Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life

Guns: Open discussion

Seems like a lot of us on this forum have an interest in guns and hijack random threads talking about them, so here's a thread for anything guns.

I'm lookin at a Glock 19 (compact 9mm) n a Glock 23 (compact .40)..
    looking to get a gun the gf can shoot as well...

I've heard the 9mm are weak n won't go through thin doors or sheet metal (ex. locker door)

I've also heard that ppl with 9mm will use heavy weight hollow's with extra propellant to make up for the weak standard 9mm shells.. anyone have experience with this?

The Glock 27 gen 4 I talked to a few of you guys about was just too small...
    My hands aren't very large, and on the subcompact, even with a mag extender, I had no room for my pinky n it just felt odd.

The Gen 4 grip however is far superior to a Gen 3.. much more comfortable

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i got my g19 back in 94 and have proabably put 100,000 rounds through it since then..no probs to this day.

the plus p or +p ammo you speak of does use more pressure to project the bullet faster but a heavier bullet doesn't mean more power. as per the corbon self defense jhp loads:

9mm luger 90gr +P = velocity 1500 fps and energy 450ftlbs
    9mm luger 115gr+P = velocity 1350fps and energy 466ftlbs
    9mm luger 125gr+P = velocity 1250fps and energy 434ftlbs

i use the 115gr for self defense

my g19 has no prob penetrating a 55gal drum at 25 ft.

ahh thanks for clearin that up bro.. I'm still lookin in to the +p ammo n that guide clears a bit up for me

have you shot a glock .40? how did it compare?

I've fired a glock 23 (.40) many times, but never the 9mm

the .40's are fine and have more recoil of course. i prefer the 9mm because to me it's more accurate and i like that it's compact and holds 21 rounds

http://www.corbon.com/images/stories...DefenseJHP.pdf here's corbons spec sheet for jacketed hollow point loads

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    and holds 21 rounds
    I like .45s personally but there is a lot to be said for ^^^that kind of capacity.

thx man.. it's good to hear someone else talk positively about a 9.. I've talked to a bunch of ppl from LE to gun collectors n everyone talks about the 9mm like it's a kids toy..

for recoil purposes, it would be a lot easier for my gf to shoot.. n increased accuracy is a definite plus

lol yeah...i've heard it all. i love a .45 and a 10mm. but it's just easier to controll a smaller caliber. what good is a .45 if you can't hit anything? the more you have to shoot, the more control you will lose and like i said, i like a high ammo count. not to mention 9mm ammo is ubiquitous and cheap.

Vettester is offline Banned
    My primary carry firearm is a Ruger LC9 9mm. No worries on how effective it will be if ever needed, and definitely more confidence over my .40 due to the recoil subject.

that LC9 is a sweet gun.. I personally have not fired one, but the look/design is nice

I was lookin at an one before I got stuck on glocks. Maybe I'll see if the local range has 1 to rent out, they are much more reasonably priced than the Gen 4 Glocks I'm lookin at

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I just need to get something for home defense in case a cop breaks in.

^^^^lmao.

DanB is offline Banned
    whats a glock 37 rated like over there?

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    This bastard can shoot two bullets to two different targets, and to you it sounds like 1 shot. watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7HN7...eature=related

JuicyJ is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE
    This bastard can shoot two bullets to two different targets, and to you it sounds like 1 shot. watch.
    By far the most impressive thing iv seen in a while.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I just need to get something for home defense in case a cop breaks in.
    I almost spit my food I was eating when i read this laughing

I like 12 gauge cause it speaks the universal language chinese russian whatever everyone understands what that sound means when you cock it

Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    whats a glock 37 rated like over there?
    it's a full size .45 G.A.P

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g37

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Any of you guys watch Top Shot on the History Channel? It's one of my favorite shows!

thehulk2203 is offline Junior Member
    My first gun I bought was the glock 23 then 2 years later I bought a 1911 45 so know my fiance carries the glock if your looking for home defence as mentioned above 12gauge is the best

I use trip wires for home defense. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade
    I use trip wires for home defense. LOL
    not a bad idea..

Wanna come by n hang out for a bit? pay no attention to the thin wire behind the door..

grumpee is offline Associate Member
    No one has any hunting rifles ? I never owned a hand gun and never will since their only purpose is to kill people and I have a bad temper so I know better, lol

I have a handful of hunting rifles tho. 25-06, 270 short mag, 300 win mag, 300 ultra mag and a 375 h&h, all exept the 25-06 and 375 are set up for long range hunting out to 1000 yards.

BrownGirl wanta a 25-06, but I think I'm gonna buy her a 243 instead once we move back south. I have a 270. I used to have a lot more, but I've gotten out of gun hunting and now I'm all about bow hunting.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpee View Post
    No one has any hunting rifles ? I never owned a hand gun and never will since their only purpose is to kill people and I have a bad temper so I know better, lol

I have a handful of hunting rifles tho. 25-06, 270 short mag, 300 win mag, 300 ultra mag and a 375 h&h, all exept the 25-06 and 375 are set up for long range hunting out to 1000 yards.
    My next gun will be a hunting rifle, but not sure which one yet. They can still be used to kill people, might as well be well armed, I mean a pistol is only good short range anyways.

thehulk2203 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpee

I have one just bought it mosin nagant also have a AK47, mossberg88 pump, three pistols and that's it so far

Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    that LC9 is a sweet gun.. I personally have not fired one, but the look/design is nice

I was lookin at an one before I got stuck on glocks. Maybe I'll see if the local range has 1 to rent out, they are much more reasonably priced than the Gen 4 Glocks I'm lookin at
    For conceal carry, it's a great pistol, but the new Glocks are nice too! Don't think you will lose either way. They have the newer LC9's with the laser guides on them if that is of any interest. I think that option adds another $50.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08

For conceal carry, it's a great pistol, but the new Glocks are nice too! Don't think you will lose either way. They have the newer LC9's with the laser guides on them if that is of any interest. I think that option adds another $50.
    definitely gonna put a laser on whatever I get..
    that's a hell of a deal for the laser option... runs about $250 on a glock..

