SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member

I benched this much in high school

F M L, seriously annoys me when someone says, well the most I ever benched was in high school, then proceeds to say how much it was and how they never worked out just went and did it.

Anways, talking to coworker about how much I was eating, everyone takes notice that I eat a lot more than them, and did even when I was losing weight. And told him how I didn't care if I gained some weight, it takes that much to just cure my appetite and not lose weight. Of course he says "I would rather be losing weight." So I told him how much I have gained recently and I can 5 rep my old 1RM max of 345 lbs, and that I was perfectly fine with some weight gain if my lifts all kept going up. TO which he replied with the statement above about how much he benched in high school and the story behind it. Of course he said he benched 350 lbs in high school. His buddy who lifted a lot tried it and couldn't get it, then my coworker who never benched once in his life went in and unwracked it and pressed with ease then rewracked it. Then he proceeds to tell me it's all in your mind, and can do anything you put your mind to. WTFFFFFFFFFFF, looking at him now he would be lucky to bench 150 lbs or even do a push up. I held my tongue of course even though he probably is thinking in his mind he really did 350 and it's some easy task, and has no clue how much work I have put in to get to this point.

One of my friends from high school claimed to have benched over 300 as well, which I know was bs, I was 130 lbs roughly when I graduated and could beat him in arm wrestling, no way he was that strong. And I hear idiots pull this high school crap all the time. Maybe next time I will ask, "well what happened then? You should be benching 500 lbs by now buddy."

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    lol, i would have laughed at him and said great so you peaked at 16. Hows that working out for you now
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Razor is offline Banned
    I could barely lift my body weight in high school which was maybe a 140lbs. Today I pushed out 315. Fck highschool!

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    It's really hard for me to bite my tongue when I hear dumb ass shit like that. Why do people really need to make up total nonsense stories?

I never got that, I never even exaggerate. . . WTF is the point?

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by samson_420
    It's really hard for me to bite my tongue when I hear dumb ass shit like that. Why do people really need to make up total nonsense stories?

I never got that, I never even exaggerate. . . WTF is the point?
    Cause everyone you didnt go to high school with was prom king, golden gloves and varsity quaterback lol. Didn't you know that haha

The thing that annoys me right now is that if I had said I benched 245x5 he would have told his story about how he benched 250 lbs. He has no clue how hard 350 lbs is, let alone 250 lbs. And I probably should have laughed and came up with a funny remark, but I was too busy being dumfounded he would say that, makes no sense why he would even tell the story, it was probably 150 lbs anyways if it even happened.

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE
    The thing that annoys me right now is that if I had said I benched 245x5 he would have told his story about how he benched 250 lbs. He has no clue how hard 350 lbs is, let alone 250 lbs. And I probably should have laughed and came up with a funny remark, but I was too busy being dumfounded he would say that, makes no sense why he would even tell the story, it was probably 150 lbs anyways if it even happened.
    Just nod and smile in the end it does not matter

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would make him "put up" or "shut up"
    reminds me of a friends dad I talked to the other day that said he use to be able to do 85 full length pull ups in one try or hang when he was in the police academy 2 years ago. I called BS quickly. We went to the garage and he did 4, yes 4! I know many people out there but have not seen anyone pass 45 on a dead hang NO SWING or cross fit crap.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I think a lot of men do that story telling. I will never understand it.

I started putting on size and losing fat quickly when I got back into the gym early last year (years off with a back injury) and all of a sudden EVERYONE started telling me how freakishly huge and strong they were when they were younger. They were all bigger and stronger than me, of course.

GetItHot is offline Associate Member
    F High School.

Razor is offline Banned
    Everyone that was bigger than me in hs is now smaller than me or they got fat and out of shape. Life after shcool is the big equalizer, some rise and the rest fall after their "glory years" personally id rather be were I am now than be the big guy in school and and the fat guy in his 30s.

I look at their Facebook and I'm just like wow. What a mess

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    I think its all comes down to insecurity, they see how good/big you look and are jealous so they have to make them sound better then you or say they were better then you, I call them one uper's. I see it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyD View Post
    I think its all comes down to insecurity, they see how good/big you look and are jealous so they have to make them sound better then you or say they were better then you, I call them one uper's. I see it all the time.
    I could see this coming from him, his Ego can't handle someone being better than them.

And to put things differently if you were a woman. There are some that look amazing at 30 now, even more beautiful than as a teenager, and others you know the opposite. Of course prefer the long run in any case. I'm glad I have my lifestyle and value what I do, and that I have achieved so much in regards to my body.

