Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja

The Stock Market

I have never seen a post regarding the stock market on this forum. After having a very successful day in the market, it gave me the idea to make this post.

Not sure how many people on here are into this... I am betting more than some may think, so here goes nothing.

Figured people could give tips, advice or just over BS and vent about the market. My personal favorite right now would be Ambac Financial (ABK) I started looking into them about 3 months back based on a small tip from a good friend. I bought in at $0.57 per share. It hadn't done much until the last 3 days of trading but as you can see it went from $0.67 a share to $2.44 per unit. I got real excited about this one as I bought a good amount while it was very low. I can only see this stock climbing its way back up hopefully (its a big hope) to its once held $96 per unit.

I am also watching Syncora Holdings (SYCRF) with the same hopes for this company. I have not bought in yet but planning on it within the week.

Anyone else with any recent luck? If you're not playing the game.... Start! Nows the time.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    ok i got some silver and also have some funds that pay dividends.....dont know much about market though i got financial advisor that for me

There's a higher risk income fund out of Red Deer called RIFCO... I deal with them on a daily basis with my business. I am kind of on the fence with them. I have some shares but not a lot because they may go either way. I am leaning more to success with them, they just need to become more aggressive. Being an Albertan and close to the action, maybe ask you advisor to check them out for you.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    EVERY stock I have ever bough is bankrupt withing a few weeks. LOL Only once did I pick a stock that went up; but I didnt sell it until it was also just another penny stock. I watched it got from $5000 invested up to $250,000.00 and back down to around $3000.00 LOL Ohhh those where the days. Of course there was a lot going on in between so it was not just as easy as why didnt you sell and hindsight is always 20/20

I stick to only my 401K now. It has been doing very nicely the last few years. Im not touching it or watching it much. It has doubled in the last year alone so it's all good.

supersize me is offline Associate Member
    I personally don't dabble, just let the big man do his thing. My philosophy is they have their job for a reason so let them do it. But I am all for someone who can play the game right and come out ahead. I simply don't trust myself enough.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    There's a higher risk income fund out of Red Deer called RIFCO... I deal with them on a daily basis with my business. I am kind of on the fence with them. I have some shares but not a lot because they may go either way. I am leaning more to success with them, they just need to become more aggressive. Being an Albertan and close to the action, maybe ask you advisor to check them out for you.
    i look into it thank my man.

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    Just bought VISN. You have any info on syncora?

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    Income funds by thier nature are less aggressive and try to stay on that side of the fence. Income funds typically will also provide less in returns (quantified to percentages) than a well run growth fund in a bull market. In addition income funds will usually result in a negative tax implication for people who are still in the work force. Although individual circumstance will vary, risk tolerances, available equity for investment, long term goals, and expenses (among other variables) should all be considered.

Moto

Quote Originally Posted by suprman09 View Post
    Just bought VISN. You have any info on syncora?
    No I haven't found enough info on them yet thats why I have not invested yet. They were brought to my attention and based on what they represent and the with the American economy needing to rebound they will most likely become a profitable company. I am a beginner in the stock market and by no means am advanced enough to give educated opinions, just floating around some ideas.... Don't take any of my suggestions too serious please do your own research

Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter View Post
    Income funds by thier nature are less aggressive and try to stay on that side of the fence. Income funds typically will also provide less in returns (quantified to percentages) than a well run growth fund in a bull market. In addition income funds will usually result in a negative tax implication for people who are still in the work force. Although individual circumstance will vary, risk tolerances, available equity for investment, long term goals, and expenses (among other variables) should all be considered.

Moto
    Sounds like you know what you're talking about.... well educated in this area I see. I appreciate the advice. The only thing I do know is they are trying to build themselves up to be bought by a major bank in the next 5 years. I have personally sat down with CFO of Rifco and he explained how the company started out and what they have done over the years and what they have planned for the future. He is very down to earth. With the Canadian economy suffering a hit itself over the last 2 years I believe companies like RIFCO will have a big hand in helping people rebuild their credit and get back on their feet. A lot of people have ruined their credit and companies like this will hopefully make a good profit on the near future. For example they are trying to duplicate companies like VFC and Travellers (all these are Canadian based companies) VFC was bought out by TD bank and Travellers bought out by Scotia Bank which in turn proved relatively profitable for early investors. A good example of an income fund based out of Edmonton, AB Canada which is now doing big things is Carfinco (CFN.UN) they are looking to be bought out within the next 2 years and have done some major growth over the last year. Their numbers for 2009 compared to 2008 are extremely impressive.

