Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    C-MaN is offline Senior Member

working security at a night club

Ok so I just got the opportunity to work security at a club one of my buddys is the floor manager at. Ive never bounced before and thought it'd be a good way of getting some priceless stories. Going to be working the busy shift from 11-4 a.m. on friday and saturday. Any tips on defusing situations and guidelines on whether your allowed to throw a punch after someone has thrown one at you and so forth and so on. I know there's alot of senior members on here with experience in this stuff.

vanduhl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-MaN View Post
    Ok so I just got the opportunity to work security at a club one of my buddys is the floor manager at. Ive never bounced before and thought it'd be a good way of getting some priceless stories. Going to be working the busy shift from 11-4 a.m. on friday and saturday. Any tips on defusing situations and guidelines on whether your allowed to throw a punch after someone has thrown one at you and so forth and so on. I know there's alot of senior members on here with experience in this stuff.
    Keep your cool.

Use Common sense.

Remember that you will be sober and these people are all hammered.

Make a Friend in the process.

One of my buds thats like a brother to me told me to treat the person your handleing as if your trying to pull your brother out of a fight

vanduhl is offline Senior Member
    One of my buds thats like a brother to me told me to treat the person your handleing as if your trying to pull your brother out of a fight
    yeah, get him out, but get him out safely.

it it what you make it. Smile, be friendly and if shit escalates then go back to your buddies policy. get everyone out safe.

and use the experience and make a friend or two in the process (even if its only a friend for the night)

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    first rule, and I know this is going to sound weird coming from me, but act as though the aggressor is the superior one. The moment you confront someone without the actual intention of fighting you are working their ego. And drunk people have huge ego's.

Your best bet is to avoid fist fighting, you hurt your hands and you are risk of them really hurting you. Learn more "holds".. most of the bouncers I know like the full nelson type hold. The guys who just tend to grab the head or neck usually get elbowed in the nutz.

Not trying to scare ya bro, but in Edmonton we get a ton of doormen and security getting stabbed, so much so that our clubs gets stab vests. See if they have for you as well.

jesus lol.. well this is a frat boy type college club

Its not always bad, I worked some shifts when friends were short of staff. Sometimes its actually really cool. No shortage of hotties, hopefully the frat boys dont ruin everything with their obssessive drinking.

Dont mess with the Alpha gamma delta bitch ho slut douchebags... or whatever they're called. Then you have to knock out 10 of them.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    I bounce at Newark, probably the highest crime rate in NJ. Don't ever let anyone intimidate you. If they find weakness in you, thats when you (as the bouncer) are going to get injured. I looked at it like this: If someone has to get fvcked up at the end of the night, its either gonna be "you" or "me"....and its not gonna be me. Don't be a tough guy but don't take any shit.

Lifeguard102 is offline Associate Member

As far as defusing- don't let people get twisted . Guys and shots , girls and shots poured directly out of the bottle, girls on the bar . These people usually end up twisted and get in a fight.

Punches were not allowed ever in Pittsburgh but chokes were.

Nothing good ever happens after 1 am. the girls throw up and the guys fight.

your bar will know the rules. You'll post up and watch. don't talk to the girls until you have been accepted by the other guys. If you do you'll get fired.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I used to bounce, and the best part about it was the drunk chicks at the end of the night.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    I used to bounce, and the best part about it was the drunk chicks at the end of the night.

Enjoy!
    and he is reason enough to not fight... got to save your energy to be expended on more important matters

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    and he is reason enough to not fight... got to save your energy to be expended on more important matters
    hahaha...exactly!

I like the way you think!

One halloween back in '06 I was working a pub crawl for the friday-saturday shift. Went to 4 bars a night (6 different ones) and I ended up breaking 3 of those punching machines... no fights those nights

dangerous dan is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    One halloween back in '06 I was working a pub crawl for the friday-saturday shift. Went to 4 bars a night (6 different ones) and I ended up breaking 3 of those punching machines... no fights those nights
    Those things cause 90% of fights round my neck of the woods

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    i do this 5 days a week 8-10hr shifts. depends on the law where your from, we can only strike if they strike first.

