stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it

Those genes are gay.

Was doing some reading and came across this article. Seemed interesting so I figured I would share it with y'all.
    Have Scientists Found the 'Gay Gene'?
    Jul 15, 2010 9:31 AM EDT

The sex habits of mice have long been an intriguing subject for scientists. Now, mouse sex just got a lot more interesting for the rest of us.

A group of Korean geneticists has altered the sexual preferences of female mice by removing a single gene linked to reproductive behavior. Without the gene, the mice gravitated toward mice of the same sex. Those mice who retained the gene, called FucM, were attracted to male mice. (FucM is short for fucose mutarotase.)

The geneticists' study, published last week in the journal BMC Genetics explains that female mice without FucM avoided male mice, declined to sniff male urine, and made passes at other females.

Lead author Chankyu Park, of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea, says this shows the absence of FucM tricks female mouse brains into functioning like male brains. "The mutant female mouse underwent a slightly altered developmental program in the brain to resemble the male brain in terms of sexual preference," he told the London Telegraph.

Park said he now wants to research whether this finding has any relevance for humans.

The fact that he is in South Korea, where bioethics are notoriously bendable may prove important as he goes forward. Research that gets anywhere close to searching for a gay gene -- even with animals -- has been highly controversial in the U.S., where opposition cuts across the political spectrum. Some still remember a 1995 study where scientists from the National Institutes of Health performed a similar procedure on male fruit flies, yielding what one journalist called "all-male conga lines." (For the record, the male flies became bisexual, not strictly gay.)

Even in South Korea, though, Park admits he may have trouble recruiting human volunteers for the next leg of his research.

Mara Hvistendahl is writing Unnatural Selection, a book on reproductive technology, sex selection, and gender imbalance.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    does this include gerbeau jeans? 'cause i always thought those were gay

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    lol at the gene name

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Was doing some reading and came across this article. Seemed interesting so I figured I would share it with y'all.
    Have Scientists Found the 'Gay Gene'?
    Jul 15, 2010 9:31 AM EDT

The sex habits of mice have long been an intriguing subject for scientists. Now, mouse sex just got a lot more interesting for the rest of us.

A group of Korean geneticists has altered the sexual preferences of female mice by removing a single gene linked to reproductive behavior. Without the gene, the mice gravitated toward mice of the same sex. Those mice who retained the gene, called FucM, were attracted to male mice. (FucM is short for fucose mutarotase.)

The geneticists' study, published last week in the journal BMC Genetics explains that female mice without FucM avoided male mice, declined to sniff male urine, and made passes at other females.

Lead author Chankyu Park, of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea, says this shows the absence of FucM tricks female mouse brains into functioning like male brains. "The mutant female mouse underwent a slightly altered developmental program in the brain to resemble the male brain in terms of sexual preference," he told the London Telegraph.

Park said he now wants to research whether this finding has any relevance for humans.

The fact that he is in South Korea, where bioethics are notoriously bendable may prove important as he goes forward. Research that gets anywhere close to searching for a gay gene -- even with animals -- has been highly controversial in the U.S., where opposition cuts across the political spectrum. Some still remember a 1995 study where scientists from the National Institutes of Health performed a similar procedure on male fruit flies, yielding what one journalist called "all-male conga lines." (For the record, the male flies became bisexual, not strictly gay.)

Even in South Korea, though, Park admits he may have trouble recruiting human volunteers for the next leg of his research.

Mara Hvistendahl is writing Unnatural Selection, a book on reproductive technology, sex selection, and gender imbalance.
    This is exactly the reason I didn't get the H1N1 flu shot. I don't trust the government to experiment on us unknowingly!

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    FucM gene? LOL

wow, what a name for the gay gene.

may as well call it FukEm...

either way, if there was a pill or gene therapy i could undergo that would actually make me TRULY straight - i'd be first in line.

