Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pain

qal92 is offline Senior Member

Back pain

Any of you guys ever had any lower back trouble? ive been feeling a pain going down the left side of my lumbar vert. it goes down my glute and into my hip, where the ball socket joint is and sometimes i feel it go down my thigh, its gotten some better, just looking for some tips so i can get back to my lower training

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    look in the injury rehab section, you will find a lot of information there and Yes many of us have.

Yeah i posted in there and looked around a bit lol found a little bit of info, just waiting for some responces for further info

lower back ice it right away as most post say. 20-30 min ice and 20-30 min off repeat 4 or 5x in a row. Sounds like your siatica nerve might be pinched so again, ice is your friend.
    Stretching backwards, not forwards. Lay on your belly and arch up holding for 30-60 sec or more. Also like doing a lunge go down on one knee with the other foot out in front and flex you glutes pulling your body forward but keeping in an upright position for 30-60 sec then switch sides. Do this 3-4x a day. use a NSAI such as alieve and again, ICE.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    im really lucky with lower back, have never had a prob with it in my 20yrs of lifting. i think the advantage came from being trained in plifting from the get go and i have a very strong back. as for everything else, dont go there lol.

can you trace it back to a certain event/session?

i find if i twist slightly to either side on max deads that i get a similar pain emanating from spinal erectors and travelling down through the hip, has only happened me afew times and im fine next day.

id avoid any stress on it for a few weeks at least then slowly and lightly build up with deads and stiff leg deads alternating each week

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Only time my back hurts is when I come home from a chiropractor session. Man they can be rough. I think every bone in my back pops when they twist you like a pretzel. But after a day or so I'm back to my abnormal self.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Big back problems here. Kept me out of the gym for years. I keep things strict. I have a hard time training legs and sometimes have problems with any exercise that compresses my spine (like shoulders and standing curls). I tried squats for the first time a week or two ago. After every set it felt like needles where being stuck in my finger tips and my fingers were a little numb for a few days. Soooo, no more squats for a while. I will never do deads again.

All you can do it be careful and work around it. Ice and the exercises above (lovbytes) are great. At times I take 800mg of Advil, but generally I try not to do things that mask my discomfort as the pain is an indicator that something is wrong and that I need to be careful.

Thanks guys, ive been icing it and stretching it like a mofo, im gona go get it checked today, but this is just another thing for me to conquer, I WILL get my elite

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    i have a few issues with my back, nothing too serious, but for me, prevention is always preferable. Two things I have to keep in mind.... don't let the weight get too high, and strong stomach muscles. If I adhere to these to goals, then i'm usually OK. Even when i do have a sore back, doing situps/crunchies, even though painful at first, usually helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    i have a few issues with my back, nothing too serious, but for me, prevention is always preferable. Two things I have to keep in mind.... don't let the weight get too high, and strong stomach muscles. If I adhere to these to goals, then i'm usually OK. Even when i do have a sore back, doing situps/crunchies, even though painful at first, usually helps.
    Yeah one thing i think what might have happened(im a powerlifter) but i let my core get WEAK, i havent done as many heavy goodmorning and abs as i used to do, and thats why i think this happened

Quote Originally Posted by qal92 View Post
    Yeah one thing i think what might have happened(im a powerlifter) but i let my core get WEAK, i havent done as many heavy goodmorning and abs as i used to do, and thats why i think this happened
    I went home on vacation this september, and as chaotic as everything was, my routine suffered. within a couple of weeks, i was noticing my back starting to get sore. So even though i really didn't do much with my routine, i made sure I did my cable crunchies every day, and the soreness went away.

I went home on vacation this september, and as chaotic as everything was, my routine suffered. within a couple of weeks, i was noticing my back starting to get sore. So even though i really didn't do much with my routine, i made sure I did my cable crunchies every day, and the soreness went away.
    CABLE CRUNCHES!!!!! my go to ab exercise haha, either that or weighted situps off of a GHR, think i should try and start doing my ab work during the injury, i tried doing them sunday and i was so unstable from my back i was shakin like i just took 400mcg of clen

I was thinking of just doing a dble split bodybuilding routine until my back gets better, any thoughts?

I was thinking of just doing a dble split bodybuilding routine until my back gets better, any thoughts?

