Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Flagg
  • 1 Post By DSM4Life
  • 1 Post By --->>405<<---
  • 1 Post By Flagg

Thread: You and your generation

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

You and your generation

Hey guys, I know this is long so I wont be offended if some of you dont bother to read this, but i've been cobbling this together by looking at a few sources online on different generations and how people from those generations have certain values. I was inspired to do this after listening to this song: Chris Cornell - "Seasons" - YouTube, which really reminded me of MY generation. I'm a Gen X'er myself and I identify a lot with my group, however having been born near that end of that era, there are some Millennial aspects I also recognise, though I think most of my personality is tied into Generation X. Have a read, tell us which group you belong and if you think you identify with anything.

And if there are any Gen Z's here, you shouldn't be here!

Traditionalists (born before 1946): Also known as the "Silent Generation" or "The Lucky Few", this generation was sometimes described as the lucky few on account on being a generation smaller than the last one, especially in America. Most children experienced stable, intact family life. Women tended to marry earlier but gave rise to the baby boomers and had greater access to education than before. Education was accessible to more and there was far easier access into white collar jobs. Even in retirement, Traditionalists are far better off than most.

Core values of Traditionalists include hard work, dedication and sacrifice, respect for rules, duty before pleasure and honour. This group were largely shaped by The Great Depression, World War II and the Korean War.

Boomers (born post WW II to early 60's): Baby boomers were associated with a rejection of traditional values. Through North America and Europe, most of this generation grew up in a time of government subsidies in regards to housing and education and growing affluence. This generation were not only the wealthiest at this point, but also physically the fittest, growing up believing the world would only get better with time. As of 2004, all UK Baby Boomers hold 80% of all British wealth. One survey also showed that a third of Baby Boomers in america would rather give their wealth to charity than their own children. People also became more liberal during this era, beginning to reject things like homophobia and war. Music such as The Beatles and shows like The Twilight Zone and Happy Days were an expression of Boomer cultural identity.

Core values of Boomers include, optimism, team playing, personal gratification and growth and involvement. This group were largely shaped by the sexual revolution, the Cold War, Vietnam war, assasination of several key prominent figures and space exploration.

Generation X (born during mid 60's to early 80's): Also known as The MTV generation or Thatchers Children, this generation was openly more tolerant with social diversity issues such as sexual orientation, religion, race, class, ethnicity. Unlike the Boomers who would challenge their leaders by trying to replace them, Gen Xers are less likely to idolize leaders and have distrust of corporations and will challenge the status quo through media, economic and consumer roles. Professor Henseler describes this Generation as "the one whose world view is based on change, the need to combat corruption, dictatorship, abuse and AIDS..a generation in search of human dignity and individual freedom, the need for stability, love, tolerance, and human rights for all" . Film makers such as Tarantino, Kevin Smith and David Fincher are described as Gen X film makers, with films such as Clerks, Fight Club and Pulp Fiction describing the average Gen X'er. This generation also experienced the emergence of music videos and heavy metal, grunge, alternative rock, punk and hip hop.

Core values of Gen X'ers include, diversity, techno literacy, fun and informality, self reliance and pragmatism. This group was largely shaped by Watergate, first energy shocks of the 1970's, womens liberation movement, Thatcher vs the Trade Unions, AIDS, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the first Gulf War.

Millennials (born early 80's to early 2000's): Sometimes known as Generation Y, Generation Me or Echo Boomers. It has been stated that each Generation has certain personality aspects that make them unique to others, but these are cyclical, with some researchers believing that Millennials will be like the G.I. generation, the Generation that preceeded the Traditionalists, but there is some debate to this. Millennials are sometimes known as Trophy kids, where participation in competitive environments can be reward enough. This is sometimes seen as worrying in the workplace with employees, as Millennials can sometimes have exceptionally high expectations of the work place and can often be seen switching jobs often, due to their great expectations. Millennials are often seen as wanting to make the world a better place to live in, but to do so would require building new institutions and systems. Millennials will often have a far greater understanding of technology than previous generations. Their political views are quite interesting in that while they will be more supportive of same sex marriage and the legalisation of drugs they will be less supportive of abortion, National Health Service and support and welfare for the elderly. Another name given to Millennials is the Peter Pan generation, due to delaying certain rights of passage into adulthood. This could be due to less economic opportunities, house price rises, the internet and social network systems. Generation Y are also less likely to join religious institutes and will be quite skeptical of them. A poll in the UK showed that 38% of Gen Y thought that religion was the cause of most of the evil in the world.

Core values of Millennials include optimism, civic duty, confidence, great sense of achievement and respect for diversity. This group are largely shaped by large scale shootings in North America and the Oklahoma bombing, evolution of technology and Sept 11th Attacks.

Generation Z (born after the new millenium): This is the name of the current generation that began in the early to mid 2000's and is still being born now. Many names for this generation include iGen, NextGen, Gen Tech, Gen Wii and so forth. Many of Generation Z will have a high affinity with technology especially from a young age. This growing generation is also known as Plurals, and will be ethnically more diverse than previous generations and will have social circles that will include many from ethnic backgrounds compared to other generations. There is some debate that Gen Z will less likely to believe in "The American Dream" compared to their predecesors.

