Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: CC class. What should I look for???

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good on ya, GirlyGymRat! Never forget the axiom from the Old West: God might have made Man but it was Sam Colt who made all Men equal. With a gun and dollop of skill, even the tiniest woman is every ounce the equal of any man alive.

Call around to your local gun ranges and ask about NRA-certified instructors. Any good one will ask you what your goals are and tailor the classes to where your start point is and where you want to be at its end.

There's a gun range near my one-horse town that has a woman instructor who has impressed me. I've recommended her to several of the ladies in my family, not only because of her firearm expertise but also because she shares their woman's perspective. Women face more complex issues than men with concealed carry because of differences in the way we dress and differences in they way our parts are arranged (hips versus bellies and that sort of stuff).
    Also be aware that shooting somebody presents a very good chance of being cuffed and stuffed, even if it was a "righteous" shoot. Because that's just standard cop procedure. They want to make sure you can't disappear while they're taking their own sweet time to check out all the facts and making sure the shoot was justifiable. Check with your local jail and find out what their bail procedures are. Some places require cash bail, some places don't allow bail-bondsmen. If a bondsman decides to bail you, he puts up an amount equal to your bail so you can get sprung but at a substantial cost. It varies by jurisdiction but here it's 10%. So if your bail is $100k, the bondsman gets $10K for risking his $100K (which he loses if you don't make your court date). The least expensive and easiest way is property bail. Some jails keep copies of the county tax records. If you need $50k in bail and own property worth at least that, they will put a lien in that amount on your property and release you. Of course if you've got $50K lying around in the bank you can use that, too, but if the jail won't take debit cards you could be stuck in the cross-bar motel until the bank opens.

In any case, check your local bail procedure. Bonus points if you know a prominent local attorney who will take your calls a 2 a.m.

I don't mention this because I'm trying to scare you off from CCWing, but you should be aware that there can be consequences even if you were entirely in the right. And as the old saying goes, you'd rather be tried by 12 than carried away by six.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 02-29-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Proximal likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Beetle, God damn you are a man of very few words. But really learned from that post (and many others of yours), TY.

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Some “all inclusive” classes touch on this. It’s really my responsibility to know my rights.
    Yeah. And it’s your responsibility to know how to shoot too. And your manual of arms, but folks still look for classes for that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information