rem ppl are drunk and slower to think because of it
    try to stay cool
    drunk ppl give away their intentions very blatantly, ive never been hit yet.
    dont walk in2 a situation your not totally comfortable with handling yourself, call back up
    expect the unexpected
    99% of comeback threats are bullshit
    be polite, you never know who you are talking to
    and if it comes to it, take downs and headlocks are your best option, unless you fancy explaining punches in court which tend to frown on it, rem the rest of the club witnesses will never back you
    Last edited by dec11; 08-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    I bounce at Newark, probably the highest crime rate in NJ. Don't ever let anyone intimidate you. If they find weakness in you, thats when you (as the bouncer) are going to get injured. I looked at it like this: If someone has to get fvcked up at the end of the night, its either gonna be "you" or "me"....and its not gonna be me. Don't be a tough guy but don't take any shit.
    good words, alot of the time the dog tht barks loudest wins before it even starts

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    i do this 5 days a week 8-10hr shifts. depends on the law where your from, we can only strike if they strike first.

rem ppl are drunk and slower to think because of it
    try to stay cool
    drunk ppl give away their intentions very blatantly, ive never been hit yet.
    dont walk in2 a situation your not totally comfortable with handling yourself, call back up
    expect the unexpected
    99% of comeback threats are bullshit
    be polite, you never know who you are talking to
    and if it comes to it, take downs and headlocks are your best option, unless you fancy explaining punches in court which tend to frown on it, rem the rest of the club witnesses will never back you
    bingo

digismash is offline Associate Member
    I used to bounce, the best advice I can give is:

give respect, but dont be soft

most people youre going to have to deal with will be drunk, so learn moves to get them off balance, their usually very easy to deal with, since you should be sober

and D7M is correct, enjoy those drunk chics lol

good luck!

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Here is a great tip that someone taught me. If you need to throw a guy out for something other than fighting (underage, too drunk, smacking a girls ass, etc....) approach him and say "hey buddy I need to talk to you outside for a minute."

Then when he steps outside, say nicely "Listen you can't come back in."

You will avoid a lot of confrontation doing that. He may try to act tough in the bar when you try throwing him out, but when its you and him outside alone, 95% of the time, he won't do jack shit.

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    Everyone talks shit, especially when they drink, so don't base what's going to happen on who is talking shit or what they are saying...

99.99% of the time the people that actually end up trying to fight the bouncers or the little guys. Its always the small guys that feel they have something to prove, and will do something. Luckily, when it comes down to it, they are still little guys, AND they are drunk, so they are easy to deal with.

If you have to "hurt" someone, learn how to stop them/drop them quick and in a "hidden" way. If you punch them you have a good chance of getting in alot of trouble in the end. If you try to grab or hold them, you aren't actually doing enough damage, so they feel like they still have a chance, and won't give up until you hurt them.
    One good example of dropping them without anyone being able to tell what actually happened is to go for the side of the throat. Grab them by the collar or shoulders of their shirt, and while attempting to "move/shove/toss" them (which they will resist ofcourse) the stiff side of your forearm may "accidently" move foreward and slap against the side of their throat, which will knock them out, or at the very least stun them for a few seconds to a minute.

Have fun.

Blog Entries
    someone who has combined cocaine and alcohol will give you a battle no matter what size, they just dont give up, i was afew mil off breaking an arm on one occasion, the b@stard didnt even feel it, had to pin and sit on the idiot till he got arrested

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Are there bouncer job postings on sites? Or is it more of a walk in type thing?

Thanks for all the help guys.. All good info. And the drunk girls is definitely a perk. Especially it's a college bar and they are known for having the best looking crowd come into the place.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Have you done the security guard training??

Or is it different in the US?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Are there bouncer job postings on sites? Or is it more of a walk in type thing?
    here, they are sub contracted by security companies which advertise locally for the doormen, you dont work directly for the premises

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    Make sure everyone is paired up as well. I did bouncing as well and even though I was only 175 at the time I had my martial arts background to back me up. However it sometimes wasn't enough if you get gained up on. I had a chair broken on my back before while dealing with someone else so it is always good to be paired up(I never was).

