Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda 919

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBrah View Post
    1/3 the engine size but has a higher power to weight ratio. I've ridden a harley with what I THINK was a 1250cc engine and I would say a 600 could easily accelerate faster. How much HP does your harley make?
    even a 400 sports would tear up a harley, diff class of bikes

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    sorry mates. to me, a 600 is a small bike. about 1/3 the engine size what I ride
    yea 1/3 the size but still alot more power then any harley

TBrah is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    even a 400 sports would tear up a harley, diff class of bikes
    I want to ride those 4 cylinder two strokes they raced in motogp I heard those things are dangerous
    Last edited by TBrah; 08-01-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    I want to ride those 4 cylinder two strokes they raced in motogp I heard those things are dangerous
    would be quite an experience

Blog Entries
    if you like comfort TR, have you ever tried a zx12r, busa or blackbird? big comfy long distance hyperbikes

sorry mates. to me, a 600 is a small bike. about 1/3 the engine size what I ride
    i just looked up s&s motors. The performance Harley motor at over 1500cc is only 70hp. A 600 makes about 30hp more then that.
    So pretty much big motor big noise and nothing else

At the HP shoot out i went to in Daytona years ago. I beat every harley but the pro class winner. It was more then double my engine size with a supercharger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    i just looked up s&s motors. The performance Harley motor at over 1500cc is only 70hp. A 600 makes about 30hp more then that.

At the HP shoot out i went to in Daytona years ago. I beat every harley but the pro class winner. It was more then double my engine size with a supercharger.
    are you on a litre gixxer mate?

if you like comfort TR, have you ever tried a zx12r, busa or blackbird? big comfy long distance hyperbikes
    I have not ridden a busa but they are still the feet behind you sort of sitting position. I have to admit the harley I rode was really comfortable. The only thing is, I couldn't justify riding a motorcycle if it wasn't faster than pretty much any car on the road otherwise it's just too dangerous and I dont feel like I'm getting anything out of it.

wow 70 hp that sucks. When I get another bike you gotta get one too

Blog Entries
    I have not ridden a busa but they are still the feet behind you sort of sitting position. I have to admit the harley I rode was really comfortable. The only thing is, I couldn't justify riding a motorcycle if it wasn't faster than pretty much any car on the road otherwise it's just too dangerous and I dont feel like I'm getting anything out of it.
    they are that period mate, ive dodged the brown box by the skin of my teeth a good few times. motorists are programmed to watch out for cars, they dont think about bikes

are you on a litre gixxer mate?
    it was a 750 with a big bore kit. ported and polished head, cams pretty much you name it i had it. I did alot of street racing with it. And it was in a 600 bike

it was a 750 with a big bore kit. ported and polished head, cams pretty much you name it i had it. I did alot of street racing with it. And it was in a 600 bike
    it was stretched wasn't it

Blog Entries
    fvck, the harleys charger must have been set up to hit in almost immediately off the start, your bike would have had greater acceleration off the line if he was waiting for the charger to kick in

it was stretched wasn't it
    nope. just lowered some

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    1/3 the engine size but has a higher power to weight ratio. I've ridden a harley with what I THINK was a 1250cc engine and I would say a 600 could easily accelerate faster. How much HP does your harley make?
    with my type of bike, it's all about torque. 110ft/lbs of torque. HP is about the same, slightly less

sorry again. I have what is called a stage III kit put in, with a 105 stroker kit as well. nothing original left on my engine. different jugs, cams, pistons, displacement, heads, valves, springs, clutch, power commander, air intakes, .... it's all different. over 50% more power than stock.

but you are comparing harley engine performance to your bike.

ifyou switch it around, how well do you think your bike would hold up on a 2,000 mile trip with your woman on the back, fully loaded, with all your supplies?

sorry again. I have what is called a stage III kit put in, with a 105 stroker kit as well. nothing original left on my engine. different jugs, cams, pistons, displacement, heads, valves, springs, clutch, power commander, air intakes, .... it's all different. over 50% more power than stock.

ifyou switch it around, how well do you think your bike would hold up on a 2,000 mile trip with your woman on the back, fully loaded, with all your supplies?
    The bike would hold up fine. Me and the woman not so much. Thats why i owned a trailer

I won't trailer mine. I either ride it, or I don't go.

2k miles is a lot even on a comfy bike man. I was just trying to say that a sportbikes engine is not little.That being said, I would just get a bike ramp and put the bike in a truck or trailer it in a car until we got to where we were going and then just ride around there she can follow me with the car because I'm going to where there are mountains and I always ride with a solo seat.

I wouldn't even try to ride a cruiser up a bike ramp into a truck. But if I did ride 2k miles with a girl on the back and whatver sort of supplies she could fit into the backpack that she would be wearing like gixxer said the bike would be fine but we would not be or maybe we would? We'd make it there in like double the time you would
    Last edited by TBrah; 08-02-2011 at 12:57 AM.