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you know what you're talking about.... well educated in this area I see. I appreciate the advice. The only thing I do know is they are trying to build themselves up to be bought by a major bank in the next 5 years. I have personally sat down with CFO of Rifco and he explained how the company started out and what they have done over the years and what they have planned for the future. He is very down to earth. With the Canadian economy suffering a hit itself over the last 2 years I believe companies like RIFCO will have a big hand in helping people rebuild their credit and get back on their feet. A lot of people have ruined their credit and companies like this will hopefully make a good profit on the near future. For example they are trying to duplicate companies like VFC and Travellers (all these are Canadian based companies) VFC was bought out by TD bank and Travellers bought out by Scotia Bank which in turn proved relatively profitable for early investors. A good example of an income fund based out of Edmonton, AB Canada which is now doing big things is Carfinco (CFN.UN) they are looking to be bought out within the next 2 years and have done some major growth over the last year. Their numbers for 2009 compared to 2008 are extremely impressive.
    I have been in the business for some time, am a Sr. equity analyst, with a series 6, 7, 63, yadda, yadda, yadda.

anyway, research is a very important part. there are several books out there that can help non professionals (and some professionals) get a good handle on the fundamantals that make for a good investment. I'd be happy to recommend some if anyone is interested or give an opinion/answer questions. just PM me.

Moto

Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter View Post
    I have been in the business for some time, am a Sr. equity analyst, with a series 6, 7, 63, yadda, yadda, yadda.

anyway, research is a very important part. there are several books out there that can help non professionals (and some professionals) get a good handle on the fundamantals that make for a good investment. I'd be happy to recommend some if anyone is interested or give an opinion/answer questions. just PM me.

Moto
    Much appreciated.... PM sent

Abominator is offline Banned
    I have never seen a post regarding the stock market on this forum. After having a very successful day in the market, it gave me the idea to make this post.

Not sure how many people on here are into this... I am betting more than some may think, so here goes nothing.

Figured people could give tips, advice or just over BS and vent about the market. My personal favorite right now would be Ambac Financial (ABK) I started looking into them about 3 months back based on a small tip from a good friend. I bought in at $0.57 per share. It hadn't done much until the last 3 days of trading but as you can see it went from $0.67 a share to $2.44 per unit. I got real excited about this one as I bought a good amount while it was very low. I can only see this stock climbing its way back up hopefully (its a big hope) to its once held $96 per unit.

I am also watching Syncora Holdings (SYCRF) with the same hopes for this company. I have not bought in yet but planning on it within the week.

Anyone else with any recent luck? If you're not playing the game.... Start! Nows the time.
    You using any sort of analysis to predict the futures of your choices in stock? I've never paid much attention to the stock market but the foreign exchange market has caught my eye. Trading is something I eventually want to do full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    You using any sort of analysis to predict the futures of your choices in stock? I've never paid much attention to the stock market but the foreign exchange market has caught my eye. Trading is something I eventually want to do full time.
    No real analysis as of yet just personal research. I am only 26 and am just getting into the stock market. I am mainly sticking with companies I can personally relate to. I own my own company and deal direct with sub prime lending institutes and income funds. This is a market I feel very strongly towards based on the recovering economies in the US and Canada. The number of people who are now considered "sub prime" in eyes of "prime" lending institutions is unreal. Prime banks are trying extremely hard to find reasons to say NO to consumers applying for credit right now and it seems more and more people need credit today. So who else do they have to turn to?? The sub prime lenders are in a perfect position right now at least in Canada as they are all reporting much lower delinquencies in the year of 2009 then the previous year and higher overall lending amounts. This could also be looked at as them off setting their delinquencies by lending more money but I personally don't think that is the case.

Thread Information