Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walmart...

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    One of the largest early casualties of Walmart in America.

Phosphor is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    The entire system is about CHOICE.[/B]
    I would have quoted everything, since I wholly agree with your statements, but no reason to. To be on topic, when my dad was in the sheet metal / tin knocker union as a foreman (and higher), I remember him telling me that when the union would sign the agreements to start a new project in Boston (and elsewhere, building skyscrapers at times) they would have a a huge compensation figure paid up front for insurance to the union and they would base it off of a minimum of 3 deaths per construction site. This 'insurance' is more widespread than some may think, since this was in the 80's and early 90's when I was told.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    You have the right to vote with your dollars. Don't like something that a company does? Don't give them your money. That is the best part about capitalistic/democratic societies, and more particularly in a system such as ours, a Republic of states. You dont like a company and their business practices? Vote with your dollars. You dont like the high property taxes, arcane laws, or other practices of a particular state in the US? There are 49 other ones, vote with your feet! You dont like a particular leader of said state or the entire country? Vote every 2,4, or 6 years (Congressman, President, Senate).

The entire system is about CHOICE. We live in a society which is driven by that simple word. Choice determines everything, choice means personal accountability for ones self. I don't really want to get partisan, but Conservative/Tea Party/Libertarian Republicans like myself, believe that freedom of choice, less laws and not more, less government and not more, is the answer to many of the problems plaguing our country today.

Democracy and capitalism often go hand in hand. I do not agree that Democracy/Capitalism are perfect, in fact FAR FROM IT. I have a plethora of problems with the system that I could write a dissertation on (and in fact have written a thesis on one problem with our system of governance). My personal feelings can be summed up perfectly by Winston Churchill, former PM of the United Kingdom.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." (from a House of Commons speech on Nov. 11, 1947)
    It would be nice if the Republican party was more in line with libertarian views. They really like to talk about being thrifty and shrinking the government, but don't actually plan on backing the shit they talk.

As far as the Tea Party goes, those naive fiscal extremists are, well, just that.

swllce is offline Associate Member
    Has anyone thought about the changes in infrastructure walmart imposes on the us.
    Nevermind the economic impact and the choice of processed foods they will feed us.
    We will no longer have town centers with hardware stores ,shops ,candystores,etc.
    Are we content with hopping in our pickup truck to go to a million sq foot superstore for a gallon of milk?
    For intsance in Denmark, zoning laws prevent superstores from setting up shop to close to towns and cities.
    The longterm effects of superstores could shut down all local buisness thus impacting tourism and tax revenues.
    Stop looking at the rollbacks and think of the impact this giant unionbusting,,, greedy, mega store will impact our future.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    man did i open a can of worms hyere

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Insane. Walmart will run the world eventually. They knocked down Microsoft I'm surprised they haven't started in on walmart yet.
    mark my words. walmart too shall crumble some day...

I imagine they will somehow over extend, debt ridden, something will happen with the economy again, and they will run into trouble....

nothing lasts forever

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Used to get my groceries at Wal-Mart until I discovered Market Basket. I hardly get anything from there now except money orders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information