Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree20Likes
  • 7 Post By yeahbuddy289
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By yeahbuddy289
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By amyst
  • 2 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By Cylon357
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 2 Post By yeahbuddy289

Thread: Just had laser eye surgery!

  1. #1
    yeahbuddy289's Avatar
    yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,116

    Just had laser eye surgery!

    No more glasses or contacts for me boys! It was rough yesterday for a couple hours but was fine by the afternoon. Had my post op appointment and Iím already at 20/20. So far so good. Hoping I donít have any complications but this was the ďlatest and greatestĒ way of doing it. I know Iíll need reading glasses down the road but I donít read that much anyways haha. What a hell of a procedure it was thoughÖ amazing what modern medical science can do.
    wango, lovbyts, songdog and 4 others like this.

  2. #2
    wango's Avatar
    wango is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    No more glasses or contacts for me boys! It was rough yesterday for a couple hours but was fine by the afternoon. Had my post op appointment and Iím already at 20/20. So far so good. Hoping I donít have any complications but this was the ďlatest and greatestĒ way of doing it. I know Iíll need reading glasses down the road but I donít read that much anyways haha. What a hell of a procedure it was thoughÖ amazing what modern medical science can do.
    Congrats!

    My wife had hers done 5 years ago. Had worn glasses then contacts practically her entire life - she loved the results.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

  3. #3
    yeahbuddy289's Avatar
    yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Congrats!

    My wife had hers done 5 years ago. Had worn glasses then contacts practically her entire life - she loved the results.
    Glad everything is still good for her 5 years down the road. Hoping I don’t run into any problems.
    wango likes this.

  4. #4
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,581
    I want to fight in amateur boxing and so I can't get braces for my teeth nor laser eye surgery.

    When I'm done boxing I might get teeth and eyes done.

  5. #5
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    26,008
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Glad everything is still good for her 5 years down the road. Hoping I don’t run into any problems.
    My wife had LASIK done in '03 or '04. Went from worse than 20/400 uncorrected to 20/15 l. eye and 20/20 in r. eye. So far she's still very happy not to need glasses that look like the bottom of a Coke bottle or wear the rigid contact lenses.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  6. #6
    yeahbuddy289's Avatar
    yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    My wife had LASIK done in '03 or '04. Went from worse than 20/400 uncorrected to 20/15 l. eye and 20/20 in r. eye. So far she's still very happy not to need glasses that look like the bottom of a Coke bottle or wear the rigid contact lenses.
    Glad to hear she’s still happy with it. My only fear, other than some of the possible side affects, is now my eyes have a flap that could potentially come undone if I take a hit to the eye. I’ve made it this far in my life without an eye injury but with my luck it will probably happen now lol

  7. #7
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    26,008
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Glad to hear she’s still happy with it. My only fear, other than some of the possible side affects, is now my eyes have a flap that could potentially come undone if I take a hit to the eye. I’ve made it this far in my life without an eye injury but with my luck it will probably happen now lol
    Are you referring to the flap they peel back when reshaping the eye, and then they lay the flap back down for it to mend ? If so, follow the orders they gave you closely. You want that flap to lay in place and heal.

    My wife had to keep hers moistened very well with eye drops...I don't recall if it was just artificial tears or something stronger. I want to say there were 2 eye drops....one was artificial tears and one was either corticosteroids or antibiotics. Been so long that I don't recall.

    Anyway, she followed their instructions exactly and she's survived having 200+ lb. mastiffs crash into her when they were playing, multiple eye pokes from nieces and nephews, etc.and she's done well.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  8. #8
    yeahbuddy289's Avatar
    yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Are you referring to the flap they peel back when reshaping the eye, and then they lay the flap back down for it to mend ? If so, follow the orders they gave you closely. You want that flap to lay in place and heal.

    My wife had to keep hers moistened very well with eye drops...I don't recall if it was just artificial tears or something stronger. I want to say there were 2 eye drops....one was artificial tears and one was either corticosteroids or antibiotics. Been so long that I don't recall.

