Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Just back from the range with my daughter and have a question..........

So I taught my daughter how to fire a pistol today, a real nice 9mm. I had some fun with a S&W .357 and then a 44. This bloke walks in next to my daughter with an assualt rifle and began firing off rounds.

Ordinarily, I enjoy the smell of gunpowder.

But this bloke's rounds emitted an amonia aroma and i was wondering what in the hell type gunpowder emits an amonia smell?

weird

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Damn! I'm jealous. I've fired riffles, never a hand gun. So how was she? Better than dad I bet!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Damn! I'm jealous. I've fired riffles, never a hand gun. So how was she? Better than dad I bet!
    she did great! very receptive to my coaching, didn't get flustered, didn't get jumpy/nervous like i thought she might. and then i showed her that the entire weight of the pistol needs to be supported by the left hand, not one ounce supported by the right. didn't get into the slow squeeze or the breathing, save that for next time. kept her at 25' and she blasted the shit outta that bad guy!!!

but im still curious about the amonia smell from that assualt rifle. what kind of gunpowder give off an amonia smell on discharge?

Not sure about ammonia. Still trying to wrap my head around Little GI Jane and her bad a$$ papa.

Remind me never to be on either of your bad sides

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Not sure about ammonia. Still trying to wrap my head around Little GI Jane and her bad a$$ papa.

Remind me never to be on either of your bad sides
    ha ha ha!

my days of serious marksmanship were over when i left the military aloooong time agoo.

now i do it for fun, and then maybe only once a year.

and damn! although an indoor range, i dropped $150 due to gun rentals, 4 boxes of ammo, range fees...........

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman

ha ha ha!

my days of serious marksmanship were over when i left the military aloooong time agoo.

now i do it for fun, and then maybe only once a year.

and damn! although an indoor range, i dropped $150 due to gun rentals, 4 boxes of ammo, range fees...........
    But is it true....you can take a man out of the military but you can't take the military out of the man???

Paint me a flowery picture....I'm still not messing with you and Rambo Girl

Wow....$150....I've had happier endings that cost less!!! Lol

the 44 ammo was around $40 a box.

she handled the 9mm very well. I could have started her off on some nothing .22, but once she started tapping away, i was glad with my decision.

the 44 ammo was around $40 a box.

she handled the 9mm very well. I could have started her off on some nothing .22, but once she started tapping away, i was glad with my decision.
    And how old is this sniper of yours??????

my daughter turned 14 today

so my gift to her, amongst other things, was we went out to bfast, then bookstore for a couple of books, range today, and resturant her choice tonight.

haterade is offline Associate Member
    was it an ar type rifle?? i was curious after my bud and myself shot his ar and the rounds smelled like ammonia.. i found mixed opinions on this as i asked around on the ar forum and some said it was the powder degrading and old .. i was advised not to use it.. others stated that it was just the formula of the powder that emitted the ammonia smell.. what they were saying was ammonia nitrate is used as powder..

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    I've heard of people saying this stuff smells like that, http://www.wolfammo.com/

We have an outdoor range here that is free, its such a dump though but that's ok, I want my daughter to learn young, and understand what guns are and how to defend herself or others. I only have a couple guns, working on what I want to get next, definitely need more.

Quote Originally Posted by haterade View Post
    was it an ar type rifle?? i was curious after my bud and myself shot his ar and the rounds smelled like ammonia.. i found mixed opinions on this as i asked around on the ar forum and some said it was the powder degrading and old .. i was advised not to use it.. others stated that it was just the formula of the powder that emitted the ammonia smell.. what they were saying was ammonia nitrate is used as powder..
    yes, it was more of an AR type rifle, vaguely resembling an M16

Quote Originally Posted by CougarSix View Post
    Who's it made by, mine is rock river arms, made in Illinois I think, solid rifle, was thinking of swapping firing pens and filing one down to go full auto for out on the ranch and getting a snail drum mag and going fml on some coyotes.

"It's not living as such that's important, It's living rightly"
    don't know the manufacture, it's not mine and the bloke popped in and out so quick. i think he worked there.

someone brought in their own pistol, and would discharge three rounds with each trigger pull. problem is, the pistol was a piece of shiit, and it looked pretty dangerous to me. i told the bloke he shouldn't be firing that here, as there is no rapid fire, and didn't look like he had it all the way under control. he was pretty good about it and stopped.

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    i think its real cool you brought your daughter TR. im going for my firearms license and hunting license August 10 weekend. here in canada you need a license for a rifle and a restricted license for a pistol. dont know about you guys

here in cali all weapons need to be registered. if you want to carry, you need a license, which is extremely difficult to get in my county, else you have to keep the piece locked in the trunk, and the ammo in the glove box or something.

only cops and criminals get to carry here. law abiding citizen is a sitting duck!!!!

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    ya we cant carry here either. we just got rid of the gun registry act thing not to long ago so we dont have to do that when buying anymore

ever have a weapon stolen?

was moving one time (one of the many many times) and made the huge mistake of not keeping an eye my mosburg shotgun in a case. a few months later, I tried to locate my shotgun but couldnt' find it. can only imagine the tweeker mover guys stole it.

capetown is offline Senior Member
    It was second grade ammo. Strong smell and doesn't do the rifle justice

Quote Originally Posted by capetown View Post
    It was second grade ammo. Strong smell and doesn't do the rifle justice
    second grade ammo? what does that mean?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ahh now I'm starting to have withdrawals. I have not been out shooting for a long time. I should get some amo and take my daughter out to play with my Luger and I can play with my Glock 22.

