Thread: Standup Comedy

red_hulk is offline Member

Standup Comedy

Has anyone been to any shows? I've been to a few good ones, mostly known guys, a couple of random times. It's a great place to go for a date or out with the boys.

I've seen: Kevin Hart, Bill Burr, Daniel Tosh, Jim Gaffigan, and one random show. Bill Burr is my favorite comedian, but Kevin Hart is an amazing show.

WOLFCRAFT is offline Senior Member
    Doug Stanhope is my current favorite whom I've seen three times, but the best ever was seeing George Carlin live back in 2001.
    No one will ever top him in my opinion.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I've seen Andrew Dice Clay a bunch of times. His show never gets old.

Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 10-22-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Those are great. The older comics are always good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I keep getting kicked out.

I'm always the heckler in the back pissing off the comedian

so i haven't been in ten years.

what the fuk is the point of going to a comedy show if the guy onstage is able to dish it out, but not able to take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman

what the fuk is the point of going to a comedy show if the guy onstage is able to dish it out, but not able to take it?
    Hahahahaha that's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by red_hulk View Post
    Hahahahaha that's awesome
    but am i right?

I mean if the bloke is going to be filthy and disgusting, talking about women and making fun of fat people, etc. then I believe he has opened the door and should be able to get as good as he gives.

am i right?

Eh, not really. You're the one who paid to see him talk about these things, not to interrupt his act. Usually people get offended or whatever when they just decide to see a show and don't know the comics type of humor. I've seen people try to heckle and the guy just put them in their place, which is even funnier

We used to go to this comedy club in the bay area. the comedians would openly criticize others, and sometimes people in the audience. So you think that it's ok for the comedian to dish it out, but if he's being critical of others, he shouldn't have to get it back? Really?

If someone calls you out in a comedy show, you just going to sit there with a big dumb smile on your face and take it?

My philosophy is if the comedian begins to single out members in his audience, then it is fair game. If the comedian doesn't want to have to take it, then he shouldn't single out members of his audience and try to embarrass them.

my .02

I posted some funny vids. But absolutely not, if he calls you out and is being a douchebag himself then that changes everything. But more commonly a guy or girl is up there in the middle of a joke and people think its funny to interrupt with rude shit. I see where you're coming from though and you're right in that instance.

Eddie_m63 is offline Member
    I want to go see the fluffy guy Iglesias forgot his first name but I think he's great

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_m63
    I want to go see the fluffy guy Iglesias forgot his first name but I think he's great
    Gabriel Iglesias. He is pretty funny he never really comes to ny though and I don't travel to see stand up haha

I posted some funny vids. But absolutely not, if he calls you out and is being a douchebag himself then that changes everything. But more commonly a guy or girl is up there in the middle of a joke and people think its funny to interrupt with rude shit. I see where you're coming from though and you're right in that instance.
    yeah, i see your point too. if the guy/gal is up there and just going through his routine, not singling anyone out in the audience, then yes, heckling would not be appropriate.

Most of the comedy clubs i used to go to were in the bay area, and back in the 80's.

Alot of those blokes were pretty fvcking rude. So it became a free for all in my mind.

Yeah I'm not much for insult comics, I think it's a lot easier to get on stage and be a dick than to actually be funny and make people laugh. When I went to the random show a few of the guys were like that. I was surprised that me and my friends weren't singled out we were the only young white boys in the place haha. But they didn't cross any lines it was in good fun

oh shit. back in the day, guys would get on the stage and talk about boners and dicks and if your woman had a real man like him she wouldnt' be with you....

sometimes it can right down to being insulting. one guy was so pissed he was telling the comedian he was going to kick his ass. and the comedian still was talking shit to the guy after security hauled the guy out.

I have a confession to make. maybe i should make it in the confession thread? anyways, for seven or eight years, it was real bad like that. so much so, that even when the comedians began to finally tone it down, I still heckled.....

....old habits are hard to break. So i don't go anymore. the last time was like i said maybe 8 or ten years ago. i was lit, and kept heckling the guy on stage. they warned me once, and then asked me to leave. so our entire group left. good thing the comedian sucked, else our group would have been pissed at me. we were talking about leaving anyways.

Hahahahaha! You sound like a great time to hit a comedy club with.

Yeah I don't think they are that ballsy anymore, I'd do the same though if they got like that. I'm sure there still are, but those are the guys that never make it. If they're smart they try and draw a crowd and get some recognition, not make people hate them haha

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    TR,

Sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyknox View Post
    tr,

sent you an email.
    done!

