Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!

Cool Hammerstrength Bench Press

Does anyone else ever do this to change up their chest training? I train every bodypart 3x a week. So when we speak of chest training, It seems like I have the most variety of completely different workouts. So on day 1 of chest I will do Barbell Bench Press, then Incline Barbell Bench Press, Weighted Dips, and finish with Cable Crossovers. On Day two of Chest, I will Do Smith Machine Bench press (Would use dumbbells but my gym only goes to 100 lbs and its not heavy enough), then I do Dumbbell Incline Press, then Dumbbell Flies, and finish with Dumbbell Pullovers. On my 3rd chest day, I will use all Hammerstrength. I used to start with regular bench, then go to hammerstrength stuff, but today for the first time I started with Hammerstrength bench press, then Hammerstrength Incline Press, then Hammerstrength Decline Press, and finish with Cable Crossovers.

Now because there are so many Hammerstrength Machines out there, people seem to mislabel them and get them confused. This video is of the exact Hammerstrength Flat Bench Press that I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alpRYKhlD4Y

Now Today I did this for the first time, and I have to say, i was impressed with my own strength. I mean, it is working on a pivot, but, you get a very deep range of motion, and each arm works independantly, so its not too easy.

Today I was working up in weight to see what I could get to. I ended up with 4 plates on each side, a 10 lbs plate on each side, and a 2.5 lbs plate on each side, and the machine says that the unloaded machine has an empty weight of 18 lbs. So that is 403 lbs total, and i was able to do this for two reps, full range of motion, good form, steady pace.

I was imressed, but then I thought "I wonder what the guys on Steroid .com are doing?"
    Is this actually a good weight to do? Is it actually not that big of a deal? Or do you not care either way because you think hammerstrength is stupid? lol

Let me know.

I personally love using hammerstength, Dumbbells, and barbells on a rotation, each one seems to benefit the others.

And just as a note, I do use a full range of motion, not this guys half range of motion.
    Last edited by Skyler; 07-21-2010 at 06:21 PM.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i love some of the hammer strenght machines. As well i should i used to work for them. THe weight on a hammer strenght machine doesnt translate to what you can do free weight wise

Oh i know it doesn't translate, I am not one of those douches that thinks if i use a hammerstrength, or smith machine, or any type of machine, its the same as free weight. My one rep max on Barbell Bench Press is 365.

deuce24 is offline New Member
    I throw them in once in a while to change things up

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    yah, every 2nd workout I use the hammer incline and do sets up to 4 plates by 6-8 reps. I dont use the hammer machine for flat bench, actually I dont think I do anything on flat bench

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    dammit man, each bodypart 3x a week....

i would need a fvking coffin...

Yeah, I am on an AM/PM schedule 6 days a week

stpete is offline Banned
    If you train every bp 3 x a week then you overtrain plain and simple! I like Hammer Strength myself; i can go heavy without a partner. I also like the Smith Machine because of the ROM and no partner required. Plus, you can burn your chest pretty good on it.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    yeah man thts serious overtraining, seriousily, you'd gain more on once a week

vanduhl is offline Senior Member
    youre gonna hurt urself Sky!!!!!....tone it down man...u need r&r for ur muscles !...ur not getting the full potential of gains and only hurting yourself by working out on that schedule bro

Oh I have been on a every body part once a week aproach since march. That is how I was brought up to train. But I just started this routine, going to try it for a few weeks and see what happens.
    Here is my thought process.
    I am not a huge Arnold fan, let me just get that out there. I don't dislike him, I just hate it when he is given more credit than he is due.
    Anyway, my sister loaned me the Enyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.
    DON'T WORRY
    I don't buy into all of it, it is obvious there is out dated info in there.
    But I started thinking about a few things.
    Arnold, Franco, Katz, Ferrigno, etc... All the old school bodybuilders basically trained on the principles that were outlined in that book. He recomends training each part 3x a week.
    Well, here is my thinking...
    They all trained this way... They all saw results... They actually had legendary physiques, and most of those physiques were attained by the time these guys were in their early to mid 20's... They didn't have all the fancy supplements we have now, and though they did steroids , they didn't have the variety available we do now, and didn't use such high doses..... Basically they just ate real food, used very simple cycles, and trained each part 3x a week, and look where they ended up by the age of 20-25....
    Then i started thinking about how everyone calls that overtraining, and says it does more damage than good, even though it worked for an entire generation of bodybuilders....
    While thinking of overtraining, I realized that even today, all the best bodybuilders with the most impressive physiques follow a routine that would traditionally be called "overtraining", yet they are the ones making all the best results...
    For example, Ronnie Coleman loved to train each bodypart twice a week, and pretty intense each time. And he is, well, He is Ronnie Coleman, enough said....
    Some people then say "well the old lifters still overtrained, because today people do less, and they are bigger than ever".... True, but then age comes into play... Coleman, Cutler, Ruhl, etc etc etc, the names we are used to hearing are definately bigger than these old school lifters, but these guys are also almost 40, or are in their 40s, where as the old lifters they are being compared to were in their early to mid 20's. You compare any of todays pro's at the age of 20 to Arnold or any of the others at age 20, and the old lifters win.

