Like Tree71Likes

Thread: My past life before the fitness industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskevatten View Post
    What is the regular fair for a personal trainer in the US? Mean common, not IFBB Pro trainers
    Out here in a small town 25,000 population the going rate is $40 for a one hour session the trainer gets 70% of the cost per session. I've got a trainer friend in Hollywood Ca who trains some celebrities at a high end gym and they get $200 per hour.
    Last edited by diesel101; 11-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Fiskevatten likes this.

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    Out here in a small town 25,000 population the going rate is $40 for a one hour session the trainer gets 70% of the cost per session. I've got a trainer friend in Hollywood Ca who trains some celebrities at a high end gym and they get $200 per hour.
    Damn! Pretty decent
    I'm interested in the field but there are no customers in my country, you fend for few. However, Thailand where I usually live has started to become much more fitness inspired recent years.
    The amount of machines and preferably (handsome) buff white dudes with knowledge is high demand and has high amount of customers potential.
    Learn the lingo and a decent youtube channel would probably earn you a few million there in a few years.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Damn! Pretty decent
    I'm interested in the field but there are no customers in my country, you fend for few. However, Thailand where I usually live has started to become much more fitness inspired recent years.
    The amount of machines and preferably (handsome) buff white dudes with knowledge is high demand and has high amount of customers potential.
    Learn the lingo and a decent youtube channel would probably earn you a few million there in a few years.
    actually when you put it in perspective its not very decent at all . you probably can't live on that as your income and will need a second job.

ok lets say you have 20 training sessions per week. thats 800$ per week and you do that 50 weeks out of the year. thats $40,000.
    but unless you own your own gym your going to have to give the gym that you train clients at about a 30% cut of that. thats 12,000$.
    now your down to $28,000 per year.
    in order to be a trainer and be able to work at a gym and be contracted your also going to have to have your own liability insurance and set up as a business by the state.
    the insurance is about $1500 per year. the state is going to tax your small business at least at 15%. thats another 4,000$..

now that your overhead has been paid. you get to take home $22,500 per year . and thats IF you had no other expenses , like keeping up on your certification dues, advertising and marketing etc..

making 22,500 per year , where I live and most anywhere in the US is considered "extreme poverty" . you won't be able to afford rent or food. you'll be on welfare or have to live with your parents or friends.

you have to have a second job.

like I said .. fitness industry is NOT where the money is at, unfortunately
    diesel101 and Gallowmere like this.

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    actually when you put it in perspective its not very decent at all . you probably can't live on that as your income and will need a second job.

ok lets say you have 20 training sessions per week. thats 800$ per week and you do that 50 weeks out of the year. thats $40,000.
    but unless you own your own gym your going to have to give the gym that you train clients at about a 30% cut of that. thats 12,000$.
    in order to be a trainer and be able to work at a gym and be contracted your also going to have to have your own liability insurance and set up as a business by the state.
    the insurance is about $1500 per year. the state is going to tax your small business at least at 15%. thats another 4,000$..

now that your overhead has been paid. you get to take home $22,500 per year . and thats IF you had no other expenses , like keeping up on your certification dues, advertising and marketing etc..

making 22,500 per year , where I live and most anywhere in the US is considered "extreme poverty" . you won't be able to afford rent or food. you'll be on welfare or have to live with your parents or friends.

Wow, interesting! Is it really that expensive to live in the US? If you disregard medical bills and education which i super high to me.
    Seems every second YTB video shows invest in cheap houses, buy cheap food at Wallmart for bulk or whatnot.
    I gotta go there to see for myself soon, truly on my bucketlist!

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post

I agree 100% its definitely not a big money maker. That's if you can get enough client's to do 20 sessions a week. In my part of the country it's hard to find people that are willing or capable of spending that type of money to train long term with a personal trainer.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    I agree 100% its definitely not a big money maker. That's if you can get enough client's to do 20 sessions a week. In my part of the country it's hard to find people that are willing or capable of spending that type of money to train long term with a personal trainer.
    Yeap. I often find that people have somehow confused “head strength coach at a D1 school” money with “guy who trains midlife crisis soccer moms and has a blog” money. One rarely translates to the other.
    Fiskevatten and diesel101 like this.

Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Damn! Pretty decent

I lived in the Northeast of Thailand for two years... well actually just across the border in Laos right on the river. I'd give that part of the world another hundred years.
    Fiskevatten likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Damn! Pretty decent
    Well I’ll be damned

Thread Information