Hahahahaha! You sound like a great time to hit a comedy club with.

Yeah I don't think they are that ballsy anymore, I'd do the same though if they got like that. I'm sure there still are, but those are the guys that never make it. If they're smart they try and draw a crowd and get some recognition, not make people hate them haha
    my woman doesn't drink in public when we need to drive home. so she's sober, and I'm not. Which means she may not appreciate my talented tongue as much as some of my mates that have had a few! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman

my woman doesn't drink in public when we need to drive home. so she's sober, and I'm not. Which means she may not appreciate my talented tongue as much as some of my mates that have had a few! =)
    Haha I always feel restrained when out with my girl and try to act my age, which is still young but old enough to not act like an ass, but when it's just me and the boys all hell breaks loose

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    TR,

Sent you an email.
    Nice color Mick lol

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    done!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Nice color Mick lol
    Never mind the wisecracks, wiseguy..lol

Haha I always feel restrained when out with my girl and try to act my age, which is still young but old enough to not act like an ass, but when it's just me and the boys all hell breaks loose
    I've been with my woman so long i no longer care if she sees me acting the fool. we went to a WAR concert several years ago. I had such a great fvcking time. I was dancing all around, singing all the songs. my chair was ten feet from the stage. I shoulda jumped up there myself and sang me some songs. Hell, I know all the damn words.....

Funny stuff. Being drunk at an event is always a better time but I barely remember it afterward!

we have this little club close to the house called "the Fat Cat".

we get quite a few rockers there, and with a $20 cover charge, you really cant' beat it. only holds something like 500. we get guys like

Pat Travers
    YnT
    Foghat

to name a few.

Bigshotvictoria is offline Senior Member
    Always go to a place called hecklers. They have guys from the Comedy Central circuit. Joe Roagan and Russel Peters were great live.

Here is one of my favourite bits:

Leary is the man!

Leary is the man!
    That rant he did there is so true to real life. I went to Starbucks and like I'm like "I want a LARGE" coffee. And the fvcking clerk asks me what flavour I want... I'm like "COFFEE FLAVOURED COFFEE!!!!!" All of his comedy is really just stuff we all experience.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    OMG that was good Denis Leary. I havent seen him before and it's SO true.

but am i right?

I mean if the bloke is going to be filthy and disgusting, talking about women and making fun of fat people, etc. then I believe he has opened the door and should be able to get as good as he gives.

am i right?
    Sounds oddly familiar. Nutty professor? Reggie has left the building.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 10-23-2012 at 01:11 AM.

WOLFCRAFT is offline Senior Member
    but am i right?

am i right?

You couldn't be more wrong.

I used to do stand up comedy and hecklers flat out just ruin shows. Someone's up there trying to tell a story, joke, whatever and you're just throwing off their performance completely. Not to mention causing a huge distraction. Want to be the center of attention that bad? Then there are open mic nights everywhere, go up and try to walk the tight rope that is performing stand up comedy and tell me that you don't want to crack the skull of the loudmouth ruining the show.
    Imagine one of the great classic stand up performances from Bill Cobsy or George Carlin... then imagine some drunk loudmouth yelling stupid shit in the background. Doesn't really improve it does it?
    Also, hiding in the dark yelling things at people who can't see you is for cowards. Do you also yell insults at people who are standing on the sidewalk while you are in a moving vehicle?

Kind of a rant, and don't mean to personally insult, but goddamn I hate hecklers with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFCRAFT View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong.

I used to do stand up comedy and hecklers flat out just ruin shows. Someone's up there trying to tell a story, joke, whatever and you're just throwing off their performance completely. Not to mention causing a huge distraction. Want to be the center of attention that bad? Then there are open mic nights everywhere, go up and try to walk the tight rope that is performing stand up comedy and tell me that you don't want to crack the skull of the loudmouth ruining the show.
    Imagine one of the great classic stand up performances from Bill Cobsy or George Carlin... then imagine some drunk loudmouth yelling stupid shit in the background. Doesn't really improve it does it?
    Also, hiding in the dark yelling things at people who can't see you is for cowards. Do you also yell insults at people who are standing on the sidewalk while you are in a moving vehicle?

Kind of a rant, and don't mean to personally insult, but goddamn I hate hecklers with a passion.
    "That's a HYOOOGE BITCH."

Thread Information