magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer

Does MILK THISTLE really protect you?

Please read the following dialogue and comment if appropriate.
    Thanks,

M.
    ----------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vitor
    Has it ever been proven that Milk Thistle will help de-tox the liver with aas use?

"Bill Roberts" said in one of hes interviews that it doesnt help anything as far as liver-toxity is concern
    ---------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magic32
    Okay, let’s go into some detail. Firstly, I’d never argue with a proven and established veteran like Bill Roberts, so let me begin by agreeing that clinical studies have indeed been anecdotal (mostly inconclusive with both positive, negative results), and below I’ll present some of the positive ones. Therefore, most of the support is from historical evidence and laboratory tests, which are highly positive. Let’s examine the aforementioned support:

HISTORICALLY
    It's been used since ancient Greece, and closely associated with the health of the liver for centuries. This single factor is the bulk of it why it's used today. Quite simply things that don't work 'TEND' to fall out of favor over time, but this belief has endured. Arguably, so have many superstitions, so lets continue. Conditions including cirrhosis, viral and alcohol-induced hepatitis, and fatty infiltration of the liver have all shown improvement when treated with an extract of Milk Thistle. Even the poisons most dangerous to the liver, those contained in the Deathcap mushroom, can be effectively detoxified with Milk Thistle extract. (1)

FUNCTIONING
    Milk Thistle yields three main active compounds known collectively as Silymarin, which work in a number of ways to restore liver health. Firstly, Silymarin inhibits the factors responsible for causing liver damage. As well, it increases the liver's content of a substance called glutathione which is responsible for detoxifying many chemicals, drugs and hormones. Silymarin also stimulates the growth of new liver cells so that damaged areas of the liver may be regenerated. (2)

REFERENCES
    1. Pizzorno, J. & Murray, M. A Textbook of Natural Medicine, Volume II. John Bastyr College Publications, Seattle. (V:SilbM) 13, 1988.
    2. Murray, M. The He****g Power of Herbs,
    2nd Edition. Prima Publishing,
    California. 244245, 1995.
    3. Morazzoni, P. & Bombardelli, E. Fitoterapia, Volume LXVI. (1): 3334, 1995.
    4. Murray, M. The He****g Power of Herbs, 2nd Edition. Prima Publishing, California. 244, 1995.
    5. Ibid., 248.

LAB TESTING - NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/pdq/cam/milkthistle

POSITIVE CLINICAL STUDY ABSTRACTS

(AN AAS SPECIFIC STUDY)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

I wouldn't say the evidence is overwhelming, because admittedly it isn't, but if Bill Roberts told me rice and seafood weren't good for me, I'd point to Asia. Similarly, in this case I have to point to history and lab tests, in the absence of significant research proof. So, Bill's the man, but if I'm using orals MT is in my arsenal.

M.

fhorst is offline Associate Member
    interesting read. and yes, I have no idea if it realy helps. (but it does not hurt either)

wrx
    wrx is offline Associate Member
    IT doesent help! its bullshit, i took it when i was on m1t cycle and it didnt even help a little with my liver values!

Auto54 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx
    IT doesent help! its bullshit, i took it when i was on m1t cycle and it didnt even help a little with my liver values!
    Not trying to flame, but how the heck do you know? Did you get tested before and after the cycle? Did you get tested after each cycle since then? What are you comparing your "first cycle liver values" to?

hardgainer12 is offline Senior Member
    i think it awesome! I had horrible back pains from d-bol and milk thistle help soooo much w it! Ita a "vitamin" not a scam! Its like asking if vit C really works

grimnlock is offline Associate Member
    BUMP!!
    I'm curious... anyone else... any comments?!!

New Juice is offline Associate Member
    I don't know if it works but i take it for peace of mind...figure it's not hurting me any

tranzit is offline Senior Member
    LOL people who say MT dosent work have no idea what they are talking about. It works, Plain and simple. Anyone who uses it knows it works.. you can actualy feel the diffrence when you forget to take it.

tranzit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead947
    Not trying to flame, but how the heck do you know? Did you get tested before and after the cycle? Did you get tested after each cycle since then? What are you comparing your "first cycle liver values" to?

Copper look at WRX's beginning posts and you will understand his experience level a little more. He is one of the people who should NOT be posting info on things like this as he dosent have experience with it.

magicstick2003 is offline Anabolic Member
    ill agree with tranz on this one.. if i forget totake it i can definitly feel a difference... usually lower back area. Regardless if u believe it does or not it's like 4 bucks for a months worth so it really can;t hurt to take it.

Phenom is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicstick2003
    ill agree with tranz on this one.. if i forget totake it i can definitly feel a difference... usually lower back area. Regardless if u believe it does or not it's like 4 bucks for a months worth so it really can;t hurt to take it.
    So how often do you take it and in what dosages bro?

grimnlock is offline Associate Member
    Any other comments? Guys... feel free...

Brent_G is offline Associate Member
    my liver values were about 3 times higher then normal when takign milk thistle and m1t. (couple years ago) So i dont know if it really helped me much at all either..

But i do still take it regardless. If there is any chance it helps im gonna take it. Not like its really expensive.

magicstick2003 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom
    So how often do you take it and in what dosages bro?
    i usually go with a gram of it ED. usually two doses. works sometimes ill feel kinda weird so i take a little more... o the one time i drank at the superbowl i took like 3 grams for a few days.

beezlebubb666 is offline Associate Member
    man i was told to take 100mg ed... the pills are 140mg thad be an ass load of pills to take ed...

Jayhawk21 is offline Junior Member
    I don't see how you notice when you don't take it. I can't notice at all. Not to say it doesn't work, but you are better off taking Tylers Liver Detox.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I only take milk thisle during PCT, fcuk taking it during a cycle, I doubt it helps THAT much.

Thread Information