Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    951

    Studding out your dog

    Anyone done this? I got a show quality Pressa canario thats looking for some love and a wallet looking for some cheese. How'd you go about it? Advertise? Change in your dogs attitude at all?

  2. #2
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline Grateful
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North dakota
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by S&S_ShovelHead View Post
    Anyone done this? I got a show quality Pressa canario thats looking for some love and a wallet looking for some cheese. How'd you go about it? Advertise? Change in your dogs attitude at all?
    I stud out both my hunting dogs.

    You need to see eye to eye with the other owner. Why is he breeding? Show, sport,guard, etc.
    Who is gonna handle the sale of the puppies? If they are how do they place the puppy?
    How many sessions and at where are they gonna do it?
    Are you geting a cut of the puppies sale?
    Are they reputable and have experiance in birthing etc

    I could go on and on. You need to sit down and write out every possibility then take to a lawyer and have a contract drawn up.

    The most important question Do you trust them and do they have the breed and puppies best interests in mind.

    Most breeds have been ruined. You have hunting dogs that cant hunt, guard dogs who go off the hinges, etc. Its a big responsibility and no one should take it lightly (I am not accusing you of doing that)

  3. #3
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    I have done it years ago with bird dogs. Things were different 20+ years ago. A handshake and your word was good enough. I always concerned myself with bloodlines. I was familiar enough with them that I knew which ones I would and wouldnt stud. I also took a good look at the dam and sometimes was able to see her work.

    I never took pups for stud fee...just cash!

    Biggest regret...not having sperm from my best stud cryo frozen ;(

  4. #4
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline Grateful
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North dakota
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    I have done it years ago with bird dogs. Things were different 20+ years ago. A handshake and your word was good enough. I always concerned myself with bloodlines. I was familiar enough with them that I knew which ones I would and wouldnt stud. I also took a good look at the dam and sometimes was able to see her work.

    I never took pups for stud fee...just cash!

    Biggest regret...not having sperm from my best stud cryo frozen ;(
    I care more about feild trials and of course hunt with them. I agree esp today with so many hip problems you should stay away from some blood lines.

  5. #5
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    I tried to stay away from field trial dogs as they seemed to be geneticly rangey. If that is the type you want then by all means but our area is thick dense cover in ditches and waterways that required slow methodical work

    SS...while it may not seem to relate I think it does to a degree. It's important to know disposition and behaviors of both stud and dam. While sum might say hey..its cash and my dog gets laid. Remember it's just like putting your name out there.

  6. #6
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline Grateful
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North dakota
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    I tried to stay away from field trial dogs as they seemed to be geneticly rangey. If that is the type you want then by all means but our area is thick dense cover in ditches and waterways that required slow methodical work

    SS...while it may not seem to relate I think it does to a degree. It's important to know disposition and behaviors of both stud and dam. While sum might say hey..its cash and my dog gets laid. Remember it's just like putting your name out there.
    That is true. My chesapeake bay retriever pup just got done with force fetching. Now I will finish him up.

  7. #7
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    That is true. My chesapeake bay retriever pup just got done with force fetching. Now I will finish him up.
    Great dogs...never owned one but have hunted upland and waterfowl with a cpl and I absolutly loved their temperment. Force fetching is the way to go as well. Hunter your a man after my own heart in alot of ways

  8. #8
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline Grateful
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North dakota
    Posts
    3,576
    We need them this far north lol the 250 super duty of waterfowl retrieving.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    951
    Some good info here. Thanks guys.

  10. #10
    Lunk1's Avatar
    Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    METHAMERICA
    Posts
    16,392
    SS..I finally got to meet my first Pressa a cpl weeks ago. He was ok to let me pet him when the owner was there but he never stopped looking at me over the top of his eye lids the whole time. Not sure which one of us was more on guard. Beatiful creature but that dog has one purpose in life...protect!!

  11. #11
    cherrydrpepper's Avatar
    cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Business as usual yeah?
    Posts
    4,078
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have relatives that breed hunting dogs. They have a pretty big enclosure in the country and the dogs are segregated into 3 group areas to socialize. I would ask to see where the dogs are kept before you finalize a deal. It will tell you if you are dealing with dog people or anything for a buck people.

  12. #12
    warmouth is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jorgia
    Posts
    3,353
    Stud your dogs! We used to do it with coon hounds and got premiums for the fees. We did take pups from time to time, but they were used to stud down the road. I think it is good for any dog, hunting or pet, to stud them out if you dont get them cut. Could you imagine the hell you would go through having your nuts and never getting to "clear" them up? Not to mention that there is a higher chance of them getting cancer if they dont get to use their goods. I cant give a reference to this, but I worked for a vet for many years, and still associate with him regularly. He is a genius and writes classes for Auburn(ewww!).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •