• 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By KittyO1
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun

Thread: Extreme Loss of flexibility

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man

Extreme Loss of flexibility

Ok this is not just from growth.
    My hips have always had little rotational ability.
    I never could sit cross legged even as a child. My hips simply hurt like hell if I try to sit that way.

Shoulders are very similar now.
    If I try ro do an rc warmup, with a cable, with my elbow at my side, rotating my arm from across my stomach to outward max extension; it literally will not go any further than ponting straight forward. It stops cold.

Watch vid at :40 sec notice how this girly guys hand goes way the F out to his side. Hell no.
    That would dislocate my shoulder before that happened.

I cannot throw overhanded.
    I cannot put my ankle on my opposite knee.
    I cannot reach my face or neck with a full arm pump.
    I struggle putting socks on and wiping my ass at times. Even without a pump I cannot reach my traps.

I cant hardly take a damn shirt off or put one on without a battle. I cant turn my head for shit. It makes me dizzy trying. I cant look up for shit.
    My ball joints have become hinge joints.
    I cant sleep the way I need to on my side without shoulder pain. My elbows at full extension with my arms at my side, when laying on my back, do not straighten enough that my hands touch the bed. This also puts pressure on my shoulders that causes discomfort.

Its not because I dont stretch.
    Fuck i never have seen a male at the gym stretch unless he was a little queer fella there to bounce around with weights.

I have arthritis but its not a cause of the ROM issue I am certain. Its not pain that stops the movement its just all the fkin joint will allow.

What the hell is causing my rapid rigor mortis?
    Its not too much mass. There are 300 lb monsters with much better ROM than me.

This is in the lounge because of habit/laziness.
    Cowboymike likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Recall seeing Marcus mentioning not being able to reach around when he hit a certain size..270ish or in that neighborhood. Also advocated deep tissue roller for digging into muscle.

I’ve been getting very deep tissue massages (I get bruising and I don’t bruise readily) from therapist with advanced training. After 3 months of EOW, he’s finally getting movement and I’ve noticed have more flexibility and am stronger. He said my knots caused impingements - restricting ability to move and strength.

I’m sure some of bigger guys will be able to help!
    RaginCajun, KennyJ, EDCG19 and 1 others like this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    My take is this.

You’ve got a history of RA right? Check with a Rheumatologist.

Your hips were likely born with a rotational deformity (not that unusual) and/or the head of the femur(s) is/are misshapen a bit. In time you will likely need hip replacements. You will know when the hips start to go, the pain starts in your groin, near your balls (that’s where the hip joint is).

Regarding the shoulders, again, could be RA. However, the lack of that much external rotation is not good. Shoulders are notorious for getting frozen & stuck. The problem with that is that the lack of ER is going to significantly contribute to degeneration of your RC and arthritis. You need a LOT of aggressive and painful manual therapy.

The dizziness could be several things, but it seems most likely to be nerve entrapment between the muscles of the neck.
    Obs and KennyJ like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    My take is this.

You’ve got a history of RA right? Check with a Rheumatologist.

Your hips were likely born with a rotational deformity (not that unusual) and/or the head of the femur(s) is/are misshapen a bit. In time you will likely need hip replacements. You will know when the hips start to go, the pain starts in your groin, near your balls (that’s where the hip joint is).

Regarding the shoulders, again, could be RA. However, the lack of that much external rotation is not good. Shoulders are notorious for getting frozen & stuck. The problem with that is that the lack of ER is going to significantly contribute to degeneration of your RC and arthritis. You need a LOT of aggressive and painful manual therapy.

The dizziness could be several things, but it seems most likely to be nerve entrapment between the muscles of the neck.
    Makes a lot of sense.
    Bad joints and hip teplacements are in my family.
    My RA hurts my hands and elbows mostly.
    As a kid I remember telling the music teacher I couldnt sit "indian style" becaise it hurt my hips. I was 8 or so and the bitch kicked me out of class. Would still like to go look her up and kick her in the hip.

Anyway shoulders are getting retardedly seized.
    Its all I can do to get a straight front double bicep.
    Shoulders is most annoying. Cant even throw a football to my sons without underhanding it.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Recall seeing Marcus mentioning not being able to reach around when he hit a certain size..270ish or in that neighborhood. Also advocated deep tissue roller for digging into muscle.