Basically the thought process keeps going on like that. Popular arguements, then a fair opposition to that arguement.

Anyway.

I figured in the end, it wouldn't kill me to try it out for a couple weeks, if for no other reason than to shock my muscles and CNS.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Oh I have been on a every body part once a week aproach since march. That is how I was brought up to train. But I just started this routine, going to try it for a few weeks and see what happens.
    Here is my thought process.
    I am not a huge Arnold fan, let me just get that out there. I don't dislike him, I just hate it when he is given more credit than he is due.
    Anyway, my sister loaned me the Enyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.
    DON'T WORRY
    I don't buy into all of it, it is obvious there is out dated info in there.
    But I started thinking about a few things.
    Arnold, Franco, Katz, Ferrigno, etc... All the old school bodybuilders basically trained on the principles that were outlined in that book. He recomends training each part 3x a week.
    Well, here is my thinking...
    They all trained this way... They all saw results... They actually had legendary physiques, and most of those physiques were attained by the time these guys were in their early to mid 20's... They didn't have all the fancy supplements we have now, and though they did steroids , they didn't have the variety available we do now, and didn't use such high doses..... Basically they just ate real food, used very simple cycles, and trained each part 3x a week, and look where they ended up by the age of 20-25....
    Then i started thinking about how everyone calls that overtraining, and says it does more damage than good, even though it worked for an entire generation of bodybuilders....
    While thinking of overtraining, I realized that even today, all the best bodybuilders with the most impressive physiques follow a routine that would traditionally be called "overtraining", yet they are the ones making all the best results...
    For example, Ronnie Coleman loved to train each bodypart twice a week, and pretty intense each time. And he is, well, He is Ronnie Coleman, enough said....
    Some people then say "well the old lifters still overtrained, because today people do less, and they are bigger than ever".... True, but then age comes into play... Coleman, Cutler, Ruhl, etc etc etc, the names we are used to hearing are definately bigger than these old school lifters, but these guys are also almost 40, or are in their 40s, where as the old lifters they are being compared to were in their early to mid 20's. You compare any of todays pro's at the age of 20 to Arnold or any of the others at age 20, and the old lifters win.

Basically the thought process keeps going on like that. Popular arguements, then a fair opposition to that arguement.

Anyway.

I figured in the end, it wouldn't kill me to try it out for a couple weeks, if for no other reason than to shock my muscles and CNS.
    you'll shock that alright lol

no one knows what cycles the old timers took and id bet they werent particularily light, come on now, we all know you dont get that big on moderate cycles. you have take genetics into thought aswell, otherwise we'd all be that size.

tballz is offline Senior Member
    I love hammer strength machines. You can go to failure without a partner. Really tax the muscles.

I guess I meant moderate compared to todays pro's.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone else ever do this to change up their chest training?
    Yeah I have tendonitis in one elbow right now where the tricep connects. I am letting go of all tricep exercises to let this thing get better. My last chest workout was dumbbell flies flat incline and decline and bench machine (hotel gym). I want to do a similar workout but end with a wide grip bench which I have read makes the chest do the work and takes pressure off the triceps.

Today I was working up in weight to see what I could get to. I ended up with 4 plates on each side, a 10 lbs plate on each side, and a 2.5 lbs plate on each side, and the machine says that the unloaded machine has an empty weight of 18 lbs. So that is 403 lbs total, and i was able to do this for two reps, full range of motion, good form, steady pace.
    Very impressive dude. Last time I used hammerstrength bench I only went up to 3 plates each side for at least 8 reps I want to say I hit 12 but Id have to check my log book. My gym machine is the sitting one too so it might be easier for me. Hitting 4 plates on each side very strong especially at your weight class.

