tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member

Anti depressants and AAS....????

Hi guys,

I am on an anti-depressant (yeah i can't believe it either) but after 1mth it seems to have helped quite a bit. My mood seems more even and not as gloomy. I don't want to be on them forever....just goin through a rough period.

In addition, I have taken a break from the juice (about 6 mths now) and was wondering if AAS and anti-depressants are a BAD??

I'm not a heavy user of AAS...about 1-1.5 cc's of 200mg a week was enough for me to get results...

Anyone have any experience doing Anti-depressants and AAS?

Is this a dangerous combination??

Your constructive input is greatly appreciated...

thanks!!

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldnt say dangerous it's just a really good idea to be of sane mind before starting any cycle. IMO

JasonR is offline Member
    I take MAO-B inhibitors (deprenyl) with cycles and its not dangerous or something... it doesnt seem to do anything with mood although its anti depressant.. i just take it as a nootropic

tcw
    thanks for

Hmmm.....from what i've read MAO is a drug that inhibits senality...Don't know if this is classified as a Anti-depressant.

please...Anyone Else....?

xero is offline Associate Member
    I've done 5 cycles while on SSRI's. No problems at all.

Rando911 is offline Associate Member
    Some of the older antidepressants are extreemly strong drugs and can effect much more than the seritonen in the brain. I think you may want to get a professional opinion before risking your life for your muscles. Just my humble opinon.

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    not a problem a lot of members here use anti depressants whilst using...........

Remember.............for us to help you you need to help us....................stats and exp.........

Source checks and Ugl's to be kept to PM's
    dont ask for source checks unless you have 100 posts/and 45 days minimum as a participating member.........

Booz.. a long-standing member of the AR Police:

sorry but absolutely no sources will be checked at this present time....

TallMan is offline Associate Member
    I wouldn't do orals when you're on anti-depresants cause they're both hard on the liver

anti-depressants are hard on the liver? didnt know that. I imagine any drug is to some extent.

Gnarley is offline New Member
    I was on prozac for a year. I'm not sure it was directly from tren or just a coincidence. It didn't really have any noticeable effects.

Quote Originally Posted by tcw View Post
    Hi guys,

I am on an anti-depressant (yeah i can't believe it either) but after 1mth it seems to have helped quite a bit. My mood seems more even and not as gloomy. I don't want to be on them forever....just goin through a rough period.

In addition, I have taken a break from the juice (about 6 mths now) and was wondering if AAS and anti-depressants are a BAD??

I'm not a heavy user of AAS...about 1-1.5 cc's of 200mg a week was enough for me to get results...

Anyone have any experience doing Anti-depressants and AAS?

Is this a dangerous combination??

Your constructive input is greatly appreciated...

thanks!!
    i know im on lamictal mood stabilzer for cyclothymia aka mild bipolar disorder. and it never messed with medications, i think u should ask ur doc, but i got a gut feeling it wouldn't be that bad, if ur diagnosed with dysphoria, mild depression i'd say its safe to try it out, but anything more serious then that, i would without question advise against it, without consulting doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarley View Post
    I was on prozac for a year. I'm not sure it was directly from tren or just a coincidence. It didn't really have any noticeable effects.
    true, and with the high liver values you get from orals the anti-depressants might poison you (that's what my psych said) and of course you cannot use milkthistle cause that will lessen the effect of your anti-depressants

Noobie4LIFE is offline Banned
    I'm on anti-anxiety/depressents and so forth. Are miracle drugs for me. Make me happy and sane.

I saw where you said your wanting to come off them soon...Be careful, Many come off and the depression/anxiety hits them 10 fold of what it is before...Brain and body come accustimed to the drugs.

About Steroids and side effects while taking them.

I have had 0. Done outragous oral cycles no problem. Done most of the injectables out there no problem. Have drank alcohol on orals and them no problem. Have I gotten suicidle...???? No feel better while on cycle. Off cycle I get alittle touchy here and there. Get pissed off and such but I'm old enough to control my actions.

You'll be fine. BUTTTTTT don't get offf the anti-depressents during PCT or closely after. Your hormones are just coming back in sync. Don't want all hell to break loose. Before you know it you'll be jumping around like richard simons off a building.

Noobie4LIFE is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TallMan View Post
    true, and with the high liver values you get from orals the anti-depressants might poison you (that's what my psych said) and of course you cannot use milkthistle cause that will lessen the effect of your anti-depressants

WHAT??? Lets see some actual proof of this....

Quote Originally Posted by Noobie4LIFE View Post
    WHAT??? Lets see some actual proof of this....
    I bought a bottle of milkthisle and I read in the leaflet that milkthisle will lessen the working of medicines. So I figured I'd better not take milkthisle then.

I'm not sure if there's any medical articles about this though.

meathead320 is offline Member
    The only thing I would want to make sure of, If I were in you shoes, is to look into the possibility that low-testosterone itself could be causing the depression.

It would be a good idea to get tested:

LH
    FSH
    Testosterone
    Free-Testosterone
    Estradiol (E2)

As well as the common side areas of AAS :
    Liver
    RBC
    Cholesterol

You say you were on 200mg EW, of test, and got good results, and while that is not unheard of it can be an indicator that your natural level may have been low before, as 200mg is a rather low dose. It will get you a little higher than natural sure, however is low for a typical cycle, and is more the high end of TRT.