CABLE CRUNCHES!!!!! my go to ab exercise haha, either that or weighted situps off of a GHR, think i should try and start doing my ab work during the injury, i tried doing them sunday and i was so unstable from my back i was shakin like i just took 400mcg of clen
    that's funny! i shake from 40mcg of clen if i don't ease into it for about a week.

for me, it's cable crunchies, suspended weighted situps, and this hokey situp machine i like to do with both legs at about a 45 degrees off the ground. I've been doing some real light good mornings at about 12kg and 15 reps. I'm not trying to make the muscles burn, just work em a little bit. I'm very tentative about the good mornings, since for me, i could over do it before it even started hurting, so im going to go real sloooooow with my progressions over many months.

well, your goals and my goals are probably much different. AND i'm probably alot older than you, so what I would do is probably different than what you wouuld do. I'm stuck here in Afghanistan with limited equipment. For me, it's upper body one day, the next is lower body, third day rest. then repeat.

and at my age, if i suffer an injury, it takes a loooong time to recover, and there is no growth when recovering, so i just learned to take it slow.

that's funny! i shake from 40mcg of clen if i don't ease into it for about a week.

for me, it's cable crunchies, suspended weighted situps, and this hokey situp machine i like to do with both legs at about a 45 degrees off the ground. I've been doing some real light good mornings at about 12kg and 15 reps. I'm not trying to make the muscles burn, just work em a little bit. I'm very tentative about the good mornings, since for me, i could over do it before it even started hurting, so im going to go real sloooooow with my progressions over many months.
    hahaha the "meth effect" clens a go pill thats for sure, but looking back now my lowerback used to be alot stronger and ive been focusing more on my legs and upper back for my squat and dead, i used to do goodmornings 70% of the time heavy and light, seated or standing, out of the rack or chains or normal etc, i used to work up to mid 350s low 4's and the day before the back stuff started 135 felt kind of rough, but ive only done heavy goodmornings maybe like twice in the last 4 months

well, your goals and my goals are probably much different. AND i'm probably alot older than you, so what I would do is probably different than what you wouuld do. I'm stuck here in Afghanistan with limited equipment. For me, it's upper body one day, the next is lower body, third day rest. then repeat.

and at my age, if i suffer an injury, it takes a loooong time to recover, and there is no growth when recovering, so i just learned to take it slow.
    Yeah im only 19 lol, been reading on here since i was like 15, i read on here a while before registering then had another account but couldnt post, now i have this one, i have big competition plans for powerlifting, i want to get me elite in the next years time and my pro card i the next 2-3 years, if i did start the bb training for a while it could let my entire body rest and heal up though and put on some size in lagging areas for my powerlifting

hahaha the "meth effect" clens a go pill thats for sure, but looking back now my lowerback used to be alot stronger and ive been focusing more on my legs and upper back for my squat and dead, i used to do goodmornings 70% of the time heavy and light, seated or standing, out of the rack or chains or normal etc, i used to work up to mid 350s low 4's and the day before the back stuff started 135 felt kind of rough, but ive only done heavy goodmornings maybe like twice in the last 4 months
    I picked up a bottle of clen from AR-R , and did a quick 2 week cycle. for me, i really have to ease into the clen, starting with 10mcg/day and increasing 10mcg every other day until my two weeks is up. any faster, and i get the shakes.

I picked up a bottle of clen from AR-R, and did a quick 2 week cycle. for me, i really have to ease into the clen, starting with 10mcg/day and increasing 10mcg every other day until my two weeks is up. any faster, and i get the shakes.
    I used it to cut off a little bit of weight and keep my energy up, making weight for a meet blows haha i could never do a bb comp though, i like steak and icecream to much

Yeah im only 19 lol, been reading on here since i was like 15, i read on here a while before registering then had another account but couldnt post, now i have this one, i have big competition plans for powerlifting, i want to get me elite in the next years time and my pro card i the next 2-3 years, if i did start the bb training for a while it could let my entire body rest and heal up though and put on some size in lagging areas for my powerlifting
    19? sh1t, i wish i had your natural test levels flowing through my veins! and they will increase for the next couple of years. AND your natural strength levels will increase for the next 6 years or so. this is a great time to be building your natural foundation. My son is just a couple of years older than you, and he's at the gym 5x a week, doing it right. He gets so excited at how quickly he's seeing progress. In this sport, knowledge is extremely important since just making the weights go up and down will only give you marginal results.

Hey, it was good chatting with you. I need to hit the rack since it is 9:30 pm my time, and I've still got a few things i gotta do.

