Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marcus300

Thread: Roman's Chess Chat

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Roman's Chess Chat

I'm thinking this is the place we come to discuss all things chess related. Chess was a big part of my life early on, and now I just enjoy a game every now and then.

I know what you blokes are thinking.....
    ........What's Roman smoking, right?

Well, Uncle Roman here don't smoke, and this is a semi serious effort to drum up some interest over the board.

So gather round mates, and lets swap some stories about our passion...............

See, my dad taught me how to play when I was five. He had a few books on the subject. By about the second grade, I dove into it and began reading all his books. Keep in mind, this was the old Standard Notation, not the "new" Algebraic system. So I "read" every book cover to cover several times. "Read" is a misnomer, as you don't read as much as you study and go through the moves. It got to the point where I wanted to be a Master. Came close. Played in some tournaments. Played a few that were highly regarded in the circles I traveled in. And I was rated too.

I'm sure everyone here plays chess, the "Kings Game" right?

So I'm thinking it would be interesting to hear about your background and training.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Never was a fan of chess, I had a few periods of time where I tried to play but there was no one to play with during the times I was interested.

My interests usually come in spurts, I wanted to be in the army for a long time as a kid, then I wanted to be a professional skateboarder for 5 years, after that I got really good at tennis over 4-5 years, until eventually falling off the rails until coming back and finding a passion for lifting and helping others.

All of my passions have been very obsessive, I'm autistic on the low end of the scale and when I find something I enjoy or am passionate about it consumes my life and becomes my every thought.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Yeah really got into it years ago. Had a friend that was rated 1800 and he would just beat up on me all the time, but I learned a lot. Actually 'almost' best him once.

Had all the phone apps and am a member of chess.com, etc. but haven't played for years. I have the roll out tournament set and a few other sets down in the basement. One of them I paid over a $100 for and it's all marble and heavy as hell.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    This is my chess partner:

Blog Entries
    I aways get DESTROYED by the CPU when playing chess online during class, on my mac. It's an extremely hard game IMO because you kind of have to dictate yours, and other peoples moves ahead of time in order to be successful. I can't imagine how hard it would be if i had to use a clock and time my turns ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    Yeah really got into it years ago. Had a friend that was rated 1800 and he would just beat up on me all the time, but I learned a lot. Actually 'almost' best him once.

Had all the phone apps and am a member of chess.com, etc. but haven't played for years. I have the roll out tournament set and a few other sets down in the basement. One of them I paid over a $100 for and it's all marble and heavy as hell.
    I played in tournaments until around the age of 11 or 12, when I was rated at about 1800, like your friend. I still studied and went to my weekly lessons for a couple more years, but didn't go to any more tournaments, the only way to obtain and maintain your FIDE rating.

I was in Afghanistan and posted on the Expat bulletin board looking for a game. Hooked up with a German bloke that taught English/German and he was rated 1500. We each won a game and then I left. Felt good to know that after all these years of inactivity, I was still competitive with others that compete.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Been a while since I've played.

My grandpa taught me how to play at a young age. I think I only beat him once

I need to start playing again

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00
    Been a while since I've played. My grandpa taught me how to play at a young age. I think I only beat him once I need to start playing again
    Definitely stimulates the mind. What's up RC?!?

Deal Me In is offline Member
    I love the game but it just takes to much time. As a teenager I got up to around 1500 I think but just didn't have the time to study the game like I needed to. Playing soccer was going to pay for my college so that took up all of my time. I would study chess in the off season but as soon as it warmed up I was back on the pitch.

After that, it got to hard to find games. There just aren't enough Americans that play the game, even casually. Hell, at this point I've forgotten even the most basic openings.

jesse4466 is offline Member
    I used to play quite a bit with friends . Some games lasted hours. I used to play random people online also a lot.

The problem with chess is it can get very competitive, you become very passionate and take it personal when you lose or are losing, similar to one-on-one sports like tennis, I presume..

this led to some uncomfortable situations, name calling the other player, getting aggressive, cursing, etc.. This used to happen a lot when I would play people online.

Chess is very competitive and if you hate to lose you will understand, this is how it is..Losing can be irritating.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Fuk me TR your scrapping the barrel with this one lol .
    You still on the pain meds?
    Bodacious likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Fuk me TR your scrapping the barrel with this one lol .
    You still on the pain meds?
    so yer thinking this square peg of a thread don't fit in the round hole of a bodybuilding forum? =)

Thread Information