Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

Internet forum psychology

I hope this is a subject that can be taken somewhat seriously with a mature level of debate, or I guess it just confirms what i'm going to say.

There is something about the way people act on the internet, in particular forums, places like YouTube or anywhere that has a message board. I'm pretty appalled by the way people can act on the internet, and YouTube is probably the worst offender. I don't think you can have one video on YouTube that doesn't have a black person in it without a horrendously racist comment within 5 posts. But I also find the behaviour of people of internet forums equally strange and bizarre. It makes me wonder, if some of the people act the way they do on a forum/message board that they do in real life, most people would think that person was a complete douche! I dont just think it's the strange way people talk on the internet, using heavy internet slang, usually crap picked up from places like 4Chan, but it's the general rudeness that seems pervasive.

It seems that internet behaviour is so strange and different from every day life, that it warrants some sort of psychological study or debate. I think the internet is a fantastic thing, as it creates the spread of information, especially to places where information is repressed, but im quite perturbed by the strange behaviour it engenders.

My only conclusion to how people act on the internet is this:

People are good, but internet anonymity makes it easier for a person to act like a tool, because there are few reprisals. Which begs the next question.

Is the internet poster a good person that acts like a tool because of anonymity, or is the internet person a bad person that only acts good in face to face social environments.

I tend to lean to the latter, but im curious as to what others may think.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I like to think I'm no different in real life than I am on most any forum. I have meet people from here and from other forums and have never had anyone say I seemed or acted different. Maybe that's partially due to age and not feeling I have to be someone I'm not.

I know what you mean though. There are a lot of internet tough guys or keyboard warriors.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I like to think I'm no different in real life than I am on most any forum. I have meet people from here and from other forums and have never had anyone say I seemed or acted different. Maybe that's partially due to age and not feeling I have to be someone I'm not.

I know what you mean though. There are a lot of internet tough guys or keyboard warriors.
    Fight me.

" Is the internet poster a good person that acts like a tool because of anonymity, or is the internet person a bad person that only acts good in face to face social environments. "

It does both but normally the bad guys can't hold back their true colors for too long. IE: Bo
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Fight me.

" Is the internet poster a good person that acts like a tool because of anonymity, or is the internet person a bad person that only acts good in face to face social environments. "

It does both but normally the bad guys can't hold back their true colors for too long. IE: Bo
    No because you might want to fight nude. lol

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I think the anonymity makes people able to say what they actually think and feel for the most part. Sure there are some who are just saying that stuff to troll, but the majority of people deep down have prejudices. That's not to say that the anonymity can't also cause the opposite to be true. We really in our real lives play characters that may or may not share the traits, beliefs, etc that we actually have. In fact, we get so boxed in to these characters sometimes we play up the character just because we know what's expected.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    I feel that the internet allows people to operate without a filter.

A filter that in real life would get them fired, or make them lose friends. Or simply be seen as an ass.

Some of us dont have a filter at all. Doesnt matter if its real life or online.

But I feel for the most part... the internet lets people say whatever to whoever and not have to worry who is going to judge them.

Or worry about repercussions of any sort really.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    My opinion is that it's a little from colum A and a little from colum B.

PPL can act in a way they are not on the internet just for attention or to see what it's like on the other side.

At the same time ppl can act themselves when society may not allow it.

It also is likely that the same person can change from both of these behaviors at anytime it suites them.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I think a lot of forum behavior is influenced by age and education.

Forums also take away all the physical and social cues (age, attractiveness, wealth, etc) that we normally use to decide who should receive respect.

...and some people are just dicks that don't act polite if they have no fear of repercussions. Maybe we should just ignore people that are overly aggressive or those that "tell it like it is."

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    so let me ask another similar and related question:

why is it people become rude with others while driving in the "security" of their own vehicle?

I've seen "soccer moms" give me the bird because they would jump the gun at a stop sign trying to get their kids to school, and I don't yield in the middle of the intersection when they try to take my turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

why is it people become rude with others while driving in the "security" of their own vehicle?

