lil_herc81 is offline Member

Anyone ran a turbo on a 328i by any chance?

Im about to invest in a turbo or an LS1 for my 3 series. I would prefer the turbo for ease of installation but I want opinions from people who may have or have had this application. I want to know if the HP/performance gain is worth the coin?

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I had a friend with a turbo E36 M3 and it was a hardcore piece of shit. It was slow (relatively) and broke down ALL the time. It was built by Active Autowerke (he worked there).

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Everything can be done wrong. I have a friend running a single turbo 328i in his E30 and he is putting down about 290whp for over 2 years now. If you are looking for big numbers, go LS1. But for the 2500lbs his car weighs, his is plenty fast. Turbo is less work too. Once the turbo system is installed, you just run either a simple piggyback or go AEM standalone for less than $2G.

BrysZ is offline Associate Member
    I have a 300ZX Twin Turbo with upgraded aftermarket turbos. I have been on the forced injection scene for about ten years. I love turbos for the fact they are taking a bi-product (exhaust) and turning that wasted energy into power. However turbos are very problematic and need to be carefully installed and maintained. I haveno problems with my Z I boost at anywhere from 15 - 18 psi and I am pushing about 400hp at the wheels. I am very careful to cool the turbos down after every ride (turbo timer) and I use only the highest quality synthetic oil and change that about every 1500 miles. To be honest power from a turbo car is not anywhere the same as from a naturally aspirated car....there is lag which means if you punched the gas you wont reap the benefits of the turbo unitl about 3500 - 4500 rpm so unless you dump the clutch you wont hit full boost for about 50 - 100 feet from your launch point. A big V8 NA has huge torque advantages, no turbo lag, and no turbo headaches...its preference...not to mention you can build a huge NA motor way cheaper than a blown one...just my opinion thats all.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i'll take a procharger over a turbo myself but they're not cheap

Really depends what your goals for the car are going to be? You racing, showing etc?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    goto the bimmer forums. there a few turbo cars on there

and i've thought of doing it. Especially now since my 330 is in the shop getting a new motor

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    any modded bm's ive seen over this part of the world are supercharged rather than turbo'd, dont know why the preference though

lil_herc81 is offline Member
    The preference is lag, turbos have lag and superchargers are constant. My car is a more for show but I do enjoy to play. I have been contemplating the LS1 swap but cant find all the details on the conversion to begin buying parts or prepping for cost. And the bimmer forums really suck! I hate most of those A$$ clowns.

Brewster is offline Member
    yes,
    I used to have a BMW and anytime I needed something bimmerforums

You've got an I6 in there, a 2jzgte will fit =)... problem solved, just add more boost

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_herc81 View Post
    The preference is lag, turbos have lag and superchargers are constant. My car is a more for show but I do enjoy to play. I have been contemplating the LS1 swap but cant find all the details on the conversion to begin buying parts or prepping for cost. And the bimmer forums really suck! I hate most of those A$$ clowns.
    yeah i know about the lag thing, what i mean is all german cars seem to be supercharged rather than turbo'd, by enthusiasts over here. anyother car will usually be done up with a turbo

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    The BMW 3 series coupes made after 2007 all have a 300hp twin turbo stock. I just found that out a little while ago and my jaw dropped to the floor when I did.

They run right along with M3's speed wise. The new 1 series also has that engine and is probably faster with it being smaller. Only problem is all the people that buy them new get automatics like losers.

I have not seen many turbo add ons on BMW's, just superchargers for the most part. I would prefer that anyway on a naturally aspirated car from a factory that did not already have a turbo.

But my next "fast" car will no doubt be a 07 or later 3 coupe, the possibilities with that engine are probably ENDLESS!!! It already runs low 13's stock, a few simple upgrades and you can probably get it in the 12's. A turbo upgrade???? Holy shit who knows.
    Last edited by bigslick7878; 11-20-2010 at 01:14 PM.

binsser is offline Senior Member
    Its been done and works fine unless u steel the bottom end i just run it at about 12-14 psi for reliability but they are a strong engine might be worth steeling the head gasket as well because the pressure could blow it out!

its any bmw with the 35 motor. 135, 335 they are twin turbo 3.0. and no the 335 turbo is no where close to an m3

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    My good buddy and I have been doing some upgrades this fall/winter on his 2003 C5 vette. We forged the bottom end and swapped in some Denali heads (317) with a mild port and polish. Cam that likes boost. It just put down 630 Rwhp and 580ish on torgue at 12 PSI and 9.5-1 compression with my new heads, all on a D1sc procharger and only 28* of timing. Doing an E85 tune now and so far we have made upwards of 14 psi of boost and really pushed the timing, we made 690 but have another day or so of tuning. His goal on pump gas was right at 650ish. On E85 we should be in the 750HP range according to our tuner. The tuner thinks that the pump gas tune has a ways to go to. I am going to do an F1A procharged Ls2 408 starting in March I hope. Should be in the 800 HP range on pump gas I am also hoping.

So my point is, LS1's love boost and make tons of power...LOL
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Im about to invest in a turbo or an LS1 for my 3 series. I would prefer the turbo for ease of installation but I want opinions from people who may have or have had this application. I want to know if the HP/performance gain is worth the coin?
    http://www.mazdarotary.net/queenstbmw.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1782B6RZw
    Just go with twin turbo quad rotor

Seriously though turbo would be the best for you IMO, I have had a few over the years. Can't fault them, never had the so called turbo problems. Keep it tuned properly, leave the boost alone for each tune you get. Don't get carried away with massive turbo either. GT35/40 roller bearing would be ideal for the street.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Current guise of above quad rotor BMW ^^^
    http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...-drag-car.aspx
    Can you say way to mch F^%$en money

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    its any bmw with the 35 motor. 135, 335 they are twin turbo 3.0. and no the 335 turbo is no where close to an m3
    The brand new M3's will smoke it with the monster V8, but the 2006 and earlier ones won't. That is what I was referring to.

2006 and earlier run low 13's stock, 2007 3 series manual with the twin turbo can do that.

I would rather have the turbo anyway.

MrGreen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    You've got an I6 in there, a 2jzgte will fit =)... problem solved, just add more boost

There you go! LOL Many supra's running around making 700+ hp.

As for your question yes I have ran them and destroyed them in my daily drive. LOL 03 cobra with minor bolt ons.

There is a complete build thread of an LS1 swap in a 3 series on cornercarvers.com which is very detailed. I would run a fast or big stuff system if you are going to run a turbo motor but thats just my preference. I have built several high hp turbo cars and always enjoyed them.

Turbo lag is not necessarily always an issue especially on v8 cars. With the proper A/R housing (exhaust housing on the turbo) and right size turbo you can make lag very close to none existent. 90% of the time if the turbo came into full boost instantly you would never get traction. My cobra with a root blower will blow the tires off instantly in anything under 50 mph given I am high in the rpms. Turbos on the other hand can be regulated and the complete system can be built to minimize this problem. Not to mention boost controllers can play a vital role in helping with traction.

David Wolfe runs constant 4.4X's in the 1/8 miles on drag radials using a turbo and an AMS1000 boost controller.

Turbos have come a LONG way and now are dominating the racing scene. Most sanctioned bodies of drag racing require turbo cars to weigh more then anything else in the field. example a small block turbo car must weigh as much as a big block nitrous car in a local racing organization.

Thread Information