Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Preppers

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!

Preppers

So who here is in to prepping? If you aren't one yet, it might be too late to start and get caught up but things are going to get worse.

It used to be ridiculous to think that today could be the end of civilization as we know it. But with the pandemic, the food and shit-ticket shortages, we all need to be ready.

One thing I like to do is pressure canning foods. Not only does it help you out during emergencies, it really helps with the food budget. You can buy in bulk when prices are low and now have to worry about freezer space. Get it canned up, then when you want to eat it, it's just a matter of reheating the jar's contents (technically, you don't have to reheat it, it's perfectly safe to eat cold from the jar).

The USDA publishes for free (well they use our tax dollars to publish it), safe recipes for canning and you can get a good pressure canner reasonably priced.

I also have caches of rice, various beans, pasta and a lot of drinking water stored. I've also been getting in to learning filtration and purification methods. Also putting together a first-aid kit and stockpiling fish antibiotics.

What else do you guys do to prep?

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Ammo. If I have ammo I can take from unarmed preppers. Lol. Those 5 gallon buckets wit the screw on lids I keep rice beans sugar salt etc. not so much canned goods. Too heavy. Take up space and I’m afraid of botulism. I tend to keep more of the soft package like Wise Food. Water purification pills, bleach and backpack pumps. Vodka is good for medical purposes and trading like currency. Did I mention ammo?
    Honkey_Kong and lovbyts like this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nope, not worth the annoyance of keeping a bunch of shit around that I’ll get tired of looking at. If life gets so bad that I find myself thinking “wow, I wish I had a bunch of shitty canned food to eat”, I already have all of the stock that I need (a .45 and a couple of rounds).
    I’d probably find more interest in actual survivalism than sitting around in a basement, eating a bunch of freeze-dried crap. If not, the freedom to opt out is a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Ammo. If I have ammo I can take from unarmed preppers. Lol. Those 5 gallon buckets wit the screw on lids I keep rice beans sugar salt etc. not so much canned goods. Too heavy. Take up space and I’m afraid of botulism. I tend to keep more of the soft package like Wise Food. Water purification pills, bleach and backpack pumps. Vodka is good for medical purposes and trading like currency. Did I mention ammo?
    Botulism more of a risk of waterbed canning with foods that aren't acidic enough. If you follow the USDA's guidelines, it's perfectly safe.

I've never tried the Wise brand freeze dried foods. I tried the Walmart brand ones while camping/hiking and I was no fan of them. Bleach is one of those things peole should stockpile

I keep my stuff in 5 gallon buckets too. But also inside mylar bags with silica gel packets.

I'm right now trying to learn to metal forge in my spare time and work on other survival skills.

I collect guns and ammo too. I got myself a single stage press that originally I was using for calibers that were expensive like 8mm mauser, but now I find myself using it to make 9mm, 45 acp, .40 S&W and 5.56.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 06-10-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    Nope, not worth the annoyance of keeping a bunch of shit around that I’ll get tired of looking at. If life gets so bad that I find myself thinking “wow, I wish I had a bunch of shitty canned food to eat”, I already have all of the stock that I need (a .45 and a couple of rounds).
    I’d probably find more interest in actual survivalism than sitting around in a basement, eating a bunch of freeze-dried crap. If not, the freedom to opt out is a wonderful thing.
    Canned foods taste great. I'm not talking the cans you buy at the store. I'm talking food you can yourself. They don't have the preservative poisons that the store-bought kinds have. And they're very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Canned foods taste great. I'm not talking the cans you buy at the store. I'm talking food you can yourself. They don't have the preservative poisons that the store-bought kinds have. And they're very convenient.
    Right, but I literally hate (I use that word for very few things) having a bunch of shit laying around that serves no immediate purpose. My last apartment’s contents consisted only of clothes, toiletries, a bed, a desk, the few appliances that I needed, my pistol, and my TRT stuff.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sort of, I decided a few years ago to finally start a little prep and started collecting and labeling things for a little over a year and have several large containers set up with the 25 year supplies, medical, heating and other emergency supplies just in case but not to the point anyone would think I am an extremest prepper. I do need a couple thousand more rounds of ammo though.
    Capebuffalo and Honkey_Kong like this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    I really should, being we are due for a major EQ out here. TY for the reminder.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Sort of, I decided a few years ago to finally start a little prep and started collecting and labeling things for a little over a year and have several large containers set up with the 25 year supplies, medical, heating and other emergency supplies just in case but not to the point anyone would think I am an extremest prepper. I do need a couple thousand more rounds of ammo though.
    Ammo and spare parts incase you need to repair your guns. Also start thinking about bug-out places which have sources of water, food you can forage/hunt/trap and defend (that many others wont think of also going to). My faith in America surviving the next 10 years is next to non-existent.
    lovbyts likes this.

