Thread: Gym footwear?

starscream is offline Associate Member

Gym footwear?

OK so my current gym shoes are just about blown the f**k out! And I'm going to need to get a new pair soon

Just curious as to what people's opinion is on some of the different footwear options and if it's something that is all that important.

I have always just worn the cheapest Walmart special "running" shoes I could find but a lot of the guys in my gym are dropping hundreds of dollars on specialty shoes.

I have a few good gym buddies that have the Vibreems 5 fingers.. Those shoes that have an individual spot for each toe. They swear by them! A couple other guys have those Otomix weight lifting shoes.. And oddly I feel like I've noticed a lot of big bodybuilder guys in their YouTube vids always seem to be wearing unlaced boots.. Haha

What are your thoughts/opinions?

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    5 finger shoes are definitely a good shoe as it replicates the foots natural motion and allows it more freedom! But to get a decent pair is pricey...

I suggest having gait analysis done to see whether you over pronate and so on...

I tend to get a shoe that suits my running style as it doesn't really matter when it comes to lifting outside if deads and squats!

ATM I have Asics gel 2160 (as that's the level of support I need when running).

Also have Nike Pegasus it's a lighter shoe so and allows more flexibility when walking so if I'm not running this is what I'll wear!!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Other than buying Olympic weightlifting shoes I see no need to over think this issue.... Just go with what you like.... I wear chucks.... Getting some OLY shoes in 8 weeks
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Other than buying Olympic weightlifting shoes I see no need to over think this issue.... Just go with what you like.... I wear chucks.... Getting some OLY shoes in 8 weeks
    I agree here for sure.. No need to over think shoes. Hell I have worn my slippers on chest days ha. Just looking for opinion. Although I do agree with KJ when it comes to running.
    I use to get killer shin splints when I was a teenager and some new football cleats fixed that right up.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    I have Nike training shoes for the gym, Asics Gel Kayano 19s for running/cardio and New Balance Leadville 1200s for trail running.

Gotta take care of the feet.

A little snippet from Dorian Yates blood and guts videos
    Treadmill boots! I'm guessing it works like those ankle weights you see the moms wearing ;-) lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20130814_105922.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	142859

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Remember this, that shoes at walmart are made by chinese who have no idea about american sizing or sizes and as such you get odd sized uncomfortable shoes which cause foot problems down the road. You don't have to pay a fortune for gym shoes but get some decent ones at least that are form fitting for your feet. And make sure the material they are made with can breathe so your feet don't sweat and stink. No one likes STINK FOOT...

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I often were cheap running shoes with the gel heels, just because I find these the most comfortable.

brazuka is offline Associate Member
    Get the Nike Free's 5.0!! They are running shoes and the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn... many different color schemes I own 3 different pairs

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    I say the same. No need to overthink this or spend more then you would normally. HOWEVER , I myself use my boots for leg day. I don't have $$ due to being on SSD so I buy some cheap Wal-Mart shoes but when I squat I have to wear big hard solid shoes. I where my everyday average lace up brown boots on leg day. I look funny, but at age 62 I don't care on leg day. It's only leg day.

All other days it make no difference for me, but I like a shoe that will protect my feet in the gym. ...crazy mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mike View Post

I say the same. No need to overthink this or spend more then you would normally. HOWEVER , I myself use my boots for leg day. I don't have $$ due to being on SSD so I buy some cheap Wal-Mart shoes but when I squat I have to wear big hard solid shoes. I where my everyday average lace up brown boots on leg day. I look funny, but at age 62 I don't care on leg day. It's only leg day.

All other days it make no difference for me, but I like a shoe that will protect my feet in the gym. ...crazy mike
    Thanks mike! I'm just a pup (26yrs) so I feel like right now at least my feet are in good shape.. I am on my feet a lot at work and wear decent shoes there but I'm curious as to why you wear the boots? Is it ankle support? Just the solid sole? Just curious? I always love getting advice and some knowledge passed down from the guys like you who have been in the game for years

Quote Originally Posted by starscream View Post
    Thanks mike! I'm just a pup (26yrs) so I feel like right now at least my feet are in good shape.. I am on my feet a lot at work and wear decent shoes there but I'm curious as to why you wear the boots? Is it ankle support? Just the solid sole? Just curious? I always love getting advice and some knowledge passed down from the guys like you who have been in the game for years
    Hey man I'm an ectomorph and have skinny fairly small feet. I need to have the added support with the solid wide sole as well as the ankle support. Don't laugh, but I wear double socks and lace the boots the up to the last hole on the top, with which I don't normally do (the last on top) Now to clarify my boots only go up to my ankle and have 6 lace holes high.
    They are not heavy work or motorcycle boots. I guess my boots are casual to dress type boots. Good soles and quality leather, everyday boots.
    So honestly I need all the support I can get with my small bones. ...crazy mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mike View Post

Hey man I'm an ectomorph and have skinny fairly small feet. I need to have the added support with the solid wide sole as well as the ankle support. Don't laugh, but I wear double socks and lace the boots the up to the last hole on the top, with which I don't normally do (the last on top) Now to clarify my boots only go up to my ankle and have 6 lace holes high.
    They are not heavy work or motorcycle boots. I guess my boots are casual to dress type boots. Good soles and quality leather, everyday boots.
    So honestly I need all the support I can get with my small bones. ...crazy mike
    Haha I hear ya though.. There is a dude at my gym (looks to be in his 50's) he is always wearing hiking boots, double socks, and the guy is standing on a yoga mat that he carries around the gym with him.. I'd laugh except the guy looks great! He is never lifting shit for weight either.. He will squat with a knee high bench under his butt and less than 30lbs on each side of the bar.. Standing on his mat.. For like 20 sets of 100 or something haha like I said I'd make fun, but the way he looks he's doing something right!

Gotta do what keeps those joints and everything happy

Ah ha, ha, Haaa !! ! that's no me bud...lol. I squat a little more ha!! I'm not a heavy weight and my boots aren't for hiking and for heaven's sake I don't do yoga. Never did yoga even way back in my "hippy space cadet years" with my LSD. Those times are gone (LSD) thank God.
    So good luck and if you want to get to know me better, I have been interviewed by Marcus and it is on the Anabolic Lounge with the interview section. Good luck with the shoes, ha!! ...crazy mike

b3astmode is offline New Member
    At least you're not lifting weights in shoes designed for running! I see that crap all the time; some dude in the squat rack with 4 wheels on each side wearing nike shox and wondering why his legs are wobbling all over the place. If you have the coin, I highly suggest some proper lifting shoes, they make a world of difference. Most of the popular models can be researched at this site (w/f/s/) hxxp://wlshoes.com and I can vouche for the "cheaper" wei-rui models. They've held up well for me.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I make fun of those shoes with individual toes lol. You look ridiculous walkin around the gym In Those haha
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

drake4243 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I make fun of those shoes with individual toes lol. You look ridiculous walkin around the gym In Those haha
    Could not agree more those things are hilarious. I could not wear those.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i bought my son the new reebok (sp) atv... advertising i know..

but i bought a pair for myself.. and damn if they are not the most comfortable shoes i have...

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i'm not doning squats in them, but everything else is cool..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Thread Information