Thread: Gun Guys

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Gun Guys

Still looking at making my first purchase on a pistol. I was looking at the glocks but i was also told to look at the Springfield armory XD model. I was looking at some reviews and the .45 XD model looks pretty solid. Just trying to get others opinions.

I have to see if my range has them for rent so i can first fire it.

NC600cbr is offline Associate Member
    DSM - I have the XDm-40cal.

Your picture is of the tactical version of the XD - are you looking for a full size? Is this just for target shooting / range fun? Home defense? A carry firearm?

A full size is very large and if you plan on carrying I would suggest a smaller model.

I love the XDm. My carry gun is a Glock 27 (subcompact .40 cal) My friend has the Glock 30 - which is the compact .45 cal. Both are very nice guns.
    With that said I have probably 4,000 rounds through my XDm and a handful of failures. It has not been as reliable as my G27, but I very much enjoy the gun.

DOM6 is offline Member
    just rent a glock, beretta, sig, some kind of 1911, and see what you like best, main thing is what is it mainly for? G26, G27, G30/G36 are great carry guns but not a 25yrd target pistol,
    Imo a great 1st glock is the G19 or G23 try 1 of those out
    Good thing about the Glock 23 is you can switch the barrel to a 9mm or 357 or keep it at 40cal.
    take into consideration ammo prices 9mm is$18-$21 for a box of 100
    when 45.acp can be $35 for only 50
    but 22. cal is like $13 for 500

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NC600cbr View Post
    DSM - I have the XDm-40cal.

Your picture is of the tactical version of the XD - are you looking for a full size? Is this just for target shooting / range fun? Home defense? A carry firearm?

A full size is very large and if you plan on carrying I would suggest a smaller model.

I love the XDm. My carry gun is a Glock 27 (subcompact .40 cal) My friend has the Glock 30 - which is the compact .45 cal. Both are very nice guns.
    With that said I have probably 4,000 rounds through my XDm and a handful of failures. It has not been as reliable as my G27, but I very much enjoy the gun.
    Full size ? I believe i was looking at the .40 cal model. Is that the Xdm ?
    I want it for fun/home defense.

I shot the Glock17 but not the springfield. I handled the Glock pretty good hitting center mass at 50 ft. A friend of my told me about how good the springfield was and recommended it over the glock for a first time buy.

DOM6 is offline Member
    only time you'll have any issue with a glock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gun Guys-funny.jpg  

DOM6 is offline Member
    ive never seen a range rent a Xd ever, kinda tells ya something

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I have a Glock 23 .40, I've never used an XD but I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them. I'm pretty sure you'd be making a great choice if you picked up an XD.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I do believe the XDM got handgun of the year. Its not made in a .45 yet. But the .40 xdm is getting nothing but great reviews.

Probably couldn't go wrong with a XD .45 either.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Full size ? I believe i was looking at the .40 cal model. Is that the Xdm ?
    I want it for fun/home defense.

I shot the Glock17 but not the springfield. I handled the Glock pretty good hitting center mass at 50 ft. A friend of my told me about how good the springfield was and recommended it over the glock for a first time buy.
    Well you can't go wrong with either the Glock or Springfield in my opinion.
    I own both!
    As for a first time buy i'd say the Glock is actually easier to maintain. A little easier to clean / take apart, but not by much. Both are simple.

The XDm comes in a 4.5" barrel or 3.8" barrel and only in .40 or 9mm Check out their website for more info - springfieldarmory.com The tactical version is a full 5" barrel and .45 but is not offered in the XDm version.

The Glock comes in other variations that are worth checking out as well

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    Well, this is right down my alley. Here's a post I made recently about XDs from another forum:

I have owned many XDs since 2004. In general, I like them very much. In all flavors, too. 9mm, 40, 45, compact, service model, tactical -- you name it. There was a XD40 service model I was particularly fond of, but ultimate I parted ways with all of mine. I gave up on the XD9's because I prefer the G19 and G26. I gave up one XD45's because of FTFeed issues, but loved my other XD45 and XD40 but ultimately sold them because of the availability of replacement parts. Springfield intentionally does not sell common OEM replacement parts to regular vendors. Everything you need that is not an aftermarket upgrade of some sort is only available through Springfield. Meanwhile -- Glock parts are ubiquitous. When it comes to preparing my selection of firearms for posterity's sake, the Glock is a no-brainer. No matter what laws are passed in the future I'll be able to find replacement parts for my Glock. So will my kids. XDs? Not so much.