I’ve been getting very deep tissue massages (I get bruising and I don’t bruise readily) from therapist with advanced training. After 3 months of EOW, he’s finally getting movement and I’ve noticed have more flexibility and am stronger. He said my knots caused impingements - restricting ability to move and strength.

I’m sure some of bigger guys will be able to help!
    I have seen the rollers but I dont think I could reach myself to roll lol

I may try a massage. Trouble is I probably need 4 per week and cant budget it

Obs
    Chiro laughed when he saw that I couldn't put my ankle on my knee. He said I needed to do yoga.
    I dont have time for yoga. Only classes are at time when I am not available. They set those up between school hours so stay at home mas can make it.

I honestly dont see how yoga would help.
    Its just gonna be some kid that doesnt know what to do when they see I cant sit cross legged. Also dont want to be the freak show.

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Makes a lot of sense.
    Bad joints and hip teplacements are in my family.
    My RA hurts my hands and elbows mostly.
    As a kid I remember telling the music teacher I couldnt sit "indian style" becaise it hurt my hips. I was 8 or so and the bitch kicked me out of class. Would still like to go look her up and kick her in the hip.

Anyway shoulders are getting retardedly seized.
    Its all I can do to get a straight front double bicep.
    Shoulders is most annoying. Cant even throw a football to my sons without underhanding it.
    The hips can always be replaced when the pain gets to be too much. The hip ROM limitations shouldn't mean a damn thing to your workouts.

The shoulder however - good luck, as you are flirting with serious danger.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Deep tissue massage and stretching as far as you can take it
    You probably need some help from Kelly or Defranco if you say your mobility is that bad and has always been horrible
    Check out some of his work if you haven't already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Jo2slRguM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eveYJP1indI

Defranco has a ton of stuff on mobility
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8iC2qBAjLs
    This one is important. I have been doing these kind of stretches for years and it does help somewhat especially with the hips/hamstring stretches
    it works..

you can also use the foam rollers but imo if your mobility is that bad the rollers wont help, you need deep, DEEP tissue work to break down the fibers

I have seen the rollers but I dont think I could reach myself to roll lol

I may try a massage. Trouble is I probably need 4 per week and cant budget it
    I’ve spend good $ on crapy massages...there’s deep tissue and there is therapeutic deep tissue. It took me a long while to find therapeutic deep.

Sorry, I didn’t realize you have RA and I have no awareness if cycle is causing more inflammation in joints (due to water retention) since I don’t know men’s cycles.

RC surgery is No fun. Recovery was painful and long....months and months of 3x week therapy. Wouldn’t wish this on worse enemy.

Chiro laughed when he saw that I couldn't put my ankle on my knee. He said I needed to do yoga.
    I dont have time for yoga. Only classes are at time when I am not available. They set those up between school hours so stay at home mas can make it.

I honestly dont see how yoga would help.
    Its just gonna be some kid that doesnt know what to do when they see I cant sit cross legged. Also dont want to be the freak show.
    Yoga is hard for me to get to during week cuz of work. U can do at home. YouTube!

—break——

I’m the freak show on the men’s side of gym lifting 12# lateral raises next to guys like YOU. It doesn’t stop me!!! My goals are more important than what other people think.

Your health is more important than what others think!
    Cylon357, Obs and KennyJ like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    I’ve spend good $ on crapy massages...there’s deep tissue and there is therapeutic deep tissue. It took me a long while to find therapeutic deep.

Sorry, I didn’t realize you have RA and I have no awareness if cycle is causing more inflammation in joints (due to water retention) since I don’t know men’s cycles.

RC surgery is No fun. Recovery was painful and long....months and months of 3x week therapy. Wouldn’t wish this on worse enemy.
    The RA is held at bay with Deca .
    It does a fantastic job.
    I dont think RA is causing any of the ROM issues.
    I got cortisone injections in my knucles long before Sons of anarchy came out. I discovered deca and I have to say its way more effective than cortisone and it spares me having to get those disgusting needles in my knucles.

My RA is not bad and I dare not complain about it.
    A shoulder surgery would make my life fall apart.
    Work is one thing but I couldnt bear to lose what I have created. I would get depressed... and no telling.

I will try to find a good therapeutic massaage therapist and devote some screen time to stretching/yoga.