^ so there are, in my mind, about three types of general categories
    dirt bikes
    race bikes / cafe style
    cruisers

so each type has a relevent range. a 600 for a cruiser is definately small. for a racer, it's mid size. and for dirt bikes, it's probably large.

I remember my first bike.. a honda 350. a frend of mine worked at the honda shop at the time, so had access to his mechanical skills and his employee discounts. spent an entire summer working on that damn thing. Sounds real funny now, but I was real proud of that bike back then. and it was real quick, relative to what was available at the time.

2k miles is a lot even on a comfy bike man. I was just trying to say that a sportbikes engine is not little.That being said, I would just get a bike ramp and put the bike in a truck or trailer it in a car until we got to where we were going and then just ride around there she can follow me with the car because I'm going to where there are mountains and I always ride with a solo seat.

I wouldn't even try to ride a cruiser up a bike ramp into a truck. But if I did ride 2k miles with a girl on the back and whatver sort of supplies she could fit into the backpack that she would be wearing like gixxer said the bike would be fine but we would not be or maybe we would? We'd make it there in like double the time you would
    only if you are wearing cotton underwear! if you wear the nylon type, then you are G2G.

But I guess I'm a dying breed. In my day, guys wouldn't think of trailoring their scoot, unless they were sick or had a broke arm or something.

But then, over the last 25 years or so, when riding became mainstream, and anyone with a house could put a second mortgage and get a harley, then we entered the era of the wannabe. Before, you earned your status as a biker, and knew others on the road same as you. Now, it aint like that anymore. I see guys wearing short pants and shower shoes riding on their scoots with full face helmets on, thinking they are cool. In fact, I see guys that easily put $40k into their scoots, with less than 20,000 lifetime miles on two wheels. And the sad part is when these guys pull their bikes off their trailers 5 miles from their destination, then they throw on their leathers and come rumbling into town as if they had actually made the journey on their scoots.

I learned all kinds of tricks from other bikers. what to do if it gets cold and only a shirt on. how to cannibalize parts off other vehicles to keep your scoot running in an emergency. why I always carried a 20 foot length of nylon rope with me. what to do if you lost your ingnition key. the list goes on and on...

the main reason I would never trailer my scoot is about how I look at life. For me, the journey is just as important as the destination, sometimes even more so. But nowadays, for some, I guess it is more important to be in a warm truck with short pants on listening to Mariah Carey and sipping a soda than it is to actually experience the road and all the challanges that come with it.

only if you are wearing cotton underwear! if you wear the nylon type, then you are G2G.

But I guess I'm a dying breed. In my day, guys wouldn't think of trailoring their scoot, unless they were sick or had a broke arm or something.

But then, over the last 25 years or so, when riding became mainstream, and anyone with a house could put a second mortgage and get a harley, then we entered the era of the wannabe. Before, you earned your status as a biker, and knew others on the road same as you. Now, it aint like that anymore. I see guys wearing short pants and shower shoes riding on their scoots with full face helmets on, thinking they are cool. In fact, I see guys that easily put $40k into their scoots, with less than 20,000 lifetime miles on two wheels. And the sad part is when these guys pull their bikes off their trailers 5 miles from their destination, then they throw on their leathers and come rumbling into town as if they had actually made the journey on their scoots.

I learned all kinds of tricks from other bikers. what to do if it gets cold and only a shirt on. how to cannibalize parts off other vehicles to keep your scoot running in an emergency. why I always carried a 20 foot length of nylon rope with me. what to do if you lost your ingnition key. the list goes on and on...

the main reason I would never trailer my scoot is about how I look at life. For me, the journey is just as important as the destination, sometimes even more so. But nowadays, for some, I guess it is more important to be in a warm truck with short pants on listening to Mariah Carey and sipping a soda than it is to actually experience the road and all the challanges that come with it.
    I understand what you are saying. But i ride cause u enjoy it and to have fun and a good time. Its not a way of life. I like the speed, cornering and agility of the bike. Just cruising down the road for hours i'd rather be in a convertible.

I like running on the treadmill but doesnt mean i'd want to be on it for 6 hours at 2 mph

did you ever dyno it? I'm curious about how much power it made.

Weekend warriors. Pastey face dorks during the week that turn into tough guys when they get on their Harley on the weekend. Very annoying.