Ammo and spare parts incase you need to repair your guns. Also start thinking about bug-out places which have sources of water, food you can forage/hunt/trap and defend (that many others wont think of also going to). My faith in America surviving the next 10 years is next to non-existent.
    My buddy has 2000 secluded acres. Plenty of water and game. Small camp set up. I’d just have to get there. It’s 1.5 hr from home. If it’s an emp attack that will be a long walk. Lol

Honkey, how does the canning meat work? I’ve seen videos of it but it looks terrible?

Honkey, how does the canning meat work? I’ve seen videos of it but it looks terrible?
    You try to remove as much fat as you can. you cut it in to squares, fill up the jars with the cubes. Then add a liquid (I use low-salt broth, but water will work if you like bland). Depending on your elevation, the pressure you use changes. My elevation means I pressurize up to 12psi. If you live in the mountains 14 or 15psi might be needed.

At these pressures, water boils at a hotter temperature. Hot enough to kill the bacteria, parasites and viruses. Now if you're doing most meats in a quart-sized jar, it requires 90 minutes of cooking time. In a pint sized jar, 75 minutes is needed.

If you follow this you can't go wrong:
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/p...ions_usda.html

That's your tax dollars at work. You'll find people on the internet with their recipes that they claim are safe, the USDA has thoroughly tested every single one of these they publish.

Another book to get (which is the Bible of canning) is called "The Blue Book" and it's by Ball.

Trust me on this, cuts of meat that normally are tough and not very tasty are tender and melt in your mouth. According to the USDA, properly canned food (in proper storage conditions) can last indefinitely. But I can speak from experience 2-year old stew tasted just fine. Actually, I think it tasted better than freshly made stew.
    Capebuffalo and lovbyts like this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    So who here is in to prepping? If you aren't one yet, it might be too late to start and get caught up but things are going to get worse.

It used to be ridiculous to think that today could be the end of civilization as we know it. But with the pandemic, the food and shit-ticket shortages, we all need to be ready.

One thing I like to do is pressure canning foods. Not only does it help you out during emergencies, it really helps with the food budget. You can buy in bulk when prices are low and now have to worry about freezer space. Get it canned up, then when you want to eat it, it's just a matter of reheating the jar's contents (technically, you don't have to reheat it, it's perfectly safe to eat cold from the jar).

The USDA publishes for free (well they use our tax dollars to publish it), safe recipes for canning and you can get a good pressure canner reasonably priced.

I also have caches of rice, various beans, pasta and a lot of drinking water stored. I've also been getting in to learning filtration and purification methods. Also putting together a first-aid kit and stockpiling fish antibiotics.

been prepping for about 7 years or so

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0243.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	179137

Name:	IMG_0244.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	179138

Name:	IMG_0242.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	179139
    main thing being I have a family of 6 to feed, FOOD is number one.. have buckets and buckets of rice sealed in mylar bags. tons of freeze dried stuff, canned food, vacuum sealed stuff etc.. I have 4 large freezers , two in the basement and two in the garage filled with a lot of game meat (my good friend is a hunting guide and donates a lot of meat to me)

everyone has their own mask and a -20 degree sleeping bag in their room (live in a cold climate)

Name:	IMG_0246.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	916.5 KB 
ID:	179140

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	179141

my basement is filled with probably 40 flashlights, piles of batteries, tons of propane bottles, propane cooking equipment, camping open fire stoves, iron utensil, fire starters, boxes of hand warmer, candles, lanterns etc.. and I have multiples of everything ("having two is having one and having one is having none").