I was imressed, but then I thought "I wonder what the guys on Steroid .com are doing?"
    Is this actually a good weight to do? Is it actually not that big of a deal? Or do you not care either way because you think hammerstrength is stupid? lol

Let me know.

I personally love using hammerstength, Dumbbells, and barbells on a rotation, each one seems to benefit the others.

And just as a note, I do use a full range of motion, not this guys half range of motion.
    I'm impressed. I have an acquaintance not a friend mind you just an acquaintance who competes in bodybuilding. Last time I saw him in the gym he had me spot him on the hammerstrength machine seated version (wierd spot you have to put one foot on the seat and grab the weight peg with your hand). He competes at like 170 something or 180 something I forget not pro but one of the more amateur classes I guess (I don't know bbing competition very well) and he was doing 4 plates each side as many as he could which was probably a handful of reps.

I think full range of motion and the squeeze are crucial. Blood and Guts kind of turned my head inside out on what a good rep is. If Dorian can move sick weight and do perfect range of motion, squeeze, no momentum, go to failure, I mean thats my goal to lift like him when it makes sense with my body and the exercise. I used to get nothing out of flys. Now I stop during the movement to take the momentum out and I squeeze and feel the pump. Its like night and day on what the exercise does to you when you stop lifting to hit numbers like reps and weight and start lifting to tax your body. Thats something really changing my game lately.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I forgot one more thing. The guy who sometimes competes that I know had a rotator cuff injury. The hammerstrength machine is great if you have this injury he said and I also would agree with. I have the same injury but put up an aggressive rehabilitation program into my training and am actually coming back strong on it.

My chest is my best bodypart, and I credit that to wide grip bench. I always use wide grip with any pressing movement. It has worked great for my chest, but my triceps don't get enough of the workload, and they have suffered because of it. My worst bodypart has to be my triceps.

laduem88 is offline Senior Member
    iv never seen that kind before the only ones iv seen is where your sitting up and pressing out

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    There are a few different kinds.. laying down, sitting up bench, sitting up wide bench, which is one of my favority hammer strenghths.. I like the hammer strength as well and, although I haven't been on them in a couple months, I have to take 4-6 weeks off from heavy lifting so when I get back to it I'm going to get back on them for starters..

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Would be overtraining for me but maybe you will be fine. Just keep an eye on progress and understand the signs of overtraining.

These old timers used steroids and that's all you need to recover from working out mutli times a week.

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!

So, i did this overtraining method for like 8 days straight, then decided to take 4 days off from the gym, where i didn't do anything, just rest and recover....
    And guess what!?
    It worked great!
    I got over my sticking point on bench press!

I have been stuck at 365 on bench for awhile, and can't get past it, then, today, I do bench press for my first exercise on my first day back, and I got up to 385!
    I have been stuck at 500 on deadlift, and I am doing that as part of my back workout tomorrow.
    I will let you know how it goes!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Sky, what you weighing right now? Those are some serious #'s and I was guessing your tipping about 190-200 right now? I cant remember your height

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    If you train every bp 3 x a week then you overtrain plain and simple! I like Hammer Strength myself; i can go heavy without a partner. I also like the Smith Machine because of the ROM and no partner required. Plus, you can burn your chest pretty good on it.

yep over training..

here's an idea for ya, and one I use and use on my clients..

start your 1st 3 exercises using free weights, then finish with a high rep, lower weight (for mitochondria conditioning) on the machines, this will be safer as the rom will keep you from over working, or injuring the pre exhausted muscle..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

I am weighing 190-195 depending on if i what day I weigh in, morning or night, etc.
    And I am 5'10"

I am now back to my normal routine of every muscle once a week. And since it is only once a week, I do more for the muscle. I always start with free weights at moderate to low reps, and end with machines, cables, etc for higher reps with less rest between sets.

For example, my normal chest day looks like this:

Barbell Bench Press -
    Warm Up x 15 reps
    5 x 2-6 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press -
    Warm Up x 15
    4 x 2-6 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press -
    3 x 10-15 reps

Cable Crossovers -
    3 x 10-15 reps

*If I feel like I can go a bit more, I might do machine bench press for 2 sets of 20-25 reps*

Of course, I change this every week, like the next week I will start with incline instead of flat, or I will do Smith machine rather than free bench, or I will do dumbbell flies rather than cable crossovers, etc.

Thread Information