Thx
    KennyJ likes this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    I will try to find a good therapeutic massaage therapist and devote some screen time to stretching/yoga.
    your going to need a good pair of Yoga pants

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    Deep tissue massage and stretching as far as you can take it
    You probably need some help from Kelly or Defranco if you say your mobility is that bad and has always been horrible
    Check out some of his work if you haven't already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Jo2slRguM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eveYJP1indI

Defranco has a ton of stuff on mobility
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8iC2qBAjLs
    This one is important. I have been doing these kind of stretches for years and it does help somewhat especially with the hips/hamstring stretches
    it works..

you can also use the foam rollers but imo if your mobility is that bad the rollers wont help, you need deep, DEEP tissue work to break down the fibers
    I need a four foot asian
    KennyJ and RaginCajun like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    your going to need a good pair of Yoga pants
    Will send pictures
    KennyJ likes this.

Lots of deep tissue work & stretching on:

Pec Major, Latissimus Doris & Teres Major (these are the big internal rotators that need to be stretched so that you can externally rotate).

Pec Minor is a b****h and a half to get to and it is pure torture, but it helps free up the scapula for improved shoulder motion.

Start working the external rotators, because they are starting to weaken due to the lack of full motion. Yeah, you’re going to look like the girly guy from the video.

You may need a physical therapist to mobilize & stretch the shoulder joint itself because it is adhesed already. If jthere is scar tissue formed, which is possible as you are experiencing something in medical terms called a hard end feel (pain doesn’t limit your motion, something in the joint does), they will have to tear through it. I would have to become a sadist in these cases and go for the feel & delicate sound of tissue paper tearing as the patient screams. A towel in your mouth will help (no, not kidding). It’s that or they put you under and tear/cut through it while anesthetized.

The neck & dizziness is more of a delicate issue and you need someone trained that can stretch the muscles and start mobilizing the vertebrae. If it’s a blood flow issue, which it could be, you don’t want an untrained person to stroke you out.

You have your work cut out for you, have fun.
    KennyJ and Obs like this.

KennyJ is offline Member
    I hope you find some relief and mobility man.
    I'm not sure if it could even cause what your having but are you drinking a lot of water to keep from dehydrating?
    Something that's bothering me is if I bend my arm up toward my face while sleeping I will wake up with numb or tingling hand. On either side. I figure it's the nerves in my arms. If they are straight this doesn't happen but if sleeping on my side my arm always ends up bent.
    Didn't mean to start in on my problems on your thread. I truly hope you find something that works.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyJ View Post
    I hope you find some relief and mobility man.
    I'm not sure if it could even cause what your having but are you drinking a lot of water to keep from dehydrating?
    Something that's bothering me is if I bend my arm up toward my face while sleeping I will wake up with numb or tingling hand. On either side. I figure it's the nerves in my arms. If they are straight this doesn't happen but if sleeping on my side my arm always ends up bent.
    Didn't mean to start in on my problems on your thread. I truly hope you find something that works.
    Not my thread its community property brother.
    Post anything you want.
    I cant complsin too much, it doesnt hurt much

I have considered that maybe too much tren and test is turning my entire body into an erection.
    I feel like a walking hard on. I just kinda bounce around from place to place. My hands go numb too possibly from tight muscle around nerves. Have had issues with compartment syndrome as well
    KennyJ likes this.

Mooseman33 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    my 6 year old got me into yoga and its the best thing I have done in years.

I do basic simple shit but its great man. stretching and yoga is not just of the weak or whatever, treat ur body right and u can look great and feel great.

and im 240-245.

age is going to clobber you young brotha
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    I cant do this diamond dallas page shit.

I need something NOT breathing and gay shit.

I AINT TRYING TO FREE MY FUCKING SPIRIT I NEED ROM
    KennyJ likes this.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I have mild scoliosis and have had flexibility issues my entire life. Before my gym life started at 17 I was a stationary play games type.

At 17 I decided I would take on the world.. In the gym. My ROM sucked and 6 months later after several way too heavy too soon barbell benches and behind the neck pulldowns I had managed to tear my rotator cuff. I wouldspend a couple of months off to let it heal, then get back into a routine, the whole time unable to sleep because my shoulder was in pain. This went on for years.

I started doing rotator cuff prehab movements 3x a week in my mid 20s. My shoulder strength, stability and ROM went from garbage to great. I switched to dumbbells for bench. My chest went from my worst body part to my best.

What I learned is really simple.