Good luck to you mate!
    ----Roman

Yeah haha im a youngster, and im looking forward to the gains i will make over the next few years and the years after that! but thanks for the tips and advise man, have a good one

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Any of you guys ever had any lower back trouble? ive been feeling a pain going down the left side of my lumbar vert. it goes down my glute and into my hip, where the ball socket joint is and sometimes i feel it go down my thigh, its gotten some better, just looking for some tips so i can get back to my lower training
    Qal92 ive only had lower back pain. I can't speak for glute but for lower back stretching does wonders. I do this one I put both hands on a rail lets say and get low with my butt and pull. Pretty regular back stretch. Helps a lot. Another thing, roman chair exercises help me a lot. Its not even about adding weight its just the body isn't used to you bending over so roman chair helps tons.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    lower back ice it right away as most post say. 20-30 min ice and 20-30 min off repeat 4 or 5x in a row. Sounds like your siatica nerve might be pinched so again, ice is your friend.
    Stretching backwards, not forwards. Lay on your belly and arch up holding for 30-60 sec or more. Also like doing a lunge go down on one knee with the other foot out in front and flex you glutes pulling your body forward but keeping in an upright position for 30-60 sec then switch sides. Do this 3-4x a day. use a NSAI such as alieve and again, ICE.
    x2^^^ This is how you cure lower back sciatic nerve problems. Also, dose ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. If you catch it early enough and treat as listed here, you can kill it within a week. If not and don't stay consistent, it can stay around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred;5***274
    x2^^^ This is how you cure lower back sciatic nerve problems. Also, dose ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. If you catch it early enough and treat as listed here, you can kill it within a week. If not and don't stay consistent, it can stay around for a long time.
    Its eased off some today, last night i couldnt lay in the same spot for 5 minutes, im just going to have to watch what i do for a while, im gona do some bb training for a while and set my powerlifting training aside, gotta look at the bigger picture, not next weeks PR

I picked up a bottle of clen from AR-R, and did a quick 2 week cycle. for me, i really have to ease into the clen, starting with 10mcg/day and increasing 10mcg every other day until my two weeks is up. any faster, and i get the shakes.
    I start with 140mcg on day one and get just the slightest of hand shakes. After that I feel practically nothing. Not sure if I am lucky, or if it just doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas;5***439
    I start with 140mcg on day one and get just the slightest of hand shakes. After that I feel practically nothing. Not sure if I am lucky, or if it just doesn't work for me.
    I'm also caffeine sensitive. I mistakenly drank a cup of coffee at 2:30 one afternoon and there was no sleep for me that night. Another little quirk i have, some stimulants have a tendency to calm me down (go figure), so the clen is tricky for me to take.... i just really have to go slow or I get too many sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman;5***501
    I'm also caffeine sensitive. I mistakenly drank a cup of coffee at 2:30 one afternoon and there was no sleep for me that night.
    Caffeine doesn't do much for me either. I never thought about the two not having much punch with me. I wonder if the cause is related.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Naproxen and a firm bed works for this old man whenever my back gives me sh!te

jrsyynk is offline New Member
    The back pain u are describing is similar to a problem I had, it could be the beginning signs of a hip problem. It can be checked out by a quick x-ray of the hip and you will know more. Not saying its the definite problem but at least it will rule out a serious problem and give u more insight into future workout routines.

This morning I sneezed and it felt like someone hit me in the back with a baseball bat. Even when we are functional, we are millimeters from something being out of whack. Be careful.

in the past, when i wasn't in shape, a sneeze could really be devastating. i'd get down into a crouch, hold on, and sneeze, praying i'd survive the dam thing. Feels like i've been getting a helluva lot younger these past few years.....!

lmao^ Times Roman, the backs feeling a bit better today, i slept decent, about fell asleep in my second class of the day haha, but im going to just do some bodybuilding training for a while to let things heal up unless something happens, and ill continue to build on the areas needed for powerlifting, the entire back, abs, tris, hamstrings and glutes, but i appreciate all the feedback from everyone

Quote Originally Posted by qal92;5***323
    Its eased off some today, last night i couldnt lay in the same spot for 5 minutes, im just going to have to watch what i do for a while, im gona do some bb training for a while and set my powerlifting training aside, gotta look at the bigger picture, not next weeks PR
    Good to hear but don't give up on the ice. After about a week start using cold/hot (contrast therapy. Again use ice for 20-30 minutes and make sure it's COLD so after you take it off it's sort of numb and the skin is COLD to the touch. Then use a heat pack (I put them in the microwave for 1min) and leave it on for 20-30 minutes rotating from hot to cold back and forth 4 or 5 times in a row 1 or 2x a day.

