Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Iranon
  • 1 Post By Cuz

Thread: Cold Showers

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)

Lightbulb Cold Showers

I came back from Germany last month, and after seeing how the Germans get in and out of cold baths, I decided I need to attain this ability.

So I haven't had a warm bath/shower for about 2-3 weeks. I turn the dial all the way to cold, so I'm getting water at the temperature it's coming from the mains water supply, which isn't too bad now in the month of August in Ireland, Europe.

I take the cold water in 4 steps: 1) Back pelvis, 2) front pelvis, 3) glutes and entire legs, 4) everywhere else

Even after having been doing this for 3-4 weeks, I still feel a little apprehension going from Step 3 to Step 4, but the first 3 steps are enough to motivate me into Step 4

If you watch YouTube videos and read testimonies of people who only take cold showers talking about all kinds of 'methods' with Dutch/German/Scandinavian people's names, they tell you that you'll reach a point where you look forward to taking a cold shower. I think these people might be telling white lies to motivate people, because after 3-4 weeks, I'm still not looking forward to them -- in fact I'll put it off til I need to get dressed to leave the house.

Those 2 minutes of turmoil in the shower in the morning are worth it though. Primarily I'm interested in the psychological effect, it makes you more resilient. There are other benefits too though, feeling refreshed, closing your skin pores, raising metabolic rate, boosting the immune system to make more white blood cells.

I'll let you all know if I ever look forward to taking a cold shower -- it might never happen. For the time being I'm content that the 2 minutes of turmoil is worthwhile and I don't regret it.

I'm hoping I can keep this up going into Autumn and Winter. In Wintertime, the tap water in Ireland is very cold (you need to let it rise to room temperature before putting in a goldfish), so I'm hoping that over the next few months, I'll be able to blissfully tolerate colder and colder water. I really hope I can still take a cold shower in early January.

I'm not quite as brave as I thought I was. I used a thermometer on my tap water today at home, it's 62 degrees Fahrenheit. That's not cold.

The water temperature will gradually decrease to around about 43 degrees F in January. I'm just hoping that it decreases slowly enough for me to get used to it. I'll be honest though... the thoughts of having a 43 F shower when the temperature outside is 29 F will probably have me wondering what I'm doing with my life. It would be really cool though if I could keep this cold shower streak going through to Spring.

It has taken me about 5 - 6 weeks of only taking cold showers, but I'm beginning to feel addicted to it. For example when I feel a bit stressed or pissed off, I think to take a cold shower. It definitely feels like an addiction.

I ordered the book, "The Wim Hof Method", and I'm hoping it arrives in a day or two.

Also I sent Wim an email and he replied.

Still haven't had a warm shower since mid-July.

I was at a Cider festival two days ago and there was a person selling chilli sauce. He had them laid out on the table in order of 'hotness'. I bought the hottest one.

So now before I take a cold shower, I put a little of the hot sauce in my mouth. This stuff makes me sweat and feel flushed, and my vision even goes a tiny little bit blury. So that's the perfect time to get under the cold water.

It's over 2 months now since I've had a warm shower. This morning I was laughing in the shower. Taking a mouthful of chilli beforehand makes it more interesting.

So I've been having cold showers since September last year.

Yesterday was the first day I actually got brain freeze from a cold shower, so I went and bought a thermometer today and measured my tap water: 42 degrees F (about 5.5 degrees centigrade).

Iranon is offline Associate Member
    Cold showers are for the poor, I always take hot showers for however long as I want.
    Mooseman33 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iranon View Post
    Cold showers are for the poor, I always take hot showers for however long as I want.
    Pampering yourself too often makes you soft.

Also I make a distinction between financially poor and spiritually poor.

6.2 degrees celsius = 43.16 degrees fahrenheit

Two days ago I stayed in 43.16 °F water up to my neck for 20 minutes.

I'm considering finding a Wim Hof instructor in Ireland and doing a day with him.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Not getting enough feedback through your other accounts I guess…have you tried other forums?
    Cylon357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Not getting enough feedback through your other accounts I guess…have you tried other forums?
    Cuz . . . really . . .

If you have a real question for me then I'll try to answer it.

If you think I'm posting under different names then ask me if I am.

Thread Information