    Anyway, she followed their instructions exactly and she's survived having 200+ lb. mastiffs crash into her when they were playing, multiple eye pokes from nieces and nephews, etc.and she's done well.

    Yeah I was referring to that flap. They said in 6 weeks it will be “fully healed” but there is always a risk it can come back up if I take a good hit to the eye. I am taking antibiotic and steroid drops, and just regular eye drops as well. I’m sure it was explained to me but I didn’t really know that flap isn’t like a cut on your arm, it never fully heals to its original strength I guess?

  9. #9
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    26,008
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Yeah I was referring to that flap. They said in 6 weeks it will be “fully healed” but there is always a risk it can come back up if I take a good hit to the eye. I am taking antibiotic and steroid drops, and just regular eye drops as well. I’m sure it was explained to me but I didn’t really know that flap isn’t like a cut on your arm, it never fully heals to its original strength I guess?
    That I am unsure of, ybuddy. I would definitely follow any precautions they told you. I just know so far the wife's has held up well and she's been very happy.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  10. #10
    amyst is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    94
    Speed recovery! I can imagine how good is that when you can start seeing without glasses again.
    I wish something like that would be available for hearing as well, and i wouldn't need to visit hearing aid supplies store once in a while.
    When you lose hearing, the only option is to wear hearing aids till the rest of the life, of course if you want to hear something.
    Last edited by amyst; 04-29-2023 at 09:23 AM.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

  11. #11
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    10,760
    Congrats on not having to wear glasses anymore. I've always wanted to get it done too. How much does the total procedure go for?

    And since some of us are getting older, is there anything they can do so we don't need reading glasses anymore? I've been regularly buying phones with progressively bigger screens the last couple times I've upgraded. I've got a note now. But It's like pulling a fvuking tablet out of my pocket every time I use the phone.
    Cylon357 and yeahbuddy289 like this.

  12. #12
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    26,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Congrats on not having to wear glasses anymore. I've always wanted to get it done too. How much does the total procedure go for?

    And since some of us are getting older, is there anything they can do so we don't need reading glasses anymore? I've been regularly buying phones with progressively bigger screens the last couple times I've upgraded. I've got a note now. But It's like pulling a fvuking tablet out of my pocket every time I use the phone.
    My vision keeps changing .....and changing....and changing. Started around 40-45 years old. I wear a script glasses now and asked if I would be a candidate for some kind of LASIK or something. They just gave me an negative response. I think it's dependent on how far out of whack your vision is and your history.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  13. #13
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    24,669
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    My vision keeps changing .....and changing....and changing. Started around 40-45 years old. I wear a script glasses now and asked if I would be a candidate for some kind of LASIK or something. They just gave me an negative response. I think it's dependent on how far out of whack your vision is and your history.
    If you are both near and far sited they can correct distance but then you would need readers. I said no thanks and will just keep wearing progressive lenses
    almostgone likes this.

  14. #14
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    26,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    If you are both near and far sited they can correct distance but then you would need readers. I said no thanks and will just keep wearing progressive lenses
    That's exactly what I'm wearing, Bio. I'm more far sighted than near, but both need correction.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  15. #15
    yeahbuddy289's Avatar
    yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Congrats on not having to wear glasses anymore. I've always wanted to get it done too. How much does the total procedure go for?

    And since some of us are getting older, is there anything they can do so we don't need reading glasses anymore? I've been regularly buying phones with progressively bigger screens the last couple times I've upgraded. I've got a note now. But It's like pulling a fvuking tablet out of my pocket every time I use the phone.
    Got hooked up on the procedure, all I had to pay was the cost the surgery center charges, all in all it was around $2,800. I spend an easy $2-300 a year on contacts so in the end it will be worth it, plus the convenience of never having to wear them again.

    I’ve heard they have eye drops available that help with seeing close up… might be worth looking into.

  16. #16
    yeahbuddy289's Avatar
    yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    My vision keeps changing .....and changing....and changing. Started around 40-45 years old. I wear a script glasses now and asked if I would be a candidate for some kind of LASIK or something. They just gave me an negative response. I think it's dependent on how far out of whack your vision is and your history.
    If your vision keeps changing you wouldn’t be a good candidate for it… best to wait. They can do revisions after you have it done but I’d rather wait and just do it once.