I've seen "soccer moms" give me the bird because they would jump the gun at a stop sign trying to get their kids to school, and I don't yield in the middle of the intersection when they try to take my turn.
    I know it has probbly been awhile since you have recieved any sort of formal drivers education TR but....the law clearly states that soccer moms in mini vans or big SUV's have the right away at ANY intersection, controlled or otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman

Because without realizing it, she depends on the politeness of others to not get out of their car and kick her door, or key her car.

Jerks don't realize that the world would explode if everyone acted like them. They take the liberty of doing whatever they want while polite people are the glue that holds everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post

Forums also take away all the physical and social cues (age, attractiveness, wealth, etc) that we normally use to decide who should receive respect.

...and some people are just dicks that don't act polite if they have no fear of repercussions. Maybe we should just ignore people that are overly aggressive or those that "tell it like it is."

I can respect a certain amount or "tell it like it is" but it is used far to often as a cover up for just being a dik

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    [/B]

I can respect a certain amount or "tell it like it is" but it is used far to often as a cover up for just being a dik
    I agree. We can tell it like it is and still be respectful. Being coarse and blunt should only be used from time to time.

It is easier to get someones attention and have them really listen to you if they are not pissed off.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    I feel that the internet allows people to operate without a filter.

A filter that in real life would get them fired, or make them lose friends. Or simply be seen as an ass.

Some of us dont have a filter at all. Doesnt matter if its real life or online.

But I feel for the most part... the internet lets people say whatever to whoever and not have to worry who is going to judge them.

Or worry about repercussions of any sort really.
    ..or punched out. I have to sit back and laugh sometimes at the arrogance of some people on these forums while hiding behind their computer screens. And you just know these douchebags lack the courage behave like that in person. Then there are those who are bag lickers - happens everywhere. They run around pretending to be somebody they're not, and when confronted, they'll go off on some holier than thou tangent, usually done under the guise of being a team member. Typically this is performed behind closed doors ie..personal message.

But Flagg's last line sums it up for me nicely, "Is the internet poster a good person that acts like a tool because of anonymity, or is the internet person a bad person that only acts good in face to face social environments."

< <Samson> > is online now Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    All of what said above about covers it.

People are just not too smart with their actions or words and the internet or some cases their car gives the last edge of retardation.

Also on this particular board it's a little different. We get way more personal from what I have seen on the other boards I am on. Personally I think this is caused by the fact that we talk about the one subject we have to shut up about in our every day lives.

Where do you really get to ask: Why does that damn Tren give me insomnia like no other? Or: Will this D-Bol bloat me up like a hot air balloon.

But the trolls on here, really are the best. But, we haven't had too many at all for about a month now.
    Last edited by < <Samson> >; 10-16-2012 at 10:44 AM.

[/B]

Correct, I specifically meant people that use it as an excuse.

I appreciate honesty, but honesty never needs to be wrapped in condescension such as, "what are you, retarded? Only an idiot would confuse an AI and a SERM." Seriously, who can't find the extra brain power to turn that into, "I think you are confusing AIs, with SERMs...AIs do ABC and SERMs do XYZ."

Correct, I specifically meant people that use it as an excuse.

I appreciate honesty, but honesty never needs to be wrapped in condescension such as, "what are you, retarded? Only an idiot would confuse an AI and a SERM." Seriously, who can't find the extra brain power to turn that into, "I think you are confusing AIs, with SERMs...AIs do ABC and SERMs do XYZ."
    Sorry I didn't mean to word it that way...I will try harder lol

Sorry I didn't mean to word it that way...I will try harder lol
    Ha!

Nice comparison TR and quite true, people act like jerks in their car, pretty much for the same reason. They cant be got at, so feel free to act like that due to knowing they dont have to be accountable for their actions.

Imagine if the science bods created a belt that when activated created a forcefield around you, that protected you from any harm. So anything from a car hitting you, to a piece of scaffolding on a building site falling on your head, this force field would protect you 100% from all harm or pain. People would become a-holes almost immediately. But then, perhaps they were always a-holes, and its the internet, the car or the forcefield that just lets them be who they really are.

Is it the same reason, powerful and rich celebrities/politicians can get away with a lot more than us mere mortals, because often they are not beholden to their actions. Most of them are above the law sadly.

So are you saying that Charlie Sheen and Tom Cruise are both over due for an ass kicking?

