stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it

Innocent man serves 30 years in Texas prison

A Texas man imprisoned 30 years ago on rape and murder charges had his conviction overturned on Tuesday after DNA evidence exonerated him.

Dallas County Judge Don Adams overturned Cornelius Dupree Jr.’s conviction Tuesday, clearing his name officially.

“It’s a joy to be free,” Dupree, 51, said outside court.

Dupree has served more years in a Texas prison for a crime he did not commit than anyone else in the state who was later exonerated by DNA evidence. Only two other people exonerated by DNA have spent more time in prison in the entire country, the Innocence Project said. Texas has freed 41 wrongly convicted prisoners because of DNA testing since 2001, more than any other state.

Dupree told CNN after becoming a free man that he had “mixed emotions” about the hearing considering how long he had been incarcerated.

“I must admit there is a bit of anger, but there is also joy, and the joy overrides the anger,” he told CNN. “I’m just so overwhelmed with the joy of being free.”

The judge’s decision followed comments from Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins, who said the DNA testing shows Dupree “did not commit this crime.”

Dupree is trying not to be too angry, despite having 30 years of his life taken away.

“I think that could have happened to anyone,” he told CNN. “It’s just unfortunate that it happened to me. The system needs to be corrected somehow.”

That system he refers to includes Dallas specifically, where a record 21 people have been exonerated on DNA evidence, and Texas as a whole.

“Cornelius Dupree spent the prime of his life behind bars because of mistaken identification that probably would have been avoided if the best practices now used in Dallas had been employed,” Barry Scheck, co-director of the Innocence Project, said in a press release. “Let us never forget that, as in the heartbreaking case of Cornelius Dupree, a staggering 75% of wrongful convictions of people later cleared by DNA evidence resulted from misidentifications.”

Nina Morrison, senior staff attorney at the Innocence Project, told CNN “an enormous number” of the wrongly accused people convicted in Dallas and around the country were convicted on the basis of mistaken witness identification.

But she said that big improvements in those procedures have been made “so that what happened to Mr. Dupree doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

Morrison attributed Dupree’s exoneration also to the work of the district attorney who has been examining previous convictions closely — and to Dallas County’s saving of evidence.

“Dallas has been a leader in saving evidence,” she said, noting that even though the policy was evidence had to be saved from cases from 1981 and later, evidence from Dupree’s case in 1979 still existed.

“So it was something of a small miracle” that it was preserved, she said.

Watkins, the district attorney, said there were really no standards in place about how to keep evidence, but when he came into office he made it his job to do whatever he could to “not just to seek convictions but to seek justice.”

“We created a unit that specifically looked at claims of innocence,” he said. “And unfortunately it shows people who made those claims were truly innocent.”

Watkins works with Morrison and others at the Innocence Project now, hoping to right wrongs from the past, and bring trust back to a system that has been brought into question.

“It gives us credibility now,” he said. “[Residents] actually believe in what we’re doing, that we’re here not just to seek convictions but to seek justice and seek the truth.”

Dupree was paroled six months ago after DNA tests results came back. He was declared innocent on Monday, the Innocence Project said.

Dupree was accused of being one of two men who forced a 26-year-old woman and another male into a car at gunpoint in 1979, forcing them to drive the car and robbing them in the process, according to court documents. The two men also were accused of raping the female, court documents said.

The female initially identified Dupree from a photo line-up, but the male was unable to do so, according to court documents. At trial, however, both victims said Dupree and his co-defendant Anthony Massingill were the ones who committed the crime. They were convicted, and Dupree was sentenced to 75 years. Massingill, who is also serving time for a separate rape charge, is expected to also have his conviction set aside, the Innocence Project said.

Dupree has been fighting for his innocence since the day he was arrested, and for years following his conviction claiming he was mistakenly identified as the suspect. The Court of Criminal Appeals turned him down three times.

“Mistaken identification has always plagued the criminal justice system, but great strides have been made in the last three decades to understand the problem and come up with fixes like those being considered by the state Legislature that help minimize wrongful convictions,” Morrison said in a press release. “We hope state lawmakers take note of the terrible miscarriage of justice suffered by Cornelius. When the wrong person is convicted of a crime, the real perpetrator goes free, harming everyone.”

A.B
    A.B is offline New Member
    I know it would be impossible for me to take the no anger approach

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    Ok without reading all of that, will he be financially compensated for the 30 yrs he lost of his life?

