Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Looking to buy a Cruiser

I'm looking to buy a cruiser and it will be my first motorcycle.

I have seen a few I like but im unsure of what i should get. I know to start smaller, I just want to make sure smaller can carry me at 6'3 275 and still give me what i want out of it.

So what do you guys ride? Any recommendations?

Trimaxis210 is offline New Member
    If you are going Japanese I would suggest taking a look at the Honda Shadow 1100. Great all around cruiser that is extremely reliable and also economical. Decent power for the size and weight and looks great, tons of cheap aftermarket pipes etc. You could def buy a good used one for between $4-7 thousand. Check the reviews online they say good things. I'm a sport touring / crotch rocket guy myself but have rode a couple of these bikes. If the 1100 seems to big they also make a 750 version, but at 275 I would stick with the 1100. Best of luck!

grumpee is offline Associate Member
    6'3" 275 pounds ? wow

Quote Originally Posted by Trimaxis210 View Post
    If you are going Japanese I would suggest taking a look at the Honda Shadow 1100. Great all around cruiser that is extremely reliable and also economical. Decent power for the size and weight and looks great, tons of cheap aftermarket pipes etc. You could def buy a good used one for between $4-7 thousand. Check the reviews online they say good things. I'm a sport touring / crotch rocket guy myself but have rode a couple of these bikes. If the 1100 seems to big they also make a 750 version, but at 275 I would stick with the 1100. Best of luck!
    Thats one I have been looking at. I really like the size of them. I also looked at some M50s and C50s but not sure if 800cc will be enough

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    What are you looking to spend?

Not looking to go broke on a Harley. Probably no more than 7500. Most likely going to go used

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-hubless-monster-01.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	115172

Cruise on this...

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-hubless-monster-01.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	115172

Cruise on this...
    NO. This show bike is NOT for a first timer. Uncomfortable, handles poorly, expensive.

Since I've been riding like forever, I would recommend, since you do not want to go over $7,500, to get a used cruiser from Craigslist. When you get to be my age, I'm done with the rice rockets, and prefer style and comfort. Leave the uncomfortable 9 second machines for the kids. And the other thing? Get something comfortable back there for your woman. You want her to share this experience too, right?

I would hold off putting anyone on the back of the bike for 6 months, until you really know your machine. Standard starting and stopping is no big deal. But the first time you are in a panic situation, no one should be on the back.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    A crusier is a waste of money. I say that because i am young. Getting that out of the way i have only seen one crusier that gave me a hardon. I am not sure of the model but it was all flat black harley davidson bike. I think it was a "soft tail" as you guys might call it. Looked bad ass.

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    At your height and weight...an 1100 isn't going to be enough for you imo. I've taken a few out myself...1200's; and felt like I had to Fred Flinstone the yahts. And, even though I'm coming from a sportbike perspective....still...I'm 5'3...and tiny. So...if the shadow wasn't enough for me...its not gonna be for you.

Gotta look at the 1800's minimum....just my 2 cents

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    a fatboyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	07_june_hd_fatboy_06.jpg 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	115174
    Last edited by MBMETC; 04-21-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBMETC View Post
    a fatboy

x2...ya...I'd probably suggest the same

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    sport tourer? honda blackbird etc

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My dad has a Yamaha midnight warrior which I like.

He got it for around 7.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I myself like hardtailed, english or american iron. My everyday ride is 72 shovel head that has been stretched 2 up and 2 out with 40 degrees of rake.

You can pick up a used nightrain on the cheap or a fatboy.

I also like sportbikes even though I dont know much about them at all.

Just get yourself out into the wind and you will be a happy cat.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter View Post
    I myself like hardtailed, english or american iron. My everyday ride is 72 shovel head that has been stretched 2 up and 2 out with 40 degrees of rake.

You can pick up a used nightrain on the cheap or a fatboy.

I also like sportbikes even though I dont know much about them at all.

Just get yourself out into the wind and you will be a happy cat.
    That's all that matters...being on two wheels...and only the road and you exist.
    Last edited by Kawigirl; 04-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    A crusier is a waste of money. I say that because i am young. Getting that out of the way i have only seen one crusier that gave me a hardon. I am not sure of the model but it was all flat black harley davidson bike. I think it was a "soft tail" as you guys might call it. Looked bad ass.
    Night train...now known as the Street Bob.
    I have an '03 night train ...love it ...
    Its a great bike - people either seem to love it ...or not like it at all. As DSM said all flat black ..engine and all. It was actually started by mistake when engines were wrongly powder coated flat black....the Night Train was born.

