Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: anyone know how to get out of jury duty???

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer

anyone know how to get out of jury duty???

well like it says i need to get out of it. i come home from a very expensive vacation, the last thing i need is an additional unplanned week off from work without pay, or how ever long its gonna be..

i do have a felony charge and conviction but i plead first offender and the summons says convicted of a crime without being given a pardon or amnesty and i think the first offender is amnesty because the conviction was reduced to a misdemeanor after i successfully completed probation..

how bout some good ideas guys???

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Is it local or federal?

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've got out of it several times. Once they asked me if I was a good judge of character. I said..."Shit yeah, I watch all the good cop shows, NCIS, Law and Order, SVU, and all 3 CSI's and I can always tell who did it just by looking at them".

Another time I just answer every question on the questionaire in a way I thought would make them hate me. This particular time it had to do with a hospital being sued after some people died. I mentioned "I had family members that were in the medical field and I know that sometimes you have to go with your gut instead of hospital policy."

Anything to make you sound like a total moron will work.
    lovbyts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Is it local or federal?
    local

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    I just take the notice and throw it in the garbage.
    Java Man and zaggahamma like this.

RipOwens is offline Member
    Do you mean how NOT to getting chosen to serve on a jury? Like Made said I've just told the lawyers I cannot be impartial, but both times I've seen they typically ask who doesn't want to serve.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Show up drunk

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    Show up drunk
    Ummm...NO, that would get you a big fine; as well as, lying. Don't LIE!!!

Very rarely do cases go to local trial. Most times you just have to be available during that time incase of a trial but they often never get past a plea agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Very rarely do cases go to local trial. Most times you just have to be available during that time incase of a trial but they often never get past a plea agreement
    it says i have to physically report on a specific date and time. will this more than likely be the only time i have to report? will they have me call a number or something to see if i have been selected? i have been given a juror number and some bar code thing i have to bring with me.

RipOwens is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---
    it says i have to physically report on a specific date and time. will this more than likely be the only time i have to report? will they have me call a number or something to see if i have been selected? i have been given a juror number and some bar code thing i have to bring with me.
    Yea it just means you've been picked to report for jury duty, not that you have to serve on a jury. You just have to report that one day. You'll likely spend the whole day there tho, but the chances of getting picked to be on a jury are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens View Post
    Yea it just means you've been picked to report for jury duty, not that you have to serve on a jury. You just have to report that one day. You'll likely spend the whole day there tho, but the chances of getting picked to be on a jury are slim.
    ok good.. ill just try to be what they dont want.. im not used to going thru on this side of the thing

Often times they let you call in advance to see if you need to show. Jury trials are expensive and time consuming and rarely happen at a local level.

JJ78 is offline Senior Member
    Act racist, sexist, or just biased in anyway.. I am none of these things, but I can fake it.

Ive never been called up for jury duty. I am not a registered voter, is that how you get chosen?

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    All joking aside you are pretty much stuck.Just be glad you have the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ78 View Post
    Act racist, sexist, or just biased in anyway.. I am none of these things, but I can fake it.

Ive never been called up for jury duty. I am not a registered voter, is that how you get chosen?
    Most often the cases one would end up on a jury for in local court are civil trials such as divorce or small claims civil action. Almost impossible to be exempt from these types of cases unless your are related in some way to one of the parties.

Pittsburgh412 is offline Banned
    Say you don't agree with the law he/she is accused of "jury nullification" and that you'll vote innocent either way

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    differs from state to state. In California I showed up on a day and if I was selected I had to sit on the trial if I wasn't selected my time was done for a year. In Washington I show up on a Monday stay for the whole day. Either go up for jury selection (that's happened both times I was up) or go home and have to call in each day after 5pm to see if I need to go in the next day. Which is a bigger pain in the ass. Because I can go to work but can't schedule any appointments because I don't know if I'm going to have to go in the next day or not. In my area we have to call in for two weeks.

The reality jury duty is it's stupid simple to get out of it. It kinda scares the crap out of me if I ever have to go to trial I've seen the people who get selected and I don't want to be tried by those idiots.

Some places let you defer your jury time. I've been told to defer it to as close to christmas as you can. No lawyer or judge wants to start a trial around the holidays.

Lastly both times I've been up for jury selection in Washington they went to trial. One for three days the other, big case was two weeks.

Thsi is why I say..."who wants to be tried by 12 ppl too stupid to get outa jury duty" lol

shoot no man i have better things to do with my time than vote! like anything..

JJ78 is offline Senior Member
    Neither do I, I cant, and wouldnt even if I could. My wife has been picked a couple of times, but was not chosen to be on the jury.

So how do they choose you to be called in as apotential juror. Light bills, Taxes, voter regestration?

Neither do I, I cant, and wouldnt even if I could. My wife has been picked a couple of times, but was not chosen to be on the jury.

So how do they choose you to be called in as apotential juror. Light bills, Taxes, voter regestration?
    good question, also the one i asked my wife.. i have no idea.. all the utilities are in her name. i dont vote.. who knows.. the letter said as a resident of my county i had been selected randomly by computer.. lucky me

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Bad post...My Bad
    Last edited by Shol'va; 05-06-2013 at 11:55 PM.