The AR brings back memories. I got my 1st deer using a military issue AR-15 that was loaned to me from a active Army private. Fun little rifle.

What I want to know is (besides the obvious) why this guy decided to slip in next to your daughter to shoot? Personally I would have been a little more respectful and given her some room as to not make her feel uncomfortable instead of trying to show off.

14 yr old daughter shooting at the range.... Hmmm only if I was 20 years younger. Then I would only be 15 years to old. LOL

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Second grade ammo.... Cheap ammo only used to target practice. Usually bought in bulk online. Made with low grade crappy materials.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    WTF is it with the Yanks and their goddam guns?

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.
    I know that shite but WTF is it with you Yanks and guns?

lol

lol w@nker

america, with all our drugs, is a fairly violent place, and the drugs produces aberrant behaivor. Put the two together, and there's some pretty nasty shiit that goes on here. Toss in a media that glorifies guns (look at all the action movies and cop movies with all the gun battles), and then consider a police force that tries to prevent the citizens from owning guns (so of course, using reverse psychology, we WANT them), AND an ineffectual police force that can't prevent crimes as they occur, and then ALL OF A SUDDEN GUNS ARE LOOKING PRETTY GOOD TO ME

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Ahh now I'm starting to have withdrawals. I have not been out shooting for a long time. I should get some amo and take my daughter out to play with my Luger and I can play with my Glock 22.

The AR brings back memories. I got my 1st deer using a military issue AR-15 that was loaned to me from a active Army private. Fun little rifle.

What I want to know is (besides the obvious) why this guy decided to slip in next to your daughter to shoot? Personally I would have been a little more respectful and given her some room as to not make her feel uncomfortable instead of trying to show off.

14 yr old daughter shooting at the range.... Hmmm only if I was 20 years younger. Then I would only be 15 years to old. LOL
    it was an indoor range, small, and he just grabbed the first station by the door. there were only 6 or 7 stations total, and it looked innocent to me

Quote Originally Posted by paulzane
    It's okay.....the Canadians have better beer

(and education and healthcare....but I need to be careful here and not make Roman angry cuz he has a lot of guns and a tactical strike force headed by a 14 year old daughter!!!!!)

america, with all our drugs, is a fairly violent place, and the drugs produces aberrant behaivor. Put the two together, and there's some pretty nasty shiit that goes on here. Toss in a media that glorifies guns (look at all the action movies and cop movies with all the gun battles), and then consider a police force that tries to prevent the citizens from owning guns (so of course, using reverse psychology, we WANT them), AND an ineffectual police force that can't prevent crimes as they occur, and then ALL OF A SUDDEN GUNS ARE LOOKING PRETTY GOOD TO ME

it was an indoor range, small, and he just grabbed the first station by the door. there were only 6 or 7 stations total, and it looked innocent to me
    Roman's right. I moved to the US from Canada in 2003 and there have been many times here I wondered if I'd be safer with than without a gun.

......unfortunately I'd probably discharge the damn thing in my own face trying to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post

Another question to you Yanks ..... Why the fcuk do you have kill anything that fcukin moves?

I've been diving the Red Sea many times with the Brits and we just look at the fish and some guys take under water pictures. Then the Yanks turn up with their spear guns and go out and shoot fcuk out of everything in the sea! This happened any time the Yanks turned up ....w@nkers!

Another question to you Yanks ..... Why the fcuk do you have kill anything that fcukin moves?

I've been diving the Red Sea many times with the Brits and we just look at the fish and some guys take under water pictures. Then the Yanks turn up with their spear guns and go out and shoot fcuk out of everything in the sea! This happened any time the Yanks turned up ....w@nkers!
    not me mate! If I kill something, it goes on the dinner table.

but this will make you laugh, the only mammal i've ever killed were the rabbits i was raising

ac guy is offline Associate Member
    Why the **** do other countries worry so much about what we do????

And as far as smell, my .223 reloads using 844 powder produce an odor like you described. Good rounds, just stinky. I have some pistol powders that do the same.

i guess that helps explain the results of the american revolution..

where are you from again?

silentlucidity is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery13 View Post
    Second grade ammo.... Cheap ammo only used to target practice. Usually bought in bulk online. Made with low grade crappy materials.
    Exactly. My AR15 has that smell from cheap ammo. But I bought a thousand rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by hitit View Post

rotflmao

Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post

where are you from again?
    We have grown up since then!!

UK

We have grown up since then!!

UK
    fox hunts? at least the fish can swim away and have a chance

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Modern smokeless powder is composed of various types of nitrocellulose. That 'nitro' means it has nitrogen. If you're smelling ammonia, that's because it has degraded and some of the nitrogen in the powder has reacted to form ammonia. You can be sure that, whatever happened to it, it won't have the same burn characteristics that it's supposed to, and more importantly, you won't know what the current burn characteristics are (or even if they are uniform). Using it would be most unwise. I love my guns more than my aas. I shot my capebuffalo with a .470 nitro express double.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information