FTR name was changed for PC reasons. Night Train refers to the trains that took jews and others to concentration camps in Germany during WW2. Shame - Night Train sounds much cooler ...too bad it has such a lousy association.

Blog Entries
    always like yamaha v-max, bad ass looking bike and the full power version could embarrass the odd sport bike off the line

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rl...w=1280&bih=709

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys

Im am young but not into sport bikes. I have always liked the look of cruisers.

I really like the look of the shadow and im going to look into that midnight warrior as well. It seems to be a little more sporty. I've been looking into a Vulcan 1500 Meanstreak also. I really think i'm gonna go for at least an 1100.

Im going to check a few out this weekend and see how they feel.
    Last edited by Noles12; 04-21-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Night train...now known as the Street Bob.
    I have an '03 night train ...love it ...
    Its a great bike - people either seem to love it ...or not like it at all. As DSM said all flat black ..engine and all. It was actually started by mistake when engines were wrongly powder coated flat black....the Night Train was born.

FTR name was changed for PC reasons. Night Train refers to the trains that took jews and others to concentration camps in Germany during WW2. Shame - Night Train sounds much cooler ...too bad it has such a lousy association.
    I checked those out but that not really the look i am going for.

Darksyde is offline Member
    here you go

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    Victory make some nice bikes, worth looking into

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
    here you go

nice machine

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    NO. This show bike is NOT for a first timer. Uncomfortable, handles poorly, expensive.

Since I've been riding like forever, I would recommend, since you do not want to go over $7,500, to get a used cruiser from Craigslist. When you get to be my age, I'm done with the rice rockets, and prefer style and comfort. Leave the uncomfortable 9 second machines for the kids. And the other thing? Get something comfortable back there for your woman. You want her to share this experience too, right?

I would hold off putting anyone on the back of the bike for 6 months, until you really know your machine. Standard starting and stopping is no big deal. But the first time you are in a panic situation, no one should be on the back.
    completely agree. the good news is that most people who sell their cruisers do it because they upgraded to a bigger cruiser or because they don't use it. So you will find a good deal. Honda shadows are great bikes if you aren't looking to go broke on the harley name.

^ no place in the back for the woman. And if that plate does come off exposing a seat (i see the rear footpegs), then after 100 miles, she STILL won't be comfortable. If no woman to be back there, then agree.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to ride around town and back and forth to work, this would probably work. But, if you plan to go on trips, no windshield in the summer at dusk means bugs in your face. Ever been hit by a june bug at 75 mph right in the face? Hurts like hell. and a big sticky gooey mess that doesn't wipe off easily while riding. Ever have a bumble bee land between your helmet and the side of your face? trapped? the bee's last dying effort will be to sting the fuk outta ya. ever go down a country road and have a gravel truck pass the other way? the little bit of gravel that is always coming off, if you are doing 70 and the truck is doing 60, then the rocks hit you in the face at 130mph. It's like a shotgun going off in yer ugly mug. ever ride at night and have a bat or a bird bounce off yer windshield?

Just like aas, decide what your goals are. If you plan on taking trips, then make sure you get something comfortable that will haul yer carcus 500 miles easy and you still feel like you can hit the bar when you get to your destination.

Just some thoughts from a guy that has been riding almost 35 years.

this is the stock version of what I have. By the time I rolled it off the show room floor, I had already droppped $30k with ALL the engine mods, sport packs, etc.

now I know this is more than what you have budgetted. But, I can ride 24/7 rain or shine on this, and have rode through severe hail storms on several occassions, WITH my woman on the back. She rode three days straight one way on our Sturgis run, and she NEVER complained (imagine how comfortable it had to be for a woman NOT to be complaining).

So if your woman wants to go on trips with you, then you need to find something like this. Doesn't have to be a harley, especially for a first bike.

btw... I have almost 110 hp and 105 ftlbs of torque. This means going through the rocky mountains, fully loaded, woman on the back, at high altitude, 90+mph and tons of throttle left.

Open road flat out i'm at 135+mph.

not bad for a geezer bike, huh?

this is the stock version of what I have. By the time I rolled it off the show room floor, I had already droppped $30k with ALL the engine mods, sport packs, etc.

now I know this is more than what you have budgetted. But, I can ride 24/7 rain or shine on this, and have rode through severe hail storms on several occassions, WITH my woman on the back. She rode three days straight one way on our Sturgis run, and she NEVER complained (imagine how comfortable it had to be for a woman NOT to be complaining).

So if your woman wants to go on trips with you, then you need to find something like this. Doesn't have to be a harley, especially for a first bike.
    Im not looking to travel on it really at all. Most of my riding will be in the city with the occasional ride on I10. That kind of bike is a little much for what im looking for.

