Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomini is offline Banned

So... deadlift is 355 lbs. for 9 reps as of today.

So i've finally worked my way up to and far beyond my 315 lb sticking point I had for a while. I'm up to 355 for 9 reps as of 2 hours ago. Last week's back workout was for 8 reps, and the week before that 350 lbs. for 10. Training in a slightly modified Mentzer style HIT routine, and 1st working set to failure is the 355 lbs, rest 5 minutes, then I strip 40 lbs and belt out more reps to failure, then drop that down to 225 lbs immediately after for a set of 6 (usually hitting failure at 6 reps by this point). My form is perfect, cadence is slow compared to how most people deadlift.

I mention this because at what point do we say to ourselves "okay... i'm hauling some really heavy weight here on an exercise that is relatively high risk, do I keep pushing the envelope?". Because, this is some pretty heavy weight. Granted, i'm lifting it within my limits and keeping my form incredible... but where is the limit? When I hit a permanent sticking point? lol

Anyone else here ever run into asking themselves this question? And my progress is only steadily rising here on my deadlifts, I see no sticking point in sight in the near future here.

And by the way, I am off cycle right now too! It's been 1 week after my PCT finished. All these strength gains have been DURING my PCT period, how funny is that.

Crap, I thought I posted this in the training forum, I had so many windows open. Oh well, i'll probably get more replies here anyways lol.

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Very nice. What grip do you use? I prefer the over-under grip. 455lbs for 2 clean reps no belt or lifting straps is my best.

I use over-under, and no belts here but I do use lifting straps. If I didn't use straps, I would probably reach 5 or 6 reps before my grip starts giving out.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    I'm a bit behind you on this one. Tuesday I pulled 315 for 6 which wasn't to complete failure worked my way up to 385 for 1 on the 6th set. Shooting for as close to 450 as I can before summers end.

As far as a stopping point goes I personally don't see a need as long as form is tight then you just go up. If you work up past your desired rep range then you add enough to bring you back into the range you wanna work in.

There are a lot worse things we could be using to destroy our bodies than iron.

xXthehulkXx is offline Associate Member
    Pr on deads for me is 500 for 5x5. Over under grip with only chalk. Going to try for 600 soon.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    I can't get past 315lb again I was above it for a while but now I am just dead stuck at 4 reps -.-

Quote Originally Posted by xXthehulkXx
    Pr on deads for me is 500 for 5x5. Over under grip with only chalk. Going to try for 600 soon.
    I believe I have some mass to put on before I can think about weight like that. I'm still tiny at 160. Never the less that's an impressive pr you have there. Best of luck on the 600!

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    I'm a bit behind you on this one. Tuesday I pulled 315 for 6 which wasn't to complete failure worked my way up to 385 for 1 on the 6th set. Shooting for as close to 450 as I can before summers end.

As far as a stopping point goes I personally don't see a need as long as form is tight then you just go up. If you work up past your desired rep range then you add enough to bring you back into the range you wanna work in.

There are a lot worse things we could be using to destroy our bodies than iron.
    I hear you, and I was thinking the same thing: long as form is good, i'm good to go. But man, lifting that stuff... you really feel that weight. You know you're lifting heavy heavy stuff, and one wrong movement, twist, jerk, or pushing one more rep to try and go beyond failure might pull something with the weight i'm hauling... kind of disconcerting. The mentality to just begin the set is ominous, lol, I have to get myself into that mindset in the 60 seconds while i'm setting my hands down on the bar before I lift that bar.

Though, I have never seriously injured myself doing deads. Only thing that ever happened was a minor lower back muscle pull that healed in a week or 2. It resulted from me trying to do rest-pause sets pushing BEYOND failure when I was CUTTING.

With things like deads I stop at failure and don't try to push past it. Plus I consider it to be failure on deads as soon as I feel my form break because it is a high risk movement. I'm not willing to take the risk of breaking form to pull one more rep.

John Andrew is offline Member
    I use straps because unlike competition bars the bars here are so smooth you are holding butter. My best this year was 605lbs and I am 56. Deads are great but you will find failure does happen because you vary in strength. Just warm up and warm up and warm up!!!!!! Please. Sometimes i do large numbers of reps, eg. 15 - 20 for a few weeks at say 300 lbs then go to low reps and high weights. I know I need to very my routine. My intention is to pull 300 kg's this year. that's 660 lbs. Up till now I have managed to be stronger every age division. Who knows maybe 500kgs at age 100! [joke] Regards John

John those are some really impressive numbers! What are your physical stats (height, weight, bodyfat %)? And would you consider yourself to have a wider/stronger hip structure than most?

I am one of those with wider hip structures, (impossible for me to have that V shape when all leaned out). However, I find that those who have larger hip structures tend to be able to deadlift a whole lot more and are prone to far less injury than those who have tiny waist and hip structures. Everyone I know with small hip structure are considerably less capable in comparison, and tend to be more injury prone.

I find its a tradeoff. If you are born lucky with those genetics for pencil thin waist, you look great but strength suffers with deadlifts and similar exercises. Vice versa for those of us who are born with larger waist structures.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Very true...its easy for me to stay lean with my small waist but lifting serious weight took me a long long time

It makes sense from a physics standpoint. If you have a thinner/weaker structure at the pivot point (in this case the primary pivot point is the hip joint, secondary is the knee joint), it makes sense that it would not be able to lift as heavy of a weight at the moment arm. The heavier the weight, the more stress on the structure at the pivot point. Building/strengthening muscles supporting the area there should increase the capability and stress tolerance but only to a certain point.