my basement and garage is filled, looks like a camping store and a gun store

also have 100s of gallons of stored water.. water purifiers and camping style water filters.. in my garage next to the cars I have backpacks all ready to go and filled up with a 3 day emergency essentials

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	179142

everyone has a bunch of cold weather clothing .. have multiples of boots, gloves, etc..

have lots of hunting gear and game skinning and cleaning kits. and I have the bows, fletch my own arrows, etc. if I need to hunt quietly (of course I have the rifles too).. all the full cammo hunting gear and clothing for multiple settings.
    have topographical terrain maps of certain areas in case I would need to navigate when there is no internet or electricity any more.

heck I even got a bucket to shit in with the pellets that break in down just in case your stuck out in hiding for a few days.

Name:	IMG_0360.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	179143

got a garden as well

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	179144
    but its not doing well this year after getting 20 degree weather and 3" of snow the other day in the middle of June

of course I also have all the weapons and tons of ammo to defend my home if need be ..
    I have tools, axes, saws, etc.. in. multiples , a lot of it all still just sitting their in its original packaging just waiting to be used one day if needed.
    I have 2 jeeps in case need to get away in the middle of a snow storm and have to go off road.

I have a pressure cooker and all the stuff for canning .. but I've never gotten around to actually doing it cause my shelves are full of canned stuff already.

I could go on

but prepping for 7 years.. adding it all up I'd say I probably have spent about $120k on prepping ..
    you can do it on a budge for sure. but being I have a family of 6 and I buy multiple extras of everything (I don't have just one gas mask but many, I don't have one cooking stove but several, I don't have just one AR but many, I don't have just one flashlight but 40, I don't have just one bucket of stored rice but a dozen or so, etc), it can add up really quick.

I think its a good idea to prep no matter the situation. should be a part of life cause you never know if times are going to get rough, and when you study history a lot like I do you know that times getting rough are common place in the world

My buddy has 2000 secluded acres. Plenty of water and game. Small camp set up. I’d just have to get there. It’s 1.5 hr from home. If it’s an emp attack that will be a long walk. Lol
    Find an older Ford truck from the 80's and hotwire it. The metal body will act as a Faraday cage and it'll likely start.
    Capebuffalo and lovbyts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    been prepping for about 7 years or so

Name:	IMG_0243.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	179137

Name:	IMG_0244.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	179138

Name:	IMG_0242.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	179139
    main thing being I have a family of 6 to feed, FOOD is number one.. have buckets and buckets of rice sealed in mylar bags. tons of freeze dried stuff, canned food, vacuum sealed stuff etc.. I have 4 large freezers , two in the basement and two in the garage filled with a lot of game meat (my good friend is a hunting guide and donates a lot of meat to me)

everyone has their own mask and a -20 degree sleeping bag in their room (live in a cold climate)

Name:	IMG_0246.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	916.5 KB 
ID:	179140

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	179141

my basement is filled with probably 40 flashlights, piles of batteries, tons of propane bottles, propane cooking equipment, camping open fire stoves, iron utensil, fire starters, boxes of hand warmer, candles, lanterns etc.. and I have multiples of everything ("having two is having one and having one is having none").

my basement and garage is filled, looks like a camping store and a gun store

also have 100s of gallons of stored water.. water purifiers and camping style water filters.. in my garage next to the cars I have backpacks all ready to go and filled up with a 3 day emergency essentials

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	179142

everyone has a bunch of cold weather clothing .. have multiples of boots, gloves, etc..

have lots of hunting gear and game skinning and cleaning kits. and I have the bows, fletch my own arrows, etc. if I need to hunt quietly (of course I have the rifles too).. all the full cammo hunting gear and clothing for multiple settings.
    have topographical terrain maps of certain areas in case I would need to navigate when there is no internet or electricity any more.

heck I even got a bucket to shit in with the pellets that break in down just in case your stuck out in hiding for a few days.

Name:	IMG_0360.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	179143

got a garden as well

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	179144
    but its not doing well this year after getting 20 degree weather and 3" of snow the other day in the middle of June

of course I also have all the weapons and tons of ammo to defend my home if need be ..
    I have tools, axes, saws, etc.. in. multiples , a lot of it all still just sitting their in its original packaging just waiting to be used one day if needed.
    I have 2 jeeps in case need to get away in the middle of a snow storm and have to go off road.