This also needs done every day consistently, not just once or twice but ever day for at least a weak.

Do NOT use heat for at least the first week after the initial injury or pain/strain. It may feel good while you are doing it but it will cause more inflamation due to excess blood flow and make things worse and take longer to heal.

damm! so every third day is an hour of cardio for me. and today was my cardio day. I start off on the elyptical, and about 15 minutes in, my back starts getting sore. So I parked my arse on the stationary and rode out my last 45 minutes. For me, no matter how strong the stomach muscle, a back ache is potentially only a couple of days away.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Good to hear but don't give up on the ice. After about a week start using cold/hot (contrast therapy. Again use ice for 20-30 minutes and make sure it's COLD so after you take it off it's sort of numb and the skin is COLD to the touch. Then use a heat pack (I put them in the microwave for 1min) and leave it on for 20-30 minutes rotating from hot to cold back and forth 4 or 5 times in a row 1 or 2x a day.

This also needs done every day consistently, not just once or twice but ever day for at least a weak.

Do NOT use heat for at least the first week after the initial injury or pain/strain. It may feel good while you are doing it but it will cause more inflamation due to excess blood flow and make things worse and take longer to heal.
    thats about exactly what ive been doing, things arent a 100 percent yet but i was able to do back raises without any back pain and ab work without back pain, still cant squat or deadlift but i will in time and be back stronger, thanks for the advise!

damm! so every third day is an hour of cardio for me. and today was my cardio day. I start off on the elyptical, and about 15 minutes in, my back starts getting sore. So I parked my arse on the stationary and rode out my last 45 minutes. For me, no matter how strong the stomach muscle, a back ache is potentially only a couple of days away.
    Does it hurt you to sprint or anything like that? more along the lines of conditioning and not cardio

^ I was a competitive distance runner back in the day.... french, germans, italians... raced em all. Some pretty fast blokes I'll tell ya. anyways, my knees are shot because of it, so no running for me anymore. Even back then, my back would ache while running, but I was only 160lbs back then, so I just suffered through it. But some of what I've got i've had since birth, except for the arthritas. It's not a conditioning issue. It's not a cardio issue. My back can ache if standing in line at Disney Land too long. I'd call it a "fukked up" issue.

^ I was a competitive distance runner back in the day.... french, germans, italians... raced em all. Some pretty fast blokes I'll tell ya. anyways, my knees are shot because of it, so no running for me anymore. Even back then, my back would ache while running, but I was only 160lbs back then, so I just suffered through it. But some of what I've got i've had since birth, except for the arthritas. It's not a conditioning issue. It's not a cardio issue. My back can ache if standing in line at Disney Land too long. I'd call it a "fukked up" issue.
    Did you say you had scoliosis in a earlier post or was that someone else? i have a friend with it and theres ALOT he cant do, and he cant run for shit or jump for shit, then i got another friend who just has back pains but still can do most but i think in his case is a real weak core, abs and back. like today we were messing around with box jumps and him and i both hit a 42 inch box then my other friend with scoliosis cant even jump without his knees or back popping, poor guy. but with the conditioning i was doing alot of strongman stuff for conditioning, hill sprints, chain/sled drags etc and i feel great besides the little back injury im dealing with. Another question, do you have any tips on getting your pecs real warmed up? i cant seem to get mine warmed up good enough the last few weeks.

Did you say you had scoliosis in a earlier post or was that someone else? i have a friend with it and theres ALOT he cant do, and he cant run for shit or jump for shit, then i got another friend who just has back pains but still can do most but i think in his case is a real weak core, abs and back. like today we were messing around with box jumps and him and i both hit a 42 inch box then my other friend with scoliosis cant even jump without his knees or back popping, poor guy. but with the conditioning i was doing alot of strongman stuff for conditioning, hill sprints, chain/sled drags etc and i feel great besides the little back injury im dealing with. Another question, do you have any tips on getting your pecs real warmed up? i cant seem to get mine warmed up good enough the last few weeks.
    Personally I have always found push-ups are one of the best ways to warm up the pecs alternating from wide/narrow hand positions. Not to narrow or you are mostly working the triceps. Dips are also great for hitting the lower pecs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information