As this generation is still fairly new and growing, it is hard to define what their core values are, though diversity will likely be one. This generation will very likely be shaped by rapid technological growths, the Middle Eastern occupation by the west, the 7/7 bombings in London and the 2008 global recession.
    Last edited by Flagg; 12-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Igifuno likes this.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Gen X'er here and I do fit that category.
    Flagg likes this.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    An X'er as well but you simply cannot beat those that lived during the 40's and 50's

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    An X'er as well but you simply cannot beat those that lived during the 40's and 50's
    Life during the 40's and 50's was probably better for you guys than anyone in Europe. This era basically brought about the end of the British Empire and you guys filled the gap. WW II took a massive toll on Britain and Europe financially. Prosperity in America eased this burden fairly quick though. However there were similarities still, people in the UK could still leave school with nothing and become skilled in a trade or even get into white collar work. No way anyone could do that today.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    gen x.. fit right in i think.
    Flagg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    gen x.. fit right in i think.
    Yeah, there's a few of us Gen X'ers here. Gbrice and Austinite are Gen X'ers through and through! There is quite a diverse range of age groups here though. Shame Crazy Mike isn't here to chime in about being a traditionalist! - Flagg

Younger generations I have to say, seem less grumpy and more tolerant than the older ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Yeah, there's a few of us Gen X'ers here. Gbrice and Austinite are Gen X'ers through and through! There is quite a diverse range of age groups here though. Shame Crazy Mike isn't here to chime in about being a traditionalist! - Flagg

Younger generations I have to say, seem less grumpy and more tolerant than the older ones!
    i can recall having some very great times between 95-2000... mtv, xgames, american pie, nirvana, lollapalooza.. plus i was in my early to mid twenties!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Gen X here, 1981

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    i can recall having some very great times between 95-2000... mtv, xgames, american pie, nirvana, lollapalooza.. plus i was in my early to mid twenties!
    Loved the 90's, the best era for music, games and films.

Plus most Gen X'ers did all their stupid shit before the internet came along. I think a lot of Millennials are socially more awkward than us guys and I do think the internet is largely responsible for that.
    evander87 likes this.

Later generations are also more likely to listen to the radio and keep up to date with current affairs while younger generations take less of a interest.

Reality TV anyone?

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Born in the gen y but more into the x's way of thinking. Agreed Flagg many people of the milkenial are socially awkward

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    No better time than the 80's, fuk I wish I could remember it

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Seems pretty spot-on. Nice post Flagg

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Is that an admission of guilt Lunk?

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Etc..

Last edited by --->>405<<---; 12-15-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Gen x here as well. Born in the 70s. Interesting read. We talk about this in our business sometimes and take the generational mindset into consideration in the sales aspect of our business. You will sell to a gen Y differently then you will sell to a gen x for example.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I have to say that I grew up in the best generation (80's). Like said before we didn't have the internet so we went out and played with other people. We weren't/aren't socially retarded. We later grew up with the internet and changed with it. We are able to equally balance the two.

The biggest changed that I have seen in my own time which is still amazing is acceptance of all people. As a child I grew up in a very raciest area. If you were black/different you were the enemy. I have seen "friends" beat down people just because they were black/different or from another neighborhood. Time passed and it was no longer acceptable to treat people different because of their race/ethnicity/sexuality. Sure there are always exceptions to the rule but in my experience the change was drastic. The same guys that would have kicked my ass for being gay are the same people coming to my house warming party and celebrating with my partner and I. We sometimes talk about the "old times" and you can tell by the way they describe it they are shamed of what they were.

As we grew up and matured it was like the world changed with us.

*excuse any typo's I am listening to music so loud I can barely think. The BF is out so I take advantage by listening to my music and when I do its always LOUD.
    Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Does it go to 11 dsm?

Never thought of myself as a gen x'er but after reading that I def fit the mold.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Sign

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    I have to say that I grew up in the best generation (80's). Like said before we didn't have the internet so we went out and played with other people. We weren't/aren't socially retarded. We later grew up with the internet and changed with it. We are able to equally balance the two.

The biggest changed that I have seen in my own time which is still amazing is acceptance of all people. As a child I grew up in a very raciest area. If you were black/different you were the enemy. I have seen "friends" beat down people just because they were black/different or from another neighborhood. Time passed and it was no longer acceptable to treat people different because of their race/ethnicity/sexuality. Sure there are always exceptions to the rule but in my experience the change was drastic. The same guys that would have kicked my ass for being gay are the same people coming to my house warming party and celebrating with my partner and I. We sometimes talk about the "old times" and you can tell by the way they describe it they are shamed of what they were.

As we grew up and matured it was like the world changed with us.

*excuse any typo's I am listening to music so loud I can barely think. The BF is out so I take advantage by listening to my music and when I do its always LOUD.
    This is how I grew up also. That's a good way to put it
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    They tell me I had a lot of fun in the 80's

Thread Information