I have a pressure cooker and all the stuff for canning .. but I've never gotten around to actually doing it cause my shelves are full of canned stuff already.

I could go on

but prepping for 7 years.. adding it all up I'd say I probably have spent about $120k on prepping ..
    you can do it on a budge for sure. but being I have a family of 6 and I buy multiple extras of everything (I don't have just one gas mask but many, I don't have one cooking stove but several, I don't have just one AR but many, I don't have just one flashlight but 40, I don't have just one bucket of stored rice but a dozen or so, etc), it can add up really quick.

I think its a good idea to prep no matter the situation. should be a part of life cause you never know if times are going to get rough, and when you study history a lot like I do you know that times getting rough are common place in the world
    Damn. you got a good setup. I want to get better with a bow. I have a nasty habit of pulling my shot.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    I have ALOT of ammo. I’ll probably just eat the folks that don’t make it, and “borrow” their stuff
    GearHeaded and lovbyts like this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    You guys ever think about how long your test would last you if things went to shit? Last time I calculated about 7-8 years at TRT doses for my stash. But then again I’d have to reuse syringes and needles cause I’d run out in a year.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    You guys ever think about how long your test would last you if things went to shit? Last time I calculated about 7-8 years at TRT doses for my stash. But then again I’d have to reuse syringes and needles cause I’d run out in a year.
    Yeah, but most of the people even intelligent enough to raid pharmacies are going to be after either antibiotics (the smart ones) or painkillers/benzos (the junk junks). Not many going to after test/primo/deca . That’s all me...

Name:	69C633E3-3523-4842-9C21-F29AABE39EDA.jpeg 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	179146

How long do you think his stash lasted?
    Last edited by i_SLAM_cougars; 06-10-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    I have ALOT of ammo. I’ll probably just eat the folks that don’t make it, and “borrow” their stuff
    When I dissect, I inevitably think about how a nice slab of muscle would look on the bbq.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    test is over rated .. if SHTF happened all you would need is your mindset imo

Yeah, but most of the people even intelligent enough to raid pharmacies are going to be after either antibiotics (the smart ones) or painkillers/benzos (the junk junks). Not many going to after test/primo/deca . That’s all me...

Name:	69C633E3-3523-4842-9C21-F29AABE39EDA.jpeg 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	179146

How long do you think his stash lasted?
    That’s him after steroids . Imagine him before the fallout.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Liked because of 'The Road Warrior' Still the best of the Mad Max films, IMO.

He might have had a tren stash that went bad, because why else would you drive your buggy head first into an 18 wheeler? #retroactivespoileralert

Actually, maybe it was halo, not tren...

You ever see No Escape with Ray Liotta?

The marauder mentality is a great way to get yourself killed. The people who prep all have guns to. Take a little time every week and a few extra bucks when you go to the store and buy a few things. Over time it adds up. You already saw what happened when there was a run at the grocery store.
    GearHeaded likes this.

The marauder mentality is a great way to get yourself killed. The people who prep all have guns to. Take a little time every week and a few extra bucks when you go to the store and buy a few things. Over time it adds up. You already saw what happened when there was a run at the grocery store.
    my local grocery store a few weeks back

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	179149

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	844.1 KB 
ID:	179150

Name:	IMG_0233.JPG 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	179151

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	643.5 KB 
ID:	179152

I didn't stress too much on that days grocery run cause I know I had a bunch of food stocked up for my kids already ahead of time..

I was actually out of chicken breast . ended up trading 7.62 ammo with a friend for chicken breast.

I think its a good thing to prep . in the long run we can all help each other out
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

That’s why I said I was going to eat the ones that didn’t prep lol. I was just messing around anyway. I have a decent stash of canned goods, but let’s get real. My ass is never really going to live off of beans as long as there are still tasty animals in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    my local grocery store a few weeks back

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	179149

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	844.1 KB 
ID:	179150

Name:	IMG_0233.JPG 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	179151

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	643.5 KB 
ID:	179152

I didn't stress too much on that days grocery run cause I know I had a bunch of food stocked up for my kids already ahead of time..

