Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How do people live on minimum wage?

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    FRDave, as it's been said live within your means. When I graduated and me and my then wife moved to Los Angeles we lived there the first year on $24,000. We had to have a roommate for some time, didn't eat out, sure as hell didn't eat healthy (don't know if that was budget or lack of nutritional knowledge) didn't go out at all. We did what we had to do to survive. It wasn't fun and it wasn't comfortable but we did what we had to.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    ^^^^^ i also blame high populations. too many people not enough jobs. Theres been talk in aus about "population capping" so as to keep work and standard of living high. There are problems with this but its a avenue.

I read in the usa that you have 300 milion people and 40 milion in poverty. Maybe over say the next 100 years you could get the birth rate down and get to 250 million people? One child only policy or something along those lines?
    Australia only has a population of 20 million, that's less than a third of the population of the UK. If anything I was understoood to believe that you guys had a slow birthrate.

Going back to the OP, have you signed up to LinkedIn? I have and its amazing what things get kicked your way on that. I have been relentless lately, I know something good is close to coming but you have to keep at it. Sometimes its not about what you know but who you know. Networking is key in this day and age.

How do people live on minimum wage? Because they are either accustomed to it and happy to "just get by" or they have other subsidies, a wealthy partner, family, state pay outs.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Its funny how a lot of people complain of living on minimum wage but they still have a smart phone and money to go out to a bar and drink.

canesfan804 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FRDave View Post
    I actually tested last month and passed the entrance exam to get on as an electrician at Electrical Training Institute - ETI (school is fully funded and paid for by the Union - international Brotherhood of Electrical Workers). I'm just waiting for my interview date, and assuming I pass I'm set for life.
    Good luck with the IBEW. I was (still am) a member for 15 years and it was mostly great. Their are some bumps in the road while going through the apprenticeship but all well worth it. In Ca they make some really good $$$ too. I am actually going back this summer after taking 2 years off to play daddy day care.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    Move to Texas. There's more work here than the rest of the country.
    Texas has a great Economy but people are just as broke there as anywhere else.

Rwy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    My gf I out of work and can't find a job making the $24/hr she was making. We are living solely off my salary and is not easy by any means. Something needs to happen......
    Gotta leave bro. North east is a rat race and for what? Shitty houses that cost 500k with 12k property taxes. Its a terrible life style up here. Look into Texas the whole state has a great economy and you can get a ridiculous house for nothing. Atlanta, Charlotte have growing economies. A north east worker will always do well in the south.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Min wage was never ment too support a family.This was really for kids in HS and extra income.Sad thing is wages now dayz are going down hill.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Very true. Wages here are so low its pitiful.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Australia only has a population of 20 million, that's less than a third of the population of the UK. If anything I was understoood to believe that you guys had a slow birthrate.

Going back to the OP, have you signed up to LinkedIn? I have and its amazing what things get kicked your way on that. I have been relentless lately, I know something good is close to coming but you have to keep at it. Sometimes its not about what you know but who you know. Networking is key in this day and age.

How do people live on minimum wage? Because they are either accustomed to it and happy to "just get by" or they have other subsidies, a wealthy partner, family, state pay outs.
    I think its 23 million now. Most of the country is unlivable and fresh water is in short supply. We also dont have the type of very poor people that other countries have. Im telling you small population keeps standard of living high and good paying jobs for everyone. Im not a analyst i have not got all the answers but i am sure it is the right way. Birth rate is not the problem the previous labor Government allowed to many unsupportive poor people to immigrate. Now with a coalition government we will prosper like in the Howard years.
    Last edited by Euroholic; 04-08-2014 at 07:13 PM.

ngtmarpete is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post
    Texas has a great Economy but people are just as broke there as anywhere else.
    Not true. The standard of living is a result of the economy; good economy good standard of living ect...

I work with 18 year olds that start off at 70k. For most that would provide for a very comfortable live style.
    Last edited by ngtmarpete; 04-09-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngtmarpete View Post
    Not true. The standard of living is a result of the economy; good economy good standard of living ect...

I work with 18 year olds that start off at 70k. For most that would provide for a very comfortable live style.

My mates brother is 20 and clears 4grand a week. Crazy ay

His a rigger

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Min wage was never ment too support a family.This was really for kids in HS and extra income.Sad thing is wages now dayz are going down hill.
    Actually, it was. The first known minimum wage laws were enacted in Australia and New Zealand for the factory workers there. The point of them were to enable a man, wife and two children the ability to live in "frugal comfort." These were from the early 1900's.

In America, the minimum wage laws were actually enacted to deter companies from hiring women and children so that out of work men (in the Great Depression) could provide for their families and revive the economy.