LOL.. yeh i know it would but i dont wanna do that. plus i live in a very small ruralesque community
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 05-07-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    LOL.. yeh i know it would but i dont wanna do that. plus i live in a very small ruralesque community
    Part of post 23...Burp....
    Last edited by Shol'va; 05-07-2013 at 07:06 AM.

frank13 is offline "AR's Official Turkey Bacon Expert"
    i have had so many jury duty letters it was easy the first couple i had my boss at the time fax a letter saying i don't get paid if i don't work that was it they were cool with that. after that i realized the letters don't come certified mail so how would they know u even got it they wouldn't i been throwing them in the trash ever since problem solved
    bikeral likes this.

stpete is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Well in that case just tell them that you are gay and part black and part jewish. But then again living in a small community you might get your home burned down..lol
    You still living in Mississippi many years ago? Maybe i'm part black and my wife is Jewish, which i love the Jews. Does this make me less of a person or a reason not to have me?
    Mrs. Stpete likes this.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    In many states, it is possible to demonstrate that you are unable to serve on a jury for financial reasons. You could request a change of date. When you receive your notice, mark on the jury form that you need special accommodations and that you cannot make the requested attendance date. Any accepted excuse will likely set your next jury summons back at least a year. I have gotten out of jury duty because its difficult to find someone to watch my son. If you are seeing a mental health professional on a regular basis you could get him/her to write a letter for your excuse based on your mental illness.

If you’re selected to be on a jury, you are likely to be asked to swear to find a verdict solely on the basis of the facts presented in court. Decline to swear this on the grounds that the jury has a right to find a verdict as they see fit. It allows a jury to return a verdict of "innocent" when the accused is clearly guilty, because the jury disagrees with the law that was broken. You will almost certainly be excused from the jury for holding unacceptable views, but if not, you will be better prepared for the experience from your research.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---

good question, also the one i asked my wife.. i have no idea.. all the utilities are in her name. i dont vote.. who knows.. the letter said as a resident of my county i had been selected randomly by computer.. lucky me
    Driver licensing! U have been found lol.

I served on local, and got called right away. Ended up be the foreperson. Lasted 2 days hung jury. One gal believed she could see the blue of a persons eyes from 75 yards away! Idiot. An old man just wanted something to do. Defendant has a pony tail and wally said he hid it bc he had long hair. Prejudice . I was shocked at the ppl who walk amongst us.....and I would never want to be judged by a jury if my peers!!!

Mrs. Stpete is offline Banned
    I served on jury duty years ago. I actually loved it. I was originally set to be on a murder trial but when the suspect saw an actual jury was being picked, she plead out. Got called the next day for a felonious assault case. I though it was very interesting but if you really want or need to get out of it, yes... Just tell the lawyers during the Voir Dire process that you cannot be impartial. No judge will have you after that. You may have to sit through a day or two til they get to that but, unless you are in a profession that warrants you be available for an emergency of any kind, it's tough to get out of. Good luck!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Whatever the crime at hand is just say you were a victim of the same type of crime.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Whatever the crime at hand is just say you were a victim of the same type of crime.
    Better yet start crying

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Here's another one. If u have cop friends And u r asked if u can treat there testimony as equal to non uniform so no. They are much more credible then the avg joe . Bub bye!!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Here's another one. If u have cop friends And u r asked if u can treat there testimony as equal to non uniform so no. They are much more credible then the avg joe . Bub bye!!
    In alot of cases even the cops can serve jury duty. In small rural areas as 405 described. Often times you may sit on a civil trial and it's very difficult to be exempt from one of those

what if i just dont go?? i mean people have jobs and bills and stuff WTF do these assholes expect us to do??

in reality it is not that dire, but i dont want to take a hit nonetheless.. who wants to funds their own salary out of savings??

what if i just dont go?? i mean people have jobs and bills and stuff WTF do these assholes expect us to do??

in reality it is not that dire, but i dont want to take a hit nonetheless.. who wants to funds their own salary out of savings??
    You can be fined and jailed lol. Oh...and have your b-day taken away

Call your clerks office at the court house and ask if you can be exempted or if calling in is an option vs showing up. They all have different rules and exeptions.
    Last edited by Lunk1; 05-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Ummm your "civic duty" lol

If you really want out of jury duty walk up to the judges bench and take a crap on it. You might go to jail but you sure as hell wont serve on a jury.

Quote Originally Posted by evander87 View Post
    Ummm your "civic duty" lol

If you really want out of jury duty walk up to the judges bench and take a crap on it. You might go to jail but you sure as hell wont serve on a jury.
    my civic duty?? says who?? the govt?? as if i give a fvck about that.. i tell u what if it is so important instead of them wasting so much of their (my/our) money on bullshiit how about they give me my salary and ill be happy to sit my fat ass on the jury bench.. ??

obviously taking a crap on the judges bench is not a viable option.. LOL..

my civic duty?? says who?? the govt?? as if i give a fvck about that.. i tell u what if it is so important instead of them wasting so much of their (my/our) money on bullshiit how about they give me my salary and ill be happy to sit my fat ass on the jury bench.. ??

obviously taking a crap on the judges bench is not a viable option.. LOL..
    Somebody came back from a cruise as cranky as when they left lol

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    know how to get out of it?? don't register to vote...

I register day of election, and have not been called and i'm old.. hella old..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information