Maybe a few years down the road i will move up to that but for now im looking into the more sleek cruiser such as the one posted or the style of a shadow.

My girl may ride on the back every so often but not for extended periods. Just some city riding or some backroads. Probably never long enough for her to complain

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    the honda Vtx1300 is another nice cruiser in your price range. My dad used to have the vtx1800 which was awesome to ride if you want somthing a little bigger. Just a few more to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    Im not looking to travel on it really at all. Most of my riding will be in the city with the occasional ride on I10. That kind of bike is a little much for what im looking for.

Maybe a few years down the road i will move up to that but for now im looking into the more sleek cruiser such as the one posted or the style of a shadow.

My girl may ride on the back every so often but not for extended periods. Just some city riding or some backroads. Probably never long enough for her to complain
    then this is probably not the style of bike you need. so a streamlined something, Victory, Valkyrie, or what ever would be cool. Dont' discount Craigslist, since there are many dudes out there that are really hurting for cash, and are letting their machines go at a nice discount.

If you don't know how to asses the safety / road worthiness of a machine when you go to someones house, then bring someone that does. Avoid high mileage. Avoid funky configurations that look "cool" (after market). Avoid high performance "add-ons" that significantly change compression ratio, cam timing, or what ever. I've been down this road several times, and you see something cool, and you think... "hell ya"! then you get it home, and that really cool aftermarket mod really causes alot of problems.

my .02. what ever you DO decide to get, make sure it is as close to stock as possible. the more people fuk with sh1t, the more likely it aint gonna be right when you go to buy it.

Other than that, a first bike, should have less power, not more. once you get the feel of it, and maybe after a year, you can upgrade. Panic situations are a MF, they do happen, and it is always better to have something that is easier to handle when it does happen.

There is this thing I call "Road Sense" kinda like ESP, but not really. For example, when you approach an intersection, that guy that could potentially make a left in front of you? If you don't see him looking at you, then you must assume he will pull out in front of you. I have seen too many of my brothers lose it in a similar situation, and then try to justify it by saying "well, not my fault! I had the right away!" who gives a fuk who's fault it was? it still happened. And 2000 lb car wins every time over 450 lb bike.

so i hear these "bikers" bich about how someone pulled out in front of them. It really shows their experience level when I hear that. A dude that really has it together would NEVER allow something like that to happen. Period.

damm, almost lost my train of thought. the reason for bringing up the "road sense' comment is that this awareness often can take a few years to develop, like anything else. Until you get this, then better to have a lighter, less powerful machine. Else you could end up dead. No joke.

----double posted ----------
    Last edited by Times Roman; 04-23-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    ^ no place in the back for the woman. And if that plate does come off exposing a seat (i see the rear footpegs), then after 100 miles, she STILL won't be comfortable. If no woman to be back there, then agree.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to ride around town and back and forth to work, this would probably work. But, if you plan to go on trips, no windshield in the summer at dusk means bugs in your face. Ever been hit by a june bug at 75 mph right in the face? Hurts like hell. and a big sticky gooey mess that doesn't wipe off easily while riding. Ever have a bumble bee land between your helmet and the side of your face? trapped? the bee's last dying effort will be to sting the fuk outta ya. ever go down a country road and have a gravel truck pass the other way? the little bit of gravel that is always coming off, if you are doing 70 and the truck is doing 60, then the rocks hit you in the face at 130mph. It's like a shotgun going off in yer ugly mug. ever ride at night and have a bat or a bird bounce off yer windshield?

Just like aas, decide what your goals are. If you plan on taking trips, then make sure you get something comfortable that will haul yer carcus 500 miles easy and you still feel like you can hit the bar when you get to your destination.

Just some thoughts from a guy that has been riding almost 35 years.
    So just get a convertible car then.

This is just a dangerous car. None of the benefits of a motorcycle except to say that you own one of the loudest (whether it be the pipes or the radio that everybody can hear but nobody can tell what you are listening to) biggest bikes around, or smallest and most unsafe landboat/car. However you look at it.

damm, almost lost my train of thought. the reason for bringing up the "road sense' comment is that this awareness often can take a few years to develop, like anything else. Until you get this, then better to have a lighter, less powerful machine. Else you could end up dead. No joke.
    Spot on about this. Very few ever talk about this and a ton of people I know who didn't understand what I was saying when I tell them they are inexperienced are now dead from this exact shit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Spot on about this. Very few ever talk about this and a ton of people I know who didn't understand what I was saying when I tell them they are inexperienced are now dead from this exact shit.
    i think it boils down to natural ability, i started on a zx6r and guys told me i was crazy starting on something tht quick, i think the bigger bike taught me very fast about high sides, spinning up on road paint etc and tht a small cc bike wouldnt have exposed me to this, i rode it for around a year and then straight onto a 929 fireblade with no spills at all.

