cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Learning to play guitar

I need to make some positive changes in my life and I think I am ready to learn guitar as one of them. I have an acoustic but would like to get a cheap electric to learn on. I have heard from someone before that with a year of daily practice someone could start or join a band. Is this realistic? Appreciate any input.

Edit: Whats the bottom of the barrel guitar I could learn on like a used Peavey I just need something to learn on obviously I would buy something respectable if I get good
    Last edited by cherrydrpepper; 01-31-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I need to make some positive changes in my life and I think I am ready to learn guitar as one of them. I have an acoustic but would like to get a cheap electric to learn on. I have heard from someone before that with a year of daily practice someone could start or join a band. Is this realistic? Appreciate any input.

Edit: Whats the bottom of the barrel guitar I could learn on like a used Peavey I just need something to learn on obviously I would buy something respectable if I get good
    I bought my first electric at a pawn shop for like $15 bucks. Just needed a little rewiring and it was perfectly fine. I've seen people learn in 6 months enough that they could play in a band and I've seen people after years still suck ass. It comes down to your natural ability and more importantly how much you put in to it.

The most important thing to work on with guitar isn't even playing the guitar. It's ear training. I'd start by trying to listen/sing scales then learn basic triad composition and go from there. All along apply what you learn to the guitar. And maybe get a book on fingerings for chords.

It's unrealistic though to think you'll be the next Pepe Romero after just a year though. It's an ongoing challenge that you can spend a lifetime learning to master.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    I personally played guitar for less than year when I was young. Mainly Nirvana and power chords stuff (Nothing complicated). I had a shitty electric guitar. 100$ worth.

Anyways, fast forward 13 years and I picked up the guitar again last summer in June. I treated myself to a very nice electric guitar (1000$) and a good tube amp ($400). First the guitar makes all the difference in the world.

This time around I'm playing metal. Mainly Lamb Of God which is extremely technical. I have been picking at my guitar everyday for at least an hour a day and I can now play a lot of songs and some solos too. I've been pretty dedicated and it's paid off in less than 7 months. I have a friend who I play with once in a while and he doesn't practice very often and he's been playing for years. I completely destroy him. He's not even close to me now.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Just start with basics, learn your notes, progress to chords, scales, and as mentioned, tuning your ear along the way.

I'm partial to the Fender Strats, but I am more into the bluesy stuff, which fits the Strat. The foreign made Strats are relatively cheap. Keep an eye on Craig's List and you can find some unreal deals with guys needing quick cash. I got a new, in the wrap, Clapton "Blackie " with a 120watt Line 6 Amp with 400 presets. The guitars are going at Least $2k, amp at $400, walked away with it all for $900. Plus tweed case, strings , straps... All sorts of goodies. The guy had a wedding that week.

Almost as good as the deal I got on an Arsenal SM-7 AK 47 made in Vegas. If I had only got 20 of those, my God they're like gold!

Here's a good guitar book to look at:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Method-...=guitar+method

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.

Congrats on contemplating something out of your comfort zone, its one of the best feeling one can experience.

Only real response i can give to you, since i dont know much about guitars. All boils down to natural abilities, some are just gifted all round on learning new things, some struggle more than others, at the end of the day, its going to be your own ability on how you respond to learning. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, goes without saying, obviously a musical background of some sort will be an advantage, learning at college or high school not sure how education system works over there, but it can be chosen as an elective here in oz. Use all your resources to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    Congrats on contemplating something out of your comfort zone, its one of the best feeling one can experience.

Only real response i can give to you, since i dont know much about guitars. All boils down to natural abilities, some are just gifted all round on learning new things, some struggle more than others, at the end of the day, its going to be your own ability on how you respond to learning. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, goes without saying, obviously a musical background of some sort will be an advantage, learning at college or high school not sure how education system works over there, but it can be chosen as an elective here in oz. Use all your resources to your advantage.
    I try to avoid talking about natural musical abilities when talking to people thinking about getting in to playing. The God's honest truth is it doesn't matter how good you are (or not). The point is just to enjoy playing and the challenge in learning to play. But yeah, a lot of community colleges offer music classes and you can always hire a tutor. Key is to take baby steps in learning.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the inputs I am going gym now then on way back swing by a couple of pawn shops to start getting an idea. Not big on impulse buying will probably do some more internet research but want to hold a couple in my hands and get a feel. I think I want to learn Danzig - Mother for my first song

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Been playing since I was 12 (37 now), always glad to hear about other players on the board.

If you wanna go the Fender route, look into a squire. Yamaha also makes very decently priced lower-end guitars, but IMO the quality is decent.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries

Stop sending me retarded pm's and ill reply to your thread you goof ball......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Stop sending me retarded pm's and ill reply to your thread you goof ball......
    Lol.. lol...........