Cuz if you are.....

....i've got the boot!!

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Most people are assholes because they are insecure

Hollywood actors tend to get very high and mighty but they aren't so bad, sports personalities are amongst some of the biggest tools there are, both in the U.S. and U.K.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Great thread. I feel that a lot of people like to hide behind their computers and use it as an alter ego or a way of feeling/acting tough or cool for a few moments, knowing that there are zero repercussions. The other day I was watching a youtube video of this brick shithouse powerlifting repping out 405lbs on the military press. 90% of the comments were something along these lines: "Yeah terrible form you fat fvck!!!!" "You look like shit, FAGGOT!" Now if ANY of these internet tough guys were to see this guy in person, not only would they keep their mouth shut, they'd probably be lining up to give him a blowjob....Flagg's example about black people is another one, any time there is a black man in it, someone has to type "stupid fvcking _______" in one of the comments. How many white boys out there have the balls to call a black man a _________ to his face? VERY FEW.

To recap here, I think most people get a temporary high or self esteem boost by acting like a hard ass on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    To recap here, I think most people get a temporary high or self esteem boost by acting like a hard ass on the internet.
    Totally agree, although I will never understand the behavior. It is so...not real. Being respected for being intelligent and knowledgable is real, but being a jerk doesn't seem to bring any real benefits.

frank13 is offline "AR's Official Turkey Bacon Expert"

i was going to say this

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    I'm much quieter here than I am in person. I'm here to learn and to keep my anonymity, for the most part.

I'm on a regional motorcycle forum and we would have yearly get togethers and man oh man to meet some people in real life that are nothing like their online persona. I don't get it. I treat the internet like I do real life even if there isn't any serious ramifications. I don't know why, it's just who I am. I can safely say I've told more riders to **** off to their face than I ever have on a computer.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    I tend to be the same way in real life, I am usually referred to as the a$$hole and the person who is always brutally honest.

Places like Facebook are horrible places for internet stalking and harassment, take the case of that girl that was harassed on Fb to the point of suicide. Shit like that happens more than you think. They did a documentory on the BBC about trolls posting the most hate filled bile on these RIP Fb pages.

The BBC tracked some of these people down. Some of them are what you expect them to be, fat, single, balding, racist white males. Alarmingly, some of these guys are young kids in their late teens, early twenties, studying degrees.

I like Fb mostly for organising group events or posting on some of the more "educational pages", like theres a few ecology pages I visit to ask some of the experts there questions.

The internet really brings out the prick in people, but it just shows a person for what they really are. Makes you wonder just how many two faced people we all know in our every day lives.

EDIT: I dont have Twitter, nor do I intend to get it, but I hear some hate filled garbage makes it way to there as well.

Here is an example of the mentality of people on YouTube. This is a video I came across a couple months back about kettlebell training I was thinking of looking into:

Third comment down someone puts "you are a twat", seventh post down someone posts "ghetto workout ******s".

That's just within the last 10 posts of this video. I cringe to think what else is on the comments list. I mean it's a guy, who thought he'd post a video based on other people interested in this and the training obviously being beneficial to him.
    Last edited by Flagg; 10-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comments28.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	127878

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    ^^ lmao!

Yeah that shit sucks on youtube..it'll never change sadly..

lstbred is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually a lot quiter on here than in real life. Im a realist, idealistic is good but reality is just that, reality, what ACTUALLY happens and some ppl know that but dont want to hear it and are put off but they know your right. On the interwebs as in real life ppl will always fall into categories, douche, loud mouth, normal, meek, educated, uneducated, ghetto, white trash etc and sometimes its just how you say things, communication between ppl in different countrys, regions etc throw things off too. The internet actually created new categories, POS that ONLY say things over the net, trolls, keyboard warriors, cyber bullies, ppl who write horrible things about people, whether if its about being ugly, ppl that dont DESERVE to be pick picked on/at. The youtube example is perfect, why do ppl say "stupid naggle!" or "ugly ****" just because they can? just because you can does not mean that you should.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

i think there is a stong similarity here: drivers/internet (annonymity)

i bike a lot in the city and its unbelievable what i see

and flagg nailed it....youtube comments are crazy whack...lol

Thread Information