In a different political climate and a budget for non-essential firearms I'd love to own another XD45 if they fix their OEM mag spring issues. But not right now.
    The mag spring issues I had were only on the XD45. In a nutshell, the OEM springs are generally OK, but the accepted solution to the problem if you have an XD45 that has this issue is to upgrade the spring to a stronger aftermarket spring at $8 a pop for each mag (on top of the $30 you'll pay for a new mag in the first place). And this is with brand new magazines. I don't mind upgrading parts to customize my firearms -- in fact, that's half the fun -- but doing so just to get the gun to function properly in the first place is just bullshit to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    I do believe the XDM got handgun of the year. Its not made in a .45 yet. But the .40 xdm is getting nothing but great reviews.

Probably couldn't go wrong with a XD .45 either.
    I put the wrong picture up. The XDM .40 cal is the one i was looking at. I need to go to my local shop and hold it. Would be awesome if i can find a range that rents that gun so i can first shoot it.

Blog Entries
    Well you can't go wrong with either the Glock or Springfield in my opinion.
    I own both!
    As for a first time buy i'd say the Glock is actually easier to maintain. A little easier to clean / take apart, but not by much. Both are simple.

The XDm comes in a 4.5" barrel or 3.8" barrel and only in .40 or 9mm Check out their website for more info - springfieldarmory.com The tactical version is a full 5" barrel and .45 but is not offered in the XDm version.

The Glock comes in other variations that are worth checking out as well
    Reason the Springfield was recommended to me over the glock was for all the safety features.

Reason the Springfield was recommended to me over the glock was for all the safety features.
    Your trigger finger is your safety!

The Springfields have a grip safety(which some people dislike), while the glocks just have the trigger safety.

All in all its not much difference really. Go with whichever you're more comfortable with.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Fu*k the safety features. The safety on your weapon is your brain and your finger. Where are you shooting at, Colissimo's? I used to have a membership there, not bad for a handgun only range. I personally prefer the SIG P229, as an all around home defense/range gun. However, I would recommend you go with a 'standard' full size handgun for your first gun, as they are much easier to learn on.

Springfield has a very big "cult following," so understand you are getting some heavily biased information. Glock, Springfield, Sig, H&K, Beretta, are all great manufacture's and no gun will be significantly better than the other when you are talking about brands of the caliber. I recommend .40 cal, just because it is a very common round, has a significant amount of knockdown power, and a marginal amount of recoil when compared to the .45, especially for a new gun owner. The best part is, there are a host of weapons that come chambered in .40.

What should really make the difference for you, is holding the weapon. You should hold the weapons you plan to buy, and see which ones feel the most comfortable in your hand. The grip angles and materials used on them varies greatly by manufacturer. For instance, some people took issue with the grip angle and 'slippery' feel the Glock's used to have, until they started texturing the grip better. There's a whole host of things that go into buying a handgun. Hold them, and see which one feels perfect in your hand. When I picked up my P229, it was love at first sight, and I knew that gun felt incredible in my hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Fu*k the safety features. The safety on your weapon is your brain and your finger. Where are you shooting at, Colissimo's? I used to have a membership there, not bad for a handgun only range. I personally prefer the SIG P229, as an all around home defense/range gun. However, I would recommend you go with a 'standard' full size handgun for your first gun, as they are much easier to learn on.

Springfield has a very big "cult following," so understand you are getting some heavily biased information. Glock, Springfield, Sig, H&K, Beretta, are all great manufacture's and no gun will be significantly better than the other when you are talking about brands of the caliber. I recommend .40 cal, just because it is a very common round, has a significant amount of knockdown power, and a marginal amount of recoil when compared to the .45, especially for a new gun owner. The best part is, there are a host of weapons that come chambered in .40.

What should really make the difference for you, is holding the weapon. You should hold the weapons you plan to buy, and see which ones feel the most comfortable in your hand. The grip angles and materials used on them varies greatly by manufacturer. For instance, some people took issue with the grip angle and 'slippery' feel the Glock's used to have, until they started texturing the grip better. There's a whole host of things that go into buying a handgun. Hold them, and see which one feels perfect in your hand. When I picked up my P229, it was love at first sight, and I knew that gun felt incredible in my hand.
    The glock felt good but i only shot the 9MM model. I need to just go and handle a few more.

Your trigger finger is your safety!

The Springfields have a grip safety(which some people dislike), while the glocks just have the trigger safety.

All in all its not much difference really. Go with whichever you're more comfortable with.
    True.

Hard.On is offline Senior Member
    For you DSM I recommend the ass Blaster 3000

or the smith and wesson M&P my fav

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    For you DSM I recommend the ass Blaster 3000

or the smith and wesson M&P my fav
    That caliber looks just right !

Thread Information