The way I do prehab/rehab movements 3x a week for my shoulders and it made my quality of life and lifts improve dramatically.. You have to find a way to do that for your entire body. Im almost 40 and im completely convinced of this. Now whether you do that via yoga or quite literally googling “hip rehab”, “knee rehab” etc everyone must figure out for themselves. Also this always rubs people the wrong way but the human body is not meant to move 100s of pounds into your old age. Many of the people winning trophies and medals are on prescription painkillers (I take kratom everyday.. its a life saver look it up if youre in pain. Its better than advil or tylenol ive done my own tests).

My shoulder/upper routine:
    Band innies
    Band outies
    Baseball pitching motions
    Speed jab motions
    Clenching/unclenching band handle
    Rotator cuff lifts with band - do these last and light-med resistance these are tricky
    Hang off bar (you can use pull up assist pad)
    Chest high and low stretch

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I have mild scoliosis and have had flexibility issues my entire life. Before my gym life started at 17 I was a stationary play games type.

At 17 I decided I would take on the world.. In the gym. My ROM sucked and 6 months later after several way too heavy too soon barbell benches and behind the neck pulldowns I had managed to tear my rotator cuff. I wouldspend a couple of months off to let it heal, then get back into a routine, the whole time unable to sleep because my shoulder was in pain. This went on for years.

I started doing rotator cuff prehab movements 3x a week in my mid 20s. My shoulder strength, stability and ROM went from garbage to great. I switched to dumbbells for bench. My chest went from my worst body part to my best.

The way I do prehab/rehab movements 3x a week for my shoulders and it made my quality of life and lifts improve dramatically.. You have to find a way to do that for your entire body. Im almost 40 and im completely convinced of this. Now whether you do that via yoga or quite literally googling “hip rehab”, “knee rehab” etc everyone must figure out for themselves. Also this always rubs people the wrong way but the human body is not meant to move 100s of pounds into your old age. Many of the people winning trophies and medals are on prescription painkillers (I take kratom everyday.. its a life saver look it up if youre in pain. Its better than advil or tylenol ive done my own tests).

Band innies
    Band outies
    Speed jab motions
    Rotator cuff lifts with band - do these last and light-med resistance these are tricky
    Well Hello!!!
    RaginCajun likes this.

Obs

Band innies
    Band outies
    Speed jab motions
    Thx.

I found a couple stretches for shoulders that are helping.
    KennyJ likes this.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Obs,

If you want to get on stage (At least I remember reading that was your goal) you should do anything that is required to get there. If that means you got to put on yoga pants and stretch in a "gay" way so be it. If you are not willing to do whatever it takes maybe you are not meant to be a winner?

My 2c, not sure it's worth that much!

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Obs,

If you want to get on stage (At least I remember reading that was your goal) you should do anything that is required to get there. If that means you got to put on yoga pants and stretch in a "gay" way so be it. If you are not willing to do whatever it takes maybe you are not meant to be a winner?

My 2c, not sure it's worth that much!
    No I understand that but I dont have time to follow a bunch of relaxation breathing etc.

I can turn myself off like a switch and relax.
    I found some stretches I can do that are helping but the whole yoga philosophy gets included in all the videos and it will not ever be compatible with me.

A winner is not a winner until he wins.
    I may not be a winner. We wont know until I have crossed my peak and lay down my guns.
    I am not knocking yoga but I cannot do that.
    I can stretch but most of the videos open with a guy sitting cross legged talking about freeing his mind. I don't smoke weed for a reason. My wiring is set up for all in balls out and not peaceful moments of relaxation.

I very well could be a loser
    tarmyg likes this.

You're a f'n winner if I ever saw one - your 2 1/2 year turn around is miraculous. Fuck that loser shit.

Hey, do you feel any shoulder stretch when you just hang from a pull-up bar?
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    You're a f'n winner if I ever saw one - your 2 1/2 year turn around is miraculous. Fuck that loser shit.

I appreciate that.
    My stretch that is most effective has been to raise my arms over my head as far back as possible and lower them with elbows bending at 90°.
    I do it three times between sets and incoporate a high mount barbell sometimes.

Just arms day pumps my delts so bad it hurts like hell. Its improving but will be a long process. I put a long handle brush in my gym bag to wash my hair neck and back.

Obs

I have fully understood though this is why bb's break down after making IFBB. The road is a motherfucker.
    It costs a lot. Trips to hospital and family time plus never really being any place but the gym in your mind

Bodybuilding is a cancer.
    Last edited by Obs; 03-25-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    KittyO1 likes this.