Blog Entries

id much rather do it on a hyperbike tbh, and they'd eat that up

did you ever dyno it? I'm curious about how much power it made.
    yeah i did twice as a matter of fact. place in merced california called strokers. guy named tim owns the place... pretty squared away dude. he maps it out and gives youthe print out. the second time he did it for me (new engine) the back tire blew. it was louder than fuk! anyways, 105ft/lbs of torque, and the horsepower just a tad under...

id much rather do it on a hyperbike tbh, and they'd eat that up
    i went coast to coast on a KZ1000. three and a half days. helluvan experience!! anyways, i've done it with both a cruiser and a wrist rocket. although i loved my kz1000 at the time, I'll go with the harley any day. my harley, not a stock harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    Weekend warriors. Pastey face dorks during the week that turn into tough guys when they get on their Harley on the weekend. Very annoying.
    i think you undersand a little. you get thise wannabes that have maybe a few thousand total lifetime miles under their belt, get them a new expensive harley, and put on a brand new shiney set of leathers and viola!

to be honest, alot of these blokes are dangerous cuz they don't really know how to ride. they try to play the part. but in reality, they look like actors with costumes on. the moment the sky gets a bit cloudy with a chance of rain, and it's... uh oh..! what do we do now?

i went coast to coast on a KZ1000. three and a half days. helluvan experience!! anyways, i've done it with both a cruiser and a wrist rocket. although i loved my kz1000 at the time, I'll go with the harley any day. my harley, not a stock harley.
    I guy i know has ridden around the world twice on his bike. Some of the stories are unbelievable.

Blog Entries
    I guy i know has ridden around the world twice on his bike. Some of the stories are unbelievable.
    didnt some bloke do it on an R1 not that long ago?

didnt some bloke do it on an R1 not that long ago?
    for me, all over europe and the united states only. no where else, unfortunately.

but around the world? how did he manage the oceans?

Blog Entries
    for me, all over europe and the united states only. no where else, unfortunately.

well obviously he flew or sailed the oceans. have you ever watch Long Way Round? ewan mcgreggor and charlie boorman do it on big gs beemers, from england through russia alaska and the states

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    919 for a first bike? Just make sure your life insurance is up to date. Dirt bike riding is nothing like a streetbike.
    I bought a GSXR 1000 for my first bike, whats the problem?

I'm going to look at and drive a used 919 in the morning. What are some important things to ask or look for when buying a used bike?

It's a 2003 model with just under 20k miles on it - supposedly never been wrecked. Guy says it just has one small dent in the gas tank where he knocked it over trying to get it on a stand to change the oil.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to look at and drive a used 919 in the morning. What are some important things to ask or look for when buying a used bike?

It's a 2003 model with just under 20k miles on it - supposedly never been wrecked. Guy says it just has one small dent in the gas tank where he knocked it over trying to get it on a stand to change the oil.
    thats the usual excuse, check that side of the bike v carefully for any tell tail signs of a slide down the road, check if any casings have been replaced or footpegs. other than than that just check front suspension, chain, brakes and play in wheels also check for any wheelie abuse and walk away if present, constant wheelies starve the engine of oil, not good! hondas have a little rattle in a bearing at the clutch basket on normal temp tick over, pull in the clutch and if it goes away you're fine, if not walk away.

best to do would be sign up to a model specific forum tonight and you'll find all the common faults for that model on there. GL

he flew. Started in south america rode up through north america flew to europe and did asia.

thats the usual excuse, check that side of the bike v carefully for any tell tail signs of a slide down the road, check if any casings have been replaced or footpegs. other than than that just check front suspension, chain, brakes and play in wheels also check for any wheelie abuse and walk away if present, constant wheelies starve the engine of oil, not good! hondas have a little rattle in a bearing at the clutch basket on normal temp tick over, pull in the clutch and if it goes away you're fine, if not walk away.

best to do would be sign up to a model specific forum tonight and you'll find all the common faults for that model on there. GL
    That's why you overfill the oil my 2nd bike I bought used and it had never ever been dropped. I got a pitbull stand one day and thought it would be cool to take pictures. Went inside to get the camera after the bike was on the stand and heard a ****ing crash. Anyways it dropped on the left side ended up bending the crankshaft and basically it ended up having to be welded, have a new case, a new flywheel was a stupid ****ing thing to do and a bunch of other shit got scratched.

But as for what to check, like dec11 said I would just add to check the tires, make sure the bike sounds good. IN the us we have a few sites that tell you the used vaule for bikes I would try to find sites like that for you. Try to talk the guy down on the price if he is asking too much and talk him down even more if the bike needs things most bikes do like chain, tires. Also when you get it change the oil.

Thanks Dec and tbrah. I'll post tomorrow if I get it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dec and tbrah. I'll post tomorrow if I get it.
    how'd you get on?

I went and rode it and everything checked out great. The dent on the gas tank is tiny and there were no scrapes or any signs of touch up paint on it so I think he really did just drop it in his garage.

I talked him down a bit and was gonna buy it but the dumb ass kid (college student) left the title at his mom's house. She's gonna mail it to him and I should be picking the bike up on Wednesday - can't wait!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information