If I recall in 1968, minimum wage was a lot higher than it is today (adjusting for today's dollar value). I believe in today's money it was over $10 an hour.

But without these laws, in general, people will fvck the weaker guy over every chance they get. Call me crazy, but the guy who is cleaning the toilets at my work needs to be able to feed himself and keep a roof over his head. I'm of the belief that if you're willing to work hard, you should be allowed at the minimum a modest living. I see way too many people who don't work hard and are given great livings and opportunities that the poor never get.

Not raising minimum wage isn't the answer. What is the answer is stopping a trade deficit. In otherwords NAFTA needs to be thrown out and we need to stop allowing companies to setup shop in the third world if they want to do business here. That'll shrink the labour pool and create opportunities inside America.
    DCI and Black like this.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Actually, it was. The first known minimum wage laws were enacted in Australia and New Zealand for the factory workers there. The point of them were to enable a man, wife and two children the ability to live in "frugal comfort." These were from the early 1900's.

In America, the minimum wage laws were actually enacted to deter companies from hiring women and children so that out of work men (in the Great Depression) could provide for their families and revive the economy.

If I recall in 1968, minimum wage was a lot higher than it is today (adjusting for today's dollar value). I believe in today's money it was over $10 an hour.

But without these laws, in general, people will fvck the weaker guy over every chance they get. Call me crazy, but the guy who is cleaning the toilets at my work needs to be able to feed himself and keep a roof over his head. I'm of the belief that if you're willing to work hard, you should be allowed at the minimum a modest living. I see way too many people who don't work hard and are given great livings and opportunities that the poor never get.

Not raising minimum wage isn't the answer. What is the answer is stopping a trade deficit. In otherwords NAFTA needs to be thrown out and we need to stop allowing companies to setup shop in the third world if they want to do business here. That'll shrink the labour pool and create opportunities inside America.
    but third world countries have poor people too. a lot more actually. and they may need the jobs as much as any americans, if not more. (even though they are paid much less compared to if the factory is in the US).

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    but third world countries have poor people too. a lot more actually. and they may need the jobs as much as any americans, if not more. (even though they are paid much less compared to if the factory is in the US).
    That's their country's problem, not ours. I know it sounds kind of heartless especially when I'm trying to be the advocate for better conditions, but we have to look out for the prosperity of our nation.
    Black and canesfan804 like this.

^^^ but thats not capitalism. Thats why companies are setting up shop in asia. Because its all about business.

AD

That's their country's problem, not ours. I know it sounds kind of heartless especially when I'm trying to be the advocate for better conditions, but we have to look out for the prosperity of our nation.
    I am not very familiar with the US system, but I feel there may be a problem with the allocation and utilisation of funds. How can the only superpower in the world be trillions in debt and yet the citizens are complaining of poverty?
    canesfan804 likes this.

I am not very familiar with the US system, but I feel there may be a problem with the allocation and utilisation of funds. How can the only superpower in the world be trillions in debt and yet the citizens are complaining of poverty?
    Taxes in the usa are very low. And there government just loves to spend on the peoples credit card.
    canesfan804 likes this.

AD

Taxes in the usa are very low. And there government just loves to spend on the peoples credit card.
    Sigh. It's not a problem that can be solved in our lifetime.
    Euroholic likes this.

It's not just a funds issue. We've essentially moved production in to the third world so our infrastructure for production no longer exists. The good jobs that used to exist are leaving and what's left are these low-paying service jobs.

The one thing we have still is a reasonable amount of capital in the private sector and our country still has enough energy and natural resources. If the government stepped in and prevented the 1%ers from moving shop to the third world to exploit labour there at less than slave wages, there is a chance we could pull out of this.

AD

It's not just a funds issue. We've essentially moved production in to the third world so our infrastructure for production no longer exists. The good jobs that used to exist are leaving and what's left are these low-paying service jobs.

The one thing we have still is a reasonable amount of capital in the private sector and our country still has enough energy and natural resources. If the government stepped in and prevented the 1%ers from moving shop to the third world to exploit labour there at less than slave wages, there is a chance we could pull out of this.
    As a country develop and progress, doesn't it's economy become less and less dependent on production and manufacturing?

As a country develop and progress, doesn't it's economy become less and less dependent on production and manufacturing?
    Sure, if you got a cheaper labour pool elsewhere to exploit and control. But what happens to the people in the original country who worked those production jobs. What are they going to do now? We traded off our national security and power by making ourselves dependent upon wage slaves in the third world.

Now we got a bunch of service jobs that were once worked by kids now going to adults for the minimum wage that we all agree can't be lived on.

AD

Sure, if you got a cheaper labour pool elsewhere to exploit and control. But what happens to the people in the original country who worked those production jobs. What are they going to do now? We traded off our national security and power by making ourselves dependent upon wage slaves in the third world.

