BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Does Alaska suck or no?

I'm giving serious consideration to not working this year (i have my whole life to do something as foolish as that) and instead just "going" somewhere for the hell of it before I have a family and/or other stuff and obligations that prevent me from doing such. I thought about maybe saying f*ck it to everything and heading to Alaska for a year. Why not? I figure rent must be dirt cheap and it'll even help with law school admissions (they like to say they have someone from all 50 states). I know I'll never get a chance to live it up somwhere extreme like that again, so why not now? Has anyone ever been for an extended period? How different is say Anchorage or Fairbanks from a small east coast city like Manchester, Providence or New Haven?

someday is offline Member
    I have a couple of friends from alaska, one of them was born there...the other goes during the summers for fishing. In most of the bigger towns its pretty much like suburban life everywhere but in the smallertowns like the fishing towns and stuff lifes a lot harder. I always wanted to do something like this as well....maybe backpacking europe or something,who knows. Oh yah....my sisters roomates brother is stuck on some island in alaska becuase even though he's working he cant afford a ticket back to the mainland......

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    Sounds like your going to do exactly what I'm planning on doing next summer. I had to watch a video on Alaska and it looked awesome. Just seems like the most relaxing place. We had a guest stay at our place from Alaska and she fits the typical Alaskan stereotype....polite and relaxed as can be. She offered to let me stay at her place next summer if I decided to go to Alaska but after dealing with the cold Vermont winters I'll be thinking warmth and sunny.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I considered the backpacking Europe thing, but A) it's just too cliche, and B) I hate hiking and backpacking. I'm not sure why I'm suddenly so drawn to Alaska...i just think it'd be cool to say I lived there one day.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Dude, you know no one that goes 'backpacking' actually backpacks anymore, they fly, take cabs, and ride the trains and ferries.

someday is offline Member
    Associate Member
    " Dude, you know no one that goes 'backpacking' actually backpacks anymore, they fly, take cabs, and ride the trains and ferries."

what a bunch of losers..........anyone ever been to australia? that place always looked fun.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I hear steroids are legal to use in Alaska.

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    I have been there 3 times.I have familia in anchorage. WHY I WOULD NEVER MOVE THERE, the guy to girl ratio is like 4 to 1 in favor of men. But hey if your into fishing, glaciers, and shit you will never see in New England then go for it.

Hey after you have lived there a year i belive the state gives you close to a grand a year for free, something to do with oil money.

I would get a motorcycle and go cross country instead of just plain ole backpacking. Buy yourself a nice FATBOY and hook that shit up.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Do it man.........you only live once...........

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Alaska is beautiful...Clean and quite memorable..especially the Matanuska Valley...defiantely a gotta see.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    BG, I say you don't have a hair on your sack if you don't get out of your current state and head to Alaska. Tell you what you pay for it and I'll go for you. HA

Bro if you have the funds then get out and see the country! Enjoy life today; there might not be a tomorrow.

Thread Information