pushin' 225lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmqqZMClLPQ

Hope the link works. Enjoy

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Awesome!
    Looks like feather weight...lol
    Donīt forget to breathe :-)

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks man. I was inhaling and exhaling every rep, it was just not full blown heavy breathing. Before the video, in my mind, 20 reps was what I was shooting for. Once I hit 20, I kinda just gave up lol. I probably could have squeezed out couple more reps but its ok with me.

Btw my previous best was 15 reps.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Well done, looks to easy for you increase the weight

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Well done, looks to easy for you increase the weight
    Thanks big marc. Now, if I can do 315 lbs like that....

awms is offline Senior Member
    Thats tough man! Its alot of muscle endurance! The other day I did 275 for a couple sets and thought "Il end with 185 to get a nice pump...prob get atleast 25 reps easy" Gasses out at 15 reps and racked it lol felt like a feather until about 12 reps in. Man I need to work on my muscle endurance! lol

buffgator is offline king of mass
    That's great man. My brother is up to 37 reps at 225 but he has trained specifically for it.

Quote Originally Posted by buffgator View Post
    That's great man. My brother is up to 37 reps at 225 but he has trained specifically for it.
    Thanks, bro. 37 reps is damn impressive.

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Marcus that avatar pic is alien brotha! That's so insane.

I never really understood the 225 challenge especially in the NFL! You do need strength to do this but once you hit 15 reps its all muscle endurance! I would bet any money if you take a bodybuilder who trains in the 8-15 rep ranger and a power lifter who trains in the 1-5 rep range the bodybuilder would win the challenge even though the powerlifters max would prob be much much higher!

Stil very impressive though! But I wish the nfl would upgrade the combine to a 315 bench lol The guys today are way to big and powerful to be doing 225....doesnt show true strength.

I would more more impressed if If a 320lb line men benched 315 for 15 reps than seeing him do 225 for 40.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by awms View Post
    I never really understood the 225 challenge especially in the NFL! You do need strength to do this but once you hit 15 reps its all muscle endurance! I would bet any money if you take a bodybuilder who trains in the 8-15 rep ranger and a power lifter who trains in the 1-5 rep range the bodybuilder would win the challenge even though the powerlifters max would prob be much much higher!

Stil very impressive though! But I wish the nfl would upgrade the combine to a 315 bench lol The guys today are way to big and powerful to be doing 225....doesnt show true strength.
    It's not just about strength tho. In the NFL it's just as much about endurance. Doing the something over and over for an extended period of time. 225 shows a good balance between strength and endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by awms View Post
    I would more more impressed if If a 320lb line men benched 315 for 15 reps than seeing him do 225 for 40.
    i think the 225 for 40 would be way harder. i can do 315 for 13 but 225 for just 27

Quote Originally Posted by buffgator View Post
    i think the 225 for 40 would be way harder. i can do 315 for 13 but 225 for just 27
    Damn, your 5 reps ahead of me on 225 yet you weigh 70lbs more. Do you not bench press very much??

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigd89 View Post
    Damn, your 5 reps ahead of me on 225 yet you weigh 70lbs more. Do you not bench press very much??
    More size does not automatically equal more strength

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    More size does not automatically equal more strength
    Agree.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fat.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	115853

Quote Originally Posted by Bigd89 View Post
    never been a pusher. i have a 455 raw bench. im terrible at bench and over head pressing, but im pulling over 700 on deadlift

Nfl is pure power! yes you need alot of condtioning but 225 test is worthless for football players...I played football and at no time in training did we train in this way...not Im a kin student and I work with athletes and we never have them do over 8 reps and even that is high! most plays last 4-6 seconds so the goal is power. it makes for a good show but at the end of the day it doesnt mean a whole lot for most players...I would rather know that my o-line men Im about to pay 5 million a year can throw up 600lbs for 3 reps than do 225 for 40.

Its kind of like the 40 yard dash at the combine...yes its a general measure of speed but its not really accurate. half of the 40 is form, the other speed, a 4.30 guy can run 4.60 with in proper technique. you also have to take into account the 20-25lbs of gear these guys wear in a game....

All Im saying is the combine is out dated. It started in the late 70's when guys were not as large and 225 was a good measure of strength because people didnt do 40 reps....they did 10 lol now we have qb's doing 20 reps! thats just crazy!

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    made it look easy. only difference i do is i lower the weight slower with more control.

keep up the good work brother

Thread Information