  17. #17
    lovbyts's Avatar
    lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    30,176
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Are you referring to the flap they peel back when reshaping the eye, and then they lay the flap back down for it to mend ? If so, follow the orders they gave you closely. You want that flap to lay in place and heal.

    My wife had to keep hers moistened very well with eye drops...I don't recall if it was just artificial tears or something stronger. I want to say there were 2 eye drops....one was artificial tears and one was either corticosteroids or antibiotics. Been so long that I don't recall.

    Anyway, she followed their instructions exactly and she's survived having 200+ lb. mastiffs crash into her when they were playing, multiple eye pokes from nieces and nephews, etc.and she's done well.
    You are all welcome. I had one of the first surgeries done in the 80s (not with a laser) where they pealed the outer surface of the eye off, put a lens under and laid it back over with like 30 small stitched. They said it was experimental and video taped the entire thing for future teaching.

    I also had one of the first lens transplants in the 90s. Before that they told me it was impossible because part of the handle that holds the lens in place was missing. I had great fun when the lens broke loose on time and was sort of floating around. It was still attached at the top. I went to see a specialist and he checked my eye and asked me why I was sent to him. I explained and he said they were wrong, its in place. I said Oh wait a sec. Tilted my head up and back down and said look again. Lens was gone. He said thats impossible for me to move it in place. I leaned my head down and to the side a little and back up. Said look again. Yup, back in place. He called in 2 other doctors to watch me. lol
    Cylon357 likes this.

  18. #18
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    AKA "Nice Guy Cy"
    Posts
    2,736
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Congrats on not having to wear glasses anymore. I've always wanted to get it done too. How much does the total procedure go for?

    And since some of us are getting older, is there anything they can do so we don't need reading glasses anymore? I've been regularly buying phones with progressively bigger screens the last couple times I've upgraded. I've got a note now. But It's like pulling a fvuking tablet out of my pocket every time I use the phone.
    TLR aka total lens replacement is something you might want to look at and kind of sounds like what lovbyts is describing. I talked about it with a doc about 15 years ago when they decided maybe I wasn't a good candidate for Lasix. Evidently, my left eye is shaped more like a football than it should be...

    Though maybe keep in mind his procedure was 20+ years ago, I hope they have gotten better at it now :green:
    lovbyts likes this.

  19. #19
    bullshark99 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,012
    Think that was called RK surgery?

  20. #20
    < <Samson> >'s Avatar
    < <Samson> > is online now Neurologically Intact
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    AZ Side
    Posts
    12,751
    Blog Entries
    2
    Skipped all of the posts

    Both wives had it

    Nothing short of a miracle. Both came in needed heavy prescriptions, came out seeing nearly perfect within 72 hours

    #2 had a very heavy script and required a thick glass contact inserted by the optometrist & switched out every 48 hours for two weeks


    BTW: how much did it cost? I forked over cash for #2 - I think it was right under 4k
    Last edited by < <Samson> >; 04-23-2023 at 07:09 PM.
    lovbyts likes this.

  21. #21
    yeahbuddy289's Avatar
    yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    Skipped all of the posts

    Both wives had it

    Nothing short of a miracle. Both came in needed heavy prescriptions, came out seeing nearly perfect within 72 hours

    #2 had a very heavy script and required a thick glass contact inserted by the optometrist & switched out every 48 hours for two weeks


    BTW: how much did it cost? I forked over cash for #2 - I think it was right under 4k

    Got hooked up and only had to pay around 2800
    < <Samson> > and lovbyts like this.

  22. #22
    < <Samson> >'s Avatar
    < <Samson> > is online now Neurologically Intact
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    AZ Side
    Posts
    12,751
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Got hooked up and only had to pay around 2800
    Also the intensity of procedure makes for the cost

    I straight paid cash for #2 and I it’s the “best” they’d do me - but, she also went to the same place as #1 did

    Shit, her mommy makeover cost me a whooole a lot more

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •