story, wake up gasping for air

machine isn't bad, I don't mind it

zackle is offline New Member
    I had a bud of mine who had to wear a mask while he slept. After dropping about 40 pounds, it subsided quite a bit.

Thread Information