Being off for 6 months, and being depressed, together, just screams getting tested for low testosterone .

How did you feel when on the 200mg EW?

reck is offline New Member
    have used a.s. and celexa together with no problems

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead320 View Post
    The only thing I would want to make sure of, If I were in you shoes, is to look into the possibility that low-testosterone itself could be causing the depression.

It would be a good idea to get tested:

LH
    FSH
    Testosterone
    Free-Testosterone
    Estradiol (E2)

As well as the common side areas of AAS :
    Liver
    RBC
    Cholesterol

You say you were on 200mg EW, of test, and got good results, and while that is not unheard of it can be an indicator that your natural level may have been low before, as 200mg is a rather low dose. It will get you a little higher than natural sure, however is low for a typical cycle, and is more the high end of TRT.

Being off for 6 months, and being depressed, together, just screams getting tested for low testosterone .

How did you feel when on the 200mg EW?
    i agree 100% 200mgs of test is less then i need to shoot eod to recive results and if that is working for you then maybe your extremly low natural test levels are the problem here.

tcw
    Thanks guys...

I felt good on the 200 EW and did short cycles of 6 weeks. Nothing to heavy...but enough for me to see results...which is all i wanted. I'm 47...so...12 lbs of extra muscle makes me feel good.

I Got depressed because of business conditions and issues with the now x-girl friend (saw her for 2 yrs....tough breakup).

I'm gonna try and ease off the "celexa." I'm using 20 mgs a day...and i'm gonna try to cut it down in half for about 1 mth....and then a little less. I want to wiene myself off the stuff....and not be on it too long....but as "Noobie4" said....i want to watch my moods closely...

Its a tough period....(sigh).

I'm hangin in there.....

pip_squeek is offline Associate Member
    i am on efexor 150mg been on it for the past 2yrs i dont 2 cycles no harm at all infact controls ur temper u dnt gte as agressive on test. plus helps with the diet

meathead320 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcw View Post
    Thanks guys...

I felt good on the 200 EW and did short cycles of 6 weeks. Nothing to heavy...but enough for me to see results...which is all i wanted. I'm 47...so...12 lbs of extra muscle makes me feel good.

I Got depressed because of business conditions and issues with the now x-girl friend (saw her for 2 yrs....tough breakup).

I'm gonna try and ease off the "celexa." I'm using 20 mgs a day...and i'm gonna try to cut it down in half for about 1 mth....and then a little less. I want to wiene myself off the stuff....and not be on it too long....but as "Noobie4" said....i want to watch my moods closely...

Its a tough period....(sigh).

I'm hangin in there.....

Your 47 years old, and 200mg EW is close to the top end for HRT uses, and you get good results when cycling it, and when off of it you are depressed.

You may want to look into weather you may need HRT?

Go to the HRT section here, read some back posts on how to find a good doctor for it, and get those blood tests ran man.

I take 160mg EW, as TRT, after I was hit in the nuts with rock 3 years ago, that dropped my test level to only 1/3rd what it should have been.

That is only 40mgs less than you use on cycle, and the 200mg that works for you is often given as HRT in some cases.

If your 47 years old, and feel depressed, and cannot make gains in the gym, the very first thing that shoudl pop into your head is "I should get screened for andropause ".

whiteowl is offline Associate Member
    my doc tried prescribing anti-depressants to me for 1+ years .... finally demanded a testosterone test and ended up with enth injections ...no depession....no meds....just low test....my experience is low test causes depression like symptoms

AaronJM1984 is offline Member
    Why get off the anti-depressants at all? Are they working? If so, then why stop? I take Paxil. In the past, I'd feel awesome, then decide "shit I don't need these damn pills" a week later I'm a basket case. The only bad thing I see about cycling and anti depressants is...obviously people who take anti-d's suffer from some sort of depression, well in my experience when finishing a cycle and starting PCT I feel sad, prob. due to test being shut down. Don't listen to anyone about liver damage either, 4 weeks of d-bol for instance and prozac or whatever ain't gonna hurt ya!

flexin-rph is offline Member
    Agreed...there shouldn't be much of a chance of liver problems w/ AD's. The majority of drugs are metabolized by the liver, just the simple fact some are harder to break down than others.

PureLife07 is offline Associate Member
    Bro i am on lexapro along with test and have not seen any problems

Garbanzo Dude is offline Member
    I take Lexparo for anxiety.....and feel great during cycle. The only issue is PCT, so I lower my Lexapro dosage during cycle and raise it back up during PCT.

tcw
    Hmmm....interesting comments. I think i can lower my Anti-depressants while on cycle...and then up them while off.... but that maybe a vicious cycle....

I really want to dump the anti-depressants....

On my off cycles....i have found tongcat-ali works to get my levels back up. Maybe i should try some of that.

I will follow up with a Blood Test...see what my levels are at...

Thanks all...!
    Last edited by tcw; 03-04-2008 at 10:06 PM.

Thread Information