I was actually out of chicken breast . ended up trading 7.62 ammo with a friend for chicken breast.

I think its a good thing to prep . in the long run we can all help each other out
    Yeah, that should've been a wake-up call to everybody. Trading is going to be more and more of a necessity. Plus it keep government out of our business. But still, ammo is more precious than gold. I wouldn't trade it.

Worst comes, set up some traps and try to catch some rabbits. They're really lean so there's that plus.

That’s why I said I was going to eat the ones that didn’t prep lol. I was just messing around anyway. I have a decent stash of canned goods, but let’s get real. My ass is never really going to live off of beans as long as there are still tasty animals in the world.
    A couple weeks after the grocery stores are not being restocked, everybody with a gun is going to be out trying to kill every animal they can find. Besides, every hunter's had bad streaks where they didn't catch or hunt anything. Those beans will taste real good when you're SHTF hungry.

Yeah, that should've been a wake-up call to everybody. Trading is going to be more and more of a necessity. Plus it keep government out of our business. But still, ammo is more precious than gold. I wouldn't trade it.

Worst comes, set up some traps and try to catch some rabbits. They're really lean so there's that plus.
    I bought 1000s of rounds of 45 acp ammo 20+ years ago (saying that makes me feel old) and was only $6 a box back then .. what is it now like $32 a box. thats quite a return on investment..
    ammo one of the best things you can invest in. way better gains then gold

also part of why I re load my own ammo when gun range time is high .. prices on stuff like 300 RUM is pretty out of control.

Name:	IMG_2361.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	734.4 KB 
ID:	179153

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    You know, I think I saw that at the theater when it first came out and can not remember much about it. Military guy, kills his CO, goes to some high tech (or maybe island) prison?
    Yes. Not Mad Max but pretty damn good.

Thing is you can eat lean for about of month but your body has to have fat. Fat is worth its weight in silver in a long term survival situation.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

A couple weeks after the grocery stores are not being restocked, everybody with a gun is going to be out trying to kill every animal they can find. Besides, every hunter's had bad streaks where they didn't catch or hunt anything. Those beans will taste real good when you're SHTF hungry.
    Plenty of dog and cat to eat in an average neighborhood.

Plenty of dog and cat to eat in an average neighborhood.
    I'll have a plate of Lassie with a side of Garfield.
    Capebuffalo likes this.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    The wife and I do the "prepping" thing, but to us it's just a '"long term" pantry. Roughly 30 + lbs of rice sealed in mylar bags, plenty of dried beans sealed in mylar bags, cans of freeze dried beef, fruit, etc. For the short term, we have MREs ( meals ready to excrete) which we rotate out every few years.

Of course the wife has some dog food sealed up in mylar as well...again that's more for short term use.

Plenty of seed for the garden stored in airtight containers with dessicant packets. Plenty of whitetail, rabbit, and dove on our land, with just the occasional covey of quail. A couple of decent neighbors that are cattle and goat ranchers....I can barter my skills for food, although they consider us "family".

We're well stocked in the ammo department and keep a little bit of precious metals on hand.

We'll get by.
    Last edited by almostgone; 06-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

The really funny part is that most backwoods fucks don’t understand just how many animals we currently consume. There’s not enough wildlife in this whole country to support half of our consumption for even a couple of months.
    Farmer Bob’s cows, pigs and chickens though? That’s where the getting is good. Unfortunately for most of the marauding types, Farmer Bob will cap your ass, and has the tactical advantage of knowing his land.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    The really funny part is that most backwoods fucks don’t understand just how many animals we currently consume. There’s not enough wildlife in this whole country to support half of our consumption for even a couple of months.
    Farmer Bob’s cows, pigs and chickens though? That’s where the getting is good. Unfortunately for most of the marauding types, Farmer Bob will cap your ass, and has the tactical advantage of knowing his land.