Guys I got a Fender Squire Strat with a case, plug, strap AND a Behringer amp for $92 from this gentleman at the pawn shop. He cut me a deal because he could see the excitement in my eyes. I think he was being kind to me to be honest I just don't see how all this can add up to only $92. Really appreciate it going to tear it up.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the starter set up. Nice pick up. You got the whole gig for around $20 cheaper than the guitar alone costs.
    Im personally looking at Martin Acoustics at the moment. Little belated Christmas present from me to me.

Congrats on the starter set up. Nice pick up. You got the whole gig for around $20 cheaper than the guitar alone costs.
    Im personally looking at Martin Acoustics at the moment. Little belated Christmas present from me to me.
    Martins are pretty good. As far as factory guitars go, I love Cordobas.

CDP, did you get some new strings for it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post

No not yet but I noticed it came with an electronic tuner which is going to come in handy for that. Was doing scales today and noticed I had retained a lot from when I was a teen practicing. Going to try chords tomorrow.

Blog Entries

My current fav accoustic is an Alvarez 3 piece back. I have a few. I used to be a big Ovation fan. Shopping around now. No rush but I want to make this a lifetime purchase.

My current fav accoustic is an Alvarez 3 piece back. I have a few. I used to be a big Ovation fan. Shopping around now. No rush but I want to make this a lifetime purchase.
    Check out www.gregbrandtguitars.com He's really good and his guitars in quality are worth twice as much as what he sells them for.

Bigshotvictoria is offline Senior Member
    A word of advice, don't get a "beginners" guitar, like a Fender Squire Strat. You'll most likely have issues keeping it in tune, the wood warps VERY easily (it's pressboard), the pickups are garbage, and you just won't get good tone. If you really want to learn, buy a used Mexican Fender Strat. They're solid wood, they keep tune very well, the neck is about as easy to play as it gets, the pickups are decent (and since the rest of the guitar is good you can justify putting in better ones like hum buckers for hitting those bad-ass pinch harmonics), and you get great tone. You can get a used one of craigslist for $200-$300, and It will last as long as you do. You will know its a mexican strat because the serial # on the head stock starts with M. It was my first guitar and still my favourite. Anyone who says a Les Paul is better just happens to be a fan of that guitar, I find them equal and it's easier to find a Mex Strat for a good price. Side not, you will pay more if you want a sun burst.

Yes, you can join a band in as little as a year, maybe sooner. It all depends on your dedication and a little bit of talent. The best advice I can give is get lessons, and PRACTICE DAILY!!! this means at least 1/2 hour every day. This is where people get sick of guitar, because they can only play Wonderwall, and get sick of playing it every day. This isn't how to practice. There are stretching exercises, speed exercises, etc... that you need to utilize. Doing these as part of your daily practice will have a dramatic effect in your playing ability. Also, while you're learning to read sheet music, get some guitar tabs. They're a great way to learn songs until you can read sheet.

Another tip, get a decent acoustic. Learning on acoustic is much harder. The strings are thicker, you must press harder, the stringers are harsher on the fingers, you must stretch your fingers more. Learning on acoustic makes you feel like clapton when you pick up the electric. Also, B!tches love acoustic.

Welcome to the world of music!!!!
    Last edited by Bigshotvictoria; 02-02-2013 at 03:06 PM.

boz
    I try to avoid talking about natural musical abilities when talking to people thinking about getting in to playing. The God's honest truth is it doesn't matter how good you are (or not). The point is just to enjoy playing and the challenge in learning to play. But yeah, a lot of community colleges offer music classes and you can always hire a tutor. Key is to take baby steps in learning.
    I guess also thats a top way to discover how good you really become it lets you be at ease, since your at most comfort with yourself and there is no added pressure to perform better than others. Im sure being at upmost highest composure you would excel in the area of music.

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    I guess also thats a top way to discover how good you really become it lets you be at ease, since your at most comfort with yourself and there is no added pressure to perform better than others. Im sure being at upmost highest composure you would excel in the area of music.
    It's not about excelling in music. Unless you make your living from it, everybody who plays guitar is doing it at a hobby. It's really hard to just sit back and enjoy the fun of playing when you're worrying about getting good and giving yourself a time-frame to be good in. The key to playing is to just sit back and pour yourself in to the music you're playing. It doesn't matter how difficult or easy it is and it doesn't matter how good you are at it. Music is about expression and it transcends your technical ability. Now with that being said, you should still practice with a metronome and work on technique.

boz
    It's not about excelling in music. Unless you make your living from it, everybody who plays guitar is doing it at a hobby. It's really hard to just sit back and enjoy the fun of playing when you're worrying about getting good and giving yourself a time-frame to be good in. The key to playing is to just sit back and pour yourself in to the music you're playing. It doesn't matter how difficult or easy it is and it doesn't matter how good you are at it. Music is about expression and it transcends your technical ability. Now with that being said, you should still practice with a metronome and work on technique.
    I see well said.

Hey since there are a few guys here who play, you all want to write some licks or whatever and just post the tabs for them on here? We can all tab/export them with powertab editor.

Thread Information