I wouldn't just go with a woman now and pretend to be something i'm not - but if there was a legit cure - i'd happily take it.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

I stopped sniffing female urine at 16 which is ironically the time i had my first gay experience. Hmmmm

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    This is exactly the reason I didn't get the H1N1 flu shot. I don't trust the government to experiment on us unknowingly!
    You can't be serious?

... Unfortunately gene-manipulation therapy does not involve a single shot into your arm.

-VM

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian-Man View Post
    You can't be serious?

... Unfortunately gene-manipulation therapy does not involve a single shot into your arm.

-VM
    Me and serious don't go together. lol

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    Me and serious don't go together. lol
    ohh! lol. sorry man.

haha.. I was wondering if it was a joke or not myy bad..

-VM

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    The name of the gene is the best part. It will be interesting to see if they do human testing. I wonder if they are looking for straight volunteers to turn gay like with the test rats or the other way around? I don't see them finding a lot of openly gay people in Korea.

The name of the gene is the best part. It will be interesting to see if they do human testing. I wonder if they are looking for straight volunteers to turn gay like with the test rats or the other way around? I don't see them finding a lot of openly gay people in Korea.
    But they would in the Land Of Milk And Honey.

vanduhl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    FucM gene? LOL

wow, what a name for the gay gene.

may as well call it FukEm...

either way, if there was a pill or gene therapy i could undergo that would actually make me TRULY straight - i'd be first in line.

I wouldn't just go with a woman now and pretend to be something i'm not - but if there was a legit cure - i'd happily take it.
    x2...loll

Quote Originally Posted by vanduhl View Post
    x2...loll
    My Gawd do you guys realize what that would do to the straight gene pool adding that extra 10% back to it, when everyone already is fighting over the hot babes now? Besides that would leave only me and DSM. No fair!
    Last edited by Shol'va; 07-19-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    Removing the FukYu gene causes gayness? What happens when you add mass quantities of it? Do you just turn into one of those guys who has super high standards?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Removing the FukYu gene causes gayness? What happens when you add mass quantities of it? Do you just turn into one of those guys who has super high standards?
    My standards aren't super high, but I am pretty high when I have them.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian-Man View Post
    You can't be serious?

-VM
    He may be joking but I DON'T trust them with all these vaccines for other reasons. #1 I don't think they know 100% what they are doing and have read to many fatal and permanent side effects from flu shots.

Ive never had one, my kids have never either. I think it's best to build up a natural resistance to MOST colds/flu if possible.

That being said I don't think the days of Agent Orange testing is 100% behind us either.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    So all you need to do is slip a girl a little extra "Fuc M" and all good......lol

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

i hope it doesn't cost too much to do...still need money for gear afterwards.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Normally i'd be against this ...but since i'm married and no longer able to get the single ladies...I say FucM :P

Seriously though...who gives a f*ck...GO CURE CANCER!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    Normally i'd be against this ...but since i'm married and no longer able to get the single ladies...I say FucM :P

Seriously though...who gives a f*ck...GO CURE CANCER!
    koreans hate f4gs more than cancer

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Older lifter View Post
    So all you need to do is slip a girl a little extra "Fuc M" and all good......lol
    Just enough "Fuc M" to make her have a 3-some

Where can I get it and can I slip it in her diet soda? Just gotta make sure I remember which glass contains the "Fuc M"

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    koreans hate f4gs more than cancer
    Yeah.... they're not big smokers.....

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Just enough "Fuc M" to make her have a 3-some

Where can I get it and can I slip it in her diet soda? Just gotta make sure I remember which glass contains the "Fuc M"

~Haz~
    Lmao,, yeah if you get that wrong you could be in big trouble....

Quote Originally Posted by Older lifter View Post
    Lmao,, yeah if you get that wrong you could be in big trouble....
    I'd hafta grow a wicked mustache and chase nicotine around the table

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I'd hafta grow a wicked mustache and chase nicotine around the table

~Haz~
    Is that called having a nicotine fit?

Is that called having a nicotine fit?
    LMFAO!

I just busted out laughing lol.... nice one!

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

Thread Information