Now we got a bunch of service jobs that were once worked by kids now going to adults for the minimum wage that we all agree can't be lived on.
    As I'm sure you can tell by now, I don't major in economics. Lol. This is getting way over my head.

As I'm sure you can tell by now, I don't major in economics. Lol. This is getting way over my head.
    I didn't either. But you don't have to be an economist to be able to tell where we're heading and fast.

And this all comes back to over inflated populations.
    Black likes this.

Rwy
    Quote Originally Posted by ngtmarpete View Post

There are not many 18 year old making 70k a year. I would like to know what job you are speaking of. The economy is great right now for the right people but most are struggling. Texas is growing faster then most states.

Rwy
    My mates brother is 20 and clears 4grand a week. Crazy ay

His a rigger
    In Australian dollars? Your currency just hit a new high this week.

Rwy

Never going to stop until lobbying has ended. Too many CEO'S/Corporations line politicians pockets.
    evander87 likes this.

AD
    I didn't either. But you don't have to be an economist to be able to tell where we're heading and fast.
    hey i just thought of something.

in a developed country, its manufacturing sector is supposed to evolve. due to better education and better technology, factories in developed countries move from making Nike shirts and shoes to making cars and planes. this is probably more profitable and therefore the workers command a higher pay, compared to if they were just making nike shoes.

just like BMWs are still made in germany, not cambodia.

Rwy
    My family is in high end fashion and most of the clothes used to be made in france and italy but not its all made in china. $350 Cole Haan shoes made in China. Probably costs them 5 bucks.
    canesfan804 likes this.

in a developed country, its manufacturing sector is supposed to evolve. due to better education and better technology, factories in developed countries move from making Nike shirts and shoes to making cars and planes. this is probably more profitable and therefore the workers command a higher pay, compared to if they were just making nike shoes.

But we really don't make cars anymore in America. It's cheaper for the US makers to just have them made in Mexico. In fact, a lot of the designing has moved there too.

AD
    But we really don't make cars anymore in America. It's cheaper for the US makers to just have them made in Mexico. In fact, a lot of the designing has moved there too.
    what i'm trying to say is, the workers need to evolve to stay competitive. if you're making the same shoes, and people elsewhere can make them as well as you at a cheaper price, then you'll lose out. either you make it better and/or faster, or you make something else that they can't. your workers are better educated and your technology is more advanced.

but seriously, is manufacturing considered a desirable job?

Rwy
    Taxes in the US are low. Are you crazy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post
    Taxes in the US are low. Are you crazy lol
    Usa is not even in top 20. Australia is in top 10

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Mate,
    Social security was never designed nor meant to be the sole financial means of supporting one's self during retirement. It is a social safety net that is intended to help prevent some from destitution, homelessness, and starvation. The underlying principles were spawned after the great depression, a time where people were desperate, and the public outcry was for government to do "something". This is the dawn of socialism in our country. Over time, the amounts of the benefits have gone up, yet the number of workers supporting recipients of SS benefits has gone down with the graying of America. Even worse, retirees now rely heavily on SS benefits as their primary means of support. Today, for every dollar a worker earns, 15% is taxed and sent to the SSA.

Now, let's look at "minimum Wage". Our country has went through a lot since the industrialization of America. We have seen 7 day work weeks, 14 hour days, and ten year old children working in coal mines, assembly lines, and in "Laundry Services". Being paid starvation wages, the companies had all the control, and the workers were desperate, feeling as if they had no choice. Minimum Wage laws were enacted to help prevent some of these abuses during a time where the government began to define standard work days and weeks. It was a blight for many to see workers living in shanties, unable to provide even the most basic of necessities, beyond meager shelters, food, and water. The government began to affect changes, slowly changing the hearts and minds of it's voters. The taxes that automatically came out of the workers checks to support these government programs seemed painless as it doesn't come directly out of your wallet. They get theirs before you get yours.

But that isn't the realities of today. In our era, the unemployment rate is relatively low. People enjoy a wide variety of services and benefits by working for employers. Community colleges are fairly inexpensive. There are tech schools and a variety of other institutions set up that directly or indirectly effect unemployment rates.

Ultimately, the workers of today have a lot more control over what happens to them. Have you noticed that some individuals are never satisfied with their status, and work their tails off to self improve? And there are those that can't hardly wait for the end of their shift so they can go home and have a cold one and kick back.

At Walmart, my impression is that the overwhelming percentage of employees fall into the latter category as opposed to the former.

And the Walmart employee profile seems to fit as the profile of the individual most likely to benefit from a minimum wage pay raise.