some ppl have a natural affinity for driving/riding fast machines whereas some pvssyfoot into it and seem more likely to crash

My bikes:
    GSXR 750 (first bike)
    Honda cbr 900
    GSXR 1000
    Ducati 750 supersport
    Kawasaki zx6r
    Honda boulevard 800cc

Crashed only one bike, my cbr900 2 days after I bought it cuz I was doing wheelies in first like a dumbass (looped it). Well I also tipped my first gsxr 750 but kinda on purpose cuz I was trying to drift in the rain... Was going slow obviously

then this is probably not the style of bike you need. so a streamlined something, Victory, Valkyrie, or what ever would be cool. Dont' discount Craigslist, since there are many dudes out there that are really hurting for cash, and are letting their machines go at a nice discount.

If you don't know how to asses the safety / road worthiness of a machine when you go to someones house, then bring someone that does. Avoid high mileage. Avoid funky configurations that look "cool" (after market). Avoid high performance "add-ons" that significantly change compression ratio, cam timing, or what ever. I've been down this road several times, and you see something cool, and you think... "hell ya"! then you get it home, and that really cool aftermarket mod really causes alot of problems.

my .02. what ever you DO decide to get, make sure it is as close to stock as possible. the more people fuk with sh1t, the more likely it aint gonna be right when you go to buy it.

Other than that, a first bike, should have less power, not more. once you get the feel of it, and maybe after a year, you can upgrade. Panic situations are a MF, they do happen, and it is always better to have something that is easier to handle when it does happen.

There is this thing I call "Road Sense" kinda like ESP, but not really. For example, when you approach an intersection, that guy that could potentially make a left in front of you? If you don't see him looking at you, then you must assume he will pull out in front of you. I have seen too many of my brothers lose it in a similar situation, and then try to justify it by saying "well, not my fault! I had the right away!" who gives a fuk who's fault it was? it still happened. And 2000 lb car wins every time over 450 lb bike.

so i hear these "bikers" bich about how someone pulled out in front of them. It really shows their experience level when I hear that. A dude that really has it together would NEVER allow something like that to happen. Period.
    I have noticed that Craigslist really does have some great deals. I personally dont like all of those aftermarket parts just for the reason you said. For a first bike im looking for low miles and completely stock.

When it comes to power that is my biggest concern. I want to make sure I get enough power for my size and enough to not grow out of it in only a few months. I do not want to get more than i can handle though. I just feel a 650cc cruiser isnt gonna cut it for a guy my size when it comes to comfort and power.

I personally have never ridden a motorcycle in my life. I was looking into a local training course in which you get your license and gives you a discount on insurance. So for "road sense" im sure i have none. Thats why im not sure about hopping right into a 1500cc bike

800cc would satisfy you if you are not a speed demon. I can pull wheelies on my suzuki boulevard so that will be plenty of power for you bro. If you feel like you are gonna want to go fast and crazy then go with an 1100 or so. With cruisers big jumps in ccs doesn't make as much of a difference when compared to a superbike. It's not like if you bought a 800 you would be bored but an 1100 would be out of your control. Go with a bike that you feel is comfortable and has all the amenities you are looking for. Anywhere in the power range of 800-1400 will be fine. Personally I would say 800-1000 for first bike, leaning toward 800. Either way though you will be fine.

Blog Entries
    I have noticed that Craigslist really does have some great deals. I personally dont like all of those aftermarket parts just for the reason you said. For a first bike im looking for low miles and completely stock.

When it comes to power that is my biggest concern. I want to make sure I get enough power for my size and enough to not grow out of it in only a few months. I do not want to get more than i can handle though. I just feel a 650cc cruiser isnt gonna cut it for a guy my size when it comes to comfort and power.

I personally have never ridden a motorcycle in my life. I was looking into a local training course in which you get your license and gives you a discount on insurance. So for "road sense" im sure i have none. Thats why im not sure about hopping right into a 1500cc bike
    only goes as fast as your right hand allows it to mate.
    bikes dont go fast, people do

I'm a licensed instructor on weekends....I can not emphasize enough how important a course is if you've never ridden. You can always tell those with proper riding and safe skills to those who haven't taken a course.
    Believe me...the things you learn might just save your life.

I've been riding for over 12 years; and instructing....there are rules I live by....and see broken by lots every year. Those are the ones that learn the hard way.
    12 years....I instruct..and even my own mentor makes me ride every lunch hour watching me to improve my own still to this day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information