Yes....yes he will. I can't speak for all farmers/ ranchers, but the ones around me have a knack for weeding out the hooligans from those that actually need help and are usually willing to help out the needy.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't call myself a prepper but I would say I am prepared when it all collapse. Food I would say I am good for about a year, ammo and weapons I am good for a very very long time.
    prescription meds 6-12 months ( I can survive without them)
    fuel, I am good until the smoke clears and I can get to my larger reserves.
    Heating will be the issue here in South Dakota when the electricity is shut down. I do have generators and fuel but that can not be used for the long term plan.
    currently looking into Wood/hot water heating system.
    Hunting,fishing and growing my own will not be a problem. Security of it will have to be put into place.

I do keep supplies to make homemade claymores and a few other party favorites if it gets real bad.
    I also have a 67 chevy pickup without electronic ignition incase of emp.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    I wouldn't call myself a prepper but I would say I am prepared when it all collapse. Food I would say I am good for about a year, ammo and weapons I am good for a very very long time.
    prescription meds 6-12 months ( I can survive without them)
    fuel, I am good until the smoke clears and I can get to my larger reserves.
    Heating will be the issue here in South Dakota when the electricity is shut down. I do have generators and fuel but that can not be used for the long term plan.
    currently looking into Wood/hot water heating system.
    Hunting,fishing and growing my own will not be a problem. Security of it will have to be put into place.

I do keep supplies to make homemade claymores and a few other party favorites if it gets real bad.
    I also have a 67 chevy pickup without electronic ignition incase of emp.
    I feel you in regards to the heating issues living in a cold climate.. thats one of my biggest concerns as well living in the rocky mountains.
    this is my garden destroyed by snow and 50mph winds just a couple days ago (and its supposed to be summer)

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	179178
    this was June last year 5 days after my kids got out of school for summer break

Name:	IMG_0089.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	179179

so with a family of six the power goes out in the middle of January it gets damn cold and that concerns me the most.. have plenty of food but hard to find heat.
    last winter we had a blizzard hit us with 70mph winds and took out power for 2 days. you'll be surprised how fast your house can get to freezing ass cold with no heat and no sun and no furnace. cooking was fine on the propane camp stove.. relaxing and reading a book under all the emergency candle lighting was fine .. but it got damn cold.
    I have a generator but save that for more emergency use when I have to have electricity for some task to perform.

everyone in the family has wool socks, wool blankets, negative 20 degree sleeping bags, etc.. so wasn't too bad even though it was below freezing in the house for 2 days.
    unfortunately , I sold my house to build my gym and I live in a rental house right now, so can't install a wood burning stove..
    the last two homes I built and owned near the continental divide at 9400 feet , I installed wood burning stoves. they work great and with a flat top you can boil water and cook on them, also don't use near as much wood as an open fire place.

I have camping heaters that are pretty darn good that take dual propane canisters and will heat up a room pretty quick.. but thats more a worst case scenario tool if need..
    if you get your whole family in one small room, close the door, have them with wool blakets and wool socks and caps, -20 degree sleeping bags... then you light some candles which provide some amount of btu and add some heat to take the edge off. you'll all be fine and comfortable.

this is also why a lot of us here carry emergency packs in our cars with some basics, and in that basic pack we carry emergency candles.. if you run off the road in the middle of the rocky mountains in the middle of a blizzard and you may not be found for days, you'll freeze to death in your car. but the candles lit in your car will actually provide just enough btu to take the edge off and provide some heat.

cold is something we have to deal with and think about here.. I'm sure its much cheaper and easier to prep in south Florida . you don't have to invest in -20 sleeping bags, boots, gloves, etc.. for the whole family.

another important part of prepping is your 'mind set' and simply educating yourself.
    most you all know I am book nut and have 1000s of books.
    heres a few prepper books I pulled off the shelf

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	179180

prepping is about educating yourself .. not just using it as an excuse to buy a bunch of guns ammo and food.

your "MIND" and skill are an important aspect in prepping
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 06-12-2020 at 12:25 PM.

The road is offline Banned- I said my goodbyes.

I have been hearing the end of the world crap for 30 years.
    We arent done. We are all just that much more socialist and enslaved to the gov now.

The road is offline Banned- I said my goodbyes.
    Youtube pemmican
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

From my experience, it's better to cure it out and vacuum seal it, but for really long term storage, freeze dried cans of meat are hard to beat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information