The LC9's with factory added LaserMax is going for around $400 out the door. I can't add any aftermarket items to my pistols, at least to the ones listed on my conceal license.

Not sure if the Glocks have night sights, but that's another good option to look for. My Kimber Eclipse Ultra II has them, and it definitely would help if you had a situation where there's limited lighting.

frank13 is offline "AR's Official Turkey Bacon Expert"
    s&w body guard 380 runs 400 bucks it would be a good gun to start with it has a laser and all that stuff if your into that and great gun for conceal and carry

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08
    The LC9's with factory added LaserMax is going for around $400 out the door. I can't add any aftermarket items to my pistols, at least to the ones listed on my conceal license.

Not sure if the Glocks have night sights, but that's another good option to look for. My Kimber Eclipse Ultra II has them, and it definitely would help if you had a situation where there's limited lighting.
    that's a good point about the license, I'm not sure what my state's laws are on that.

I was lookin at some Trijicon Night Sights for it. I've heard good things about em.
    Last edited by jasc; 03-07-2012 at 08:10 PM.

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    I personally loves Sig Sauer's guns. P226 my favorite one.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianVodka View Post
    I personally loves Sig Sauer's guns. P226 my favorite one.
    Sigs are great too!!! That will be one of my next purchases. The P226 X-Five Competition is very NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    BrownGirl wanta a 25-06, but I think I'm gonna buy her a 243 instead once we move back south. I have a 270. I used to have a lot more, but I've gotten out of gun hunting and now I'm all about bow hunting.
    Those are both great shooting guns. what bow you shoot ? Im still hunting with my Hoyt Katera xl but been seriously looking at the new hoyt matrix

You got some good deer and elk hunting there in northern Nevada. When I lived in vegas during the 90's I did a lot of hunting in northern Nevada in mostly unit 10, 6 and 7
    Last edited by grumpee; 03-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    My next gun will be a hunting rifle, but not sure which one yet. They can still be used to kill people, might as well be well armed, I mean a pistol is only good short range anyways.
    .270 and a .308 are some of the best all around hunting guns out there. Might take a look at those calibers
    Last edited by grumpee; 03-08-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I almost spit my food I was eating when i read this laughing

I like 12 gauge cause it speaks the universal language chinese russian whatever everyone understands what that sound means when you cock it
    You think it speaks Hick Cop without a Warrant? Or do I need something a little more powerful?

ddp2727 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong

You think it speaks Hick Cop without a Warrant? Or do I need something a little more powerful?
    It doesn't get much more powerful for close range. You could always go with the 10 gauge but that might knock you on your a$$ if you are shooting with adrenaline kicking. But a 12 gauge at about 15 feet away with 00 buckshot will do so much damage. I've seen #2 shot from a 12 gauge at 15 feet away and it put a hole in the ballistics gel that was 4 inches in diameter. That's some damage my friend.

JAB1 is offline Member
    I agree 12 gauge is best for home definse. I like rem 870. For carry 9mm is fine. Remember your not a leo chasing a bad guy shooting through barriers, etc, in fact over penetration is a bigger concern than under. If you ever have to use it it will be a couple feet away at best as your being attacked. Most important after reliability is something small that you will actually carry all the time. After that its code of arms that work for you, sa, da, 1911, safety, no safety, etc. Get a platform you are comfortable with, will actually carry, and can pull and fire with one hand under stress of a close quarter attack in about 1 or 2 seconds.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    The 9mm is a nice gun the miltary went to it beacuse it dont kick so bad.And seeing more and more women are in the miltary they had to do something.But the special forces are going back to the 45 for the same reason they dropped the 38.The round doesnt have the knock down power of the 45.You hit a guy with a 45 he is down.You hit him with a 9mm or a 38 he is still coming at you.Long live the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpee View Post
    Those are both great shooting guns. what bow you shoot ? Im still hunting with my Hoyt Katera xl but been seriously looking at the new hoyt matrix

You got some good deer and elk hunting there in northern Nevada. When I lived in vegas during the 90's I did a lot of hunting in northern Nevada in mostly unit 10, 6 and 7
    Right now I'm shooting a Matthew's Z-Max. It's about time for a new Bow and out of all of them I've been shooting I'm most impressed with the Bow-Tech Assassin. 600.00 for the RAK System and you're good to go. I would probably change the rest, but other than that it's a really good value. When I move to Arkansas this'll be the first thing I buy.

I've actually never been hunting in Nevada. I take a trip to Arkansas/Oklahoma every year for 2-4 weeks during deer season and spend most of that time in a tree stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information