Marie987 is offline New Member

Steroids and Hair Loss

Hi everyone,
    I have a question. I am a female and my fiance has been taking steroids for years. The problem is he isn't losing his hair, I'm losing mine. I've been to the doctor and have had all kinds of tests done and everything is normal. Is it possible for him to pass steroids through semen, saliva, etc. to me?

TTLex is offline Junior Member
    Is this a serious question?

Bigmax is offline Retired VET~ If you dont know... ask me
    No...you igh need to talk to a doctor about that..you may have alopecia or something related...or better yet talk to your fiance...

bigp750 is offline Junior Member
    she's a female... its better to ask then to asume its him

Yes it is a serious question. Before you attempt to insult my intelligence:

There has been cases where a woman who was highly allergic to penicillin had sex with someone who was on the antibiotic and she had an allergic reaction. There have been cases where cocaine has been detected in semen by a user. Mucous membranes are incredibly sensitive and absorb substances easily.

If he is taking androgenic steroids , and if I am genetically sensitive to it and he is not, then it seems possible that he can be passing on some of it to me.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If it is something he is injecting or taking orally NO.

If he is taking it topically YES... I believe it even stats on it about being careful with 2ndary contact. Also there was a episode of house that dealt with this. LOL

As for the other senarious you suggested such as the antibiotics and recreational drugs then the recipient needs to be careful what she is ingesting.

You are talking TRACE amounts so lets not get carried away or be paranoid.

I tell my girl she should pay me for the extra testosterone she is getting. hahahaha

Atomini is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie987 View Post
    Yes it is a serious question. Before you attempt to insult my intelligence:

There has been cases where a woman who was highly allergic to penicillin had sex with someone who was on the antibiotic and she had an allergic reaction. There have been cases where cocaine has been detected in semen by a user. Mucous membranes are incredibly sensitive and absorb substances easily.

If he is taking androgenic steroids, and if I am genetically sensitive to it and he is not, then it seems possible that he can be passing on some of it to me.
    You should not have any allergic or 'genetically sensitive' reactions to testosterone , as you ALREADY have testosterone inside your body!

As to whether or not it can be passed through body fluids to another person, no that is wrong. There is a small amount of various hormones in semen, but nothing of which will cause a large enough buildup of testosterone in YOUR body that you would start losing hair.

If that would be the case, then trust me, your voice would start deepening, your clitoris would be growing to the size of a small penis, and you would start growing chest and body hair before you start losing hair on your scalp.

What you need to do is see a dermatologist, as you could have a rare case of female alopecia or something, which has nothing to do with anabolic steroids .

tboney is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    You should not have any allergic or 'genetically sensitive' reactions to testosterone , as you ALREADY have testosterone inside your body!

As to whether or not it can be passed through body fluids to another person, no that is wrong. There is a small amount of various hormones in semen, but nothing of which will cause a large enough buildup of testosterone in YOUR body that you would start losing hair.

If that would be the case, then trust me, your voice would start deepening, your clitoris would be growing to the size of a small penis, and you would start growing chest and body hair before you start losing hair on your scalp.

What you need to do is see a dermatologist, as you could have a rare case of female alopecia or something, which has nothing to do with anabolic steroids.
    I agree...

Has your doc checked your thyroid levels?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome---and as mentioned: -topically YES if used in gel or cream---this does get tranferred easily to you if applied to his skin and you have contact with him within a couple hours
    and I agree--GET YOUR THYROID checked too

Atomini is offline Banned
    Last couple of posters have made good points. Hair loss can be an indication of lack of thyroid output (hypothyroidism).

Thanks everyone for the insight. I don't mind my fiance doing steroids (which is a lot more than most women say) as long as it doesn't affect me. I'm not very fond of the holes in the walls and doors either, but oh well.

I have had my thyroid checked. Just TSH and free t4 which came back normal, but that doesn't tell everything. I do have a lot of hypothyroid symptoms so I guess it's back to the doctor for me. Just wanted to rule everything out before I gave the bastard another grand.

Thanks all.

I don't think the test is what would cause hair loss anyway. The hair loss issue is related to DHT, which test will break down into. Many other DHT and test derived steroids will also increase levels of DHT in the body. Is it possible that this is being transmitted through semen? Sure, but my guess is the level is incredibly low. However it could theoretically still cause an issue for someone who was DHT sensitive. Like for example a person prone to pattern baldness (which is not just a male thing). Does this run in your family on the female side?

Other things to consider: diet (malnutrition can lead to hair loss), certain vitamin deficiencies or overages can also lead to hair loss, and anxiety can lead to hair loss. Just a few more things to consider.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thanks everyone for the insight. I don't mind my fiance doing steroids (which is a lot more than most women say) as long as it doesn't affect me. I'm not very fond of the holes in the walls and doors either, but oh well.

I have had my thyroid checked. Just TSH and free t4 which came back normal, but that doesn't tell everything. I do have a lot of hypothyroid symptoms so I guess it's back to the doctor for me. Just wanted to rule everything out before I gave the bastard another grand.

Thanks all.
    Are you saying HE punches holes in the walls and doors? That is not due to the steroids so be forewarned. He may be trying to play it off as road rage but there is NO such thing. It can in very few cases enhance someones already overly aggressive behavior but it can not and does not cause it.

Basically if someone has a tenancy to be a jerk they can be a bigger jerk when they take steroids but mostly it's due to the enhanced well being and they just get a bigger ego than before.

Dont let him kid you into thinking he is only like that when he is taking AAS. It's like the alcoholic who only hits you when he's drunk, does it matter he is drunk? NO, he is still a jerk only more so when drinking.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 08-21-2010 at 11:27 PM.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries

Thanks all.
    this most def isnt steroid related, thats prick related!! test has a calming chilled out effect, believe it or not. dont read in2 the roid rage hype, its rubbish, i used to be quite quick to lose my temper (not tht badly though), im now on trt and it has chilled me out

All true. Roid rage is a myth. Steroids like any drug have a tendency to be used by people with psychology that is already marginal. They may cause a person who is already aggressive to be more so, or they may get a person who bottles up their anger to let some of it out (like alcohol), but they don't change a person's personality. Any personality traits that manifest themselves while a person is on steroids were already there to begin with, all they needed was a trigger. That could be steroids, it could be a person doing 55 in the fast lane on the highway. The point is that the person was already a ticking time bomb, but in American society people tend to shift blame to the most convenient target. As part of the concerted effort on the part of certain elements within our government to demonize steroids the myth of roid rage has been fostered and perpetuated for decades.

Thread Information