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^^^^ yep, "one uppers" that's what I call em too, some people have perfected the art of "oneupmanship" if only the dipshits knew how stupid they really sounded.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    It was funny, I had this little guy at my last job tell me he benches 250+. I was like STFU fool. . . . He weighed 145 I believe. We started going to the gym together after work. He looked pretty ripped but nothing out of the ordinary, he was only like 20. This dude jumps on the bench, throws on the weights and just starts pushing 225 for a warm up. My jaw dropped. . . . lol

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD250 View Post
    ^^^^^ yep, "one uppers" that's what I call em too, some people have perfected the art of "oneupmanship" if only the dipshits knew how stupid they really sounded.
    sometimes i'll bait one just to see how much bs i can get out of em

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Tell him you can pull 35lbs with your dick.......

ImBlue is offline Junior Member
    Wow.. I have to admit in high school I was a bit nerdish.. was captain for the fencing team, but that wasn't in comparison to the lacrosse or football captain.. I was 90s lb I think and just bench pressed the bar.. that was nothing compared to the lacrosse or football guys, stacking plates upon plates.. But hell I squat and leg sled more then all those.. all that running.. I look at Facebook and see them all.. and the cheerleaders.. hell when I feel down I just go on Facebook and see what they all look like and what they do.. I actually feel good about myself.. Them weighing +100lbs or -100lbs cause of drugs, 6 kids and another one coming... I went to my first reunion 2 years ago.. I looked the same, maybe 40lbs heavier, but I looked healthy compared to them all.. lets just say Homecoming queen is not my fantasy anymore... and if someone paid me to hit that, I'm layering up 4 rubbers and duct tape

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    to the OP - I would have slapped him in the testicles

Vettester is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
    It was funny, I had this little guy at my last job tell me he benches 250+. I was like STFU fool. . . . He weighed 145 I believe. We started going to the gym together after work. He looked pretty ripped but nothing out of the ordinary, he was only like 20. This dude jumps on the bench, throws on the weights and just starts pushing 225 for a warm up. My jaw dropped. . . . lol
    Knew a guy kind of like that. When we were 18 (all those years ago), about 5 of us were at some place with an Olympic weight set. A few are working up to the 2 plate thing, when my friend tells us to put 3 plates on each side. Thought he was just BS'ing, then he pops out 6 reps without any warmup! He was probably 5'-10" and maybe 190lb, but nobody saw that coming. Hell, I never even saw him workout all the years I knew him. I remember he added at least 50lbs to that before we were through.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    how do you remember what you benched in highschool?

I think i was into martial arts my highschool years...

... i remember i mastered the spinning back kick in my sophomore year. I was quite proud of that.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    ^but who's gonna be afraid of a 130lb'er with a nice spinning back kick?

.... well, there is john claude van damme with a nice spinning back kick. he must weigh, what? 180?

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Lets see, the quarterback in my graduating class is a washed up junkie. The other handful of the most popular rich kids, they are either in jail, dropped out of college, fat, druggies, etc, take your pick. I was acquainted with most of them, but I had a group of 5-6 close friends who were all meatheads in high school, we were all 'known' but not the most popular in the school, and half of us are doing big things and in killer shape. At my HS the 'most popular' ones in school came from families whos names were well known, where the teachers had taught their parents, or their brothers and sisters, etc. So if you werent from a well known and wealthy family, then you were not included in that. But, as someone said above, post-HS is a HUGE equalizer.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Lets see, the quarterback in my graduating class is a washed up junkie. The other handful of the most popular rich kids, they are either in jail, dropped out of college, fat, druggies, etc, take your pick. I was acquainted with most of them, but I had a group of 5-6 close friends who were all meatheads in high school, we were all 'known' but not the most popular in the school, and half of us are doing big things and in killer shape. At my HS the 'most popular' ones in school came from families whos names were well known, where the teachers had taught their parents, or their brothers and sisters, etc. So if you werent from a well known and wealthy family, then you were not included in that. But, as someone said above, post-HS is a HUGE equalizer.
    That is very true. My whole school was really close we only had a graduating class of 100 and our highschool was three towns combined lol.

I remember I was on the minnesota state wrestling team and wrestled with a very wealthy kid. He thought his shit didnt stink and always called me a hillbilly etc. He is now rail thin from meth and is a convicted felon.
    Last edited by Hunter; 08-10-2012 at 01:42 AM.

abstetic is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter

That is very true. My whole school was really close we only had a graduating class of 100 and our highschool was three towns combined lol.

