Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Blood Donation: A little shocked about some news....

...There was a blood drive at my daughters new highschool (next year), so I went to check it out. for the last 25 years or so, i've been banned from giving blood due to living in germany in the early 80's. but this is supposed to expire after 25 years from date of last residency. I went in and asked the guy if I'm in the clear. NO, he said. It's permenant. I can never donate blood until they change the donar registration form. The questions hint at it around question 29. but if you've answered YES to the question, have you lived in Europe in the 80's, then they will verbally ask you what country. Once you say any country on the list, then you're done.

So if i want to get bled, i either need to learn to do it myself, or ask my doc to let a nurse do it for me.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    There are still places that will not allow gay men to give blood. Some places have restrictions for example if you haven't had anal/oral sex with another man for one year then you can donate. Again another retarded law. I wonder how many men/women/child died because they didn't have enough blood or the right type. I wonder what a patient would say when asked: You can have "gay blood" or die which would you like?
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Its weird that they won't let you give blood for being in another country and wrong that they won't Let gay people do it. There's no difference between gay peoples blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Its weird that they won't let you give blood for being in another country and wrong that they won't Let gay people do it. There's no difference between gay peoples blood.
    they think I may have "mad cow's disease"

and the fear of the gay blood is might have aids. all i can think of. but instead of asking someone about their sexual activity, better would be to come straight out and ask if they have hiv/aids?

i'm sure the screen for hiv/aids??

or am i wrong?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    they think I may have "mad cow's disease"

and the fear of the gay blood is might have aids. all i can think of. but instead of asking someone about their sexual activity, better would be to come straight out and ask if they have hiv/aids?

i'm sure the screen for hiv/aids??

or am i wrong?
    I might have to agree with them about you possibly having mad cow

They can screen for HIV/AIDS but the problem is that HIV can go undetected for up to 6 months even though the person is infected.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I might have to agree with them about you possibly having mad cow

They can screen for HIV/AIDS but the problem is that HIV can go undetected for up to 6 months even though the person is infected.
    touche!

ok, so let me ask this...

currently, what is the difference in the infection rate between gay and straight?

I know a couple of decades ago it was an issue, but is it an issue today?

Vettester is offline Banned
    TR, talk to your doc, they might be able to do something for you. I think you are at Kaiser if not mistaken? Give em a try.

black6 is offline New Member
    went through the same thing. I was only off by a month to their standards so now I just say no. Everyone I talked to said it was a 1 in a billion chance anyways so being one moth off I think Im in the clear. The funny question I think is the one about "being with another guy? Even once?" Like "oh yeah, that one time in..." I think that would be something you would remember pretty well. Just funny how they ask twice in the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    TR, talk to your doc, they might be able to do something for you. I think you are at Kaiser if not mistaken? Give em a try.
    good memory. yes, kaiser. I'm over due. it's been 4 months since last time i gave blood...

Blog Entries
    touche!

ok, so let me ask this...

currently, what is the difference in the infection rate between gay and straight?

I know a couple of decades ago it was an issue, but is it an issue today?
    Infection rates are higher for gay men when it comes to having sex. Anal sex increases the infection rate a lot more than compared to vaginal sex.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Lifetime ban if you lived in Germany? Acquired CJD (or 'mad cow") usually manifests itself within 12 years, and from the time of onset of symptoms you are usually dead within 3-4 months. Interestingly enough, there are other forms of CJD, such as Hereditary CJD, whereby the Prion is formed because of a genetic predisposition/abnormality. Prions are extremely interesting, they are simply misfolded proteins, which, when they come into contact with other proteins in the brain also cause them to fold in an abnormal and unfavorable way. Most proteins denature (lose their structure and amino acid bonds break) at around 106-110 *F, whereas Prions can survive temperature well above 300 *F, which is why those infected with Prions present such a hazard in the disposle of the body, because even after decomposition the proteins can survive in the soil, well, indefinitely.

Razor is offline Banned
    Dont they ask you before giving blood if you have ever used GH, if you check yes, they dont take your blood.
    I swear I remember this last time there was a blood drive in my area.

Vettester is offline Banned
    good memory. yes, kaiser. I'm over due. it's been 4 months since last time i gave blood...
    It's got to be the pregenolone treatment portion of my HRT therapy. Either that or the state ordered shock therapy sessions are coming around

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    lol you just spent a year in Afghanistan. You my friend are banned for life from giving blood

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Lifetime ban if you lived in Germany? Acquired CJD (or 'mad cow") usually manifests itself within 12 years, and from the time of onset of symptoms you are usually dead within 3-4 months. Interestingly enough, there are other forms of CJD, such as Hereditary CJD, whereby the Prion is formed because of a genetic predisposition/abnormality. Prions are extremely interesting, they are simply misfolded proteins, which, when they come into contact with other proteins in the brain also cause them to fold in an abnormal and unfavorable way. Most proteins denature (lose their structure and amino acid bonds break) at around 106-110 *F, whereas Prions can survive temperature well above 300 *F, which is why those infected with Prions present such a hazard in the disposle of the body, because even after decomposition the proteins can survive in the soil, well, indefinitely.
    yes. the question was added to the panel many years ago, and never stipulated a sunset limitation (# of years). Until they remove the question, I'm a "non-donor".

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    lol you just spent a year in Afghanistan. You my friend are banned for life from giving blood
    You know, i asked that very same question about my living there. They said it's a non issue. go figure

Thread Information