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    They typically are compesated pretty well.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    if I was in jail for 30 years and being innocent, i would be asking for millions

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    he went in 21 and came back 51.....wow poor fella.

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    30 years....wow. Shiat changes so fast in this world...can't imagine blending into the masses afterwards!

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by D3m3nt3d View Post
    Ok without reading all of that, will he be financially compensated for the 30 yrs he lost of his life?

"Under Texas compensation laws for the wrongly imprisoned, Dupree is eligible for $80,000 for each year he was behind bars, plus a lifetime annuity. He could receive $2.4 million in a lump sum that is not subject to federal income tax."

This is an excerpt from another article I read about him. $2.4 mil isn't too bad, but it's not all that great either. Putting a price tag on stealing a year of a man's life is ridiculous.... let alone an $80,000 one. And apparently that's the largest amount of any state.

I agree JDawg....all that money still won't get you your 30 years back!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Free prison grill cheese sandwiches for life.

Lmao^^^^^

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to be locked up knowing your innocent.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    There's a lot of things i would do for money but giving up 30 years for 2.4 mil wouldn't be worth it. I would go nuts knowing I was innocent.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    80,000 per year....you got to be kidding!

A bit more then lost income should be accounted for when compensation is given.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    they do in the british system. The Guilford Four (accused and convicted as IRA bombers), being most notable. they received in the region of 400k for 15yrs wrongful imprisonment

coonhunter is offline Member
    I wouldnt choose to do a year in prison for 2.4 mil let alone 30. Its not just about the lost income its about all the life you lose. You dont get to raise a family or have any of the life experiences we take for granted and you cannot put a price on those at all.

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    No kidding what about the house/wife/kids/vehicles not to mention the life you have made by that age being able to look back and reminisque or however u spell that word were you talk of old times....

I am 22, I would hate to be in my 50's and only have 22 n earlier to talk about aside from prison life...

Public Enemy is offline Associate Member
    “It’s a joy to be free,” Dupree,
    “I think that could have happened to anyone,” he told CNN. “It’s just unfortunate that it happened to me. The system needs to be corrected somehow.”

I'm sorry but this guy was 21 when he was arrested, and for him to stay calm like this after 30 years of wasting his life, he cannot possibly be mentally aware of what he had lost. He lost making a family, making friends, making a home, making a life.. etc. I believe there is no price tag on all he has lost. Not to mention that he probably lost a lot of people he wanted to be there for while he was in jail. Tragic

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Public Enemy View Post
    “It’s a joy to be free,” Dupree,

I'm sorry but this guy was 21 when he was arrested, and for him to stay calm like this after 30 years of wasting his life, he cannot possibly be mentally aware of what he had lost. He lost making a family, making friends, making a home, making a life.. etc. I believe there is no price tag on all he has lost. Not to mention that he probably lost a lot of people he wanted to be there for while he was in jail. Tragic
    If you begin to dwell too much in the past it will drive you crazy. At some point you have to realize, ok i got the short end of the stick but there is only one way to go from here and that is forward. There is nothing that can be done to get those years back so why be so mad at it ? I think he is being very rational in his thinking.

savking is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    If you begin to dwell too much in the past it will drive you crazy. At some point you have to realize, ok i got the short end of the stick but there is only one way to go from here and that is forward. There is nothing that can be done to get those years back so why be so mad at it ? I think he is being very rational in his thinking.
    I agree, he must be a strong character to take that train of thought. I find myself living in the past, thinking about missed opportunities and people i miss all the time! I cant even move on from that! nevermind having the prime of your life stolen!

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    easier said than done

Public Enemy is offline Associate Member
    ^ x2.

@ DSM: I agree that if he looked back all the time he would ruin the future but this is 30 years gone and his life is basically cut short. Honestly speaking, I hope I nor any innocent person lives through something like that and its actually foolish for me and others to say how they would react to this but I agree with "easier said then done" regarding those who say he should/can get over it, to say the least that is.
    Last edited by Public Enemy; 01-05-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I read this last night and he is getting squat from the state in compensation. 25k for being incarcerated and another 90k for time he has lost being imprisoned. That is rediculous.

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    I read this last night and he is getting squat from the state in compensation. 25k for being incarcerated and another 90k for time he has lost being imprisoned. That is rediculous.

OUCH!!! that's it?!?!?! Did they at least use some KY b4 giving him that?

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I know right. What a crock.

Thread Information