KittyO1 is offline Female Member
    Have you ever heard of or tried having ART work done? There are chiropractors and physical therapist that specialize in this particular therapy that basically combines stretching, alignment, & tissue manipulation. They dig in deep similar to deep tissue massage but with the full function of the body in mind. This site explains more and lists the ones near you. I had some work done when I injured my hip. Good thing too, is your insurance will often cover a certain number of visits.
    http://www.activerelease.com/about.asp

Also, this is a guy not too far from me, not sure where you live but I’m sure there are places that do similar approaches. It’s called body tempering. I haven’t personally been but have heard many people talk about how much it helps.
    https://bodytempering.com/body-tempering/

It really does sound like it’s not just stretching you need, like in yoga. It’s more that you’re literally in knots and can’t really move! Once those knots are broken down, stretching would help keep the mobility and hopefully improve over time. I’m like you on the yoga, I can’t just sit there like that. I can turn myself “off” just fine I don’t need that but I do like the poses and stretches for functioning purposes! Lol
    Obs and Proximal like this.

~“We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus.” Acts 15:11~‬ *NLT‬‬
    ‬‬

Exactly Kitty!

When you lie on your back, can you put your hands behind your head? If so can the elbows drop or are they stuck pointed to the ceiling?
    Last edited by Proximal; 03-25-2019 at 06:38 PM.

No I understand that but I dont have time to follow a bunch of relaxation breathing etc.

I can turn myself off like a switch and relax.
    I found some stretches I can do that are helping but the whole yoga philosophy gets included in all the videos and it will not ever be compatible with me.

A winner is not a winner until he wins.
    I may not be a winner. We wont know until I have crossed my peak and lay down my guns.
    I am not knocking yoga but I cannot do that.
    I can stretch but most of the videos open with a guy sitting cross legged talking about freeing his mind. I don't smoke weed for a reason. My wiring is set up for all in balls out and not peaceful moments of relaxation.

I very well could be a loser
    Loser?? I don’t think so.

My newer advanced massage therapist shared at last session...he’s worked on thousands of people and many many more types then echo, endo, mesomorph...skin thickness, pain tolerance, muscle tissue, etc.

You and I are wired very much the same. We ARE the people who benefit from deep tissue massage, deep stretching including yoga and meditation. I’m working on the meditation...I struggle with shutting off the 100 thoughts and to take time relax...and I’m a work in progress....working on being a better version of me.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyO1 View Post
    Have you ever heard of or tried having ART work done? There are chiropractors and physical therapist that specialize in this particular therapy that basically combines stretching, alignment, & tissue manipulation. They dig in deep similar to deep tissue massage but with the full function of the body in mind. This site explains more and lists the ones near you. I had some work done when I injured my hip. Good thing too, is your insurance will often cover a certain number of visits.
    http://www.activerelease.com/about.asp

Also, this is a guy not too far from me, not sure where you live but I’m sure there are places that do similar approaches. It’s called body tempering. I haven’t personally been but have heard many people talk about how much it helps.
    https://bodytempering.com/body-tempering/

It really does sound like it’s not just stretching you need, like in yoga. It’s more that you’re literally in knots and can’t really move! Once those knots are broken down, stretching would help keep the mobility and hopefully improve over time. I’m like you on the yoga, I can’t just sit there like that. I can turn myself “off” just fine I don’t need that but I do like the poses and stretches for functioning purposes! Lol
    I will look into it but I am in central US.
    Most big things happen on the coast.

I have had thos issue a long time.
    I hope my shoulders loosen up.
    They have less ROM constantly.
    At the rate I have been headed I wont be able to give a front double bicep pose
    KittyO1 likes this.

KittyO1 is offline Female Member
    I will look into it but I am in central US.
    Most big things happen on the coast.

I have had thos issue a long time.
    I hope my shoulders loosen up.
    They have less ROM constantly.
    At the rate I have been headed I wont be able to give a front double bicep pose
    Can’t have that! I’m sure they’re around you somewhere. The ART’s should be pretty easy to find. As for the body tempering- I’d try powerlifting gyms. There prone to ROM issues with the way they train! Not to mention the guy that came up with the tools is a PL!
    Obs likes this.

~“We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus.” Acts 15:11~‬ *NLT‬‬
    ‬‬

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    I need a four foot asian
    You just want a happy ending!
    Obs likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!

Band innies
    Band outies
    Speed jab motions
    He lives!!!!

Thread Information