I guess you small waist people look better, but we larger hipped can lift more lol.

Brick is offline Member
    Just keep lifting it!

Personally I never dead to failure. I will always stop one before failure. For example if I just get out my 8th rep and don't think (90% confidence) that I won't succeed on a 9th rep I will stop. I do this because, for me, form tends to fall off a bit when you are fatigued aka hitting failure.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Nice work, I know what it is like to gain strength it takes ages to strengthen the DL I think. But when you do it is worth it a lot. I'd like to finish up at 400lb's sometime soon.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I picked up the back end of a small pick up truck one time shortly before going in the army. that count?

(it was tough too! you really have to pick it up high to accomodate shock absorber travel length)

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    I picked up the back end of a small pick up truck one time shortly before going in the army. that count?

(it was tough too! you really have to pick it up high to accomodate shock absorber travel length)
    Good fulcrum point on those pick ups!

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Do you guys do hypers (roman chair) exercises or back extension machine? I find if I don't make these part of my regular routine my lower back doesn't feel real good about deadlifting.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Crap shit, I'm 120 pounds behind.

I just started doing them for the first time. I seem to be going up quick. But, I'm focusing on the form more than the weight for right now.

stpete is offline Banned
    And you need to keep strict form Samson as Atomoni pointed out in original. You don't want to mess w/your back. I believe that low row cables and Good Mornings help w/my deads. But i do those for a few workouts then do some deads at a later date. They wear me out anymore. And it's only 1 of 2 exercises i wear a belt while doing.

labuski is offline Junior Member
    Good job atom

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've always been strongest in deadlifts. I can easily pull 160kg for a couple clean sets of 5-8.
    My highest 1rep was 185kg (407lbs). If I do rack lifts, from just below my knee, I can rep with 200kg (440lbs) for 5reps.
    I have a thick waist though.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

don't you mean horse drawn carriage?

Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    And you need to keep strict form Samson as Atomoni pointed out in original. You don't want to mess w/your back. I believe that low row cables and Good Mornings help w/my deads. But i do those for a few workouts then do some deads at a later date. They wear me out anymore. And it's only 1 of 2 exercises i wear a belt while doing.
    Good mornings really help you with deads? I have never done any direct lower back work in about 6 or 7 years. I've let deads handle it all. The last exercise I did back then for lower back was hyperextensions. How do you incorporate good mornings into your routine? Do you do them on back day? Before or after deads? If not on back day, when?

red_hulk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini

Good mornings really help you with deads? I have never done any direct lower back work in about 6 or 7 years. I've let deads handle it all. The last exercise I did back then for lower back was hyperextensions. How do you incorporate good mornings into your routine? Do you do them on back day? Before or after deads? If not on back day, when?
    I love good mornings as a light lower back, they definitely help build strength for deads. I personally do them after deads on back day

stpete is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    Yes they do. I think that(and might be wrong) incorporating a heavy workout in between 2-3 moderate workouts is what a person should do to keep or gain weight. By that, i mean all dependent on diet and goals. Mine is always simple. I try as best i can to NEVER decrease in pounds i lift. Sometime's you have to lower the weight though to keep intensity high. And high reps i'm a fan of.

I do Good Mornings then deads like 2 weeks apart. A staple of my back routine is wide grip pulldowns. But i prefer cable low rows(close grip palms facing each other) for good strength. They really work. And if i want overall lat strength i use bent over DB's.

Like i said, i could be wrong and different exercises for everyone.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    I just pulled 405lbs x 4 for first working set and 405lbs x 3 for second set. I had more in me but my grip failed.

No straps, no belt, over under grip.

Stats: 6'2", 217lbs, 10%ish BF

SoccerRat is offline New Member
    I did 315 x 4 last week for a PB. Stats: 165lbs at 5'8".

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I did not read the thread, just want to stress that lifts like those are impressive, but dude your possibly putting a catalyst type of strain on your body causing advanced arthritis, just food for thought for the future, once the damage is done(you will not know until its to late) there is no reversing it. just speaking from my own EXP

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Deads i never did until this year. even now when im doing them theres a thought in the back of my head thinking i hope nothing pops this time. i dont go heavy with them. the most i do is 315lbs. im sure im capable of more. i can bench (315 x 4) and squat (495 x 8) weighing 198lbs 12%bf.

i dont think ill ever go over 315 unless it just gets too easy. the old back is not something i wanna screw up!

Well well well, I have to update my last post:

Pulled 495lbs x 1 last night, no gloves, no straps, no chalk, no belt.

Still 6'2", 220lbs, 10-12%ish bf

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357 View Post

Well done [=

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357

No straps! Wow great pull

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    No straps! Wow great pull
    I got a video of it. Wonder if I should put it up.

I got a video of it. Wonder if I should put it up.
    '

I would like to see it, you could always Youtube it and pm the link to people that your happy to show it too you dont want it public.

Here it is. It's unlisted on YouTube so we can keep it within the family. Hehe.

Last edited by ReX357; 11-15-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wh1spa View Post
    '

I would like to see it, you could always Youtube it and pm the link to people that your happy to show it too you dont want it public.
    I'm in Canada so it's not a big deal.

I'm in Canada so it's not a big deal.
    Yeah cos no-one wants to go to Canada.. Lol.

Looks good mate, cheers for upload [=

red_hulk is offline Member
    Nice pull dude, made it look easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information