I can remember a time when it was the 23rd December and I was bar tending at the time since we had hired bouncers. Well unfortually the bouncers got into a disagreement and ended up buggering off. This left only me bouncing the club with over 300 people in there(the limit was some 250). The police came just before I was going to go and get the place shut down and told me that they are comming back with more due to we were over crowded(people where even jumping the deck to get in; doors were locked). We were going to get fined and shut down for a couple weeks till a system was in place.I convinced one of the officers(did martial arts with me for years) that it would be better to close off the exits and get everyone who tryed to leave. The officers then left and we informed we are shutting the bar down(this was at 1:00ish). Beer bottles and glasses all got smashed on the floor which took the whole staff with shovels to clean it up afterwards for 2 hours. Once the place was shut down the police closed off all exits leaving from the bar and stopped everyone who went through. Even the ones that tried to sneak by. It was a crap show! If it wasn't for me knowing one of the cops we should have had to pay a huge fine and be shut down at the same time. The next day both the bouncers came back wanting there money for bouncing. HAHA what a bunch of crock(they didn't get a cent).

I have many more stories but moral of the story "be in control"! Once control is lost then all hell can break loose.

Neevor is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post

Enjoy!
    Absolutely! I completely agree with this. If you're at the front door you can hit on drunk slutty sluts while they smoke. i used to park my motorcycle by the front door so I could take a break and take a chick for a ride here and there. Then back to my place after close for another ride. Good times.

I did it for a year and one night I broke up like 3 fights and ejected like 10 dudes and every time they were bein ass holes and finally we were closing and this little skinny punk started getting in my face. After all that crap that had already happened I was full of testosterone and I picked him up and threw him through the door (he literally was like 150lbs and he flew maybe 10 feet) and into the street and right then for a split second I thought "dear god, what if he hits his head and dies?" He got up and threw his empty drink cup at me which he had somehow managed to hang onto in the process so it was just kinda funny but I quit the next day.

Blog Entries
    here, they are sub contracted by security companies which advertise locally for the doormen, you dont work directly for the premises
    where is here?

I did a quick search on craigslist for shits and giggles and didn't find anything.

Atleast in texas the premises hires the security. No security training here but I boxed growing up for about 6 years. I was talking to my friend who got me the job and he said there has only been one instance where it got out of hand and one of the bouncers got knocked the fvck out by a customer. He said the customer didnt walk out after that.... he had to be carried out on a stretcher. ( accidently fell and hit his head) lol

Blog Entries
    man... I wanna be a bouncer now

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    Quote Originally Posted by vanduhl View Post
    Keep your cool.

Use Common sense.

Remember that you will be sober and these people are all hammered.

Make a Friend in the process.
    yes
    yes
    yes
    and yes

also always keep in mind some your life isnt worth 12$/hr!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    where is here?

I did a quick search on craigslist for shits and giggles and didn't find anything.
    ireland mate, and the UK is the same. some places have in house staff but very few

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    someone who has combined cocaine and alcohol will give you a battle no matter what size, they just dont give up, i was afew mil off breaking an arm on one occasion, the b@stard didnt even feel it, had to pin and sit on the idiot till he got arrested
    yeh that was me, sorry bro, but you had a soft ass.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member

Stopping dudes on speed was always fun....knock them out...and the fvckers are back up and ready to go in 10 seconds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    yeh that was me, sorry bro, but you had a soft ass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    Stopping dudes on speed was always fun....knock them out...and the fvckers are back up and ready to go in 10 seconds.
    yeah mate, the whacked out geezers are a diff ball game, ALWAYS have to restrain em and wait for cops, they just dont give up

yeah mate, the whacked out geezers are a diff ball game, ALWAYS have to restrain em and wait for cops, they just dont give up
    you talking about those older guys who think they need to show the younger guys they are tough?

foxycce is offline New Member
    Done the doors for ten years my motto is "Firm but Fair" and if it does come down to a huge kick off or a row then dont start throwing punches, twist them up, put them in to locks, choke them out or if need be snap dem bones! last 2 parts as a last resort but when a wrist has been snapped or fingers broken the best of them just want to get the hell away from the area1 but make sure you are with a good team and that you all have each others back

Quote Originally Posted by foxycce View Post
    Done the doors for ten years my motto is "Firm but Fair" and if it does come down to a huge kick off or a row then dont start throwing punches, twist them up, put them in to locks, choke them out or if need be snap dem bones! last 2 parts as a last resort but when a wrist has been snapped or fingers broken the best of them just want to get the hell away from the area1 but make sure you are with a good team and that you all have each others back
    cant stress this enough... you have to trust your boys or you can expect a bottle to the back of the head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information