I remember I was on minnesota state wrestling team and wrestled with a very wealthy kid and thought his shit didnt stink and always called me a hillbilly etc. He is not rail thin from meth and is a convicted felon.
    And he would.... He is now... Lol just trying fix ur typos because it confused the hell out of me at first glance

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by abstetic View Post
    And he would.... He is now... Lol just trying fix ur typos because it confused the hell out of me at first glance
    I apologize that post is atrocious.

Hmm, I don't even keep up with anyone from high school, I don't even remember who was popular, or anything about these people, let alone follow them on facebook. I only know about a couple people, and they seem to be leading normal decent lives, but they weren't anything extreme in high school.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    F M L, seriously annoys me when someone says, well the most I ever benched was in high school, then proceeds to say how much it was and how they never worked out just went and did it.

Anways, talking to coworker about how much I was eating, everyone takes notice that I eat a lot more than them, and did even when I was losing weight. And told him how I didn't care if I gained some weight, it takes that much to just cure my appetite and not lose weight. Of course he says "I would rather be losing weight." So I told him how much I have gained recently and I can 5 rep my old 1RM max of 345 lbs, and that I was perfectly fine with some weight gain if my lifts all kept going up. TO which he replied with the statement above about how much he benched in high school and the story behind it. Of course he said he benched 350 lbs in high school. His buddy who lifted a lot tried it and couldn't get it, then my coworker who never benched once in his life went in and unwracked it and pressed with ease then rewracked it. Then he proceeds to tell me it's all in your mind, and can do anything you put your mind to. WTFFFFFFFFFFF, looking at him now he would be lucky to bench 150 lbs or even do a push up. I held my tongue of course even though he probably is thinking in his mind he really did 350 and it's some easy task, and has no clue how much work I have put in to get to this point.

One of my friends from high school claimed to have benched over 300 as well, which I know was bs, I was 130 lbs roughly when I graduated and could beat him in arm wrestling, no way he was that strong. And I hear idiots pull this high school crap all the time. Maybe next time I will ask, "well what happened then? You should be benching 500 lbs by now buddy."
    Hahaha yeah. I really hate those people who try to tell stories of what they allegedly USED to be. Bragging about being a shell of your former self is really pathetic. And who the f[u]ck cares about what somebody did in high school anyways?

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I played football on a team that was pretty talented. A lot of punks and thugs but they were good athletes and several of them were pretty strong in the gym. My first day in that locker room I got under a bench, 14yrs old and could barely move 135lbs. Then they set all the freshmen like me aside into our own group to weight train together four days a week during the football season, an hour before practice. We did the same every day, bench, squats, power clings and incline press. Every now and then they'd throw in pull-ups and dips...that was it, and in the off-season and summer it was five days a wk. I never saw anyone get that strong off such a program, the coaches didn't really know what they were doing. I got to where I could bench about 250lb for a handful of reps by age 17 but it wasn't what I'd call pretty reps and I weighed about 195-200lbs. There were a couple guys who could bench 315 for some decent reps, but never saw anyone attempt anymore.

It's funny, back then I wanted to get stronger so bad, I wouldn't call myself a great football player, better than average perhaps but not by much. But I loved it and busted my tail. After football was over, planning on playing college ball I ended up having major surgery on my ankle and that was it...no one would touch me. Spent the next year my freshman yr in college drinking and getting fat. After that passed I started running my ass off. I had gotten fat fat, 230lbs of pure fat and dropped down to 153lbs. Hated the way I looked so decided it was time for a change. That's what got me into bodybuilding. Now I wanted to get bigger and stronger just on the basis of being bigger and stronger, no other motive. It took some time, but 315 on the bench became an easy set of 15...never did a lot of bench though as it hurts my shoulders a lot...stick with inclines mostly. My proudest press, 365 on the incline for a hard ten weighing 215lbs...happy day...I was around 27 or so. I always wanted to press 405 on the incline for reps but it never happened. Life took a different direction. Still workout but don't train like back in those days but hope to again in the near future.

Point of this long story, I don't remember ever telling anyone what I used to bench in high school or even sense...not until this post. And people that talk like that get on my nerves. Alright, thanks for listening to my boring story, lol!

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    just saw an old highschool friend from wrestling. i thought for sure he would end up a junkie and worthless. hi offered to buy him a beer and truned it down. he is doing great in school and is on his way to a good career. i was pretty happy for him. then one of my good friends who i wrestled with turned into a junkie and went through rehab a few times. he wont even talk to anyone from school anymore...lifes pretty strange sometimes

abstetic is offline Banned
    I struggled at benching 135 in hs but now I bench 270 for reps

Thread Information