My point is this. Minimum wage was never designed as the wage you will receive over the course of your progressive career. it is meant as a stop gap to prevent some of the abuses of the past. it is not intended nor designed to provide you a comfortable lifestyle. This is, after all, a capitalistic society as well as a socialistic society. If you want more than minimum wage, be prepared to earn it.
    almostgone likes this.

DB1982 is offline Member
    Figured I'd post this.
    I'm sure those who oppose a minimum wage increase will cry .

But it's merely to open your eyes about how Walmart uses our government as a revolving income while also collecting
    Corporate Welfare ( taxbreaks).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vAcaeLmybCY

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    Mate,
    Social security was never designed nor meant to be the sole financial means of supporting one's self during retirement. It is a social safety net that is intended to help prevent some from destitution, homelessness, and starvation. The underlying principles were spawned after the great depression, a time where people were desperate, and the public outcry was for government to do "something". This is the dawn of socialism in our country. Over time, the amounts of the benefits have gone up, yet the number of workers supporting recipients of SS benefits has gone down with the graying of America. Even worse, retirees now rely heavily on SS benefits as their primary means of support. Today, for every dollar a worker earns, 15% is taxed and sent to the SSA.

Now, let's look at "minimum Wage". Our country has went through a lot since the industrialization of America. We have seen 7 day work weeks, 14 hour days, and ten year old children working in coal mines, assembly lines, and in "Laundry Services". Being paid starvation wages, the companies had all the control, and the workers were desperate, feeling as if they had no choice. Minimum Wage laws were enacted to help prevent some of these abuses during a time where the government began to define standard work days and weeks. It was a blight for many to see workers living in shanties, unable to provide even the most basic of necessities, beyond meager shelters, food, and water. The government began to affect changes, slowly changing the hearts and minds of it's voters. The taxes that automatically came out of the workers checks to support these government programs seemed painless as it doesn't come directly out of your wallet. They get theirs before you get yours.

But that isn't the realities of today. In our era, the unemployment rate is relatively low. People enjoy a wide variety of services and benefits by working for employers. Community colleges are fairly inexpensive. There are tech schools and a variety of other institutions set up that directly or indirectly effect unemployment rates.

Ultimately, the workers of today have a lot more control over what happens to them. Have you noticed that some individuals are never satisfied with their status, and work their tails off to self improve? And there are those that can't hardly wait for the end of their shift so they can go home and have a cold one and kick back.

At Walmart, my impression is that the overwhelming percentage of employees fall into the latter category as opposed to the former.

And the Walmart employee profile seems to fit as the profile of the individual most likely to benefit from a minimum wage pay raise.

My point is this. Minimum wage was never designed as the wage you will receive over the course of your progressive career. it is meant as a stop gap to prevent some of the abuses of the past. it is not intended nor designed to provide you a comfortable lifestyle. This is, after all, a capitalistic society as well as a socialistic society. If you want more than minimum wage, be prepared to earn it.
    Man..... I wish I was compensated for my hard work. I start at 10am and have to work till 7pm minimum. I'm often there until 10-11pm and sometimes later..... Pushing 2am. There are 6 guys in my department..... 3 of us put in a lot because we love what we do. The other 3 make sure they're out by 7pm..... Yet since we're all on salary..... We all make the same.

It sucks...... The number reflect our hard work when you look at them but the company looks at it as a whole so when the other guys perform like shit..... We suffer.
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard

Man..... I wish I was compensated for my hard work. I start at 10am and have to work till 7pm minimum. I'm often there until 10-11pm and sometimes later..... Pushing 2am. There are 6 guys in my department..... 3 of us put in a lot because we love what we do. The other 3 make sure they're out by 7pm..... Yet since we're all on salary..... We all make the same.

It sucks...... The number reflect our hard work when you look at them but the company looks at it as a whole so when the other guys perform like shit..... We suffer.
    Why can't u leave like the rest? I am wired to be conscientious and fall into the same trap. My hourly rate sucks! We are the fools?!?!?

canesfan804 is offline Member

Funny part is the high end Nike's (Jordans) were $120 a pair when I was growing up and they were made here. Now the make them in China or wherever and the cost $250 a pair. Im all for a man making profit but damn do they need to cut production cost AND raise prices? I know they can but just seems a bit greedy to me.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canesfan804

Funny part is the high end Nike's (Jordans) were $120 a pair when I was growing up and they were made here. Now the make them in China or wherever and the cost $250 a pair. Im all for a man making profit but damn do they need to cut production cost AND raise prices? I know they can but just seems a bit greedy to me.
    Well they could do what my favorite work boot company did recently. Move production back to the US and use lower quality materials to offset labor costs.

AD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    Well they could do what my favorite work boot company did recently. Move production back to the US and use lower quality materials to offset labor costs.
    not your favorite anymore, i imagine?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information